Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,839 members, 7,831,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change (12536 Views)

UNILAG Postpones Convocation As Jonathan Insists On Name Change / UNILAG Shut Down Over MAU Name Change Protests / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by freecocoa(f): 1:45am On Jun 06, 2012
Akainzo:

With thoughts like this, Blacks would still be standing in public buses today seeing as to him, standing or sitting, the bus is still going the same destination. What innane mentality!

What the 10 Unilag students have demonstrated is a belief in the rule of law in a democracy, and having the courage to back it up with some action. Applaud them or keep quiet but don't go criticising them.
Abeg make we hear word,did you not see\read what was written on the placards those mumu students were carrying? "Our unilag babes no fit be maulag babes",Maulag no get swag" etc.

Who told you they care about constitution or whatever?those f00ls only know that the name MAULAG doesn't go down well with their whizkid dresscode and to them that's not swagalicious.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by iykak47: 3:26am On Jun 06, 2012
Akainzo:

With thoughts like this, Blacks would still be standing in public buses today seeing as to him, standing or sitting, the bus is still going the same destination. What innane mentality!

What the 10 Unilag students have demonstrated is a belief in the rule of law in a democracy, and having the courage to back it up with some action. Applaud them or keep quiet but don't go criticising them.
So blocking third mainland bridge is also part of rule of law, stop deceiving yourself the students don't care about the rule of law or the constitution but just their selfish intrests.
Was is not when some lawyers interpreted the university of Lagos act the way it suits them, that made every Maulag student became 'lawyer' overnight, quoting and interpreting the constitution they know nothing about.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Demdem(m): 5:13am On Jun 06, 2012
By unilaterally changing the name of the school without recourse to the national assembly just for political gains as against the laws of the Land, I think the president has commited an impeacheable offence. The retardeen must be sacked now.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by lanrefront1(m): 7:14am On Jun 06, 2012
freecocoa: Abeg make we hear word,did you not see\read what was written on the placards those mumu students were carrying? "Our unilag babes no fit be maulag babes",Maulag no get swag" etc.

Who told you they care about constitution or whatever?those f00ls only know that the name MAULAG doesn't go down well with their whizkid dresscode and to them that's not swagalicious.

Have you ever be a University student? You know that students are very exuberant and adventurous. Ofcourse some will find some other humrous ways of expressing themselves. That does change the core reasons.

During the fuel subsidy protest, there were a lot of similar funny placards that does not have much to do with real reason of the protest, that were simply making jest.

Then u expect the entire students to think alike. A few placards with the words u have said means nothing. It does not detract from their fight.

Also when interviewed by correspondents, seversl students did intelligently articulate the very reason which is now contained in the suit against the federal goverment.

@iykak47
Why is so diificult to understand that the President is violating the constitution and should not. Infact, anything else does not matter.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ypzilanti: 9:18am On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

Aside from bridge 3rd Mainland Bridge seizing area boys, NURTW and ACN; who in their right mind will oppose MKO's legacy?
Lets be honest, those against the name change are by far in the minority.

I am a big fan of MKO Abiola. As a secondary school student I stopped at a rally in my state where he was campaigning for president. It was the most stirring speach I ever heard from a Nigerian politician. I liked the guy and I believe he died fighting for a principle. Whatever people say, the guy could have just given up on his mandate and gone to chop his money when the stress became too much. Thats what many Nigerians who critisize him would have done in same circumstances. In my later years, I learnt that the guy paid for the university education of a relative of mine who is Ibo (for those who say he was a triblist).

I am also a fan of due process and this does not remove from my love of Abiola. Is that so hard to understand?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ypzilanti: 9:24am On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

I have been asking folk like him by what process they think (or know) 6 other federal universities got renamed, but they have been unable to answer.
MAULAG is here to stay, no matter how many misguided souls in search of designer brands rather than a sound education go to court to trample MKO's legacy.

Under military regime. Who wants to argue with a guy with a gun? Want to take us back there? Or Jonathan wants to shoot people to impose his will? He is limited by the laws of the land. When he sends troops to start shooting people over a name change, I will be the first to tell Unilag students that the fight is not worth it. But as a legal battle, they are on solid ground.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Cypost: 9:25am On Jun 06, 2012
I support the students 100%
But in case d action fail they can do it dis way
Moshod Abiola University aka Unilag

My 2 cent
Peace

@ haters, is only by challenging d statue quo dt a new order in entrenched so let's watch and see d final outcome. Remember Ladojo challenged his kangaro impeachment n got victory unlike Alams who did not even try. After Ladoja , others like Obi were able to get victory and d rubbish trend of kangaro impeachment stop. So let see if renaming by fiat will stop after dis.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akainzo(m): 11:33am On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

I have been asking folk like him by what process they think (or know) 6 other federal universities got renamed, but they have been unable to answer.
MAULAG is here to stay, no matter how many misguided souls in search of designer brands rather than a sound education go to court to trample MKO's legacy.

So by your own stupid reasoning, since Police has been shooting people during the military era and nothing happened then, they should continue to shoot people right?
Since, IBB nullified the elections of June 1993, then Abdulsallam had the right to nullify the one of 1999?
Or even, since there have been road blocks since the 1960s, then the present IG is wrong to have cancelled what has been there like forever?

