Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? (9939 Views)

How Did You Spend Your Today Sunday [my Pics For Today Outing] / 3 Day Workshop On Electricity Business In Nigeria / What Did You Spend Your Weekend Doing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by alahamad(m): 7:25pm On May 16, 2012
With the present price of PMS(petrol) in Nigeria, I guess one will spend about #1000 naira to obtain 12hours of power supply through the evening and intense heat of the night thereby summing an average of #30,000 naira montly.

If power is constant and you spend (hat amount monthly, I believe its best cos you wouldn't have to wake up with a painful ear due to the generator noise all through the night.

Please I would like to knw if the estimate above is true cos I hardly stay long whenever in Nigeria and I prefer staying in a safe Hotel cos of the level of insecurity....

Your positive response would be cool....cos am working on something.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Maxymilliano(m): 1:32pm On May 17, 2012
I spend 1,940 every week for 20Lts of PMS to power my gen every evening.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by cyril83(m): 1:33pm On May 17, 2012
al-ahamad:
With the present price of PMS(petrol) in Nigeria, I guess one will spend about #1000 naira to obtain 12hours of power supply through the evening and intense heat of the night thereby summing an average of #30,000 naira montly.

If power is constant and you spend (hat amount monthly, I believe its best cos you wouldn't have to wake up with a painful ear due to the generator noise all through the night.

Please I would like to knw if the estimate above is true cos I hardly stay long whenever in Nigeria and I prefer staying in a safe Hotel cos of the level of insecurity....

...tell us wat ur working on Mr president...nxt topic plzzz
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by cogbuagu: 1:36pm On May 17, 2012
my meter de read very fast.

Please can the prepay meter be adjusted.

If yes who does that?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by miteolu(m): 1:40pm On May 17, 2012
N2000 (141 units) in Six months because I use pre-paid meter which means no light no unit deduction. But generator N1000/WEEK (home/residential use only)

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Tosynoe2(m): 1:48pm On May 17, 2012
It can't be quantified!
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by seankola(m): 1:49pm On May 17, 2012
Lol...I don't think your figures are accurate because the 'COSTS' also involves the purchase of the generating set, risk of using the highly flammable machine, the health hazards, cost of servicing, buying parts e.t.c and hey, the psychological effect and cost of not having power when needed most e.g, my generating set cannot power my 2 air conditioners and my deep freezer simultaneously. Did u say i should purchase a bigger gen? sorry, even if my salary isnt up to that, I suffer that much cost! I will stand at 50k p/month all inclusive.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 17, 2012
2k daily = 60k per month; 2 Generators, 1 for day and another for night...Turn on ACs at your peril, cost goes up!
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On May 17, 2012
~$15 dollars daily and you have not computed that you are probably better off switching over to 100% solar at that point? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Anyone, or company that spends more than $2.50/day on electricity ought to switch immediately to renewable source, rather than continue to pour money down the drain.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Ayomivic(m): 2:05pm On May 17, 2012
miteolu: N2000 (141 units) in Six months because I use pre-paid meter which means no light no unit deduction. But generator N1000/WEEK (home/residential use only)
You are in which state?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by buJu234: 2:13pm On May 17, 2012
I spend average of 30k per mth. using both gasoline (petrol) gen & also diesel generators...;

i see it as one of the cost of doing business in Nigeria
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by EvilBrain1(m): 2:14pm On May 17, 2012
I typically spend about 8 thousand per week on petrol to run my gen at night. This is because NEPA is virtually nonexistent in my area and Surulere is crazily hot and full of mosquitos. There's also the cost of engine oil and repairs everytime it breaks down.

I used to pay over N7000 per month on NEPA bills which were always estimated even though I have a perfectly functional meter (I once got a bill of N8000 despite the transformer haven blown 6 weeks earlier.)

