Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,041 members, 7,818,086 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice (1997 Views)

Architecture Or Medicine, Which Should I Consider? Help / Confused: Career In Nursing, ICT or ICAN? / Pls Which On Should I Go 4 Ict Or It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by akereconfi: 12:05pm On Jun 07, 2012
I want to go into Software Engineering (ICT n d rest) but am not good in mathematics. Plz can I cope up without knowledge of mathematics. Cos I have a scholarship to go to UK and am contemplating on Medicine or ICT....but I do really love ICT 100%....jus dt ma Parents wants a Doc in d family since am d only dude in d house. Plz i need advice and am not good in Calculations @ all
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Beaf: 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
Study medicine. Its a bloody no-brainer (if you are Mr Average).
The UK needs doctors and you will quickly earn a salary that will make your bank account jump up and sing halleluyah.
So long as you have the brains, you can always tack IT on.

If you are a whizz kid like Bill Gates though, then you actually don't need school; all you need is a plan. lol

2 Likes

Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Seun(m): 4:25pm On Jun 07, 2012
This is not a difficult question at all. Study what you love. Study ICT. Having a doctor in the family is not what people think it's like. ICT is a field that has created many billionaires so there's no reason for an ICT lover to study a different course. How many medical doctors are as rich as Mark Zuckerberg at his age, for example? Medicine should be studied by people who truly care about the sick.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Jun 07, 2012
Go for what you love(ICT) and be a happy person for the rest of your life.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Chimanet(m): 9:17pm On Jun 07, 2012
OP plesse go for Medicine since you are travelling to the UK, doctors make a lot of money in the UK, As per Mark Zuckerberg grin i will say his one in a million. Just know that all that matters in life is $money=>$success
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by dking123: 12:19am On Jun 08, 2012
Just do what you love and you wont need to work. as for maths,there's nothing to fear, your zeal will see you through.GOOD LUCK.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Beaf: 12:59am On Jun 08, 2012
Chimanet: OP plesse go for Medicine since you are travelling to the UK, doctors make a lot of money in the UK, As per Mark Zuckerberg grin i will say his one in a million. Just know that all that matters in life is $money=>$success

Tell am o! cool

The OP's fear of maths seems like a ready pointer for the clear direction to follow. Thats not to say though, that one cannot thrive in a technical field without maths, but the odds against finding that type are atrociously high; most technically minded people can take maths in their stride.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by ojochidem(m): 1:40pm On Jun 09, 2012
Study ICT because that is what you have passion for. You can get over you problem with maths if you are determined.

You can watch '3 Idiots' an Indian Film for an illustration on how passion affects career choice.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Shimao(m): 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2012
I was faced with a similar problem about 10 years ago and I chose medicine. However, it did not stop me from exploring ICT; I had to find a way to combine the two. But I must say, it wasn't that easy particularly when you're learning by yourself. Got my SCJP mid-way into medical school which was followed by some other certifications. Currently work as a doctor but program in my spare time and have a number of apps to my name. ICT is more like a hobby now but considering making it fulltime. So it all depends on your capacity and how much you're willing to give. If you must choose one, since you'll be studying outside the country, go for MEDICINE, you wont regret it. Medicine is a very long journey of largely no-return and can be frustrating over here. But make no mistakes, ICT is equally as challenging.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Seun(m): 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2012
If you must choose one, since you'll be studying outside the country, go for MEDICINE,
That's bad advice. Life is to short to waste on what you have no interest in. Go for ICT, and do what you love.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Beaf: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2012
Shimao: I was faced with a similar problem about 10 years ago and I chose medicine. However, it did not stop me from exploring ICT; I had to find a way to combine the two. But I must say, it wasn't that easy particularly when you're learning by yourself. Got my SCJP mid-way into medical school which was followed by some other certifications. Currently work as a doctor but program in my spare time and have a number of apps to my name. ICT is more like a hobby now but considering making it fulltime. So it all depends on your capacity and how much you're willing to give. If you must choose one, since you'll be studying outside the country, go for MEDICINE, you wont regret it. Medicine is a very long journey of largely no-return and can be frustrating over here. But make no mistakes, ICT is equally as challenging.

