Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,724 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks (8386 Views)

Tips For Winning Customers To Your Business / Is GTBank Forcing Customers To Open Current Accounts? / How Do I Get A National Identity Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by nwabobo: 4:16am On Jun 01, 2012
By Babajide Komolafe
LAGOS —The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, yesterday, imposed fresh condition for owning a bank account saying that from January 8, 2013, the National Identity Number, NIN, would be criteria for owning and operating a bank account in the country.

To this effect, from September 1 this year,  CBN in conjunction with the National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, and the Nigeria Interbank Settlement System, NIBSS, would commence  a three months  enrollment exercise for all  existing banks’ customers to capture their biometrics and issue  to them NIN as well as a General Purpose Identity Card.
This was announced via a circular to all deposit money banks, microfinance banks and primary mortgage institutions, PMIs, on the use of the National Identity Number, NIN, for the Know Your Customer, KYC, verification.

Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Interior, Rep. Umar Bature (r) being captured for the National Identity Number (NIN) at the National Identity Management Commission Abuja recently. NAN Photo.
The circular was signed by Mr. Dipo Fatokun, Director, Banking and Payments System Department.

The circular said: “As part of CBN’s efforts to bolster the banking industry and the entire financial system, the Bank in the recent past commenced steps to overhaul the KYC processes in banks, including the recently concluded customer account verification exercise.
In furtherance to this exercise, the Bankers Committee at a recent meeting resolved to adopt the new National Identity Number, NIN, which is expected to be issued from September 2012 by the National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, in conjunction with its front-ends partners as the new basis for KYC for financial transactions going forward.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/customers-to-provide-national-identity-number-at-banks-cbn/
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by nwabobo: 4:18am On Jun 01, 2012
For once, this Mallam seems to get it right. Nice one SLS.

1 Like

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by dasparrow: 5:03am On Jun 01, 2012
nwabobo: By Babajide Komolafe
LAGOS —The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, yesterday, imposed fresh condition for owning a bank account saying that from January 8, 2013, the National Identity Number, NIN, would be criteria for owning and operating a bank account in the country.

To this effect, from September 1 this year,  CBN in conjunction with the National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, and the Nigeria Interbank Settlement System, NIBSS, would commence  a three months  enrollment exercise for all  existing banks’ customers to capture their biometrics and issue  to them NIN as well as a General Purpose Identity Card.
This was announced via a circular to all deposit money banks, microfinance banks and primary mortgage institutions, PMIs, on the use of the National Identity Number, NIN, for the Know Your Customer, KYC, verification.

Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Interior, Rep. Umar Bature (r) being captured for the National Identity Number (NIN) at the National Identity Management Commission Abuja recently. NAN Photo.
The circular was signed by Mr. Dipo Fatokun, Director, Banking and Payments System Department.

The circular said: “As part of CBN’s efforts to bolster the banking industry and the entire financial system, the Bank in the recent past commenced steps to overhaul the KYC processes in banks, including the recently concluded customer account verification exercise.
In furtherance to this exercise, the Bankers Committee at a recent meeting resolved to adopt the new National Identity Number, NIN, which is expected to be issued from September 2012 by the National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, in conjunction with its front-ends partners as the new basis for KYC for financial transactions going forward.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/06/customers-to-provide-national-identity-number-at-banks-cbn/

I just hope all banks have a secure database system because I will hate to think of what will happen if sensitive information such as people's national identity number should get into the hands of the wrong people. Its Nigeria we are talking about here where orderliness and accountability are still decades away. If identity theft should occur, how are the banks going to compensate the customer or solve the problem? I ask because unless one is a "big man pickin" or "big man", you will most likely be told each day to come back today, come back tomorrow. Anyways, let's see how it all goes.

6 Likes

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by homerac7: 6:42am On Jun 01, 2012
To me, its another improperly thought out plan. Why? Because about #100bn voters registration exercise couple of years ago could have served effectively as National Identity capture scheme, whereby there won't be need for this separate wasteful expenditure again. Since that window is lost, why not wait for one more year another that will be coming up in 2014 and do an all inclusive exercise?

2 Likes

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 01, 2012
SLS has exhausted all he had in mind. So Drivers License isnt an identification in Nigeria anymore...Wonders shall never end.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by ijigbamigb(m): 7:39am On Jun 01, 2012
Though I have not been to the states before but with my experience on the internet, every citizen of the US have a Social Security Number. This 9 digit can be used to trace the records of every individual. It can also be used to track the past police or criminal records of criminals. With it, there should be an adequate database that carries the fingerprints of every bank account holder...With adequate management and combination with a working police forensic department, and the records of the NCC, i think they should be able to provide Nigerians with at least a 50 % reduction in crime rate. And more than 60% decrease in Unsolved Crimes...

