Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,814 members, 7,844,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie (32111 Views)

Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane / Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims / Survivor Of Dana Plane Crash!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by poj(m): 10:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
What could be more horrific than withnesing ones own dieing process. This is pathetic
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by JojoArmani(m): 10:33pm On Jun 05, 2012
nice one @poster. Wat a black sunday for nigeria. Am really speechless. Anyway God knows why. May their soul rest in perfect peace Amen.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Kansola(f): 10:35pm On Jun 05, 2012
Baba God, pls intervene. We criously nid ur help in 9ja.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Chocho4real(m): 10:36pm On Jun 05, 2012
lord have mercy.... i heard the airspace was shut down as usually when the useless sets of my prominent so called leaders are flying, no airplane fly on air with them.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by babestella: 10:37pm On Jun 05, 2012
whaooooo
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by slimming: 10:38pm On Jun 05, 2012
it will take a long time for my mind to recover from this, all through the day today, i was just think about Pastor Akin of the House of Refuge and many other persons on the crash flight. It is really terrible.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 05, 2012
What a powerful narrative! A journalist couldnt have told it better. Btw, my heartbeat hasnt normalyzd since i heard d incidence.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2012
[size=18pt]Nice Write up Op i was at the scene today and tears fell off my eyes according to what people who live around that hood some said at first when people noticed there was something wrong with the plane, they started running after it as it goes Up Down swing left and right and that a point the plane could have landed in an Open Field but some people were doing marriage ceremony and the plane had to fly up again and started swinging both left and right 2min after that they all notice a fluid started dropping like rain and they sensed that the pilot discharged the fuel because he knew it was going to crash and that could blow up a whole community and after the fluid stopped they felt the vibration on the ground and that was the end. I was very depressed when i heard it while some even captured [/size]
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by gossips(f): 10:48pm On Jun 05, 2012
Chocho4real: lord have mercy.... i heard the airspace was shut down as usually when the useless sets of my prominent so called leaders are flying, no airplane fly on air with them.

Exactly the reason why I asked the questions that I asked. There's a rumour going round that the plane might have made it to the airport but for the shutting down of the airspace for about 2hrs. So it had to hover in the air to wait for a go-ahead to land. If this is anything close to being the truth, hmmm!
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by FKO1(m): 10:48pm On Jun 05, 2012
Dis is bad
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Beaf: 10:56pm On Jun 05, 2012
gossips:

Exactly the reason why I asked the questions that I asked. There's a rumour going round that the plane might have made it to the airport but for the shutting down of the airspace for about 2hrs. So it had to hover in the air to wait for a go-ahead to land. If this is anything close to being the truth, hmmm!

The airspace wasn't shut down. Its just a very evil rumour started by Buhari and El-Rufai people to make political gain from the tragedy.
The plane given emergency clearance to land as soon as the pilot called in distress, unfortunately they crashed before they could get to the airport.

A truly horrible story. May their souls rest in peace.

I doff my hat to the pilot who from eyewitness accounts, seems to have done everything possible to bring the plane down away from crowded areas.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by 4q: 11:05pm On Jun 05, 2012
Can anybody please provide the exact departure time of the said dana air plane from abuja in order to confirm or dispell the recent rumour that the airspace was on lockdown for 2 hours for the first lady. If according to the eye witness ( the op) it happened around 3:56pm, it suffice to say the plane left Abuja at 3:00pm thereabout.
Who can confirm that that was the actual time of departure or the plane was left to be hovering for over two hours.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by gossips(f): 11:10pm On Jun 05, 2012
Beaf:

The airspace wasn't shut down. Its just a very evil rumour started by Buhari and El-Rufai people to make political gain from the tragedy.
The plane given emergency clearance to land as soon as the pilot called in distress, unfortunately they crashed before they could get to the airport.

A truly horrible story. May their souls rest in peace.

I doff my hat to the pilot who from eyewitness accounts, seems to have done everything possible to bring the plane down away from crowded areas.