Thats the advice I've given the OP as well. Anyone with the brains for medicine can pick IT up in their spare time and have two birds in hand.
However, the OP's choice also depends on how inventive he is; creativity is the only thing that can balance or overcome his lack of mathematical abilities which are essential fot IT. If he is inventive, then he doesn't even need to study IT in school to excell in it.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Seun(m): 6:57pm On Jun 10, 2012
Beaf: Anyone with the brains for medicine can pick IT up in their spare time and have two birds in hand
Nonsense. How many breakthroughs in IT have been achieved by medical doctors who engage in IT in their spare time? How can you compete with someone who wakes up every morning to do IT, does IT all day, and then goes to sleep at night doing IT while you are busy doing struggling with medicine? A medical doctor doing IT in his/her spare time would have to be a genius to achieve anything notable in IT, and even in that case he/she would achieve much more without the burden of medicine. Let's not promote mediocrity.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Peterson1993(m): 9:29pm On Jun 10, 2012
I currently focus on both. No big deal... 100 level medicine and surgery uniben and into ict already. It all depends on your determination. You can catch six fishes with one net at the same time... Op dont get confused with your taught that only good matimaticians can handle ict. It is all the product of practice makes perfect. The only problem you will face pursuing both is that the ict will seem to be over powering the medicine. You will find yourself giving little attention to those huge medical books which can lead to failure if you dont handle carefully. Try both and give equall attention to them or do medicine first b4 going into ict....
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by lordZOUGA(m): 10:22pm On Jun 10, 2012
don't bother combining the two... You will be wasting your time. Unless you want to be an eternal beginner

1 Like

Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Beaf: 10:23pm On Jun 10, 2012
Seun:
Nonsense. How many breakthroughs in IT have been achieved by medical doctors who engage in IT in their spare time? How can you compete with someone who wakes up every morning to do IT, does IT all day, and then goes to sleep at night doing IT while you are busy doing struggling with medicine? A medical doctor doing IT in his/her spare time would have to be a genius to achieve anything notable in IT, and even in that case he/she would achieve much more without the burden of medicine. Let's not promote mediocrity.

You will find that many IT guru's are self taught. IT is an area in which anybody with brains can do very well; people like that litre the place, from the wordpress guy to Bill Gates.

A sharp person doesn't need school to do well in IT. Here are the names of the most famous IT dropouts, its an awe-inspiring list:

Steve Jobs (Apple)
Steve Wozniak (Apple)
Michael Dell (Dell Computers)
Kevin Rose (Digg)
Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook)
Paul Allen (Microsoft)
Bill Gates (Microsoft)
Larry Ellison (Oracle)
Mike Lazaridis (Research in Motion)
Daniel Ek (Spotify)
David Karp (Tumblr)
Jack Dorsey (Twitter)

http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/275886/techs-10-most-famous-college-dropouts
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Seun(m): 10:47pm On Jun 10, 2012
Beaf: You will find that many IT guru's are self taught. IT is an area in which anybody with brains can do very well; people like that litre the place, from the wordpress guy to Bill Gates.

A sharp person doesn't need school to do well in IT. Here are the names of the most famous IT dropouts, its an awe-inspiring list:

Steve Jobs (Apple)
Steve Wozniak (Apple)
Michael Dell (Dell Computers)
Kevin Rose (Digg)
Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook)
Paul Allen (Microsoft)
Bill Gates (Microsoft)
Larry Ellison (Oracle)
Mike Lazaridis (Research in Motion)
Daniel Ek (Spotify)
David Karp (Tumblr)
Jack Dorsey (Twitter)

http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/275886/techs-10-most-famous-college-dropouts
How many of them are doctors? My point is not that he needs to study ICT formally, but that he cannot hope to achieve much if he tries to combine ICT and medicine. All the people listed above worked full time in ICT in order to achieve what they achieved. They did not achieve greatness in their spare time while pursuing ICT as a hobby. They faced it squarely. Can you imagine Bill Gates building Microsoft in his spare time while pursuing a medical degree? It's arrogant to think you can achieve much without focus.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Nobody: 12:20am On Jun 11, 2012
@ Op . What`s your motivation? If you can fugure that out then you will know exactly what to do and what choices to make.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Beaf: 1:01am On Jun 11, 2012
Seun:
How many of them are doctors? My point is not that he needs to study ICT formally, but that he cannot hope to achieve much if he tries to combine ICT and medicine/law. All the people listed above worked full time in ICT in order to achieve what they achieved. They did not achieve greatness in their spare time while pursuing ICT as a hobby. They faced it squarely. Can you imagine Bill Gates building Microsoft in his spare time while pursuing a medical degree? It's arrogant to think you can achieve much without focus.

I believe Michael Dell dropped out of med school, even if none is a doctor.

