Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96968 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by Drn: 5:22pm On Sep 13, 2006
Panache,
how will I get it if you do find it?, the wordlist?
Re: Preparing for GRE by b2dl(f): 2:47am On Sep 14, 2006
@ davidylan. do u kno any university right there in d US where offering oil and gas in masters? pls lemme kno if u av any useful info.
thx.
Re: Preparing for GRE by mathways(m): 3:01pm On Sep 20, 2006
@Drn,
The Barron's wordlist is a really comprehensive one.I'll be writing the GRE soon and guys who wrote it said the Barron's material is really good.Go to www.esnips.com and type in GRE in the search engine there.You'll get links to various sources from where you can download different wordlists to use.And as a hint,get used to reading with ease on the computer.You can also go to this site: www.testmagic.com You'll get useful links from there too.Wish you the best and if you have more questions,you can ask I'll be glad to answer if I can.
Re: Preparing for GRE by mathways(m): 3:09pm On Sep 20, 2006
@b2dl,
The best US universities in the Oil and Gas industry are in Texas.The three top universities in Petroleum Enginnering in the states are:
University of Texas at Austin
University of Texas
University of Texas(widely know as TAMU).
Stanford University ranks third with TAMU and is a very great university.
Texas would be better because it's very rich in oil.You can also try Alberta University,one of the best in Oil and Gas Engineering in Canada.
Imperial College,London tops in the UK followed by Robert Gorgon,Aberdeen angus in scotland.
With all these I think you should have a clue now.Visit the site of these universities to learn more.Let me know as things go.I'll be pleased to tell you what I know.Wishing you the best.
Re: Preparing for GRE by robbie(f): 10:58pm On Sep 21, 2006
I recently graduated and plan to take the gre test by september next year, i kinda had the idea that it wasnt a big deal but now i am scared to pieces, any study tips? Plus i am still having difficulty picking schools to apply to, i studied economics as my first degree and i want to do a masters in an economics related course, wouldnt mind some suggestions to. Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by mathways(m): 12:50pm On Sep 23, 2006
Implying you are a fall '08 applicant.Well you need to prepare for the GRE very well especially the quantitative section.Aim for the best possible score you can so as to boost your chances for admission and fellowship considerations.Most scores don't care much about the verbal section in asmuch as your score is not considerably low-but the higher the better.As an econ graduate,i think you'll ace the quantitative section with ease.Aim for an 800;you think it's impossible?Nahhh!!!You'll ace it.Just a matter of working through as many practice questions as possible.
And in the verbal,just do your best.Try to write it now that you just graduated as your student skills will still be sharp-the GRE is valid for a period of 5yrs.
Start preparing for your GRE verbal on a gradual basis.You can start now if you can.You'll need to really increase you vocabulary as a larger part of the verbal deals with vocabs.Work with your Computer if it's readily available so you get used to it as the Exam's a computer exam.Learn how to sit on your computer up to 4 hrs at a stretch doing practice exercises.As for the quant. section,I think it would depend on your mathematical knowledge.GRE quant's more like elementary math though a lil bit tricky.All the same,with practice you'll ace the test.Just do as much practice questions as you can.In a nut-shell,GRE shouldn't nerve-wrack you.It's an exam people have scored very high in,I mean people like you.
The schools to apply to should depend on your interests.Post your profile up here so I can give my opinions.Are you into macro,micro,game theory,etc?Schools have strengths in different areas.As a hint,these are top(or say a lil above average) econ schools in the states:
Boston College
Georgetown
Rutgers
UNC Chapel Hill
George Washington
Pittsburg
The strength of your profile should determine where you should apply to.And appplying to a Ph.D will increase your chances of getting financial aid.But if you aint concerned about finaid,then an M.Sc would do.All the same,it all depends on your interests and what you want from a graduate program.
Wish you the best.Feel free to ask if anything's not clear.We r all here to unravel ambiguities.
Re: Preparing for GRE by robbie(f): 7:59pm On Sep 30, 2006
hmmm thanks a bunch for the advice, 800 in quantitative!(can see why your log name is math way) well thats high but not impossible, but i guess you're right the earlier i start preparing the better, i'll let you know if i meet anymore stumbling blocks, though im very interested in financial aid. i think my CGPA in school is good enough, i didnt come out with a first or anything just narrowly missed it by some points soooo do you think i stand a chance?
Re: Preparing for GRE by mathways(m): 11:10pm On Sep 30, 2006
The higher your CGPA and standardized test scores,the higher you stand a chance to get finaid.Since you narrowly missed a 1st,I think it's ok.That'll take you places but your transcripts matters a lot as they'll be more concerned about your grades in your undergraduate major and math(since u majored in econs).The GRE'll do you lots of good if you are opting for finaid.Apply to the Ph.d programs.You stand a better chance to grasp the numerous graduate fellowships offered by some of these universities.
As an econs major,ur GRE score in the quant'll matter a lot.Do ur best in the verbal too-the verbal I guess wouldn't pose a problem.If you need study materials,I can forward them to you if need be.I have scanned copies of the practice test in "GRE BIGBOOK".Shall scan others when I've gat the time.I really derive joy in seeing people cracking standardized test esp we Africans.
Post your questions,we'll be glad to send in our opinions.When do you intend to commence your program?Fall '07 or 08?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Osaren: 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2008
HEY, I TOOK THE GRE THE FIRST TIME AND EVEN THO I HAVE GOOD CREDENTIALS THAT PROFESSORS LIKE, MY SCORE WAS ABYSMAL, I MEAN JESUS CHRIST, 1110! OK

