Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life (860 Views)

Salvation Ministries 5 Night Of Glory 2016 Preview / Christ Is The Ultimate Goal Of Christianity / Salvation - The Indispensable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by naslinks(m): 8:42pm On May 28, 2012
MEDITATION OF THE DAY(Scripture:Mark 10:17-27 )
THEME:HOW CAN WE ATTAIN SALVATION?THE ULTIMATE GOAL IN LIFE

The rich young man approaches Jesus urgently, and upon reaching him falls to his knees. He has something important on his mind. He asks a question, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ (v. 17). 

Jesus’ answer is simple: he indicates that it is necessary to keep the commandments. He makes the close connection between eternal life and obedience to God’s commandments. In Veritatis splendor Blessed John Paul II expounds this truth: ‘God’s commandments show man the path of life and they lead to it. From the very lips of Jesus, the new Moses, man is once again given the commandments of the Decalogue. Jesus himself definitely confirms them and proposes them to us as the way and condition of salvation’ (para. 12).

Yet the young man is brought to the realization that something else is needed of him. ‘Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me”’ (v. 21). These words have surely been responsible for the deep commitment to Christ of many men and women throughout the ages.

It is not for all of us to renounce everything we own in this way, although there is a close link between our attitude to the things of this world and following Christ. The more we become attached to the material the less we yearn for the spiritual, and yet the more we taste the spiritual the weaker is the hold of the material.

The evident weakness of the rich young man produces in him sadness. It is only as we too come in touch with our own inability to change ourselves that we can tackle the pride that is often at the heart of our love for the world. It is the work of the Holy Spirit which allows us to see our frailty and provides the grace humbly to turn to Jesus. There is surely power and grace to change if only we will humble ourselves before God. He will never turn us away; in fact he desires nothing more than to free us from the hold that these transient and fleeting desires have upon our lives.

PRAYER:Lord, grant me the courage to divest myself of all that stands between yourself and me. There is nothing that I possess that is worth more than my relationship with you. Help me to be poor in your sight.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by Ptolomeus(m): 10:35pm On May 28, 2012
I have been analyzing their thinking.
If it is true that God ever forgive us, reaching our repentance, for then I will continue my life in peace, without paying tithes to a pastor who wants to live without working ...
When you die, I just regret.
God will always forgive us.
Meanwhile I'll enjoy life big!
I agree with you.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by buzugee(m): 11:21pm On May 28, 2012
Ptolomeus: I have been analyzing their thinking.
If it is true that God ever forgive us, reaching our repentance, for then I will continue my life in peace, without paying tithes to a pastor who wants to live without working ...
When you die, I just regret.
God will always forgive us.
Meanwhile I'll enjoy life big!
I agree with you.
Ptolomeus i need to come to montevideo. you arrange nice concubines for an israelite man like myself ? undecided
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by italo: 4:54am On May 29, 2012
@ OP,

Thank you.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by ichuka(m): 11:22am On May 29, 2012
naslinks: MEDITATION OF THE DAY(Scripture:Mark 10:17-27 )
THEME:HOW CAN WE ATTAIN SALVATION?THE ULTIMATE GOAL IN LIFE

The rich young man approaches Jesus urgently, and upon reaching him falls to his knees. He has something important on his mind. He asks a question, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ (v. 17). 

Jesus’ answer is simple: he indicates that it is necessary to keep the commandments. He makes the close connection between eternal life and obedience to God’s commandments. In Veritatis splendor Blessed John Paul II expounds this truth: ‘God’s commandments show man the path of life and they lead to it. From the very lips of Jesus, the new Moses, man is once again given the commandments of the Decalogue. Jesus himself definitely confirms them and proposes them to us as the way and condition of salvation’ (para. 12).

Yet the young man is brought to the realization that something else is needed of him. ‘Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me”’ (v. 21). These words have surely been responsible for the deep commitment to Christ of many men and women throughout the ages.

It is not for all of us to renounce everything we own in this way, although there is a close link between our attitude to the things of this world and following Christ. The more we become attached to the material the less we yearn for the spiritual, and yet the more we taste the spiritual the weaker is the hold of the material.

The evident weakness of the rich young man produces in him sadness. It is only as we too come in touch with our own inability to change ourselves that we can tackle the pride that is often at the heart of our love for the world. It is the work of the Holy Spirit which allows us to see our frailty and provides the grace humbly to turn to Jesus. There is surely power and grace to change if only we will humble ourselves before God. He will never turn us away; in fact he desires nothing more than to free us from the hold that these transient and fleeting desires have upon our lives.

PRAYER:Lord, grant me the courage to divest myself of all that stands between yourself and me. There is nothing that I possess that is worth more than my relationship with you. Help me to be poor in your sight. 

