Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,911 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Preparing for GRE - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96941 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 5:58pm On Dec 14, 2009
Superbrain:

Your scores are very good. You even had your first degree in the UK. Did you do any research work while an undergrad? I think you should tidy up all other aspects of your application: your statement of purpose, reco letters and resume, and give it a shot. You are very good to go.

Thanks bros. I did one year of research but it was more of a mechanical/materials engineering related topic which I scored 69% (one point of a first class). I'll give it a shot. I think my recommendation letters should be good.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 6:08pm On Dec 14, 2009
Yeah. Get very good recommendation letters. I gave one of my former lecturers about five reference forms some weeks back to fill and guess what? He filled all the forms and even attached letterheaded recommendations that gave more details of my abilities. This he did at no fee. I felt so touched when i picked them up today. They were very good recommendations. So that is also another aspect you should focus on.

About the research, just emphasize on it. Also include other project works you carried out as an undergrad in your resume. Remember that every little thing counts.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 6:39pm On Dec 14, 2009
Thanks. That's very helpful. I can think of at least six to seven projects I did as an undergrad and one I did with my employer during my one year industrial placement. The thing is that there are opportunities to work on numerous research projects (which get published in journals) in the U.S.A at the undergraduate level that don't exist in England or Nigeria which I think puts internationals at a slight disadvantage. That said I think some of the results from my research are being published in the International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives but I don't think I'm getting any credit there.
I take it you didn't waive the rights to see your letters of recommendation. Doesn't that have a negative effect on the admissions committee?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 7:20pm On Dec 14, 2009
I don't think so. Waiving rights to me has two different implications: either self-confidence in your abilities or carelessness (in terms of risk-taking). If you waive your rights to see a reference letter and it turns out bad, you're hooked. One of my referees refused to show me the reference form he filled (because i waived my rights) but after much persuasion, he agreed and it turned out the recommendation was not so good. It was just alright but didn't highlight so many things about my suitability for graduate studies. I got it changed in the end. About publications, i don't see how much they count. Include ALL projects and presentations in your academic CV/resume.

Still on the publications thing, i think you should focus more on your internship experience and project works. What's your email address so i can send you a copy of a good resume?
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 1:25am On Dec 15, 2009
Email is bebure@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks. I see your point regarding waiving my rights. Considering applications cost between $25 to $100 a pop it makes sense to control as much of my application package as I can. Are you also going for petroleum engineering?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:02am On Dec 15, 2009
I don't think so. Waiving rights to me has two different implications: either self-confidence in your abilities or carelessness (in terms of risk-taking). If you waive your rights to see a reference letter and it turns out bad, you're hooked. One of my referees refused to show me the reference form he filled (because i waived my rights) but after much persuasion, he agreed and it turned out the recommendation was not so good. It was just alright but didn't highlight so many things about my suitability for graduate studies. I got it changed in the end. About publications, i don't see how much they count. Include ALL projects and presentations in your academic CV/resume.

Still on the publications thing, i think you should focus more on your internship experience and project works. What's your email address so i can send you a copy of a good resume?

usually you are expected to waive your right to see the recommendation, but doing so isn't rily detrimental to ur application. But your statement raised a bit of a red flag- this is red flag not usually a problem for people who go to schools in nigeria, but for bebure who goes to school in the UK, I think it might be an issue.

You are not supposed to mail, touch or see your recommendations, usually. If you go to school in the UK where the professors have experience writing recommendations for students going to graduate school, then you should be confident that they would only agree to write you a letter if they can write a strong one. I have talked to professors, and asked them for recommendations here, in the US, and they would not write for me if they didn't know me well enough to write a strong one. Also waiving your right means you wouldn't be able to see it when you enrol in the university, no graduate school expects you to see ur recommendations b4 hand. However, I have heard of cases, where people have been personally asked to write their own recommendation letters so people do see their recommendation letters, usually to make sure it is quality.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 12:53pm On Dec 15, 2009
in naija if you want u can write the thing yourself and just give the lecturer to sign jo. . .lol
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 6:03pm On Dec 15, 2009
bebure:

Email is bebure@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks. I see your point regarding waiving my rights. Considering applications cost between $25 to $100 a pop it makes sense to control as much of my application package as I can. Are you also going for petroleum engineering?