NO I WANT TO GET AT LEAST 700 ON MY QUANT, AND I NEED SPEED, I WAS ONLY ABLE TO FINISH 18 ON THE TEST ON TIME AND I GOT 560, PLS! I NEED HELP, I WANT TO GET INTO A PETROLEUM Engr. Program or a GEOLOGICAL ENGINEERING PROGRAM AT SAY UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA, YOU CAN MAIL me at emmanuel.amadasun@gmail.com, any thing will do thanks alot.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 03, 2008
@osaren
thats so funny
just prepare steadily over the course of two- four months and i'm sure your scores would improve.
i really don't think the gre is an impossible exam, i'm also preparing for it and i know i will hit high scores
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 03, 2008
is anyone out there preparing for the GRE or planning to hit grad school this fall, let's bear out our plans here.
I'm aspiring to do pet engr by sept this year
My schools are Uhouston, texas a&m, texas tech for the US. Heriot-Watt for the Uk, and the University of Alberta for Canada
I'm really behind schedule and i hope to beat the application deadlines
What course do u intend to study? where ? why?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Mesef1: 8:30pm On Feb 06, 2008
Hi guys, nice topic u discussing here! I attempted the GRE sometime in January and committed a blunder in not following instructions through. That blunder ensured i quit the test prematurely and i got a ridiculous 200 in quantitative!!

Two quant sections appeared; one before and one after the verbal, and i was supposed to attempt the two as if i will be scored on both. But in actual fact i will be scored on one of them that i wont know. I quit the test based on my previous understanding that the second quant section was optional which was what it used to be. Alas!!! i got a correct verbal score of 580 and a quant of 200; the least you will score even if you fail all the questions.

Am sharing this so guys can watch out!

I will be writing another one in March but i want more test tips. Heard of one 'GREmathsbigbook'. Please can anyone help with this? I think Mathways should be able to help. You may attach it to your reply please!!!!!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Eyohimself(m): 5:35pm On Feb 12, 2008
@ Me Sef,

Sorry about what happened to you. It was really pathetic. I also wrote the GRE in November last year. My scores were not as I had expected them to be. I was demoralized when I got the second quantitative section. It was already 3rs into the exam and I was kind of exhausted. I still managed, nonetheless, to pull off not too bad a score as I am sure it was the second quant. section that was scored.

During preparation, I used mostly the GRE BigBook and Barrons and the Powerprep CD I was sent when I registered for the exams. The GRE math is one funny exam. To me, it is the easiest exams I have ever written and ironically, the one I have scored so low that I wonder if really that was my score.

I have some materials for anyone who wants. I couldn't attach it as the files are into the megabyte range while the maximum size allowed for attached files on nairaland is 200kb. If you need suggestions and materials, feel free to ask. I'll be glad to respond promptly at my convenience.

So when are you applying? Are you writing for fall 2008 admissions? I also applied to several schools for the upcoming september admissions and yet to hear from them. Impatiently waiting!!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Eyohimself(m): 5:40pm On Feb 12, 2008
@ C_Jay,

Come on, I am also applying for fall 2008 admissions to US universities. Though, I have already written the required exams like the GRE and TOEFL. So what are you up to with the applications? Where did you apply?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Mesef1: 6:51pm On Feb 12, 2008
@ Eyohimself, C_JAY

Thanks man, i'm writing again on March 4 and my chosen schools; UT at Austin, University of Houston, Iowa State University and Illinois Institute of Tech, have been notified and luckily have consented to have me send in my scores mid-March. I am applying to the Construction Management and Engineering programs. I already completed my applications for Fall 2008 in January.