Thank you for the response but I heard it for the second time today from my younger sis whose friend works with the Hazard Control Unit of the airport.

Infact, my younger sis just finished her time wf same unit few weeks ago and I can tell you that this rumour made more sense when it got to me from a reliable source.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by zangiff(m): 11:18pm On Jun 05, 2012
we need thorough investigation to dis
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by clip: 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2012
I cant imagine the last five minute of the occupant of the Plane. I told myself what is the usefulness of the normal safety routine they tell us when we are seated in the plane when you can not use it when you need it.
The plane crash landed on a building which is not too high for the occupant of the plane to jump out.while using the oxygen provided in the aircraft.BUT THE DOOR IS SHUT, NO WAY OUT.Burning to death, cant do anything.Nowhere to run to, nowhere!
It is better imagined than to experience it, cos you wont live to tell the story.
What A Sad way to die.

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2012
Lord. The sight of a passenger airplane dangling so low in such a densely populated residential area would freak me out for sure. This tragedy is unbelievable.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Reference(m): 11:21pm On Jun 05, 2012
Andro Blaze:

Did it occur to you that if he is being truthful all he can say is what he witnessed, and we only see what we want to see, not the full picture.

Of course I understand what he said he saw. What I mean is that when you read the heading you expect facts not news. The bulk of what he relates are post impact. Really not helpful except to those who are in charge of disaster management not aviation.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 05, 2012
McDonnell Douglas has a very dark history...Google the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 series and you 'll find out a gory history of accidents resulting from its cargo door opening outwards and getting blown-off when air borne as a result of cabin pressure...

I'll rather do Abuja or Lagos by road, chau enough Pounded yam with Bush-meat at Okene, than fly in an MD...
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Rafaell(m): 11:27pm On Jun 05, 2012
mmmmmmmgghhhhh !!!
WHAT A WORLD !
WHAT A LIFE !!
May God grant d souls of His departed in that inferno Eternal Rest, in Jesus Name ...

On a lighter note, I used 2stay wth my cousin somwher in Ijesha and evrytime planes on d landing phase of their flights alwys use 2fly above d hse, and I alwys use 2say in my mind, "what if one of these planes crash-lands in2 our neighorhood, destroyin houses & burnin pple 2death..." ?
I WIL THEN ACT OUT IN MY MIND, d urgent steps I'll take in d event of such..... ??!!!
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2012
Reference: Thought it will contain useful information about the last moments of the flight that could help establish the cause but like typical Nigerian reportage, short on substance, long on tales. Rubbish.

SMH ! Ge over yourself Mr.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by BaBaMike: 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2012
This is so surreal. The accident, the circumstances, the occasion. I'm Really Sad .
I hope the investigation will reveal what went wrong, so that another tragedy of this type will be avoided.
It is incredible something like this can happen in a single moment. It should remind us how fragile our lives are and how suddenly everything may end.My thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost their lives, and their loved ones cry
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 05, 2012
By the way, how does one react or behave in the final moments when it becomes certain that death is imminent? I mean, since this crash happened, I have been unable to stop visualising the last minute or two inside the ill-fated aircraft, when it was hovering awkwardly and spiralling around the buildings. Did the passengers bond together to say thier final prayers? Were they making frantic and futile attempts to escape, did they recoil in their seats soaked in tears of despair? Did the business class passengers rush out into the economy class cabin in a show of death-bound solidarity? Indeed, did some of the passengers and crew break into the cockpit to see what the pilot was up to? Mary, mother of Jesus. I tell you, the chaotic scenes in that plane in the final moments is more heart-wrenching than words can ever describe.

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by SisiKill1: 11:35pm On Jun 05, 2012
pheesayor: Like a scene in a movie, the events of June 3rd 2012 is not one I can ever forget in a hurry. It was 3.56pm and everyone had formed clusters around available TV set in preparation to watch the Nigerian National Football team play their Namibian counterpart in Calabar, a home match for the Eagles. Then came a loud scream from the grocery shop across my house, it was the owner shouting “Ki le leyi?” in Yoruba which by interpretation is “what is this?”

