Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 (34639 Views)

France V Spain - FIFA WC Qualifier (0 - 1) On March 26th 2013 / Nigeria Vs Kenya - WC Qualifier (1 - 1) On 23rd March 2013 / 2014 WC Qualifier: Nigeria Vs Namibia (1 - 0) On June 3 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by Ajibel(m): 6:22pm On Jun 09, 2012
was Naija home or away, i thought the game was played in blantyre
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by adamawa: 6:30pm On Jun 09, 2012
It seems many of us don't follow football in Africa and of late Keshi's approach to National team's players selection.The team tried to earn a draw in Malawi.No underdog in Africa again.Keshi weldone for this new approach of given homebased players opportunity to represent us rather than strolling foreign based pro
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by honeric01(m): 6:37pm On Jun 09, 2012
Sports Radio Brila FM · 29,137 like this
about an hour ago ·
SUPER EAGLES FAIL TO QUENCH MALAWIAN FLAMES

A horrendous mistake by goalkeeper and skipper Vincent Enyeama enabled Malawi to equalize with almost the last kick of the game and deny Nigeria of the full three points in a 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil qualifying match on Saturday.

Stephen Keshi’s work-in-progress stood firmly against the fast runs and enthusiasm of the home team, who created plenty of chances in the opening period. But even at that, the Eagles would blame themselves for conceding in a match that many thought had been won and lost.

The Flames have much to thank goalkeeper Simplex Nthara for, as he stood between striker Ikechukwu Uche and goal on at least two occasions in the first half, just as the Eagles also survived the hangman in some instances.

Midfielder Gabriel Reuben, who had a great game despite being badly hacked seconds into the game, rose above the defence to powerfully nod Nigeria in front in the 89th minute, off a corner kick by equally hard-working Ejike Uzoenyi.

Enyeama had a simple job to do to push away a floated ball in the area, after hollering at his defenders to leave the ball for him. But he went for the ball with only one hand and fumbled, leaving the Malawians with a heaven-sent opportunity to earn a point on the day.

It was heartbreaking, as Mauritian referee Rajindraparsad Seechurn blew off the game immediately after the restart. The match itself was fast-paced with the Malawians asking most of the questions in the first 15 minutes. Joseph Kamwendo, Chimango Kayira and Robin Ngalande were particularly dangerous. But they either wasted the chances that came their way or the central pair of Godfrey Oboabona and Azubuike Egwueke thwarted them.

Enyeama’s day began on an anxious note, as a mistake by him led to Malawi earning a free-kick at the edge of the box with only five minutes played.Three minutes later, Enyeama had to be at his best to punch over a vicious shot by Kayira, and at the other end, Nigerians were on their feet to celebrate a goal when Ikechukwu Uche freed himself to a one-on-one with Nthara. Nthara saved.

Another shot by Uche, who scored Nigeria’s goal in the 1-0 win over Namibia in Calabar on Sunday, was saved before Efe Ambrose thwarted a dangerous-looking pull-out by the lively Atusaye Nyondo. A minute later, Ngalande rocked Enyeama’s upright.

In the 20th minute, Ejike Uzoenyi should have released the ball earlier after great work from the right. In the 26th minute, James Kamwendo came pretty close, while Ngalande and Malawi could have been celebrating three minutes later but the ball missed target.

A mis-timed kick by left back Juwon Oshaniwa with six minutes left in the half freed the Flames again but Enyeama was alert. However, it should have been Nigeria ahead on the clock when Ikechukwu Uche got behind the defence in 41st minute, only for Nthara to read him well once more. On the hour mark, Uche’s header was again saved. But at the other end, Malawi also came close.

The exit of Obiora Nwankwo, who had a miserable game, for recuperating Raheem Lawal with 15 minutes to go changed the complexion of the game, as Nigeria asserted themselves in the middle and played with greater confidence, looking menacing. Three minutes to the end, Nthara again foiled Ikechukwu Uche, but the Malawian shot-stopper had no answer to Gabriel Reuben’s powerful header from Ejike Uzoenyi’s corner kick in the 89th minute. It should have ended that way, but Enyeama fumbled, and the spoils were shared.