I was on leave when i wrote that messy test in January but back at work now and have limited time to prepare. May God help me.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 12, 2008
Guys I envy una oh. I'm yet to even send my application materials. i just made the decision to hit grad school after wasting the past year doing jack.
@ mesef
i wish u can lay your hands on grebible, that software is great!! it's what many of these asian kids use in getting those top scores. i t's got a humongous test bank of questions that are harder than the real gre questions. Just try scouring the web to see if u can download it somewhere, it's large and i dont have the tech savvy to send it to you.
@eyo
i'm applying to texastech, u houston, and texas a&m for pet engr.
guy, i'm really lagging behind so i'll probably defer to spring if i miss the deadlines.
best wishes man
Re: Preparing for GRE by Dividends(m): 7:57am On Feb 13, 2008
I got a call yesterday from a Lander who needed information on how to register for the GRE. For any who is interested, just visit www.ets.org/gre, you'd find all the info U need there.
To be able to register on your own, U need to get a credit card. I got an Intercontinental Bank pre-paid Mastercard and I also know a friend who used a Zenith Bank Websurfer card. Commercial banks usually charge a fee of $20-25 the first time U get the card and @ least $5 each time U need to top up. For the Intercontinental Bank card, U can load a minimum of $100 and a maximum of $500 @ any one time.
If U think it does not make good business sense to pay $30 dollars service charge for an exam U're registering for with $170, then give me a call. We could use my card if we agree,
Re: Preparing for GRE by Dividends(m): 8:09am On Feb 13, 2008
I'm applying to 8 US schools cos I don't want to be here after Fall '08. Top amongst them is U-Texas @ Dallas, Howard and Michigan State University (MSU). I've spent quite a fortune on these applications and I hope it pays off in the end. My GRE score is not that fantastic probably cos of inadequate prep time (I even had to report to the office first before leaving for Oba Akran on test day). Maybe that is why I'm applying to so many schools - to broaden my chances.

I also plan to write the GRE again before the end of the year maybe while on leave (if none of my applications is successsful) or when in grad school already cos I'm ultimately headed for Stanford or MIT and only a great GRe score would gimme either of those.

Does anyone have info on how to transfer from a mid-rate school to a top school perhaps after getting an awesome score?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 13, 2008
@dividends
i'm not sure switching to an ivy league school from a midrate school during your masters is feasible considering most programs run for just 1-2 years. still investigate to be double sure. hmmn MIT and Stanford, guy you'll need a stellar package to be even considered at schools like that considering the deluge of applicants they get each year. But like they say, impossible is nothing
Re: Preparing for GRE by Mesef1: 7:58pm On Feb 13, 2008
@ Dividends

It's very possible but your application will be done alongside fresh grad applicants at the period(s) the program admits fresh graduates.

For example, if the program admits in Fall only, a successful fall 2008 grad student of a mid-rate school will only be able to apply in fall 2009! If the program admits in both fall and spring, a successful fall 2008 grad student of a mid-rate school can apply in spring 2009 and fall 2009. After one semester transfer is the most common and easiest. The other alternative (i.e after one year) is very difficult but possible especially for research MS programs that will run into PhD.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Eyohimself(m): 7:17am On Feb 14, 2008
I think it is possible to transfer from a lowly ranked graduate program to the top programs. I have heard of several of such transfers though I certainly don't know the procedures. I believe it will be easier if a PhD is your final degree objective.

Getting admissions into these top schools is more of a gamble. I personally know somebody with a terrific application package who got rejected by Stanford and MIT. At the same time, the friend of this guy who also applied to the same program in the same year but with an application of lesser strength got admitted. I wonder what the inner intricacies of the graduate admission committee is. Methinks, once you meet the minimum requirement and have some strong areas in your application, probably some extensive research experiences, then it wouldn't hurt giving it a shot at the top ten graduate programs in your field.

It is this idealogy of mine that gave me the impetus to apply to MIT, Stanford and Cornell and several others. Fingers are still crossed. I have done my best and waiting impatiently for the admission mortals to decide what to do with my application. I am very optimistic and at the same time fidgeting intensely about what the upshot would be.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Eyohimself(m): 7:30am On Feb 14, 2008
@ C_Jay

I seem to disagree with your advice with regards the GREBIBLE software. I have the software( which is readily available on the internet) and from personal experience during preparations for the GRE, I would say the software is not up to standard. It has got bugs in it that impedes its proper functioning. Besides, I easily scored an 800 in the verbal test of this software whereas in the real GRE official guide( refering to the GRE BigBook), my scores never went above a 700.

I would say the software can serve as a relaxing tool while trying to learn the vocabulary. Even then, one has to be very careful as there are inherent errors attributable to the bugs. The words are interplaced at times.

