Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) (25765 Views)

Board Following & Member Following: New Nairaland Features / My Posts Don't Used To Show On New Topic Page.why / How To Create A New Topic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Seun(m): 12:09pm On Jun 07, 2012
Hello Nairalanders,

The last time I posted an update, the Following page showed a list of posts made by the people you were following. This wasn't as cool as it should have been, so we went back to work on the feature, and switched to a format that shows the topics your friends recently posted on. How have you found this change?

We also noticed a rather obscure bug that prevented people from posting topics on boards the people following them were also following. For example, none of the people I was following could post on the programming board because I was following the programming board. None of the people yamakuza was following could post on the webmaster board because he was following it. This unfortunate bug has been there since we introduced board following, but we've fixed it now.

I'm sorry about the bug, and I hope you enjoy the updated feature. We should probably tackle trolls and spammers next, right?

RECENT UPDATES:
* The Followed Topics page now has a "Mark All As Read" feature.
* Following now shows the name of your the people you follow and provides a direct link to their last posts on each thread.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Afam4eva(m): 12:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
It's great but i would like you guys to attach the username of the supposed friend that we're following. Also locating the said post is not easy as that particular thread might have up to 10 pages.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Yorisb: 12:15pm On Jun 07, 2012
Kudos Seun.
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by auwal87(m): 12:17pm On Jun 07, 2012
Seun: Hello Nairalanders,

The last time I posted an update, the Following page showed a list of posts made by the people you were following. This wasn't as cool as it should have been, so we went back to work on the feature, and switched to a format that shows the topics your friends recently posted on. How have you found this change?

We also noticed a rather obscure bug that prevented people from posting topics on boards the people following them were also following. For example, none of the people I was following could post on the programming board because I was following the programming board. None of the people yamakuza was following could post on the webmaster board because he was following it. This unfortunate bug has been there since we introduced board following, but we've fixed it now.

I'm sorry about the bug, and I hope you enjoy the updated feature. We should probably tackle trolls and spammers next, right?

You should really tackle them. Forum cannot survive with spammers having their feast on it.
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by lifestyle1(m): 12:18pm On Jun 07, 2012
MR Seun I'm asking this for the last time: Can you add pm feature to Nairaland ? undecided
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by bknight: 12:29pm On Jun 07, 2012
Nice boss! May your servers never crash and NL shall never pade agbako!

1 Like

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by ipasco: 12:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
NICE WORK SEUN, WAS JUST COMPLAINPING THE SAME ISSUE TO NIKE THE FAMILY SECTION MODERATOR, THUMB UP
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by stepo707: 12:37pm On Jun 07, 2012
My followed topics is always so much even though i dont follow up to 50topics but in my list its more than 250.why?
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by kramer: 12:46pm On Jun 07, 2012
How about a dislike button too to make things fair?

6 Likes

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:47pm On Jun 07, 2012
Tapatalk support.

do we have to occupy your doormouth? grin grin grin

WE WANT TAPATALK SUPPORT, SEUN BUY THE PLUGIN wink cheesy cheesy wink
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Pakavy(m): 12:57pm On Jun 07, 2012
seun d debugger.hail u o.but this stalking don dey cause yawah 4 we wey get babes here o
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Afam4eva(m): 12:58pm On Jun 07, 2012
stepo707: My followed topics is always so much even though i don't follow up to 50topics but in my list its more than 250.why?
You also get topics created by people you follow among your followed topics. It's not just threads you explicitly follow.

1 Like

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Seun(m): 12:59pm On Jun 07, 2012
stepo707: My followed topics is always so much even though i dont follow up to 50topics but in my list its more than 250.why?
Your Followed Topic list also includes all new topics created by the people you're following.
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by lilkech(m): 1:00pm On Jun 07, 2012
seun abeg try refresh my account o jare . . . many topics r on my followed list and I DONT NEED THEM THERE at all
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by nitrogen(m): 1:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
lilkech: seun abeg try refresh my account o jare . . . many topics r on my followed list and I DONT NEED THEM THERE at all
Lmaooooo
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
@ Seun. Is there any way users can figure who is following them?
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Seun(m): 1:07pm On Jun 07, 2012
Brand_new: @ Seun. Is there any way users can figure who is following them?
Yes. www.nairaland.com/followers
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Afam4eva(m): 1:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
Brand_new: @ Seun. Is there any way users can figure who is following them?
Go here https://www.nairaland.com/followers
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Pozzy(m): 1:40pm On Jun 07, 2012
@ Seun.. Pls, how can i post a topic.. Thanks
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Seun(m): 1:49pm On Jun 07, 2012
afam4eva: It's great but i would like you guys to attach the username of the supposed friend that we're following. Also locating the said post is not easy as that particular thread might have up to 10 pages.
Done. The name of the user you're following is now displayed, and a direct link to the user's last post is now provided.

