Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Is Kingship Still Relevant In Present Day Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Kingship Still Relevant In Present Day Nigeria? (2408 Views)

Happy Independence Day Nigeria (with The Most Beautiful Images Ever). / I Am Still Alive, I Am Still Relevant / Which Tribe Is The Earliest In Present-day Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Kingship Still Relevant In Present Day Nigeria? by Emmyk(m): 11:44pm On May 15, 2012
Please guys its an assignment given to me. Reasonable points please.
Re: Is Kingship Still Relevant In Present Day Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 4:36am On May 16, 2012
It depends the only respected people with titles now like that are

1. the Oba of Benin
2. the Emir of Sokoto
3. we also have what we call Lamido (high chief) in Fulani society.

But these guys don't really have the same impact that they used to have in the olden days pre-colonization
Re: Is Kingship Still Relevant In Present Day Nigeria? by odumchi: 5:33am On May 16, 2012
In some places, the influence of the monarchy is still alive and strong. The Emir of Kano and the Caliph of Sokoto still play large roles in Northern affairs. The Oba of Benin is still very much relevant in Edo state, also. The Eze Aro, Obi Onicha, Obong Calabar, and Eze Nri are still big and influential men but nowadays they are mostly cultural symbols rather than political figures.

Fula man is right. Most of these guys don't have much power and what little they do have is only a fraction of what they had in the pre-colonial days.

1 Like

Re: Is Kingship Still Relevant In Present Day Nigeria? by Emmyk(m): 10:58am On May 16, 2012
Thanks guys.
Re: Is Kingship Still Relevant In Present Day Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 7:47pm On May 16, 2012
Well said Odumchi.
I think the Oba of Benin is still very much a strong force to reckon with even in politics in the state.

(1) (Reply)

15 Things I Hate About My Culture / Beauty Of Women In Culture(pictures) / Jesse Jagz N Se Ojo Ibi Loni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.