Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,996 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains (1272 Views)

Strange Food Combinations Some Nigerians Eat / 5 Weird Animals Nigerians Eat / Do Nigerians Eat Fufu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 11:50am On May 27, 2012
‘Nigerians eat 15-yr-old
foreign reserved grains’ Written by Collins Nnabuife, Abuja
Friday, 25 May 2012

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr Akinwunmi Adesina, has frowned on the rate at which Nigerians consume foreign rice, stressing they are 15-year-old foreign reserved grains. Dr Adesina said this while showing newsmen the locally-made Benue rice, at the secretariat of the ministry, in Abuja. The minister described the foreign grains as “better for livestocks,” stressing that some Nigerians imported those grains for selfish economic interest. He implored Nigerians to patronise the locally-produced rice, which he described as more nutritious than its foreign counterpart. He also described the Benue rice as a long parboiled rice, stressing that the rice would compete favourably in international community. The minister also displayed a locally- fabricated cassava processing machine, which was manufactured in Jos, Plateau State. He said the machine would cost N180,000, adding that the ministry was collaborating with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to make funds available for farmers. Dr Adesina had earlier announced the local purchasing order (LPO) for cassava grits for Nigerian processors. While announcing the LPO, the minister
said “the quantity of cassava grits require annually is about 480,000 metric tonnes,” adding that the stakeholders had been assured that 10 per cent was the starting point, since it had been proved that 50 per cent inclusion was possible. Dr Adesina said the emerging opportunity now opened to cassava farmers in the area of substituting 10 per cent of maize with cassava in poultry feed must be utilised.
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 15, 2012
How then do we lay our hands on benue rice?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2012
We have it in the market only that we love the so called 'Uncle Ben'!
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 15, 2012
Guy try and enlighten me instead of being sarcastic. Shebi na me ask question?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 7:14pm On Jun 15, 2012
Sarcastic u mean? Lol! I was only making my point known and not in anyway refering to you or your post.
To the question, I really don't know which from which but I do know they are all termed 'local'. Its a fact however that our locals have more of nutritional value than those from Thailand and co.
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 12:08am On Jun 16, 2012
Ok. Thanks . I shall keep my ears and eyes open.
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 4:21am On Jun 16, 2012
You are most welcome. Have you ever tried the 'Ofada'?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by GeorgeD1(m): 5:10pm On Jun 16, 2012
e-mail:
‘Nigerians eat 15-yr-old
foreign reserved grains’ Written by Collins Nnabuife, Abuja
Friday, 25 May 2012

The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr Akinwunmi Adesina, has frowned on the rate at which Nigerians consume foreign rice, stressing they are 15-year-old foreign reserved grains. Dr Adesina said this while showing newsmen the locally-made Benue rice, at the secretariat of the ministry, in Abuja. The minister described the foreign grains as “better for livestocks,” stressing that some Nigerians imported those grains for selfish economic interest. He implored Nigerians to patronise the locally-produced rice, which he described as more nutritious than its foreign counterpart. He also described the Benue rice as a long parboiled rice, stressing that the rice would compete favourably in international community. The minister also displayed a locally- fabricated cassava processing machine, which was manufactured in Jos, Plateau State. He said the machine would cost N180,000, adding that the ministry was collaborating with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to make funds available for farmers. Dr Adesina had earlier announced the local purchasing order (LPO) for cassava grits for Nigerian processors. While announcing the LPO, the minister
said “the quantity of cassava grits require annually is about 480,000 metric tonnes,” adding that the stakeholders had been assured that 10 per cent was the starting point, since it had been proved that 50 per cent inclusion was possible. Dr Adesina said the emerging opportunity now opened to cassava farmers in the area of substituting 10 per cent of maize with cassava in poultry feed must be utilised.

is this news?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 16, 2012
e-mail:
You are most welcome. Have you ever tried the 'Ofada'?
yes I have and it has gotten quite expensive in recent times.
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 9:00pm On Jun 16, 2012
Good for you. Expect those days in my friend's house in school, I haven't tasted it. I am proudly Nigeria anyway. grin
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 17, 2012
How come u don't eat it. Shouldn't u be practicing what u preach?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 4:17pm On Jun 17, 2012
funny you. grin. I tasted it then that's what I mean, although I haven't gone to the market to buy it.
Thing is, if the producers brings up the type that I won't stress myself in an attempt to cook it (removing stones, sieve it) then why not? I'll love it.
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 17, 2012
Just ask and ye shall receive. There are loads of picked and repackaged ofada rice
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 7:39pm On Jun 17, 2012
And to think you asked how to get Benin rice. Well, now am asking, how can I get the repackaged and rebranded Ofada rice? Name and address needed?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 17, 2012
What's ur email address?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by email1(m): 12:15am On Jun 18, 2012
Its getting quite interesting. Thanks alot. Got it. I've messaged you. Cheers!
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by GeorgeD1(m): 4:55pm On Jun 19, 2012
can i be included in your list too? i want to taste that ofada rice pls?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 20, 2012
George_D: can i be included in your list too? i want to taste that ofada rice pls?
ur email?
Re: Nigerians Eat 15-yr-old Foreign Reserved Grains by GeorgeD1(m): 10:39am On Jun 20, 2012
idprincess: ur email?

pinkboy_ng at yahoo dot com

thanks in advance!

(1) (Reply)

Wat Is Dat Special Meal U Love Takin Durin Special Occassions? / Luxury Designer Alexander Amosu Creates World's Most Expensive Champagne / (PHOTO) - Healthy Fried Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.