Such yell would arrest anyone, it was certainly an alarm! We all trooped out, since the match had not started, a little amusement could spice up a bright Sunday afternoon. Noone could guess what was behind such a distress shrill.

Getting outside, the feeling was of shock as well as amazement – an aircraft flying so close to the house roof? This must be a movie stunt, I thought at the time.

Haven always had a desire to understand the rudiments of movie-making; I thought it best to search for a camera so I could capture this rare spectacle. Some Nollywood stars must be behind this first-ever, real-live video shoot, I must fast locate the camera crew of this movie-in-the-making, I thought.

Then, it occurred to me that this massive object, with the inscription “DANA Airlines”  and as huge as the 3 storey building nearby can in no way be a stunt prop. Too close, the scene too real, too dangerous to be one.

Then poured comments and several questions – “What is the pilot doing?” “Is this a joke?” “This is in no way funny?” came in different languages and from different lips already aghast by the sight of the big bird hovering side to side, up and down. My cousin and I glanced at one another, and then it dawned on us that it was no joke afterall.

Little did we know that the pilot was in his moment of helplessness, confusion, anguish and last-minute attempt to save not just himself, but other one hundred and sixty souls (or thereabout) entrusted into his care just 45 minutes ago in Abuja.

Right at that moment the obviously-distressed aircraft took a sharp plunge straight ahead into a building occupied by a church (Redeemed Christian Church of God) sweeping though a newly constructed but yet-to-be-occupied residential building! Boom! It was a deafening sound. We – my neighbourhood was hit by a sad reality!

Those of us who had thronged out at first ran towards the crashed plane, and many were astounded by the loud sound, not knowing what the cause was.  We only could point in the direction,  a few of us could mutter “plane”, “ fly” “crash” or any other thing to communicate the horror, the thoughts in most minds was apparently running at a faster pace than words could express. The shock was indescribable!

In a moment, we got close enough but could not see much at first because of the smoke from the plane. A climb up the fence of a building nearby gave a view of the crashed plane.

Some others ran towards a 3-storey building which had a hit from the shredded wing of the plane. That was the house that the family who fell victim lived; they were reportedly seated, ready to watch the football match my entire neighbourhood ended up not watching.

As if in a flash, a fire started in a part of the building. Then came a man shouting from the balcony of the third floor, “What happened?” The yells of “plane!” “fire!” “jump!” from us all saw the man disappeared inside the house, to the bewilderment of everyone. However, he emerged few seconds later with a young child (his child), jumped down with the child wrapped and clutched to his body. As we later found out, the staircase was already crushed by the impact of the crash. I had believed and prided my father the best, but I must confess, I saw the great father in this man.

He landed alive but with a dislocated arm. We could only scream from a distance “Come out”, “Come out”; we were all too scared to go drag him out of the premises for fear another explosion or of the building collapsing. It took him about 3 minutes to get up, as he struggled out through the gate to the waiting arms of those of us who had alerted him.

We were interested in anyone still left in the building;  we asked, he could only mutter that his brother-in-law was in one of the rooms, fast asleep while he and his child were waiting for the other members of his family to come back from church. The agony of this moment was beyond words as we knew we could not risk going into the building to help the brother-in-law or anyone left.

Many residents of Iju have by now summoned the sense and courage to make calls continuously to media houses. Every known SOS agencies were contacted and bombarded with calls for help.

By now, the time was 4.30pm. Scores have gathered from everywhere around to catch a glimpse of what was going on.  Many living on Olaniyi Street and all around it started evacuating few valuables – TV sets, mattresses, chairs – in fear of an eventual fire to their homes. Generating sets were top priorities for most, as this was thought, and wisely so, a great aid to any inferno.

We could only wait for fire-fighters and rescue teams. The policemen from the nearest police station, Adeshola station came but could not do much. Indeed, no one knew what to do! We tried to break the windows of the burning storey building by throwing stones to allow for space for anyone who might be trapped and searching for a way of escape but none came out.