If you feel he doesn't need to go to school to excel in IT, then you're agreeing with my position. For medicine on the other hand, there is no way in hell he can become a doctor without going to school; thats the bottom line. However, the dude has a scholarship he is unsure of what to use for.
He should go study medicine and then come out and face IT squarely (if he's still interested) or drop out of med school like Michael Dell if he's unto a winner.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by AjanleKoko: 10:19am On Jun 11, 2012
^^
Dell did not drop out of med school. He was a freshman pre-med student. He never got as far as med school.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by stephen121(f): 11:22am On Jun 11, 2012
shimao I was faced with a similar problem about 10 years ago and I chose medicine. However, it did not stop me from exploring ICT; I had to find a way to combine the two. But I must say, it wasn't that easy particularly when you're learning by yourself. Got my SCJP mid-way into medical school which was followed by some other certifications. Currently work as a doctor but program in my spare time and have a number of apps to my name. ICT is more like a hobby now but considering making it fulltime. So it all depends on your capacity and how much you're willing to give. If you must choose one, since you'll be studying outside the country, go for MEDICINE, you wont regret it. Medicine is a very long journey of largely no-return and can be frustrating over here. But make no mistakes, ICT is equally as challenging.

Wow...very interesting

@ OP you can do both as long as you are focused
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by akereconfi: 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
shimao, beaf n perterson.....phankz. u guys hav a point
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Peterson1993(m): 5:28pm On Jun 11, 2012
akereconfi: shimao, beaf n perterson.....phankz. u guys hav a point
Gbam... Good to know that... You are welllllllllcome. To me medicine sweet small sha but na ICT sweet pass. ICT is very addictive just like nairaland. I am even considering abandoning the medcine stuff sef because the passion is not there anymore. Am beginning to feel that I went into medcine just to please everyone and not to please myself. If anyone forces you or advises you to go into medcine without you having the full passion for it, tell him or her a capital NO WAY or you will regret it.. The horror things your eyes will see on daily basis will give you sleepless night and consistent headache. If any one viewing this thread is considering going into medcine, please change your mind ooo.... Go for what you gat passion for...!!! ICT and music are what I truely gat passion for and I will try my very best pursuing the three. With hard work, I will come top on one them or probably all of them.lol. Long throath grin

1 Like

Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Beaf: 11:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
akereconfi: shimao, beaf n perterson.....phankz. u guys hav a point

Cool. Hopefully, like Peterson1993 you will always have a second high paying profession to fall back on whenever your IT is looking tight or if you need to raise money to start a business without borrowing.

1 Like

Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by megatek: 4:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
PDMS, PRIMAVERA (PROJECT MANAGEMENT), AUTOCAD, OIL AND GAS TRAINING

10% discount for corp members and / or a group of 5

call 08035733348 TO REGISTER
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Seun(m): 7:52pm On Jun 19, 2012
Congrats. You're on your way to becoming a jack of all trades and master of none.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jun 20, 2012
@OP. I WAS ONCE IN UR SHOES. I WAS STUDYN MEDICINE AGAINST MY WILL, JST FOR MY PARENTS SAKE. BUT I JUST FOUND NO JOY IN IT, AND I HAD TO OPT OUT AFTER 3YEARS AGAINST THE WILL OF MY PPL N FRIENDS, TO ENTER INTO COMPUTER SCIENCE. THE DUST HAS DIED DOWN NOW AND I COUNT THOSE YEARS I SPENT THERE AS WASTE. POSTER, DONB CONFUSED, GO WT WHAT YOU LOVE AND STICK WITH IT.
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 23, 2012
Bigboyz32: @OP. I WAS ONCE IN UR SHOES. I WAS STUDYN MEDICINE AGAINST MY WILL, JST FOR MY PARENTS SAKE. BUT I JUST FOUND NO JOY IN IT, AND I HAD TO OPT OUT AFTER 3YEARS AGAINST THE WILL OF MY PPL N FRIENDS, TO ENTER INTO COMPUTER SCIENCE. THE DUST HAS DIED DOWN NOW AND I COUNT THOSE YEARS I SPENT THERE AS WASTE. POSTER, DONB CONFUSED, GO WT WHAT YOU LOVE AND STICK WITH IT.

U opted out or u failed MBBS? They are two different things remember. . .
Re: ICT Or Medicine: I Need Advice by akereconfi: 12:56pm On Feb 19, 2013
Am very happy to come back here to say that I have made a nice choice. I hav overcome the fear of maths. Am rounding up my IDFP and A level programme here in Cambridge College Ikeja. I will soon write my TOEFL. Finally I settled down for ICT \ COMPUTER SCIENCE and am very happy cos for the first time, I was able to convince my dad, and he agreed that I should do what I hav the passion for. Thanks to everyone that contributed, especially SEUN. I'l reach back @ ya tru this thread to say THANKS again when am in the UK come this september. Thnks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Doing A Stunning Photo Enlargement / Pls Does Anyone Know Anything About Real Global Concept's Recruitment At No 18A / The Scariest Hotel Room In The World Hangs Off The Side Of A Mountain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.