Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? (2063 Views)

My Unpaid Salary Is Suffering My Family / Dear Family Please Advice A Wife To Be!!! / Men Can You Do This For Your Wife Or Girlfriend? Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:42am On Jun 08, 2012
A friend of mine just got married and she told me how she asked her husband about his salary and how much he earn monthly but the husband stylishly waved the questions with another topic.. After then, my friend starts feeling bad and she tells me her husband does not loves her.. Nairaland pls advise on this serious matter. pls no insults. grin grin
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by GboyegaD(m): 4:30am On Jun 09, 2012
Lolaabokoku: A friend of mine just got married and she told me how she asked her husband about his salary and how much he earn monthly but the husband stylishly waved the questions with another topic.. After then, my friend starts feeling bad and she tells me her husband does not loves her.. Nairaland pls advise on this serious matter. pls no insults.

I would say often times it is better because it helps you both plan your finances and help reduce unnecessary expense and demands. I think it is because of the upbringing I had cos we all knew my dad's salary and also his pay day and for my mom, we knew what her daily contribution was.
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Nobody: 7:25am On Jun 09, 2012
GboyegaD:

I would say often times it is better because it helps you both plan your finances and help reduce unnecessary expense and demands. I think it is because of the upbringing I had cos we all knew my dad's salary and also his pay day and for my mom, we knew what her daily contribution was.

Hmmmm, am not sure it is the right thing to do until the man can really trust the woman to understand his financial decisions and status. If, as the OP said, they recently wedded, my mind tells me that the girl will still be young in mind and have some unrealistic expectations of her husband. Until, the both of them go through some tough situations together, she DOES NOT need to know his salary, else she might tend to be asking for much, just because she knows it costs N79 and his salary is N80.

It would be better if she got a job of her own, that way the husband would greatly respect her more and be more comfortable with her knowing his financial details. (Even if the job is just to keep her busy till the kids come, if she doesn't want to continue). No man wants a wife that appears more interested in getting cash/items from husband than adding to the relationship, cos in his mind she may start resembling a sex worker (It is worse if they have a maid/boy/chef/cleaning service that cooks and cleans at that early stage because the man may only see the wife's value in between her legs if she is not careful).

OP: I am inclined to believe that she does not have a job. If no job, she should quickly push on her own and search for something doing, if she does not have a university/tertiary degree she could still go into unskilled labour, if possible work at a day care or creche (For me i'd still be impressed whether she sold akara or ankara). Just get a money making venture, no matter how small. After about 2/3 months of being serious with it she can tell him her turn over, then can ask him his own. Let me know his response this time.

If she is already working then go straight to what i wrote in red

2 Likes

Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 2:43pm On Jul 28, 2012
The man is trying to wave the question
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 2:44pm On Jul 28, 2012
Stromae:
The man is waving off the question with another topic.. But y are men like this?

Hmmmm, am not sure it is the right thing to do until the man can really trust the woman to understand his financial decisions and status. If, as the OP said, they recently wedded, my mind tells me that the girl will still be young in mind and have some unrealistic expectations of her husband. Until, the both of them go through some tough situations together, she DOES NOT need to know his salary, else she might tend to be asking for much, just because she knows it costs N79 and his salary is N80.

It would be better if she got a job of her own, that way the husband would greatly respect her more and be more comfortable with her knowing his financial details. (Even if the job is just to keep her busy till the kids come, if she doesn't want to continue). No man wants a wife that appears more interested in getting cash/items from husband than adding to the relationship, cos in his mind she may start resembling a sex worker (It is worse if they have a maid/boy/chef/cleaning service that cooks and cleans at that early stage because the man may only see the wife's value in between her legs if she is not careful).

OP: I am inclined to believe that she does not have a job. If no job, she should quickly push on her own and search for something doing, if she does not have a university/tertiary degree she could still go into unskilled labour, if possible work at a day care or creche (For me i'd still be impressed whether she sold akara or ankara). Just get a money making venture, no matter how small. After about 2/3 months of being serious with it she can tell him her turn over, then can ask him his own. Let me know his response this time.

If she is already working then go straight to what i wrote in red
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by dayokanu(m): 3:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
Lolaabokoku: A friend of mine just got married and she told me how she asked her husband about his salary and how much he earn monthly but the husband stylishly waved the questions with another topic.. After then, my friend starts feeling bad and she tells me her husband does not loves her.. Nairaland pls advise on this serious matter. pls no insults. grin grin

So because her Husband didnt tell her what he earns means he doesnt love her? How old is she? 18?

