Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,548 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? (9955 Views)

How Did You Spend Your Today Sunday [my Pics For Today Outing] / 3 Day Workshop On Electricity Business In Nigeria / What Did You Spend Your Weekend Doing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Kobojunkie: 1:00am On May 18, 2012
Tayo-D:
@Kobojunkie,

How does the economics work out?

$2.50/day? Are you serious? My home electric bill in the US is about $180/month on the average. That is $6/day on the average. How can you run an industry on $2.50/day?

I have a small office out in the area and I pay less than $30 a month on electricity there. The last small business I worked at spent about $60 a month on electricity. I know this because I had seen the bill from the electric company on more than one occasional while contracting there. There are other companies that pay a lot less than $180 a month for electricity, maybe not factories or large establishments but small businesses do exist that pay less than $2.50 a day for electricity.

On what I said earlier. I believe that anyone, or company, that pays more than $2.50 a day for electricity, is a good candidate for renewable, I meant every word. And this especially as concerns Persons and Companies in Nigeria. Considering the money is in addition to money used to maintain the generators, and the amount does not go to contribute in building future and better power supply in Nigeria, but to the pockets of the rich and already oil drenched elites.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Kobojunkie: 1:04am On May 18, 2012
norrisman: My folks use 200 litres of diesel every week to power their 20 year old 21KVA generator. The generator is switched on overnight and is used for approimately 12 hours on week nights/mornings and is on for approimately 18-20 hours on Saturdays/ Sundays.

That is approimately N32,000 per week! which translates to N1.65 million per year. NEPA self dey bring their own bill make them see something collect but I am not sure how much that is.

Boasting aside, Switch to Solar Panels . . . you have so much sunlight in Nigeria that reading posts like yours makes one realize even more why Africans are so many times more different in critical ability than their European counterparts.

Since the 1970's Europeans, many of them, who have moved to Africa to live full-time, have taken advantage of Solar Panels, and Wind mills, and have been able to live in even the remotest areas of Africa, with 24/7 electricity available to them. These technologies have been tried and tested right in our backyards and so it is nonsensical to continue thinking that when using generators. It is a shame that people spend so much money to FEED the OIL MARKETERS AND ELITE but then turn around to COMPLAIN about it. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR PETE'S SAKE~!

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by gbadexy(m): 7:08am On May 18, 2012
I sha hope the op wont now come and say how increasing the electricity tariff would make electricity stable and much less than what we spend to fuel our gen.thats mr president's word
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Nobody: 7:56am On May 18, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Boasting aside, Switch to Solar Panels . . . you have so much sunlight in Nigeria that reading posts like yours makes one realize even more why Africans are so many times more different in critical ability than their European counterparts.

Since the 1970's Europeans, many of them, who have moved to Africa to live full-time, have taken advantage of Solar Panels, and Wind mills, and have been able to live in even the remotest areas of Africa, with 24/7 electricity available to them. These technologies have been tried and tested right in our backyards and so it is nonsensical to continue thinking that when using generators. It is a shame that people spend so much money to FEED the OIL MARKETERS AND ELITE but then turn around to COMPLAIN about it. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR PETE'S SAKE~!

I understand your point. But one would have to invest in loads of solar panels to tap enough electricity that will power very heavy appliances/machines for long periods of time. I guess the initial cost would be too monumental.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by msb247(m): 10:33am On May 18, 2012
50k per month. about the same for diesel. 100k per month only on electricity. cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by supernet4(f): 12:02pm On May 18, 2012
i spend 2800 naira fuel in 3 days, that is aproximately 28000 naira in a month day nd nite not a full day half a day nd i use a prepaid metre which i load 5000 naira card for a year. this is really unbearable, wot is d government doin with our tax money, government should pease do sumtin about our electric situation in nigeraia
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by ochiaha1(m): 12:31pm On May 18, 2012
crowaddy:

That would be good for you but you should realise that some folks will start going around looking for some unpatriotic persons to sabotage and reduce the N7,000 per month to N500 thereby reducing the ability of the generating company to raise enough funds to cover its costs which then leads to the vicious cycle that we are in at the moment

@crowaddy, you are right that some bad elements will try to sabotage the effort of PHCN through tampering with their equipment to ensure they are under-billed and PHCN loses its revenue.