That's fine. I'll send a copy of the CV. I'm going for Chemical Engineering.

SEFAGO:

usually you are expected to waive your right to see the recommendation, but doing so isn't rily detrimental to your application. But your statement raised a bit of a red flag- this is red flag not usually a problem for people who go to schools in nigeria, but for bebure who goes to school in the UK, I think it might be an issue.

You are not supposed to mail, touch or see your recommendations, usually. If you go to school in the UK where the professors have experience writing recommendations for students going to graduate school, then you should be confident that they would only agree to write you a letter if they can write a strong one. I have talked to professors, and asked them for recommendations here, in the US, and they would not write for me if they didn't know me well enough to write a strong one. Also waiving your right means you wouldn't be able to see it when you enrol in the university, no graduate school expects you to see your recommendations b4 hand. However, I have heard of cases, where people have been personally asked to write their own recommendation letters so people do see their recommendation letters, usually to make sure it is quality.

You're right. I had the chance to write a draft for one of my Professors and he edited it before sending it to the departmental sec for typing. It's common here in Nigeria but i guess it's not so in the UK. I'm still glad i had the chance to see all my references.
Re: Preparing for GRE by agabaI23(m): 7:52pm On Dec 15, 2009
In the UK if you are in good terms with the prof, he will show you.

I do see ALL the references written for me here before I use it for whatever purposes. Even when you demand, they will show you.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 8:52pm On Dec 15, 2009
agabaI23:

In the UK if you are in good terms with the prof, he will show you.

I do see ALL the references written for me here before I use it for whatever purposes. Even when you demand, they will show you.

It's been long since i saw your post. How far have you gone with your applications? Intimate us,
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 1:20pm On Dec 16, 2009
British Petroleum offer a 2 year full scholarship for Msc petroleum engineering and geosciences students from NON E.U countries at Tu Delft. The only eligibility criteria for consideration is admission to the course.

There is also full scholarship for Msc students from Non E.U countries sponsored by STATOIL and SHELL to study APPLIED GEOPHYSICS at TU Delft. Eligibility criteria is admission to the course at Tu delft.

The only requirement is for the student to apply for admission into the course of study at Tu Delft using Tu Delft website.
Please spread it fast to other nigerian students and africans.

http://www.citg.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=6b0e88b0-5fda-4fb1-a849-f0ec9421b267&lang=en

I cannot find anywhere there is an application fee- y'all know america is not the end of it all

"Times Higher Education ranking (second best university of technology in continental Europe, after ETH Zurich, Switzerland"
Re: Preparing for GRE by agabaI23(m): 2:50pm On Dec 16, 2009
Superbrain:

It's been long since i saw your post. How far have you gone with your applications? Intimate us,
Ok bros,

I passed that level 4 years ago. Not in for admission application anymore.

I am impressed with your organisation. I am expecting you to announce your admission here when the time comes.
Good scores and stuff. Good luck.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 8:23pm On Dec 16, 2009
agabaI23:

Ok bros,

I passed that level 4 years ago. Not in for admission application anymore.

I am impressed with your organisation. I am expecting you to announce your admission here when the time comes.
Good scores and stuff. Good luck.

Thanks a lot. This thread has been an invaluable resource for me. I'll definitely announce my admission when it comes because i'm sure it will.

@ Sefago,

I hail. Thanks for the review. Your effort is very much appreciated.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 7:14pm On Dec 20, 2009
Hello guys. This thread has not had some activity for a couple of days now. What's going on? Please update. I've been preparing the components of my application pack. I'm almost done with all my online applications and my recommendation letters and resume are ready. The only thing holding me back is my transcript but I believe I'll get that this week. I'm trusting God for speed.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas in advance and a prosperous 2010.
Re: Preparing for GRE by BTABO: 8:20pm On Dec 20, 2009
can someone pls advice me! am gonna graduate 2010 and planing of doing GRE that same year. is it adviceable to do the exam. if yes, for how long is the result valid and which other exams do i need to take to do my masters in either US or UK.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 9:54pm On Dec 20, 2009
BTABO:

can someone pls advice me! am gonna graduate 2010 and planing of doing GRE that same year. is it advisable to do the exam. if yes, for how long is the result valid and which other exams do i need to take to do my masters in either US or UK.

