Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

HIV Mother - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV Mother (908 Views)

Court Legalises Abalaka's HIV Vaccine, 16 Years After / HIV/AIDS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HIV Mother by Monichilly(f): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2012
Please what's the possibility ♌ an HIV pregnant woman not been transferred to the child
Re: HIV Mother by Sissy3(f): 6:38pm On Jun 01, 2012
very possible. just have to follow treatment
Re: HIV Mother by natasha: 7:05pm On Jun 01, 2012
Usually you are monitored during pregnancy and the delivery always has to be done via CS to reduce the risk of transmission.. the final hurdle is you are not allowed to breastfeed the child either. As long as you follow the instructions and recommendations of the Healthcare professionals, the virus wont be passed to the child
Re: HIV Mother by Lagusta(m): 10:53pm On Jun 01, 2012
natasha: Usually you are monitored during pregnancy and the delivery always has to be done via CS to reduce the risk of transmission.. the final hurdle is you are not allowed to breastfeed the child either. As long as you follow the instructions and recommendations of the Healthcare professionals, the virus wont be passed to the child

correct. But in addition, u may also hav to take a regimen of drugs called "prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT)" which will greatly reduce viral load and reduce risk of transmission. If u follow these steps, with the above, u can get an excellent prognosis (95%). Just go to a nearby hospital for more info
Re: HIV Mother by ACM10: 10:31pm On Jun 02, 2012
natasha: Usually you are monitored during pregnancy and [s]the delivery always has to be done via CS[/s] to reduce the risk of transmission.. the final hurdle is you are [s]not allowed to breastfeed the child either.[/s] As long as you follow the instructions and recommendations of the Healthcare professionals, the virus wont be passed to the child

@First cancelled
Delete always from your vocabulary. Nothing iz alwayz in the profession of medicine. Besides the risk of transmission of the virus thru C/S is not significantly lower than that of vag[i]i[/i]nal delivery. Therefore she can be allowed to deliver vaginally. Provided that some protocols are observed. The delivery must be done in a specialized center and monitored by an Obstetrician.

@Second cancelled
The mother iz given the option of breastfeedin or the use of bre[i]a[/i]st milk substitute(BMS). But she has to be properly cancelled on the risks associated with each option. If she chose breastfeedin, then she has to breastfeed exclusively which will last for 3 month and wean abruptly.

@Third cancelled
The virus can still be passed to the child in spite of all the best effort of the mother and the doctor.

In addition, the child should be placed on anti-retroviral therapy which includes Nevirapine at birth and continued on Zidovudine for 7weeks.

Thankz for your contribution.

(1) (Reply)

Suya Poisoning By D Boko Haram Sect / Any Remedy For Removing Scar? / Do You Feel Very Uncomfortable After Taking Some Libido or sex Boosters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.