The Nigeria delegation to Blantyre will return to Abuja on Sunday afternoon. Next up for the Eagles is a must-win 2013 African Cup of Nations qualifier against Rwanda in Calabar on Saturday. Both teams ended it 0-0 in Kigali on February 29 and Nigeria must win to progress to the last round of the qualification series in September.
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by Havilah93(m): 6:55pm On Jun 09, 2012
so na enyeama fumble!, yeeeepa
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by ahidjo: 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2012
[size=14pt]It just beats me how people begin to analyze a game they did not watch. A game that was haphazardly run by BBC (about 10 lines of live commentaries-no line-ups, no substitutions) and MTN (better but still poorly done) can not be used to judge the performance of the team. I do not know where this idea that Super Eagles must win every game and by wide margin came from. No team in the history of soccer has ever done that. I do not also know where the idea that teams, no matter how good they are cannot concede goals any time (1st to 90something minute. ) That is the game of soccer. Even the first and the best Super Eagles squad of 93 had to wait till the final whistle to qualify for US 94. It was a draw and we were under incredible pressure for most part of the last 20 minutes. What were fans doing. They were on their knees praying for them. On the road to the finals, they lost to Ivory Coast. They did not win all their matches. Did they? Things have changed. It is a reflection of lack of respect for other teams and ignorance that pushes us into believing that we can easily beat any team anywhere these days. It is realistically impossible. This is the main reason we drew with Guinea, a team we knew little or nothing about, a team we hitherto chose to ignore at our peril, a team I consider one of the most dangerous teams in Africa today. The result- we lost out in the qualification series for 2012 AFCON. I remain one of those that believe that Siasia's sacking remained one of the most foolish sporting decisions we ever took. However, after carefully watching the video of Keshi's new home boys a number of times, I have come to believe, that they must be given a chance because of their tendency to fight for the ball from start to finish unlike some of our so-called regulars that stroll on the pitch in times of danger. We must learn to be patriotic and support the national teams and make constructive criticisms when the need arises. Let us give the Super eagles the kind of Support we give to Chelsea, Man United even when they do not play well and particularly when we gain nothing form such foreign teams. I reserve my comment on today's game until I watch the full video of the game. That, to me, is a rational and sensible thing to do![/size]

2 Likes

Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 09, 2012
mikuz: the guy knows nothing about footie!
\

ok, mr football number 1 fan. I don't need to prove myself.
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by awesomebenji(m): 8:50pm On Jun 09, 2012
werepeLeri:

why u no go somewhere else.
Why r u talkn like dis? Afteral, it's nt a must dat u commentd on some1's else post. Talk wit courtesy pls.

1 Like

Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jun 09, 2012
stop complaining. it is a away game and at least we didnt lose like ghana grin grin grin
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 09, 2012
Wacthing Nigeria match is like wacthing cartoon
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by mystikal(m): 11:45pm On Jun 09, 2012
ahidjo: [size=14pt]It just beats me how people begin to analyze a game they did not watch. A game that was haphazardly run by BBC (about 10 lines of live commentaries-no line-ups, no substitutions) and MTN (better but still poorly done) can not be used to judge the performance of the team. I do not know where this idea that Super Eagles must win every game and by wide margin came from. No team in the history of soccer has ever done that. I do not also know where the idea that teams, no matter how good they are cannot concede goals any time (1st to 90something minute. ) That is the game of soccer. Even the first and the best Super Eagles squad of 93 had to wait till the final whistle to qualify for US 94. It was a draw and we were under incredible pressure for most part of the last 20 minutes. What were fans doing. They were on their knees praying for them. On the road to the finals, they lost to Ivory Coast. They did not win all their matches. Did they? Things have changed. It is a reflection of lack of respect for other teams and ignorance that pushes us into believing that we can easily beat any team anywhere these days. It is realistically impossible. This is the main reason we drew with Guinea, a team we hitherto chose to ignore at our peril, a team I consider one of the most dangerous teams in Africa today. The result- we lost out in the qualification series for 2012 AFCON. I remain one of those that believe that Siasia's sacking was remained one of the most stupid sporting decisions we ever took. However, after carefully watching the Keshi's new home boys a number of times, I have come to believe, that they must be given a chance because they fight for the ball from start to finish unlike some of our so-called regulars that stroll on the pitch in time of danger. We must learn to be patriotic and support the national teams and make constructive criticisms when the need arises. [b]Let us give the Super eagles the kind of Support we give to Chelsea, Man United [/b]even when we do not play well and particularly when we gain nothing form such foreign teams. I reserve my comment on today's game until I watch the full video of the game. That, to me is a rational and sensible thing to do![/size]