However with technology, the activities of such unscrupulous people can be checked. For example, the introduction of the Pre-paid Meter will ensure that a consumer will pay for any electricity he consumes, unlike now where consumers use electricity and pay later with many of them, especially government establishments refusing to pay outrightly !!!

PHCN could come up with a Technology in the meters, so that if you illegally try to reduce the amount for which you pay for consuming electricity by tampering with the meter, you will be unable to do so because you need a special code to be able to do this. I think this is very possible.

For those who do illegal connection from high-tension PHCN wires to their house, bypasssing the use of an Electric Meter, I think PHCN should have the technology from their offices to view houses that are rightfully connected to their high-tension wires and those that are not. I have often wondered why PHCN cannot have an electronic board in their offices that will indicate to them houses without electric supply, as they are not usually aware until you report to them. 8
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Kobojunkie: 2:06pm On May 18, 2012
uhonmora:

I understand your point. But one would have to invest in loads of solar panels to tap enough electricity that will power very heavy appliances/machines for long periods of time. I guess the initial cost would be too monumental.

You don't understand my point at all. Please it is OK to go ahead and questions when you are in doubt of what is being said.

Again, FLUSHING LOADS OF MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN MAKES NO SENSE. Purchasing Solar Panels is INVESTING IN A SOURCE THAT IS THERE FOR YOU MONTH AFTER MONTH . . . and PAYS FOR ITSELF DOWN THE ROAD. Every year Nigerians and the Nigerian government flush well over $160 million down the drain by fueling their generator sets. That is too much money to send down the drain. That money is NOT helping the economy, neither is it positively impacting the electricity problem.

There is NOTHING MONUMENTAL about the initial cost of Solar or the cost of adding more Units to an existing System. What is monumental here is the alarming rate at which people, who could otherwise benefit from a source that pays for itself many times over, choosing instead to flush money, week after week, down the drain . . . money that they will never be able to use again,after it is gone.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by cemeseh(m): 5:13am On May 20, 2012
angrypay much when no light that's not normal. Ppl let's do something now. That's all. Ok?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Nobody: 11:04am On May 20, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You don't understand my point at all. Please it is OK to go ahead and questions when you are in doubt of what is being said.

Again, FLUSHING LOADS OF MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN MAKES NO SENSE. Purchasing Solar Panels is INVESTING IN A SOURCE THAT IS THERE FOR YOU MONTH AFTER MONTH . . . and PAYS FOR ITSELF DOWN THE ROAD. Every year Nigerians and the Nigerian government flush well over $160 million down the drain by fueling their generator sets. That is too much money to send down the drain. That money is NOT helping the economy, neither is it positively impacting the electricity problem.

There is NOTHING MONUMENTAL about the initial cost of Solar or the cost of adding more Units to an existing System. What is monumental here is the alarming rate at which people, who could otherwise benefit from a source that pays for itself many times over, choosing instead to flush money, week after week, down the drain . . . money that they will never be able to use again,after it is gone.

Calm your horses. I am not against solar energy at all. I am just saying that the initial cost of purchasing a solar system that would power heavy appliances/industrial machines for long periods would be monumental for a lot of people. Good PV panels are still quite expensive in nigeria. If there are schemes in place that allow people spread payments over a number of months/years, more people will be able to afford it.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by Daykoozy(m): 5:12pm On Apr 27, 2015
buJu234:
I spend average of 30k per mth. using both gasoline (petrol) gen & also diesel generators...;

i see it as one of the cost of doing business in Nigeria
That one na bad business. Anyway how this thread has so little activity? Priorities people.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Electricity In Nigeria??? by CodeTemplar: 5:11am On May 25, 2019
KOLLYDAP:
I spent approximately 3900 monthly
Lol...monthly? or is it $3900?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Change My Username?? / Woman Unfairly Detained At Swiss Airport For Carrying Fake Designer Handbag / Naija News: Woman Pretending To Be A Soldier Rearrested In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.