Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,549 members, 7,955,041 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:14 PM

Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US (1871 Views)

Download Fresh Afrobeats (9JA) 2016 Party Mixtape, All Hits Back To Back! / Afrobeats Nonstop Mix 2014 Vol. 1 By DJ Ebis / Psquare, Wizkid, Ice Prince And Basket Mouth Headline 2011 Afrobeats Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by mruknaijaboy(m): 9:53pm On May 14, 2012
due to the heavy amount of black british who are of african descent and artists such as Wizkid D'Banj Davido just to name a few and the ghanian dance called azonto Afrobeats has taken over the raving scene in the uk since last year I would say, they even have hour long sets on popular radio stations in the UK such as BBC 1Xtra and Londons urban radio station ChoiceFM, i remember the times in clubs when they would only play one or two afrobeats songs and then the rest would be bashment but now afrobeats gets played for majority of the time the club its been played in or gets an equal amount of time as hip-hop and bashment,

Just wanna say to all my west africans, east africans, central africans and southern africans in the western world keep supporting the afrobeats scene so we can make our music a music genre standard like hip-hop or rock or pop or bashment or dance, and it provide a means for some of our brothers from back home to eat and to make us africans in the western world to be proud of being full blooded africans, we owe it to ourselves

I wanted to know what the afrobeats/afromusic scene is like in other parts of Europe and in the US where I would presume there would be alot of africans there also, is there alot of africans over there in US or is it more dominated by african americans and carribeans?
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by queensmith: 9:58pm On May 14, 2012
Soo true- very exciting! I still can't get over 9ice's performance at hyde park and Oliver playing at trafalgars new years celebration. It's nice to be known for positive things for a change!
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by mruknaijaboy(m): 12:28am On May 17, 2012
queensmith: Soo true- very exciting! I still can't get over 9ice's performance at hyde park and Oliver playing at trafalgars new years celebration. It's nice to be known for positive things for a change!

yeh thats definitely true, just gotta keep pushing it more and more, D'banj single Oliver Twist is out in the UK so every african whos in the UK or has access to itunes support it and buy it wherever you buy your records from and lets get it to number one here in the uk
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by Nobody: 1:18am On May 17, 2012
Notin dey happen for California. Plenty of Africans in the US but California's dulling. We have great shows and parties, but Afro anything is still very much within the African community, unless it's Nneka or Asa we're talking about. Maybe New York, DMV, and Texas peeps can give us their 2 kobo.
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by CocoNilla(f): 1:49am On May 17, 2012
I know, I'm so exited! lol, sounds over dramatic but I get SO exited when I put on mainstream stations like Choice or Kiss even and hear it lol.
honestly, I pay out money for this stuff even if I'm not that into it, just to support the whole thing, ya know smiley
but same way i buy that Reggae Reggae Sauce just to support black business lol
I think its blacks in general moving forward, not just us
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by mruknaijaboy(m): 7:18pm On May 20, 2012
ogugua88: Notin dey happen for California. Plenty of Africans in the US but California's dulling. We have great shows and parties, but Afro anything is still very much within the African community, unless it's Nneka or Asa we're talking about. Maybe New York, DMV, and Texas peeps can give us their 2 kobo.

arr man thats a shame, u lot gotta push it out there more, we repping it hard over here, u should come to a club in London and see what its like right about now, we got the club scene on smash right about now

CocoNilla: I know, I'm so exited! lol, sounds over dramatic but I get SO exited when I put on mainstream stations like Choice or Kiss even and hear it lol.
honestly, I pay out money for this stuff even if I'm not that into it, just to support the whole thing, ya know smiley
but same way i buy that Reggae Reggae Sauce just to support black business lol
I think its blacks in general moving forward, not just us

lol i dont even buy that reggae raggae sauce shit, let them jamos buy it lol, but yeh anything thats african I will buy and support,

personally I havent noticed blacks moving forward in general over here, We are still behind black people in the US in being represented on tv, thats why people abroad think theres no black people in the UK lol, only in the music charts in the uk you could say blacks are being represented slightly as there are a few black uk artists who are topping the UK charts like Tinie Tempah, Tinchy Stryder,Labrinth, Dizzee Rascal,Chipmunk,Wretch 32, Wiley (and hopefully D'Banj) which is the most uk black artists that I can think of thats in the charts at the same time,

but us as africans have moved forward heavily in terms of being represented in the uk raves and stuff whereas before you wouldnt hear no afrobeat songs in the club and only bashment and I would have to listen to afrobeats in my house lol
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by CocoNilla(f): 4:08am On May 22, 2012
true lol.
convo I had as a kid once-
white kid: Are you Jamaican?
me: no
white kid: why are you black then.

yea... I think we've moved forward lol. But now, white people think all blacks are either Jamaican or Nigerian, nothing else lol.
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by mruknaijaboy(m): 8:31pm On Jul 27, 2012
CocoNilla: true lol.
convo I had as a kid once-
white kid: Are you Jamaican?
me: no
white kid: why are you black then.

yea... I think we've moved forward lol. But now, white people think all blacks are either Jamaican or Nigerian, nothing else lol.

wow i just saw this comment now lol, yeh its true i think its because there are more Jamaicans and Nigerians in the UK than any other black countries, white kids think were all the same anyway they cant even tell the difference lol

oh just incase you never knew Dbanj Oliver twist went to no.3 on the UK Top 40 chart, well done to Dbanj! grin, now hes gotta make another tune which is going to top Oliver Twist which is gonna be damn hard

and theres going to be an event called Love Afrobeats, psquare wande coal and may d are gonna be there, and theres gonna be another one with Dbanj and Davido but im not sure what its called, afrobeats is doing alot,im proud to be african! cool
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by consept: 12:03am On Jul 29, 2013
Check out http://www.afrotapes.com/, has a lot of good UK afrobeats stuff, but also afrobeats from around the world. Theres a new interview with Fuse ODG on it now
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by chriskwaku: 2:55pm On Jul 29, 2013
Re: Afrobeats Scene Is Taking Over In The UK Whats The Afrobeat Scene Like In The US by chriskwaku: 4:32pm On Jul 29, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Simi – Controlla (remix) / Get Give Ear O Shepherd By Kola Mike Ft. Ayo Jeje For Free / Kehinde Abolaji Sir Simple In Film Location With Wazo, Soji Omo Banke, Sunny Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.