Hey. It really depends on how good you are at math and your reading and vocabulary. I spent three weeks in total (6 - 10 hours a day) preparing for the GRE. Some people spend two months but to each his own. Here is my advise:

Quantitative
I routinely got 800 on the GRE Powerprep (which you can download for free from the ETS website) for quantitative after my revision but on the exam itself I got a lousy 760 in quantitative due to nerves. My point is that apart from studying you need to focus on being calm during the exam and making sure you can finish all questions on time (take all breaks given- it helps). I hear you loose more marks for unattempted questions so try to do all questions. Also if its the computer test you are doing you should try and make sure you get the first few questions right as they weigh more heavily. All in all I think this section is very easy (certainly easier than a standard thermodynamics or internal combustion engines exam).

Verbal
I spent a considerable amount of my verbal preparation on the reading comprehensions using Barron's, Powerprep etc to help me. The comprehension usually accounts for over a third of the total verbal marks so if you can clear that section you are on your way. I spent just 5 days of my time on learning new words (I suggest you spend more). Use the Barron's word list. That's very useful. I routinely got 600 on Powerprep but on the day of the exam itself a combination of nerves and poor time management led me to get 550 in this section. As with the quantitative try to answer all questions.

AWA
I really didn't spend more than a day preparing for this. I just read the rules and a sample essay from Barron's and that was it. I got a 5.0 out of 6.0, which is very okay for engineering. If you are majoring in English or something liberal artsy (or if you can't present a set of arguments logically) then by all means spend more time (like a week) and you may get a 6.0. But in engineering 3.0 to 4.5 (depending on the school) is all they require.

Sample Section
On the computer-based test there is also a sample section, I hear they don't always tell you which one it is but in my case I was told. Nonetheless treat every section with respect and do your best and you'll be fine.

GRE Results
If you are doing the computer-based test then once you've finished all sections the computer asks you if you want to cancel you score (it asks you twice I believe). If you say no, then your quantitative and verbal scores appear on the scree instantly and are sent to the schools of your choice in due time. If you say yes then well you've wasted $180 and your scores will be invalid (you'll see them but ETS wont send them to any schools). It takes about two weeks from the day of the computer test for the schools you are applying to to receive the scores at which point you'll also get a score report showing your percentile. You'll also see your AWA score at this point.
If you do the paper based test on the other hand then getting your score takes months. I advise you to do the computer-based test if you can.

Validity of GRE
The exam is valid for 5 years so yes take it as soon as you are ready

UK/US
UK programs don't need GRE, just TOEFL which I find offensive cos we do speak English in Nigeria after all. I mean if they waive TOEFL for Americans and Australians then why the hell not for we African speaking countries. Anyway, as someone who studied in the UK for six years, I advise you to do your masters in the US. You get more out of it and there are more opportunities when you are done (particularly in engineering). That's why I've left the UK and am applying to US schools. For a bachelor's however I think both systems are about the same (perhaps the US leads a bit cause you are given a more rounded education and don't just focus on your major).

Best of luck and seasons best. If you have any more questions holla at me.
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 5:11am On Dec 21, 2009
Hey guys I just finished my online application for the schools. These are my four choices according to preference.
1. University of Loiusiana, Lafeyyete.
2. University of Texas, Arlington.
3. University of Houston, Texas.
4. Ohio State University.( deadline feb1) I have not apply for this, base on the fact that I may not meet the deadline.

My GRE will be on JAN 12 and TOEFL will be FEB 13, so I think I can meet the deadlines of other schools expect the Ohio state. What do you think guys? should I risk it and apply?

Well still on the Job, reading to ace the GRE. I see GRE not as exam but a war facing us all, and I know we shall all win this war! GRE is difficult oooo!