People started praying in their different religious faiths and tongues. A great many were in agonising tears. I was in tears. Old men with gray hairs were in tears, crying like babies. I have never seen such emotionally-rending scene, never!

There were those who wanted to have a share of the loot but those of those who got to the scene earlier prevented them to the best of our capacity.

The first set of fire-fighters came 40 minutes after the crash to the elation of us all. At least, all the houses would not be razed by this fire, as we all initially envisaged! We were ready to help and we encouraged the safety men so.

Despite the efforts of the fire-fighters, it was clear to us that with the raging fire, from the crashed aircraft or the buildings affected, it would be a miracle for any of the trapped occupants to make it through. The smoke from the airplane has now become a huge raging fireball! No one could go near, the heat was intense. We only could stare helplessly from a distance.

The first fire fighting crew did very well, and by the time they ran out of water, other trucks came. It was 5.40p.m.

Two helicopters were hovering, one belonging to Governor Fashola of the Lagos State (or so I thought) and another of the Nigeria Air Force which could not find a space to land.

The crowd had grown large, in their multitudes. Rescue workers from the Red Cross, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency team, The Police; in fact, every known law-enforcement agency was represented in their droves.

At 6.20pm, the rescue workers could go into the building to bring out victims- many of them, burnt beyond recognition, laid in body bags and whisked away by stand-by ambulances. What a day, what a scene, what a horror!

The quiet Iju community has since become a tourist site for many, robbed of its peace by the cruel angel of death.

-  Adeniyi Aliu

May those who died rest in peace and may their death not be in vain! —- News Bytes

PIN: 288E8105

SMDH!!!!!
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by juman(m): 11:35pm On Jun 05, 2012
Very sad moment.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Bastiger(m): 11:45pm On Jun 05, 2012
[quote
author=Reference]Thought it will contain useful information about the
last moments of the flight that could help establish the cause but like
typical Nigerian reportage, short on substance, long on tales.
Rubbish.[/quote]

i bet you wouldn't have done better than the op.sadist,that is the word that best describes you?
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Dancingapple: 11:47pm On Jun 05, 2012
sad[color=#990000][/color]Hw sad rily wonderin wat dey were goin thru in dat plane..4 dose dat hv gne 2 hell na typical example of "from fying pan to fire" 4 dose in heaven "from grass to grace"may their souls RIP.[b]Hw sad rily wonderin wat dey were goin thru in dat plane..4 dose dat hv gne 2 hell na typical example of "from fying pan to fire" 4 dose in heaven "from grass to grace"may their souls RIP.[/b]Hw sad rily wonderin wat dey were goin thru in dat plane..4 dose dat hv gne 2 hell na typical example of "from fying pan to fire" 4 dose in heaven "from grass to grace"may their souls RIP.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Dancingapple: 11:58pm On Jun 05, 2012
So no parachute for 9ja plane??na wa!

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by BecaciaBarbie(f): 11:59pm On Jun 05, 2012
israel ben-zion:
E never do?
u must be an animal for dis post! No human feelings at all...smh
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 12:04am On Jun 06, 2012
Reference:

Of course I understand what he said he saw. What I mean is that when you read the heading [b]you expect facts [/b]not news. The bulk of what he relates are post impact. Really not helpful except to those who are in charge of disaster management not aviation.

Yeah, the post is short on facts. It's just an out pouring of emotions.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by mecussey(m): 12:09am On Jun 06, 2012
Sad, but there is sth oyibo never do ooo to prevent fatal crashing. There should be a way to reduce the speed of plane at the point of crash with whatever that could oppose the motion. All planes has a propella that propels backwards to give thrust to the plane, why cant it propel foward at the point of crash? If that wont be easy, there is this parashoot that use to stop military planes instantly, why wont they deploy it at least to reduce the speed of the plane by 80% before crash landing. We Nigerians are not good at any one na, at least we could have tried it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? / Ghanaians Ask For Asylum In Brazil July 11, 2014 7:52 AM / UK Government Advises Citizens To Avoid 7 Nigerian States With High Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.