Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,084 members, 7,828,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Nairaland 1 Million Membership - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland 1 Million Membership (1175 Views)

Nairaland Hits 1.5 Million Membership Base / Thank You For Making Nairaland Forum Great (My Message To 1 Million Members) / Nairaland Hits 1 Million Members Hurray! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 9:39am On May 21, 2012
Is nairaland under managed by seun? Though he is the founder, but the forum is over five years old but yet to record up to 1M active members .... What do you think seun should do to improve on this?
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by LogicMind: 10:24am On May 21, 2012
icon2: Is nairaland under managed by seun? Though he is the founder, but the forum is over five years old but yet to record up to 1M active members .... What do you think seun should do to improve on this?

he is on the right track with his ghost membership program.
Ban people so they create new accounts.
I person, 15 accounts = 15 members!
Continue but there will only be one LOGIC MIND
The only and only great intelligent monkey on NL.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 10:48am On May 21, 2012
Logic Mind:

he is on the right track with his ghost membership program.
Ban people so they create new accounts.
I person, 15 accounts = 15 members!
Continue but there will only be one LOGIC MIND
The only and only great intelligent monkey on NL.

Nawa ohhh... Why are you calling yourself a monkey na..? Anyways I think Nairaland should have up to 5M members by now.
Considering our great poulation and increase in internet usage. Moreso nairaland seems like a voice to many people. Something should really be done by seun. Nairaland is of age.... He should even start considering going public is he does what should be done well.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Afam4eva(m): 11:10am On May 21, 2012
icon2:

Nawa ohhh... Why are you calling yourself a monkey na..? Anyways I think Nairaland should have up to 5M members by now.
Considering our great poulation and increase in internet usage. Moreso nairaland seems like a voice to many people. Something should really be done by seun. Nairaland is of age.... He should even start considering going public is he does what should be done well.
Not until Nairaland expands and starts offering more products. Not everyone is interesting in joining a forum but they may be interested in having a Nairaland Email, reading Nairaland News etc. I think Nairaland should venture into other endeavors in order to expand the member base of the site.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Bontee: 11:17am On May 21, 2012
Those numbers up there are not active members, check around the homepage or at the bottom then you will see the number of active members each day ( Both registered and guest ). One thing i have come to realize is that, nairaland got this huge membership on the
cheap and to imagine that facebook is on a race to one billion members.

Other forums would have been more innovative than nairaland if they could have such large number of members but nairaland is so lacking and just resting on advertising income. New innovation will make more money in the future than nairaland, check dealfish, iroko partners and so many more.

With all due respect nairaland is a sad reflection of nigeria, just big and depending on one source of income like nigeria. Google started with search but see where they are today, iroko partners and dealfish are moving with break taking space while nairalist is going down. Nairaland has the largest free collection of intellectuals of mostly nigerian origin but sadly they could not leverage upon that.

Trust me you really need to dig well and you will see the amount of talent and opportunities embedded here but when the management is solely Nigerian then just expect disappointing incompetence ( in most cases ). The companies that would take over nigerian internet space will be from abroad or will have support from abroad. Iroko partners is now trying to be a company while nairaland still wants to be a one man business and corner all the revenue. It won't last and facebook will not be what it is today if it was still run by mark alone.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 11:30am On May 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Not until Nairaland expands and starts offering more products. Not everyone is interesting in joining a forum but they may be interested in having a Nairaland Email, reading Nairaland News etc. I think Nairaland should venture into other endeavors in order to expand the member base of the site.

That is exactly what this thread wants to achieve. Lets open the eyes of seun to vast opportunities out there. He has started well but growth is slow.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 11:32am On May 21, 2012
Bontee: Those numbers up there are not active members, check around the homepage or at the bottom then you will see the number of active members each day ( Both registered and guest ). One thing i have come to realize is that, nairaland got this huge membership on the

Other forums would have been more innovative than nairaland if they could have such large number of members but nairaland is so lacking and just resting on advertising income. New innovation will make more money in the future than nairaland, check dealfish, iroko partners and so many more.

With all due respect nairaland is a sad reflection of nigeria, just big and depending on one source of income like nigeria. Google started with search but see where they are today, iroko partners and dealfish are moving with break taking space while nairalist is going down. Nairaland has the largest free collection of intellectuals of mostly nigerian origin but sadly they could not leverage upon that.

Trust me you really need to dig well and you will see the amount of talent and opportunities embedded here but when the management is solely Nigerian then just expect disappointing incompetence ( in most cases ). The companies that would take over nigerian internet space will be from abroad or will have support from abroad. Iroko partners is now trying to be a company while nairaland still wants to be a one man business and corner all the revenue. It won't last and facebook will not be what it is today if it was still run by mark alone.
Cool analysis... Seun I hope you are reading. This is free consultation for you.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Ibime(m): 11:36am On May 21, 2012
Bontee: Those numbers up there are not active members, check around the homepage or at the bottom then you will see the number of active members each day ( Both registered and guest ). One thing i have come to realize is that, nairaland got this huge membership on the

Actually Seun has done his best to make this place more interactive, despite you guys Occupy Nairaland protest.

