Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,802 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Soldier's Duty - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Soldier's Duty (522 Views)

Can A Soldier Go To Heaven? / Forces Like Police, Soldier, Navy Etc Has No Place In Heaven / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldier's Duty by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:24am On May 31, 2012
Soldier's Duty
May 31, 2012

"Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier" (2 Timothy 2:3-4)

As Paul came to the end of his earthly life, he took great pains to encourage his disciple to "be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 2:1) and to guard and pass on the precious teachings that Paul had taught him.

Paul compared Timothy's life in the ministry of the gospel to the life of a soldier. The Greek word translated "endure hardness" is used twice more by Paul, each in this book. "But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions |same word|, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry" (2 Timothy 4:5). Paul holds himself up as an example of such endurance when he claims: "I suffer trouble |same word|, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound" (2 Timothy 2:9).

As soldiers of Jesus Christ, we are to avoid entangling ourselves with something that will hinder our effectiveness. The word "entangled" means "entwined," or "involved with." The soldier must be able to draw his weapon freely and use it effectively, and cannot do so if something is clutching onto him, binding his arms and legs.

Our text follows the well-known admonition: "Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also" (vv. 1-2). The goal of a soldier is to please his leader. So must be our goal in the warfare at hand, preserving and passing on the truth. As Christians, we have been chosen to be in the army of the General who Himself died to assure our ultimate victory. He deserves our total devotion. JDM

For more . . . .
Re: Soldier's Duty by LogicMind: 10:54am On May 31, 2012
May amadioha prevent me from joining such army of cowards.
my duty as a soldier is to make sure my enemies meet untimely death.
Re: Soldier's Duty by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:57am On May 31, 2012
Logic Mind:

May amadioha prevent me from joining such army of cowards.
my duty as a soldier is to make sure my enemies meet untimely death.

Either you like it or not you are already in a war of your soul. The question is, on whose side are you on? On the truth's side or on the lie?

Re: Soldier's Duty by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 31, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Either you like it or not you are already in a war of your soul. The question is, on whose side are you on? On the truth's side or on the lie?
yea,your right. The war is inevitable!
Re: Soldier's Duty by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:00pm On May 31, 2012
handsomeness:

yea,your right. The war is inevitable!

True. There is no sitting on the fence. It's either one is for Christ or against Him.

(1) (Reply)

Watch Out For Divine Interventions Coming Your Way Today. / Church Bombed In Jos While Another Attacked In Borno / Forewarned Is Forearmed!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.