Wishing everybody a wonderful season!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 7:05pm On Dec 23, 2009
Hey guys. Got my analytical scores today (4.0).
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2009
congrats- I am just rounding up my applications myself- I started them recently, like a week ago grin cool, slow and steady wins the race-and I have deadlines of january 1st so u guys can guess how my Christmas is going to be spent.
Re: Preparing for GRE by agabaI23(m): 2:36am On Dec 24, 2009
Superbrain:

Hey guys. Got my analytical scores today (4.0).
Good one
SEFAGO:

congrats- I am just rounding up my applications myself- I started them recently, like a week ago grin cool, slow and steady wins the race-and I have deadlines of january 1st so u guys can guess how my Christmas is going to be spent.
Too many Christmas holidays ahead that will be better spent if you sacrifice this one undecided
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 2:59am On Dec 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

Try to turn in your apps a few weeks before the deadline, as it improves your chances, particularly with top schools.

BTW How to Write a Winning Personal Statement for Graduate and Professional School (3rd ed.) by Richard Stelzer is a nice resource for writing admission essays
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:45am On Dec 24, 2009
Try to turn in your apps a few weeks before the deadline, as it improves your chances, particularly with top schools.

Not really true though I agree it makes your file complete quickly, which makes u get reviewed quickly which like cause and effect seems to improve your chances. I would say it depends even for top schools. I have called a lot of schools and they told me they wont be reviewing any applications until the beginning of January.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 9:31am On Dec 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

Not really true though I agree it makes your file complete quickly, which makes u get reviewed quickly which like cause and effect seems to improve your chances. I would say it depends even for top schools. I have called a lot of schools and they told me they wont be reviewing any applications until the beginning of January.
That is the company line, but feel free to submit whenever you feel is appropriate. Best of luck with your application.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:16am On Dec 24, 2009
That is the company line, but feel free to submit whenever you feel is appropriate. Best of luck with your application.

Not rily true again- most faculty who read applications convene in january, key point is turning it before december, the graduate school assistants who compile your file, start their break around December 23rd (standard in America) and then comeback around January 4th, then start  compiling applications up until Jannuary 15th. Usually the graduate school assistants have a review sheet where they include key aspects such as your GPA, and GRE score so that it gives admission people an idea of your strengths and weaknesses- most admission officers spend like 10 minutes maximum on an application so u must have something that catches their eyes. So it does take time for the graduate school to process ones admission file- like around 2 weeks from when you turn it in- but in the spirit of fairness most graduate schools dont do first come, first served .

Source: Worked one summer in a graduate school admissions office.

But thnxs for the wishes, I feel I would need considering the fact I have bigger deficiencies to worry about.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 11:03am On Dec 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

Not rily true again- most faculty who read applications convene in january, key point is turning it before december, the graduate school assistants who compile your file, start their break around December 23rd (standard in America) and then comeback around January 4th, then start  compiling applications up until Jannuary 15th. Usually the graduate school assistants have a review sheet where they include key aspects such as your GPA, and GRE score so that it gives admission people an idea of your strengths and weaknesses- most admission officers spend like 10 minutes maximum on an application so u must have something that catches their eyes. So it does take time for the graduate school to process ones admission file- like around 2 weeks from when you turn it in- but in the spirit of fairness most graduate schools dont do first come, first served .

Source: Worked one summer in a graduate school admissions office.

But thnxs for the wishes, I feel I would need considering the fact I have bigger deficiencies to worry about.
Which school and department did you work in?
My experience and info differs. The mechanics of admission (like the characteristics of the school itself) will likely change as you go down the ladder
Departments in top research schools that have to process large volumes of applications don't wait till the deadline before they begin the screening process (as the criterion is set a priori, batching is detrimental),  after which the files are handed to a faculty member responsible for the area of research the student might have indicated. The files are often sorted into 2-3 tiers with the first tier supposedly being the exceptional ones. Statistics imply that students who were reviewed earlier were treated more favorably than the latter ones.

which school/course are you applying to?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:27am On Dec 24, 2009
Its a top 20 engineering school- No names because I signed an agreement saying I would not say anything i saw since it was confidential info-

which school/course are you applying to?

An engineering program- a couple of top schools and also a bit of average ones- not MIT/Caltech/Stanford though (they have deadlines around december 1st and I would definitely have turned my apps earlier if i applied to those schools) and such.

