Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Do Ijaws Have Any Cultural Tattoos? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Ijaws Have Any Cultural Tattoos? (2280 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Ijaws Have Any Cultural Tattoos? by Nobody: 11:15am On May 24, 2012
I am Polynesian descent(Samoan/Niuean) and in my cultures we have cultural tats called Pe'as and Taulimas(Samoan traditional patterns in the form of a band) The Rock(Wrestler/actor) is half samoan he got the traditional samoan sleeve..anyways my Hubby of ijaw descent and when i travel back to naija to visit family I want to get an ijaw tattoo..I already have a samoan taulima tat in remembrance of my grandparents who raised me and i want an ijaw tat done in naija in respect to my hubby lineage?
Re: Do Ijaws Have Any Cultural Tattoos? by emofine2(f): 12:07pm On May 24, 2012
Oh you're Polynesian? Cool...I'm kinda intrigued by the culture and I love the native tatts too - sorry to derail slightly but do Samoans also have their own style of "haka"? ...I was just under the impression that all Polynesians kinda do....

As to your question I'm not Ijaw so unfortunately I'm not entirely sure about the existence of tattoos in their culture - but if it turned out they had other means of body art instead ...take for instance scarification...would you consider it?...

Sorry one more question....how do Polynesians create their tatts?...(I'm assuming it's not as other tattoos are done in popular culture)
Re: Do Ijaws Have Any Cultural Tattoos? by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:00pm On May 24, 2012
krystabella28: I am Polynesian descent(Samoan/Niuean) and in my cultures we have cultural tats called Pe'as and Taulimas(Samoan traditional patterns in the form of a band) The Rock(Wrestler/actor) is half samoan he got the traditional samoan sleeve..anyways my Hubby of ijaw descent and when i travel back to naija to visit family I want to get an ijaw tattoo..I already have a samoan taulima tat in remembrance of my grandparents who raised me and i want an ijaw tat done in naija in respect to my hubby lineage?

I dont really know the Ijaw culture that much but am yet to see an Ijaw man with tatoo cos most of them are dark skinned,however we do have what we call"uli" drawing(artistic skin paintings) meant for women in Igboland which they wear mostly during traditional marriage but this paintings can actually be erased. They do use them in some nollywood movies.
Re: Do Ijaws Have Any Cultural Tattoos? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:16pm On May 24, 2012
@OP, you are a disgrace to Polynesians. no wonder there are very few pure Samoan Tribepeople left today.

@emöfine2, she means something like this, :

[img]http://4.bp..com/-QRFjYSIzU0E/ToeAUwoCglI/AAAAAAAAESE/LVlqfNz-6QU/s1600/10.jpg[/img]
Re: Do Ijaws Have Any Cultural Tattoos? by Johndoe100(m): 4:21am On May 25, 2012
krystabella28: I am Polynesian descent(Samoan/Niuean) and in my cultures we have cultural tats called Pe'as and Taulimas(Samoan traditional patterns in the form of a band) The Rock(Wrestler/actor) is half samoan he got the traditional samoan sleeve..anyways my Hubby of ijaw descent and when i travel back to naija to visit family I want to get an ijaw tattoo..I already have a samoan taulima tat in remembrance of my grandparents who raised me and i want an ijaw tat done in naija in respect to my hubby lineage?

Yes, we do have tatoos, but I would have to come back to you on specifics, like which ones you can get.

(1) (Reply)

At A Crossroad- Should I Remain In America Or Come Back To Nigeria / Old Igbo Men And Black Half Shimi / 15 Yr Old Nigerian Donates 10,000 Pairs Of Shoes To Abuja And Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.