Eventually, I got tired and went to see my marketer. I ended up paying over 21k to settle outstanding bills and to pay various fees to fix all the clerical fückups that led to them not reading my meter. Now my bill is less than N200 a month. Though I still think it's too much considering how many hours a week I get light.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Faheedat: 2:21pm On May 17, 2012
Comrades, what are saying now CAN YOU IMAGINE DELTA STATE GOVERMENT FUELS 6 GENERATORS WITH N3.6BILLION IN 4 YEARS?
just to power street light in Asaba and Warri only
Where are we going?
Only GODS KNOWS HOW MUCH THEY ARE USING TO POWER THE GOVERNMENT HOUSE IN ASABA ON DAILY BASIS
Minister, Senators, Advicers to GEJ wake up and do something about Energy sector now
GOD BLESSS NIGERIA
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 17, 2012
with pre paid.spent about 5k per month.two gen set 6k for diesel and about 10k for petrol.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Faheedat: 2:24pm On May 17, 2012
miteolu,
Please educate us on how to use 141 units for six month in Prepaid meter.
Define your state and how long PHCN give you light on daily bases
E ko o ni ba jeoooooooooo
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by PETERANDRE(m): 2:27pm On May 17, 2012
al-ahamad:

al-ahamad:

you are very correct my guy but dont forget cost of engine oil too. but note this figure wont work for any generator above above 3.00kva .
A sound 2.5 kva gen will consume an average of 10.1 litres of fuel for 12 hours making it 1000naira for 12 hrs power suppy
A sound 1.0 kva gen will consume an average of 4.6 litres of fuel for 8 hrs making it 6.9liters @ 670 naira for 12 hrs power supply
while a sound tiger gen 950 which is exactly about 0.6kva will consume about 3.3 litres of fuel for about 8 hrs making it 4.95litres @480 naira for 12 hrs power supply. exculding cost of mixing engine oil with the fuel.

These estimation is based on personal experience.

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by PETERANDRE(m): 2:28pm On May 17, 2012
you are very correct my guy but dont forget cost of engine oil too. but note this figure wont work for any generator above above 3.00kva .
A sound 2.5 kva gen will consume an average of 10.1 litres of fuel for 12 hours making it 1000naira for 12 hrs power suppy
A sound 1.0 kva gen will consume an average of 4.6 litres of fuel for 8 hrs making it 6.9liters @ 670 naira for 12 hrs power supply
while a sound tiger gen 950 which is exactly about 0.6kva will consume about 3.3 litres of fuel for about 8 hrs making it 4.95litres @480 naira for 12 hrs power supply. exculding cost of mixing engine oil with the fuel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by PETERANDRE(m): 2:29pm On May 17, 2012

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by ochiaha1(m): 2:32pm On May 17, 2012
I spend an average of N1,500 per day fuelling my Generator sets, two actually, but one is bad right now. This translates to N10,500 per week; N42,000 per month and N504,000 per year which could have invested in any small-scale industry angry

The above computation shows where most of the savings of the average Nigerian family goes and accounts for the low level of investment in Nigeria. This is because savings equals investments S=I.

If public electricity supply is constant and PHCN is billing me about N7,000 per month, then my annual electricity bill would have been N84,000, which would have left me with N420,000 to invest (N504,000 MINUS N84,000). What a real waste sad
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by KOLLYDAP: 2:39pm On May 17, 2012
I spent approximately 3900 monthly
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by norrisman: 2:50pm On May 17, 2012
My folks use 200 litres of diesel every week to power their 20 year old 21KVA generator. The generator is switched on overnight and is used for approimately 12 hours on week nights/mornings and is on for approimately 18-20 hours on Saturdays/ Sundays.