Tell that to Arsenal fans, they are the ones that know what it is to stick to a team through good and plenty bad times
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by abugbe(m): 11:57am On Jun 10, 2012
super eagle any hope for us to world cup? Abeg mak una no fall we hands again ooooooooooh
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by olabode19: 12:29pm On Jun 10, 2012
can someone tell me how the five teams from africa will eventually emerge.
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by member479760: 9:01pm On Jun 10, 2012
common Malawi!
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 10, 2012
ahidjo: [size=14pt]It just beats me how people begin to analyze a game they did not watch. A game that was haphazardly run by BBC (about 10 lines of live commentaries-no line-ups, no substitutions) and MTN (better but still poorly done) can not be used to judge the performance of the team. I do not know where this idea that Super Eagles must win every game and by wide margin came from. No team in the history of soccer has ever done that. I do not also know where the idea that teams, no matter how good they are cannot concede goals any time (1st to 90something minute. ) That is the game of soccer. Even the first and the best Super Eagles squad of 93 had to wait till the final whistle to qualify for US 94. It was a draw and we were under incredible pressure for most part of the last 20 minutes. What were fans doing. They were on their knees praying for them. On the road to the finals, they lost to Ivory Coast. They did not win all their matches. Did they? Things have changed. It is a reflection of lack of respect for other teams and ignorance that pushes us into believing that we can easily beat any team anywhere these days. It is realistically impossible. This is the main reason we drew with Guinea, a team we knew little or nothing about, a team we hitherto chose to ignore at our peril, a team I consider one of the most dangerous teams in Africa today. The result- we lost out in the qualification series for 2012 AFCON. I remain one of those that believe that Siasia's sacking remained one of the most foolish sporting decisions we ever took. However, after carefully watching the video of Keshi's new home boys a number of times, I have come to believe, that they must be given a chance because of their tendency to fight for the ball from start to finish unlike some of our so-called regulars that stroll on the pitch in times of danger. We must learn to be patriotic and support the national teams and make constructive criticisms when the need arises. Let us give the Super eagles the kind of Support we give to Chelsea, Man United even when they do not play well and particularly when we gain nothing form such foreign teams. I reserve my comment on today's game until I watch the full video of the game. That, to me, is a rational and sensible thing to do![/size]

preach on my brother (or sister grin )! These are the truest statements I have heard in a while. People will think it doesn't matter but trust me THE PSYCHOLOGICAL FEELING OF KNOWING THAT YOU HAVE FANS TO SUPPORT YOU DURING GOOD AND BAD TIMES makes you play 100 times better than normal. Although I am no professional player, I can say that I know this first hand. Lets get behind our players ESPECIALLY the home based ones because they need it more than the more experienced foreign players.
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by Baawaa(m): 8:36am On Jun 11, 2012
ahidjo: [size=14pt]It just beats me how people begin to analyze a game they did not watch. A game that was haphazardly run by BBC (about 10 lines of live commentaries-no line-ups, no substitutions) and MTN (better but still poorly done) can not be used to judge the performance of the team. I do not know where this idea that Super Eagles must win every game and by wide margin came from. No team in the history of soccer has ever done that. I do not also know where the idea that teams, no matter how good they are cannot concede goals any time (1st to 90something minute. ) That is the game of soccer. Even the first and the best Super Eagles squad of 93 had to wait till the final whistle to qualify for US 94. It was a draw and we were under incredible pressure for most part of the last 20 minutes. What were fans doing. They were on their knees praying for them. On the road to the finals, they lost to Ivory Coast. They did not win all their matches. Did they? Things have changed. It is a reflection of lack of respect for other teams and ignorance that pushes us into believing that we can easily beat any team anywhere these days. It is realistically impossible. This is the main reason we drew with Guinea, a team we knew little or nothing about, a team we hitherto chose to ignore at our peril, a team I consider one of the most dangerous teams in Africa today. The result- we lost out in the qualification series for 2012 AFCON. I remain one of those that believe that Siasia's sacking remained one of the most foolish sporting decisions we ever took. However, after carefully watching the video of Keshi's new home boys a number of times, I have come to believe, that they must be given a chance because of their tendency to fight for the ball from start to finish unlike some of our so-called regulars that stroll on the pitch in times of danger. We must learn to be patriotic and support the national teams and make constructive criticisms when the need arises. Let us give the Super eagles the kind of Support we give to Chelsea, Man United even when they do not play well and particularly when we gain nothing form such foreign teams. I reserve my comment on today's game until I watch the full video of the game. That, to me, is a rational and sensible thing to do![/size]
Thank you for acknowledge this.
Re: 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 by swtchicgurl: 1:22am On Jun 12, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Thomas Partey's Move From Atletico Madrid To Arsenal Got Messy / Segun Odegbami For FIFA President Promo Photos / China Vs Nigeria: 4 Nations Women's Tournament - 3 - 0 (Full Time)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.