1 Like

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Tgirl4real(f): 1:53pm On Jun 07, 2012
Seun: Hello Nairalanders,

Thanks Seun.

Is it possible we know the users that like our posts? Secondly, is it possible you make date and time a quoted post was originally posted appear on the quote? You can use the quote above as an example.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by manny4life(m): 2:00pm On Jun 07, 2012
kramer: How about a dislike button too to make things fair?

Agree. Plz Seun, look into this, do it like it's done on Craigslist, if up to 5 or more people dislike your comment, it's flagged or even hidden immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
bknight: Nice boss! May your servers never crash and NL shall never pade agbako!
Amin. Erm but Seun do you mind changing your profile picture? It looks eh, well...
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2012
On behalf of the President and the entire Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I hereby commend your continuing strides in making NairaLand the most engaging website on the entire Internet for many of us.

However, I hereby command you to, speedily, replace the 'Following' feature where we get to view the exact posts - not topics posted in - by the users we are following.

As you must know more than my humble self, there are lots of brilliant, funny, experienced and/or downright silly individuals on here. And lots of us are ever very interested in always reading what they to say. We can then further decide to read the preceding posts if we so decide.

Finally, do kindly note that this is not an appeal but a DECREE. As you are in the imminent danger of having some very grave, draconian and utterly senseless punishments meted out to you. If you force my hand in this matter, then I have no choice but to have NairaLand renamed to MAULand.

2 Likes

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Seun(m): 2:50pm On Jun 07, 2012
fresh_dude: Amin. Erm but Seun do you mind changing your profile picture? It looks eh, well...
How does it look, exactly? Try to express yourself with meaningful words that make sense, so we can understand you.

@Richfella: Try www.nairaland.com/_following if you need that view. It's boring though, in my opinion.
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by cantell(m): 3:06pm On Jun 07, 2012
manny4life:

Agree. Plz Seun, look into this, do it like it's done on Craigslist, if up to 5 or more people dislike your comment, it's flagged or even hidden immediately.
Tgirl4real:

Thanks Seun.

Is it possible we know the users that like our posts? Secondly, is it possible you make date and time a quoted post was originally posted appear on the quote? You can use the quote above as an example.

Thanks
The two features in quotation above are ok.
It'll be nice if it's added to your updates.

2 Likes

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 07, 2012
Seun:

@Richfella: Try www.nairaland.com/_following if you need that view. It's boring though, in my opinion.

God bless you young man! Chei, am going to give you my beautiful, sparkling, tear-rubber, light-skinned, full-option sister! Thanks boss!
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 07, 2012
Seun What happened to post count. Please check, I don't like going into people's profile to see post count.

2 Likes

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Jaykizz(m): 4:36pm On Jun 07, 2012
Seun Kudos to u guyz bt kant we av a situatn wer it's our folowers comments on oda ppls topics we c n nt oda ppls topic dat our folowers commentd on. It maks it mor easier 4 us to view. Tanx in adv

1 Like

Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by emsquare(m): 5:35pm On Jun 07, 2012
Ok!
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 07, 2012
Seun:
How does it look, exactly? Try to express yourself with meaningful words that make sense, so we can understand you.
Oh pardon me. I didn't mean to be insensitive. :-/
Re: Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) by koolJ1(f): 9:24pm On Jun 07, 2012
I get scared of clicking on the 'followed topics' option cuz its just humongous!!!!! As at tym of typing,545 followed topics,filled with topics dat do not mirror my own interests. My followers do not share same interests with me,I don't really care about seeing their threads. Pls as already mentioned, reduce dat to jst their most recent posts. Nairaland looks weird with all dat much numbeer of notifications joor

(1) (2) (Reply)

s / 5 Nobel Laureates From Africa (pictures) / 5 Undeniable Facts Of Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.