But if the Nigerian Factor sets in, then this is another avenue for many political job-seekers to feast on another windfall (billions of naira) from the GEJ administration.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 01, 2012
ijigbamigb: Though I have not been to the states before but with my experience on the internet, every citizen of the US have a Social Security Number. This 9 digit can be used to trace the records of every individual. It can also be used to track the past police or criminal records of criminals. With it, there should be an adequate database that carries the fingerprints of every bank account holder...With adequate management and combination with a working police forensic department, and the records of the NCC, i think they should be able to provide Nigerians with at least a 50 % reduction in crime rate. And more than 60% decrease in Unsolved Crimes...

But if the Nigerian Factor sets in, then this is another avenue for many political job-seekers to feast on another windfall (billions of naira) from the GEJ administration.

As much I hate Sanusi. Wait, hate is a poor choice of word here, I would rather say loathe; I think most of his policies, though long-term aimed, will benefit our financial systems immensely. Sanusi keeps taking surprising steps that takes a great deal of gusto, which wouldnt just pitch him against every thieving politician, and money-launderer, as well as criminal institution; hes just short of consolidation from other similar regulatory agencies, though all his contributions would eventually clear the path for a more developed financial system in the country. Hes winning me over. Pioneers eventually end up winning their critics on the long run. This is a commended move.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by ebamma(m): 9:06am On Jun 01, 2012
make them tell how much dis scheme go cost.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:07am On Jun 01, 2012
I am TIRED of the biometric registration crap!! WASSUP NU?! angry

Federal Road Safety - Biometric

Voters Card - Biometric

Plate Number - Biometric

National I.d Card (2 times) - Biometric

International Passport - Biometric

Nigerian Police - Biometric

NCC Sim registration - Biometric

Now NIM - Biometric!!

Wassup!? Is this the new scam thats reigning now?! Who has all these data?! Internet no dey.. Light no dey so who hold the data?!

6 Likes

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Bawss1(m): 9:11am On Jun 01, 2012
dasparrow:

I just hope all banks have a secure database system because I will hate to think of what will happen if sensitive information such as people's national identity number should get into the hands of the wrong people. Its Nigeria we are talking about here where orderliness and accountability are still decades away. If identity theft should occur, how are the banks going to compensate the customer or solve the problem? I ask because unless one is a "big man pickin" or "big man", you will most likely be told each day to come back today, come back tomorrow. Anyways, let's see how it all goes.

You hope banks have a secure database yet you entrust them to keep you money and that of thousands of others safe. Pray tell, what have they been using to run their businesses till now?
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by 80kobo(m): 9:17am On Jun 01, 2012

Nice one, maybe it would finally make the identity management board sit up.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by 80kobo(m): 9:17am On Jun 01, 2012

Nice one, maybe it would finally make the identity management board sit up.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by programmer2: 9:19am On Jun 01, 2012
some body wan hamer money what happen to the first one we did
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Piyke: 9:20am On Jun 01, 2012
Even an international passport isn't good enough I do not know any country where a passport cannot stand as a valid means of identification for any transaction. The international passport is to me the highest identification tool available

2 Likes

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by ijigbamigb(m): 9:20am On Jun 01, 2012
aasog1:

As much I hate Sanusi. Wait, hate is a poor choice of word here, I would rather say loathe; I think most of his policies, though long-term aimed, will benefit our financial systems immensely. Sanusi keeps taking surprising steps that takes a great deal of gusto, which wouldnt just pitch him against every thieving politician, and money-launderer, as well as criminal institution; hes just short of consolidation from other similar regulatory agencies, though all his contributions would eventually clear the path for a more developed financial system in the country. Hes winning me over. Pioneers eventually end up winning their critics on the long run. This is a commended move.

yea you are so right. I think SLS is a man with vast thinking and massive will. He has overtime proven to be a determined reformist. However, inter-bureau hostility and lack of co-operation amongst our ministries and govt agencies poses threat to the survival of developmental policies such as this one. We need brilliant minds like SLS in many of our institutions and not just political adventurers.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 01, 2012
Piyke: Even an international passport isn't good enough I do not know any country where a passport cannot stand as a valid means of identification for any transaction. The international passport is to me the highest identification tool available

Do all Nigerians own an international passport ?
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by ayodeji1(m): 9:28am On Jun 01, 2012
ebamma: make them tell how much dis scheme go cost.
Spirit of Okija: I am TIRED of the biometric registration crap!! WASSUP NU?! angry

Federal Road Safety - Biometric

Voters Card - Biometric

Plate Number - Biometric

National I.d Card (2 times) - Biometric

International Passport - Biometric

Nigerian Police - Biometric

NCC Sim registration - Biometric

Now NIM - Biometric!!