The Rich man was wrong in his acsertation.we dont "do" to attain enternal life.
Our Lord Jesus Christ explained to him that it is impossible for him to "do" to attain Enternal life,since he have been "doing" all his life,there's nothing he can still "do" to attain it.
Though its impossible with man,it is very possible with God.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by italo: 10:51am On May 30, 2012
i.chuka:

The Rich man was wrong in his acsertation.we dont "do" to attain enternal life.
Our Lord Jesus Christ explained to him that it is impossible for him to "do" to attain Enternal life,since he have been "doing" all his life,there's nothing he can still "do" to attain it.
Though its impossible with man,it is very possible with God.
[quote author=i.chuka]

Still Jesus told him to "do!" - "go sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, ...and then come and follow me"

"dooooooo!"
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by ichuka(m): 11:13am On May 30, 2012
italo: [/quote][quote author=italo]

You are not getting it.since the rich man is looking for something to "do" to inherit Enternal life,which is impossible for man,but possible with God..Matt19:26.Christ told him to sell all he had,knowing quite well that its impossible for him to do that.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by italo: 12:02pm On May 30, 2012
Not exactly.

The rich man calls Jesus "good teacher", but Jesus is not merely a good teacher, he is God. That's why Jesus says "why do you call me good?" 'Only one is good.'

Its more like saying "are you accepting me as God or not." "If I am 'good', then I'm God but if I'm not God, don't call me good"

That why Jesus mentions only commandments not directly related to God. He leaves out the ones directly referring to God. He is to capture them all later by saying "then come and follow me", because he is God.

But even, to follow him...is to DO something.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by italo: 12:07pm On May 30, 2012
Not exactly.

The rich man calls Jesus "good teacher", but Jesus is not merely a good teacher, he is God. That's why Jesus says "why do you call me good?" 'Only one is good.'

Its more like saying "are you accepting me as God or not." "If I am 'good', then I'm God but if I'm not God, don't call me good"

That why Jesus mentions only commandments not directly related to God. He leaves out the ones directly referring to God. He is to capture them all later by saying "then come and follow me", because he is God.

The rich man did not follow him only because he didn't want to do away with his possesions and he did not realize from the discourse that Jesus was God.

Later, Jesus says its difficult for a rich man to enter heaven but "with God its possible"

How does a rich man get with God? By following Jesus.

But, even to follow him...is to DO something.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by ichuka(m): 1:41pm On May 30, 2012
italo: Not exactly.

The rich man did not follow him only because he didn't want to do away with his possesions and he did not realize from the discourse that Jesus was God.

Later, Jesus says its difficult for a rich man to enter heaven but "with God its possible"

How does a rich man get with God? By following Jesus.

But, even to follow him...is to DO something.

How do we follow Him? Is it by trying to keep His Commandments?
Man can never please God,all our so called righteousness is an affront to His Cross.
Thats the reason He came in the first place.
The law was NOT given to man for him to keep/uphold it.God gave us His laws in the full knowledge that it would be broken completely us.so that we would know that we are trangressor and sinners.
Its the sick that needs a doctor( Christ).
The Commandments/ the law is like a thermometer that leads us to seek for a doctor.the thermometer cant heal us,it only point us to the healer.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by italo: 2:38pm On May 30, 2012
There's no need of the usual rigmarolling.

Jesus said "...then come and follow me."

That is to "do" something. Not to do nothing.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by ichuka(m): 2:59pm On May 30, 2012
italo: There's no need of the usual rigmarolling.

Jesus said "...then come and follow me."

That is to "do" something. Not to do nothing.

You are still not getting it.
Since he wanted something to DO,Christ told him what he must DO,to follow Him.which is impossible for any man to DO,to inherit Enternal life.but very possible through God.
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by Ptolomeus(m): 5:09pm On May 30, 2012
buzugee: Ptolomeus i need to come to montevideo. you arrange nice concubines for an israelite man like myself ? undecided
Dear friend ... hahahaha Here are some beautiful women abound!
You are welcome! If you agree, I help with the selection of concubines!
A big hug my dear friend!
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by italo: 6:09pm On May 30, 2012
i.chuka:

You are still not getting it.
Since he wanted something to DO,Christ told him what he must DO,to follow Him.which is impossible for any man to DO,to inherit Enternal life.but very possible through God.

I no argue again. No be you talk say Jesus no get mama that time...
Re: How Can We Attain Salvation?the Ultimate Goal In Life by ichuka(m): 11:47pm On May 30, 2012
italo:

I no argue again. No be you talk say Jesus no get mama that time...

na wa oo,so your god get mama? Who come b d papa of your god??

(1) (Reply)

God-hardened Hearts / Clubbing And partying: More shame On christians / My Prayer For Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.