That is approimately N32,000 per week! which translates to N1.65 million per year. NEPA self dey bring their own bill make them see something collect but I am not sure how much that is.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 17, 2012
undecidedi dont have a meter so wen those s.t.u.p.i.d nepa crooks come to my estate for disconnection, i just give them 500naira till another month comes.why shld i pay for wat i dont consume in d first place?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by crowaddy(m): 3:33pm On May 17, 2012
Faheedat: Comrades, what are saying now CAN YOU IMAGINE DELTA STATE GOVERMENT FUELS 6 GENERATORS WITH N3.6BILLION IN 4 YEARS?
just to power street light in Asaba and Warri only
Where are we going?
Only GODS KNOWS HOW MUCH THEY ARE USING TO POWER THE GOVERNMENT HOUSE IN ASABA ON DAILY BASIS
Minister, Senators, Advicers to GEJ wake up and do something about Energy sector now
GOD BLESSS NIGERIA

This is a nobrainer and pure stupidity from the Delta State Govermnent.
What these people and majority of Nigerians fail to realise is that Resouces are scarce, you are supposed to prioritise allocation and usage to derive maximum benefits. I do not see the benefits of spending so much on street lightening as against the numerous alternatives that are available!
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by sammirano: 3:38pm On May 17, 2012
3K Daily 90K monthly 2 generators 1 for day the other for night, even as am typing am annoyed because that power can't fully satisfy no freezer or AC there.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by sammirano: 3:41pm On May 17, 2012
berem: undecidedi dont have a meter so wen those s.t.u.p.i.d nepa crooks come to my estate for disconnection, i just give them 500naira till another month comes.why shld i pay for wat i dont consume in d first place?

funny I also do that atimes.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by crowaddy(m): 4:04pm On May 17, 2012
ochi-aha:
I spend an average of N1,500 per day fuelling my Generator sets, two actually, but one is bad right now. This translates to N10,500 per week; N42,000 per month and N504,000 per year which could have invested in any small-scale industry angry

The above computation shows where most of the savings of the average Nigerian family goes and accounts for the low level of investment in Nigeria. This is because savings equals investments S=I.

If public electricity supply is constant and PHCN is billing me about N7,000 per month, then my annual electricity bill would have been N84,000, which would have left me with N420,000 to invest (N504,000 MINUS N84,000). What a real waste sad

That would be good for you but you should realise that some folks will start going around looking for some unpatriotic persons to sabotage and reduce the N7,000 per month to N500 thereby reducing the ability of the generating company to raise enough funds to cover its costs which then leads to the vicious cycle that we are in at the moment
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by miky(m): 7:28pm On May 17, 2012
crowaddy:

That would be good for you but you should realise that some folks will start going around looking for some unpatriotic persons to sabotage and reduce the N7,000 per month to N500 thereby reducing the ability of the generating company to raise enough funds to cover its costs which then leads to the vicious cycle that we are in at the moment

lol any business person that puts their own money into electricity in nigeria is doomed for, it would simply be stolen and sabotaged...citizens and governments are crooks who deserve each other.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by victorian(f): 8:30pm On May 17, 2012
miky:

lol any business person that puts their own money into electricity in nigeria is doomed for, it would simply be stolen and sabotaged...citizens and governments are crooks who deserve each other.

True words, its terrifying the decay in the actions of both citizens and government, especially most of them angry May God help Nigeria.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Jina24(f): 10:12pm On May 17, 2012
#2,000, most times even less than that and our power suppy is very constant.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by HoTeToSe: 10:33pm On May 17, 2012
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by TayoD1(m): 11:37pm On May 17, 2012
@Kobojunkie,

~$15 dollars daily and you have not computed that you are probably better off switching over to 100% solar at that point?
How does the economics work out?

Anyone, or company that spends more than $2.50/day on electricity ought to switch immediately to renewable source, rather than continue to pour money down the drain.
$2.50/day? Are you serious? My home electric bill in the US is about $180/month on the average. That is $6/day on the average. How can you run an industry on $2.50/day?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Nobody: 12:42am On May 18, 2012
Kobojunkie: ~$15 dollars daily and you have not computed that you are probably better off switching over to 100% solar at that point? shocked shocked shocked shocked

You make quite a bit of sense.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buy And Sell Your Gift Cards / Woman Unfairly Detained At Swiss Airport For Carrying Fake Designer Handbag / Naija News: Woman Pretending To Be A Soldier Rearrested In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.