One of my classmates last year who goes to Northwestern engineering, turned his applications at the last minute, but he still got in despite not doing his undergrad in an engineering.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 11:47am On Dec 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

Its a top 20 engineering school- No names because I signed an agreement saying I would not say anything i saw since it was confidential info-
Fair enough.

An engineering program- a couple of top schools and also a bit of average ones- not MIT/Caltech/Stanford though (they have deadlines around december 1st and I would definitely have turned my apps earlier if i applied to those schools)  and such.
why didnt you apply to those three? Its less difficult to get in when you are a minority applicant, and funding is also easier.

One of my classmates last year who goes to Northwestern engineering, turned his applications at the last minute, but he still got in despite not doing his undergrad in an engineering.
There is a program dependence. I doubt the engineering program at Northwestern is that competitive, and competitive must be defined with the applicants profile in mind. A student who couldn't get into MIT could possibly get in with a late application to somewhere like Ohio State.

A hidden problem though is the racial undercurrent evident in graduate engineering admissions in the top schools. We need more faculty presence to ease admission into these programs, unfortunately most people want to go to the industry to make money.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 12:30pm On Dec 24, 2009
why didnt you apply to those three? Its less difficult to get in when you are a minority applicant, and funding is also easier.

yeah, I guess- but I didn't do college in nigeria, so I have this gut feeling that graduate school might expect a bit more from me. I do have high test scores, an Ok GPA, and some research experience- but it isn't rily the big three quality. If I went to university in Nigeria, I might have tried them, since then I would have excuses for my mediocrity compared to other MIT/Stanford applicants. I have seen the application profile for most Nigerians who make it to top PhD programs in the US, and being sincere they wouldn't make first pass if they were being judged just on merit. But makes sense though we should be given a bit of leeway.

There is a program dependence. I doubt the engineering program at Northwestern is that competitive, and competitive must be defined with the applicants profile in mind. A student who couldn't get into MIT could possibly get in with a late application to somewhere like Ohio State.

Well Northwestern engineering is ok, agreed not MIT quality, but some of their departments are considered the best of the best.

A hidden problem though is the racial undercurrent evident in graduate engineering admissions in the top schools. We need more faculty presence to ease admission into these programs, unfortunately most people want to go to the industry to make money.

hmmm, i dont exactly get this.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 5:56pm On Dec 24, 2009
SEFAGO:

yeah, I guess- but I didn't do college in nigeria, so I have this gut feeling that graduate school might expect a bit more from me. I do have high test scores, an Ok GPA, and some research experience- but it isn't rily the big three quality. If I went to university in Nigeria, I might have tried them, since then I would have excuses for my mediocrity compared to other MIT/Stanford applicants. I have seen the application profile for most Nigerians who make it to top PhD programs in the US, and being sincere they wouldn't make first pass if they were being judged just on merit. But makes sense though we should be given a bit of leeway.
I am not so sure I agree with the bar being lower for people that schooled in naija as opposed to in the US, because most from naija often end up above average in the program, while the performances of those black students who schooled in the US are more evenly distributed (if not biased towards to lower end). A suspected cause is that top minority students who schooled in the US are less likely to apply to the top schools like Stanford/MIT, stating (like you) that they wouldn't make it in, so why bother (and instead most apply to #10-20 schools) . One exception though might be the oil & gas related fields.
If you are interested in getting a PhD, you should at least talk to the diversity office and minority staff at those schools and see what your chances are.

Well Northwestern engineering is ok, agreed not MIT quality, but some of their departments are considered the best of the best.
I heard they are investing heavily in their engineering programs, particularly along the bio, mems etc lines.

hmmm, i dont exactly get this.
ignore it. grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 10:34am On Dec 27, 2009
Hey guys. Got my TOEFL scores today. God has been faithful.

Reading 28   Listening 25   Speaking 24  Writing 27   Total 104

I put in only two weeks of preparation for the exam. In all, I thank God for everything. I'll be mailing my applications this week.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 1:33am On Dec 28, 2009
Dont want to make it political- but heads up, student visas are going to be hard from now on, so gear up

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.