Further integration with Facebook, twitter and such has helped Nairaland stay on top of the game and seasonal events like elections also drive followership to Nairaland from sites like Google, twitter and such.

Nairaland members are also dwarfed by unregistered guests who I believe also drive most of the advertising revenue, so I think NL is on the right track.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 11:54am On May 21, 2012
Ibime:

Actually Seun has done his best to make this place more interactive, despite you guys Occupy Nairaland protest.

Further integration with Facebook, twitter and such has helped Nairaland stay on top of the game and seasonal events like elections also drive followership to Nairaland from sites like Google, twitter and such.

Nairaland members are also dwarfed by unregistered guests who I believe also drive most of the advertising revenue, so I think NL is on the right track.

Sorry but I don't totally agree with you. Though you pointed out some recent achievements but that does not withhold the fact that growth rate is poor. Something should be done to get those ghost members as registered members. Just as someone rightly pointed out, integrating mail option isn't a bad idea. Nairaland can actually be pride of Nigeria.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by achi4u(m): 12:28pm On May 21, 2012
seun should place an advert so that many ppl can join the site.

i only stumbled on nairaland b4 i got registered.

i've been recommending this site to my friends.

am doing my part...SEUN

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:16pm On May 21, 2012
many Nigerian dont even know what is Nairaland. i am talking about internet users. (personal experience tongue)
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by DisGuy: 1:24pm On May 21, 2012
he is trying considering its 'one man business' the others you compoare him with have partners
or backers hence the pressure to grow and make a return
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 1:31pm On May 21, 2012
achi4u: seun should place an advert so that many ppl can join the site.

am doing my part...SEUN

exactly my point.... I have been doing so too.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 1:32pm On May 21, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
many Nigerian dont even know what is Nairaland. i am talking about internet users. (personal experience tongue)
Gbam !
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 1:33pm On May 21, 2012
Dis Guy: he is trying considering its 'one man business' the others you compoare him with have partners

Maybe he will grow to the point of employing more Nigerians
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by PaulJohn1: 1:35pm On May 21, 2012

I'm very in support of you on this. Seun believes since there's money to feed himself, his family and the moderators, all is well. No need for expansion.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by PaulJohn1: 1:38pm On May 21, 2012
achi4u: seun should place an advert so that many ppl can join the site.

am doing my part...SEUN

Seun is too stingy to do that. i jammed Nairaland accidentally.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 1:48pm On May 21, 2012
Paul John:

Seun is too stingy to do that. i jammed Nairaland accidentally.

This is a wake-up call for seun.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Bontee: 2:06pm On May 21, 2012
^^^

This is not the first time that the issue has been raised and as people said, he is just stingy or doesn't know how to go about it. This was someone i had to rebuke for promoting google question and answers here on nairaland, i think he was the one that even created the thread. Even if he did not i think he should have closed that and his excuse was that he doesn't have the resources to compete with google and both sites were moving in different direction which is not entirely true to me.

I believe most people criticizing him are not after the revenue but genuinely wants to see a nigerian site corner the Nigerian internet market. Even facebook is not the dominant social sites in many countries in asia and europe so there is no way that facebook should serve nigerian better than nairaland.

afam4eva:

Thank you my brother, the first difficult task is to get the membership or followership and after that, you think about diversifying and stabilizing the revenue.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 2:13pm On May 21, 2012
Bontee: ^^^

This is not the first time that the issue has been raised and as people said, he is just stingy or doesn't know how to go about it. This was someone i had to rebuke for promoting google question and answers here on nairaland, i think he was the one that even created the thread. Even if he did not i think he should have closed that and his excuse was that he doesn't have the resources to compete with google and both sites were moving in different direction which is not entirely true to me.

I believe most people criticizing him are not after the revenue but genuinely wants to see a nigerian site corner the Nigerian internet market. Even facebook is not the dominant social sites in many countries in asia and europe so there is no way that facebook should serve nigerian better than nairaland.

Thank you my brother, the first difficult task is to get the membership or followership and after that, you think about diversifying and stabilizing the revenue.

Well said.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Bontee: 2:25pm On May 21, 2012
Dis Guy: he is trying considering its 'one man business' the others you compoare him with have partners

I believe he started before them and nothing stops him from doing the right thing because these people just only need to encroach into this social sector and nairaland will be relegated. Facebook overtook myspace when they thought they were the shit, Apple came to change the rules of the game in mobiles, and google came to wipe msn and yahoo from the search business. Other Nigerian newspapers have to open up their sites to comments when they saw the followership of saharareporters, 234next and vanguard newspapers.