The fact that IBB was able to rename the University of Ife to Obafemi Awolowo University, or the renaming of any other university has nothing to do with the one of University of Lagos. One was established by law (Unilag, one was established by a regional government and then acquired/taken over by the Federal government (OAU). You can search, you would not see a University of Ife Act, but you will definitely see a University of Lagos Act of 1962.

And once again, it is not about MKO's legacy, it is about doing what is right!
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akainzo(m): 11:35am On Jun 06, 2012
freecocoa: Abeg make we hear word,did you not see\read what was written on the placards those mumu students were carrying? "Our unilag babes no fit be maulag babes",Maulag no get swag" etc.

Whatever you beef is with those placards, that is your own issues. Of course, you conveniently did not see those placards referring to the constitutionality of the name change, neither did you see those one about consultation, Right?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akainzo(m): 11:37am On Jun 06, 2012
iykak47: So blocking third mainland bridge is also part of rule of law, stop deceiving yourself the students don't care about the rule of law or the constitution but just their selfish intrests.
Was is not when some lawyers interpreted the university of Lagos act the way it suits them, that made every Maulag student became 'lawyer' overnight, quoting and interpreting the constitution they know nothing about.

Just the same way you are quoting what you do not know jack about. Those students that have gone to court, have at least demonstrated that they do know more than you. Accept it and wait for the courts to decide, but do not impugn their stance based on your own lazy and spineless attitudes to things that matter.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by iykak47: 2:50pm On Jun 06, 2012
Akainzo:

Just the same way you are quoting what you do not know jack about. Those students that have gone to court, have at least demonstrated that they do know more than you. Accept it and wait for the courts to decide, but do not impugn their stance based on your own lazy and spineless attitudes to things that matter.
Are you lost? Why are you whining? Do i need to remind you that Maulag university is not your property, it belongs to the Nigerian people,you are just one out of 140 million.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by walton1(m): 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2012
Dear Maulag students,
You do not have locus standi to institute the action court throws out the suit.
Queston by the court- what personal injury as the name change effected on you?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by ypzilanti: 3:59pm On Jun 06, 2012
walton1: Dear Maulag students,
You do not have locus standi to institute the action court throws out the suit.
Queston by the court- what personal injury as the name change effected on you?

The personal injury question is only relevant for compensation. They are not asking for compensation. They have a vested interest in issues concerning their school. They are seeking an intepretation of the law establishing the school, and a constitutional question. Read the lawsuit, it is very well crafted.

In breaking News, the president has just sent a bill to the house of assembly. They have finally told him. Clueless.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by walton1(m): 4:26pm On Jun 06, 2012
ypzilanti:
There suit is against the name change simple there is no locus standi
They are only provisionally admitted not pernament student •̸№ need to go into the arena of awarding damages.
The personal injury question is only relevant for compensation. They are not asking for compensation. They have a vested interest in issues concerning their school. They are seeking an intepretation of the law establishing the school, and a constitutional question. Read the lawsuit, it is very well crafted.

In breaking News, the president has just sent a bill to the house of assembly. They have finally told him. Clueless.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akainzo(m): 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2012
iykak47: Are you lost? Why are you whining? Do i need to remind you that Maulag university is not your property, it belongs to the Nigerian people,you are just one out of 140 million.

Now that GEJ has now sent a bill to the National Assembly, seeking a rightful way to change the name of the university, do you now agree that you have been confirmed as clueless, spineless and half-educated?
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akainzo(m): 6:21pm On Jun 06, 2012
iykak47: So blocking third mainland bridge is also part of rule of law, stop deceiving yourself the students don't care about the rule of law or the constitution but just their selfish intrests.

You can now rub the egg off your face. It's been confirmed that the students actually do know more than you! You half-educated, rejected-by-Unilag low life.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akainzo(m): 6:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
abbey621:
@Lanre front: Ogbeni Komot here with your wayo analysis! You're one of those twisted individuals who blatantly twist around clear fact into twisted meanings. The law is simple and any attempt to derail its meaning is futile, the executive power of the federation gives GEJ the right to oversee all federal entities, including the almighty Unilag! It's high time you people wake up, we are no longer in the 60s, your act of parliament holds no ground, when it comes to modern constitution and the only recognized version of the constitution remains the 1999 version, wait a minute! Why am I even wasting my time explaining things, sentiments and pure ignorance won't allow some people to think with an open mind, so let's leave the decisions to the court, cos we all know, nothing we do or say here on Nairaland would affect the outcome, peace!
U

Now that GEJ has woken up to know the law and has actually sent a bill to the National Assembly, would go to one corner, kneel down, close your eyes and raise your hands! That's your punishment for not learning about Government while in school.
Re: UNILAG/MAU Students Drag FG To Court Over Name change by Akainzo(m): 11:53am On Jun 07, 2012
Beaf:

Beaf, now that your master, GEJ, himself has now shown that the way the students professed is actually the right way, how do you feel now? You have just confirmed that you are like the clueless cattle you are named after!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Subjects Combination For Sociology / ABU Begins Courses In Islamic Banking / NANS Calls For ITF Probe And Immediate Payment Of Siwes Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.