Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,792 members, 7,956,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:43 PM

How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? (4327 Views)

How Much Money Can Change Your Life? / Money Must Be Made. / How Do You Make Your Career Truly International? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by MyPeace(f): 12:11pm On Sep 06, 2006
Yes Seun U are absolutely right, not having a godfather in government.
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by babalawo(m): 5:12pm On Sep 06, 2006
if u dont have money to rigg elections pls dont come yet;maybe 2011 will do
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by alabiyemmy(m): 12:37am On Jan 05, 2007
@ larger_20

You will be surprised when you get to know the number of people with Masters degree and CGPA of over 4.0 compared to 3. which you have.

You all agree it is not easy to save money overseas, therefore, you dont have to wait and count how much money you are able to save before deciding to do something. I have been here four four years, but on my third year here, I have already gotten the sence and wisdom to start a business back home. Therefore, it is not how much you are able to save, it is the amount of sense you are able to gain while sojourning in the white man's country.
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by LiquidMind(m): 3:53am On Apr 05, 2007
I  want to have 10 billion € Euros before i come back to the heart of darkness.
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:21am On Apr 06, 2007
LiquidMind:

I  want to have 10 billion € Euros before i come back to the heart of darkness.

and by the time you come back, the 10 billion euro will not be needed because almost everyone will have it then, because by then, there will be light everywhere, light as in light, prosperity, peace, growth and power. Please stay where you are.
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by oziomatv(m): 4:07pm On Dec 27, 2007
alabiyemmy:

@ larger_20

You will be surprised when you get to know the number of people with Masters degree and CGPA of over 4.0 compared to 3. which you have.

You all agree it is not easy to save money overseas, therefore, you don't have to wait and count how much money you are able to save before deciding to do something. I have been here four four years, but on my third year here, I have already gotten the sence and wisdom to start a business back home. Therefore, it is not how much you are able to save, it is the amount of sense you are able to gain while sojourning in the white man's country.

this is the most intelligent answer I've ever get.
in western world don't count how much you made but amount of sence and experience you get, with them you make a Lot of money.
but if you come back with lot of money without experience to run a business you'll be forced to go back maybe this time to look for your pension.
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by seyibrown(f): 2:27am On Aug 06, 2008
I'll suggest that you have enough money for two houses, two cars, a small or medium size business that'll generate enough income to fund your standard of living plus a nice sum of money in a high yielding account.

Try to plan your resettling over a period of 2 years.(Saving the money takes more than 2 years, me thinks)
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by ShogunSP: 9:03am On May 14, 2009
Most people are just stuck abroad, can't even work and can't even go back home, just want to use some dodgy passport, take out a loan and scram!!! So, how much money is realistic to go back to Nigeria for good
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by tkb417(m): 2:16pm On May 15, 2009
in addition to the money, bring ur brains
dont forget it o.

U'll need ur brains more than u need the dough.
As for how much? 25milla will be adequate
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 5:54pm On May 15, 2009
From the way things are going, hardly will anybody abroad be able to come back after a while. I mean, once you've got a good job abroad, family responsibilities, income, expenses, coming to naija will be a hard sell. Mostly people who are coming back these days are the peeps who just went, studied and left immediately after.
Cost of living is higher in naija, though tax is less.  Jobs are not available, and the credit crunch means the multinationals will slow down on recruitment in general, in the coming year. Outside the multinationals, and the banks, you can hardly get a decent wage anywhere else, or even a relevant job.

As per money, it's not really applicable. Even if your life savings are equivalent to, say, 5m, don't move all your funds back just like that. I want to believe it's not that someone is chasing you from over there. Come first and see how far. Then you really know exactly what you need.

Starting a business in Nigeria is not all that it's cracked up to be. I won't even recommend anyone comes back to start a business without doing some sort of market test or feasibility study, so you can learn how to operate in this environment. Else your funds will just be wasted by smart men who will filch you out of every kobo. If you want to do business here, just stay away from the so-called 'quick wins'. They might destroy you. Also, you need to be wary of family and friends. People still feel people coming from abroad have money.

I would recommend that anybody coming back should not be too quick to burn their bridges. Like tkb said, you need your brain much more than even money. You can decide to take a contract position in yankee, and take some time off and come to naija to see if you can blend in. That is for the very well established abroad. If you are struggling abroad, you can come back home and try for a job, just forget business in the short term.

Most importantly, never ever try to fit Naija into your yankee lifestyle and mindset. Consequences might just be disastrous. There's no system here to rely on to see you through. You may just have to be your own 'system'. But I think overall, for the not-so-encumbered-with-responsibilities, it is worth a try, and once you jettison all stereotypical ideologies, you should cope nicely. Be realistic, don't expect things to be as cut-and-dried as they are in UK or US or Canada, and live each day at a time. It is, after all, our only country.
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by violent(m): 5:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
Cost of living is higher in naija, though tax is less. Jobs are not available, and the credit crunch means the multinationals will slow down on recruitment in general, in the coming year. Outside the multinationals, and the banks, you can hardly get a decent wage anywhere else, or even a relevant job.

I don't see how this can be true!

@OP:

The question of how much money depends mostly on individual lifestyle and preferences.

I also think people who are in the UK should learn to take advantage of Investment opportunities in the western financial markets. Keeping all your money in a savings account in the hopes of coming to settle down in Nigeria someday is a very foolish idea.
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
violent:

I don't see how this can be true!

@OP:

The question of how much money depends mostly on individual lifestyle and preferences.

I also think people who are in the UK should learn to take advantage of Investment opportunities in the western financial markets. Keeping all your money in a savings account in the hopes of coming to settle down in Nigeria someday is a very foolish idea.

Bro,
We still pay for diesel here (amongst other things) wink
Re: How Much Money Must You Make Before Returning To Nigeria? by tpiah99: 5:13am On Jan 30, 2015
larger20:
I dont care how much i make becasue money is just a liquidty value.

You are right.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Mini Importation Business Training (whatsapp Group) / Architecture Vs Chemical Engineering / Acatech 2014 Batch B Certificate Scholarship Programme In Portharcourt(engineers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.