In my opinion, the best preparatory guide still remains the PowerPrep test. That is certainly the level of the real exams. Other guides are useful to hone your test taking skills but are either too easy or too difficult. The only guide that seemed closer to the kind of question one can find on the main test is the Kaplan tests on the CD; not the ones in the textbook(these are far below level).

All the same, you shouldn't forget the Barron's prep. guide. That name, Barron's, is akin to GRE. It has a universal reputation for bringing back to light some of your lost test taking skills. I see it as the best when it comes to the verbal. Of course, it still will not compare to the GRE BigBook verbal. The latter is certainly the bible if you are talking about GRE verbal. The math there is way too simple and not recommended.

Please, guys, post your views here so that those preparing for these exams would benefit as they slogg hard for their test.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Eyohimself(m): 7:38am On Feb 14, 2008
@M_Sef

Constant practice and the right mood is the key to acing the GRE. Keep doing as many practice test as possible. Get the GRE BigBook and see for yourself. That is a sure bet for the verbal. Let me have your email address, I will forward some of the BigBook practice tests to you in pdf format and the korean math practice test. I am pretty sure you will find them useful.

My best wishes as you prepare to face GRE the second time. Remember once beaten, twice shy. You gotta beat them this time around. And don't neglect the analytical writing section. That was what messed up my GRE. I never prepared for it at all and flopped on the test day. Don't let same happen to you.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Mesef1: 9:55am On Feb 14, 2008
@ Eyohimself

Thanks Eyo, really appreciate your advice. My mail add: bolaonmail@yahoo.com. Will be expecting those materials.

I hope i will be able to do lots of practice. i work a very busy schedule so i can only do few hours during the week though i sometimes have d weekends to crash it all.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 14, 2008
@Eyohimself
sure i know so many people have complained abouth the grebible software, but so far it's been working for me. I've only done one practice test on it and my verbal score was 550 unlike 590 on the power prep (and after guessing thru the RC section)so i don't think it's as easy as u suggest.
please can u send me the korean math pratice tests. I have all the other materials you've mentioned.
hmmn, it really seems u put some quality time into your prep which i intend to do. what were ur scores?? as for me, i'm shooting for perfect scores in all 3 sections but will settle for a 800Q 700V 5.5A
Re: Preparing for GRE by gabelogan(m): 10:12pm On Jun 04, 2008
@C_JAY

U NO TELL ME SEY U DEY GO GRAD SCHOOL, WELL GOODLUCK OH.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tboy81(m): 3:19pm On Jun 05, 2008
Well, i just made a decision to write GRE exam some weeks ago and i want to start preparing.

Any nice links for prep materials will be highly appreciated, am targeting Spring 09 (software engineering/computer science)
Re: Preparing for GRE by davidif: 9:11am On Jul 11, 2008
@mathways
University of Texas(widely know as TAMU).

TAMU is not the same thing as UT (university of texas), TAMU is Texas A&M University-College Station and it is the best university for petroleum engineering, even better than the great MIT or even Stanford.
TAMU is also a cheap school compared to the university of texas at Austin plus there are a lot of Nigerians there.
Re: Preparing for GRE by trillions: 2:25pm On Sep 01, 2008
@eyohimself,

pls do send me ptf copy of GRE practice bigbook and the korean math practice.

thks

joseph

winnstra2004@yahoo.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 2:00pm On Jul 14, 2009
Hey guys, I thought I should revive this old, helpful, thread. I happen to be preparing for the the GRE myself and I know that there are Nairalanders out there doing same. Let's share our experiences so that we can make the best out of our preparation and eventually fulfill our dreams of studying abroad.

@ C JAY, Me sef, Eyo, tboy, Dividends, trillions et al. Please share your stories -successful or not, I'm sure we will benefit from them.

I intend to take the exam in late August. I have a full time job, so studying is quite challenging. Anyways, I'm going to schedule my leave such that it falls close to the exam date. By the way, I have a question. I'm considering registering for the exam via my Intercontinental bank Master Card as against going through accredited agents because I heard it was possible. I understand that ETS says credit card registration is not availiable in Nigeria, but are there people out there who have done it successfully? I need to know so that I can credit the card. I also need to know if there are disadvantages to registering the Card way.

Thanks guys, Holla back!
Re: Preparing for GRE by bumdish: 1:49pm On Jul 22, 2009
Great job here. Lets revive this thread. Preparing currently
Re: Preparing for GRE by arshy(m): 4:01pm On Jul 22, 2009
Preparing too. In fact, i am taking mine next week Wed. I am using Kaplan, i think its ok sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.