Wassup!? Is this the new scam thats reigning now?! Who has all these data?! Internet no dey.. Light no dey so who hold the data?!
. Gbayi!nice move but in nigeria,its nothing short of another scam in the making!
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by aieromon(m): 9:29am On Jun 01, 2012
Another brand new series on the way.We've not finished talking about the National Identity card scam and they want this.What happened to all the data captured in the past two years?
Rubbish.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Murphy7h4: 9:39am On Jun 01, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
aieromon: Another brand new series on the way.We've not finished talking about the National Identity card scam and they want this.What happened to all the data captured in the past two years?
Rubbish.
thanks a lot
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by stillme(m): 9:42am On Jun 01, 2012
This is a nice step. Let's commend him. This is another way to help FG check on insecurities. We need more ideas that can transform nigeria. I believe in one nigeria.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Reference(m): 9:43am On Jun 01, 2012
Still too early to discern what is happening here but I think this is one identity card too many. What he should be doing is pushing for the adoption of a unitary identification system that all agencies - police, road safety, immigration, electoral, tax, banking and so on can tap into. He's started off by soliciting the national identity agency, it will probably end up a banking only thing when other agencies fail to tag along.

1 Like

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 01, 2012
Why r we so disorganised I̶̲̥̅̊n dis country? Every man wants τ̅o champion his course & take glory. What stops us frm havin a one unified identification means I̶̲̥̅̊n nigeria? ǰUSΤ ONE! Instead of waistin resources here & there wit ineffective numerous existin B.S!

1 Like

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by docjuli(m): 9:49am On Jun 01, 2012
Nice step but I think the report is not well detailed.

What about a customer that has account with almost all the banks in the country? Is there a form of synchronization? I mean what happens when Bank A just captured my biometrics, next door is Bank B, who there be a pop on the screen to show that my biometrics have been captured by Bank A. Like I said, the report is not detailed. No investigative journalism in our country.

Cheers
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by POTUT(m): 9:50am On Jun 01, 2012
It baffles me how several agencies of government are capturing data without collaboration.

I haven't received my National ID card captured since (circa 2001) under OBJ when I was just an undergraduate. I am now a father of two and going to be subjected to another round of boring data capture. Just last year the NCC did their own show. Why can't they collaborate with CBN and the Nigeria Police?
They all have our fingerprints yet crimes are unsolved!

Collaboration is what we should be doing...

1 Like

Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Franasoan(f): 9:52am On Jun 01, 2012
Signs of end -time becareful,,,watch and pray
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by diesel86: 9:55am On Jun 01, 2012
hahahahaha these govt never ceases to amuse me, why do we always like to embark on all these white elephant projects. well i guess they would always perfect ways to always rob the treasury blind. GOD help us.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Reference(m): 9:57am On Jun 01, 2012
aieromon: Another brand new series on the way.We've not finished talking about the National Identity card scam and they want this.What happened to all the data captured in the past two years?
Rubbish.

I mean it is becoming a terrible situation. You can imagine the number of cards I have. Multiple identity cards government, business, smart cards - 5 bank cards, passport, licenses. Then all the passcodes which I have to store on my laptop and encode again. I mean its terrible. The worst is having to lose any one of this cards, the process of getting them replaced is a marathon. More cards, no. Consolidation, yes. Let him speak and consult broadly before setting these his deadlines. He brought KYC last year. We told him to think through. Today it has proven ineffectual.

Identity issues don't stand on one leg. They have many inputs. That's why when you are born they do naming ceremony where witnesses abound. You pop doesn't just wake up to call you Sanusi, the way Mr. Lamido wants to.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Reference(m): 10:10am On Jun 01, 2012
Jenams: Why r we so disorganised I̶̲̥̅̊n dis country? Every man wants τ̅o champion his course & take glory. What stops us frm havin a one unified identification means I̶̲̥̅̊n nigeria? ǰUSΤ ONE! Instead of waistin resources here & there wit ineffective numerous existin B.S!

I mean in its simplest form. What if I'm known to the police as Mr. Alligator and to the bank as Mr. Crocodile, is it not a technicality that can unshackle me from a fraud charge ?.

I salute his efforts but he is trying too hard, building a banking sector that has very poor societal foundations. Unfortunately if he ventures beyond his cash tower he will be accused of politiking and encroaching on executive, legislative or judicial territory. Abi is the CBN an arm of government.
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by duni04(m): 10:23am On Jun 01, 2012

Here we go with all these arbitary rules and laws. Someone wakes up on morning and comes up with one ridiculous rule. I'll tell you how this will play out. People will start complaininthat they don't have national I'd cards, then the governor reverses the decision, or the CBN governor will b summoned to the national assembly to explain his audacity to come up with something like that. That's how it always plays out. Pathetic country!
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Lakkay: 10:28am On Jun 01, 2012
I bet you if this goes thru there will be another fresh capture with a new nomenclature one or two yrs after. Why not unify all existing similar data and then update?
Re: Customers To Provide National Identity Number At Banks by Eddy2010(m): 10:47am On Jun 01, 2012
Dear country me, Be Vigilant. Be Alert. Know that all these are prelude to the introduction of the Dreaded Mark of The beast(666). Its about to hapen. You remember the U.S Obamacare RFID chip to be implantd in d citizens before acessing the medicare. These are ground preparations for this Evil Mark. Shine your eyes.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beware Of False Yahoomail Termination Request / Cadbury, Guinness, Others Lost N472bn To Naira Depreciation – Meristem / What id the difference between a business name and a limited company?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.