Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,279 members, 7,822,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? (1894 Views)

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 / GODWIN; Gospel Or Secular??? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by emmyitodo: 12:22pm On May 19, 2012
am still not in the know as to why the federal govt spends tax payers money( that includes hindus and pegans) to fund certain religious excercise that promotes only christainity and islam. these religious excercise or pilgrimage as it is called does little or no service but only increases our sense of clannishment, hate, fanatism, prejudice and other forms of negativism. pardon my sense of nationalism, is nigeria a secular or religious state? i appreciate ur contributions.
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by logicboy: 1:19pm On May 19, 2012
emmyitodo: am still not in the know as to why the federal govt spends tax payers money( that includes hindus and pegans) to fund certain religious excercise that promotes only christainity and islam. these religious excercise or pilgrimage as it is called does little or no service but only increases our sense of clannishment, hate, fanatism, prejudice and other forms of negativism. pardon my sense of nationalism, is nigeria a secular or religious state? i appreciate ur contributions.

Nigeria is a religious state.

-Sharia law is theocracy. Sharia is in the North
-There exists no sepration of church and state as governors spend tax payers money on churches and many religious exercise.
-Christian camps allowed to block highway roads without lawsuits for negligence or any punishment
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:50pm On May 19, 2012
[size=64pt]NIGERIA WILL SOON BECOME A JUJU STATE![/size] cool
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:51pm On May 19, 2012
emmyitodo: am still not in the know as to why the federal govt spends tax payers money( that includes hindus and pegans) to fund certain religious excercise that promotes only christainity and islam.

these people are stealing from the true people of the land to fund foreign activities. curse them all. angry
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by Kay17: 2:56pm On May 19, 2012
Nigeria is a secular state. Sharia law ought to only be a personal law.
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by PastorAIO: 5:25pm On May 19, 2012
Nigeria is a moslem country. It joined the OIC a few years ago. Out of political sagacity they give christianity some respects but all other religions can go to hell as far as the government is concerned.
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:46pm On May 19, 2012
Pastor AIO: Nigeria is a moslem country. It joined the OIC a few years ago. Out of political sagacity they give christianity some respects but all other religions can go to hell as far as the government is concerned.
we even have a green flag. it just lacks the crescent moon. tongue
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by Kay17: 6:08pm On May 19, 2012
Pastor AIO: Nigeria is a moslem country. It joined the OIC a few years ago. Out of political sagacity they give christianity some respects but all other religions can go to hell as far as the government is concerned.

No, that doesn't determine the State's religion. The constitution does.
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by EvilBrain1(m): 7:18pm On May 19, 2012
I'm an atheist, but a few years ago I got this idea to establish a local Church of Satan here. That way, I could sue the government for religious discrimination and force them to pay for a plane ticket to Las Vegas plus money for gambling and fücking ashäwo in order to fulfill my religious obligation. They would either have to recognize all religions equally (including devil worship) or stop wasting our public money on this rëtarded pilgrimage cräp.

A lawyer friend of mine convinced me that it could never work because too many judges are religious bigots and wouldn't rule objectively, plus I would probably get assasinated by the fanatics before I got to the supreme court.
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by Kay17: 9:33pm On May 19, 2012
Not a bad idea though. But it would fail for executive discretion. But you can get it recognized.
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by gst101: 11:51am On May 20, 2012
@evil brain. That lawyer friend of yours told you the most complete truth that has ever been told in all of human existence. Be a wise man and adhere to it.

Nigeria has a secular constitution but nigeria is a religious state. Secularism and religionism are a mentality not an institution or a write up on some paper and nigerians are religious in the mind. No wonder we operate even our secular instituion with religious.
Re: Is Nigeria A Secular Or Religious State? by emmyitodo: 10:54pm On May 27, 2012
Being a person of faith myself, i still finds it disturbing that every national discuss takes a religious dimension as opposed to what we feign to practice as enshrined in the constitution. We no longer treat matters based on their merits and their values to further the course of these nation but on a fine line of faith that only brings disunity in a multi-religious society like ours. Its becoming glaring by the day that we are matching towards a bleak future with these religiously motivated agitation to champion political ambitions and incessant security concerns.

(1) (Reply)

Video: Female Pastor Who Preached The Gospel, Showing Off Her Boobs / President Buhari Daughter Goes To Deeper Life Church / For Those Who Thinks Islam Teaches TERRORISM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.