Ibime:

I don't get what you mean by the statement in bold but just want to say, it is a discussion and i don't go that path.

It is by default in every forum that the number of guest is usually more than the registered members and especially for nairaland without forced registration. No one is saying that he has not tried enough, two heads are better than one but if he still wants to go it alone then fine with him. Traffic or membership is not the only issue here, if he wants more traffic the best way to do it is to give incentives to existing users or viewers. I know the impact of linking it with facebook, twitter and google or google+ but some of us are more particular about the diversification and not only traffic.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by DisGuy: 7:46pm On May 21, 2012
well we know what happens to one man business in the face of competition, when you have just one person tweaking the codes and running the business aspect at the same time waving off suggestions for improvements

these guys are not smiling, only 'yesterday' i was among those watching iroko on youtube, dis year they got $8m backing = exposure is a good thing sha

But then again i guess he can stick his tongue out and say wetin u don do sef

Bontee:

I believe he started before them and nothing stops him from doing the right thing because these people just only need to encroach into this social sector and nairaland will be relegated. Facebook overtook myspace when they thought they were the shit, Apple came to change the rules of the game in mobiles, and google came to wipe msn and yahoo from the search business. Other Nigerian newspapers have to open up their sites to comments when they saw the followership of saharareporters, 234next and vanguard newspapers.

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Bontee: 8:03pm On May 21, 2012
Dis Guy: well we know what happens to one man business in the face of competition, when you have just one person tweaking the codes and running the business aspect at the same time waving off suggestions for improvements

these guys are not smiling, only 'yesterday' i was among those watching iroko on youtube, dis year they got $8m backing = exposure is a good thing sha

But then again i guess he can stick his tongue out and say wetin u don do sef

Lol we are coming to do our own thing too . . . just watch out and i must say that it is not easy and we are only trying to encourage him to do more and take the opportunity before him. The worst thing he would want is for people to see something more intersting than nairaland and they spend more time there. Sometimes if you lost it . . . you can never get it back just like myspace.

Thank God you can see the support these guys are getting, they are not google but if you open yourself to growth then you will surely attract investments. There are so many capital venture companies around the world looking for any slight opportunity in African and gbam they will provide the needed capital funding. The main individual investor in irokotv is from india i think and they got some funds from a venture company in sweden.

I mean if you dig well around nairaland, people told seun to move into nollywood, music and improve the market place section. People told him to spin off from a forum to a website, employ people and get proper management. I don't know why he is ignoring all these calls and people will ask for simple things like child boards for auto section, science section and many more but he will ignore them. He has the human resources to diversify nairaland at his fingertips and he is doing nothing with it.

Well i will let it be and allow things to play out but some years into the future . . .we will all look back and remember this day. Whatever it is worth i am appreciative of this site and what it has given me and will always wish them well.
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by tpia5: 12:37am On May 22, 2012
my friend requests seem to have reduced by one. . . . . .

i thought i saw 7 requests yesterday but now its down to 6.

is all this because yamakuza is the only person in my profile and blah blah blah.

ok, we're engaged and had twins last week.

happy now?

see wetin this d.aft blazay caused undecided

this is why i dont spend too much time on facebook!!
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Seun(m): 7:51am On May 22, 2012
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for expressing your support and sharing ideas about how to make things better. I understand your frustration with Nairaland's measured pace of evolution and the pragmatic but unconventional direction we've often chosen to take on certain issues. I'm working hard to overcome extreme limitations, but I'm also learning as much as I can so we can make a lot of progress once those limitations are lifted. thanks so much for caring.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by icon2: 9:39am On May 22, 2012
Seun: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for expressing your support and sharing ideas about how to make things better. I understand your frustration with Nairaland's measured pace of evolution and the pragmatic but unconventional direction we've often chosen to take on certain issues. I'm working hard to overcome extreme limitations, but I'm also learning as much as I can so we can make a lot of progress once those limitations are lifted. thanks so much for caring.

We got your back boss! LongLive NL!
Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by Peterson1993(m): 11:33pm On May 22, 2012
I get irritated when i see a group of criticism on nairaland as if nairaland is worse. For God sake nairaland is one of the best in Africa(a national pride) weda ten years or 50. There are some website 5 years older than nairaland and no where to be found. No doubt, nairaland could have been much more better. I personally is getting bored and almost quiting because most of the threads i see, are already read thread. And am not alwayz interested with the politics and TB joshua issue always on the front page. But daz does'nt mean nairaland is bad at all.. All nairalad should do is try widen choices for members to pick from. Rather than just come here, read 7 years old articles and go away *bored* am still even searching for common pm feature on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 1 Million Membership by rccy: 3:00pm On May 24, 2012
you got it right...

(1) (Reply)

World Without Women (part 1) / LATEST Cheat-subscribe BIS Packages Without Paying A Dime For A Year! / How Many Of Us Can Still Remember These Couples?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.