WHy is she interested in how much he earns , The husband should tell her he earns N100 per month and let her do whatever pleases her
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2012
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Odunnu: 4:20pm On Jul 28, 2012
I wonder o! What do they gist about during courtship? I'm curious to know.
Your friend is a child, I dont care her age. If he didnt answer that day, there are several ways of killing a rat, shouldnt make her conclude absurdly
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by maclatunji: 4:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
Lolaabokoku: A friend of mine just got married and she told me how she asked her husband about his salary and how much he earn monthly but the husband stylishly waved the questions with another topic.. After then, my friend starts feeling bad and she tells me her husband does not loves her.. Nairaland pls advise on this serious matter. pls no insults. grin grin

Tell your friend to stop being petty and grow-up! As long as her husband doesn't do crime and takes care of her needs to the best of his ability.

If he tells her how much he earns-fine. If not, let her focus on other things like her own salary- tell her I said so.
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
maclatunji:

Tell your friend to stop being petty and grow-up! As long as her husband doesn't do crime and takes care of her needs to the best of his ability.

If he tells her how much he earns-fine. If not, let her focus on other things like her own salary- tell her I said so.
Nevertheless i dont think is bad to know how much her husband earns but the husband is being crafty..
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by maclatunji: 5:05pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lolaabokoku: Nevertheless i dont think is bad to know how much her husband earns but the husband is being crafty..

Sometimes what you don't know can't hurt you and what you want to know will. It is not a bad thing but don't let it become an issue if you don't get the information. Women need to stop comparing their husbands to other men. You married him, he is yours, manage him as a total package. There will be things you will love about him and things you hate, the same applies to him in relation to you. It is when you put things in proper perspective that conflict will be reduced to the barest minimum.

Communication is key. If I am not going to tell you how much I earn, I should be able to explain the basis of my decision and you should be mature enough to accept it for the time being. Sooner or later, you will get most of the information you want in due course.

1 Like

Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
There is no i in married once a guy gets married whatever he makes is no longer for him alone so he has to disclose what he makes its the familys money.
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 11:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
gist4real: There is no i in married once a guy gets married whatever he makes is no longer for him alone so he has to disclose what he makes its the familys money.
why does he always change the topic stylishly anytime she asks?
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by maclatunji: 11:46pm On Aug 09, 2012
Lolaabokoku: why does he always change the topic stylishly anytime she asks?

Because, he doesn't trust her judgement in relation to knowing how much she earns. She should back-off until he is ready to disclose it, simple as A-B-C.
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by infogenius(m): 2:26am On Aug 11, 2012
There is absolutely nothing wrong about my wife knowing how much I earn.Infact,I enjoy letting her know when money hits my account.It builds trust and cement bonding in a unique way.
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by yme1(f): 9:11am On Aug 11, 2012
Seriously I don't wanna know how much my husband earn as this might create room for comparison and that is the last thing I wanna do cool

but then again it all depends on the relationship you both share undecided

how does she not knowing what the husband earns affect their love? wahala dey o cheesy
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2012
y me: Seriously I don't wanna know how much my husband earn as this might create room for comparison and that is the last thing I wanna do cool

but then again it all depends on the relationship you both share undecided

how does she not knowing what the husband earns affect their love? wahala dey o cheesy
i dont think there is anything bad in d husband telling the wife how much he earns.. I guess d husband is being stingy or wat d u think?
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by zayhal(f): 11:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
Her asking the man about his salary may be the main reason the man refused to tell her. She should know naturally without asking formally. And concluding that the man not telling her means he does not love her is also wrong and childish.

Tell your friend to stop asking and making an issue out of this. Sooner or later, she will know especially if she has a source of income herself. Planning, budgeting, general discussions will lead to him telling her but if she keeps asking and making noise about it, the man may continue getting a kick out of keeping it a 'secret'.

1 Like

Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by otokx(m): 11:56am On Aug 29, 2012
That lady obviously has a problem.
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 9:30pm On Oct 07, 2012
otokx: That lady obviously has a problem.
lmao @otokx
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by Lolaabokoku(f): 9:30pm On Oct 07, 2012
otokx: That lady obviously has a problem.
Re: Men! Is It Bad For Your Wife To Know How Much Your Salary Is? by MyneWhite1(f): 7:06am On Oct 08, 2012
I think openness helps a couple communicate and cooperate better.

(1) (Reply)

Does God Predetermines Whom you Marry? MY OPINION!!! / "Single At 35yrs, You Are An Irresponsible Person" - Pastor David Ibiyeomie / Just Felt Like Sharing This; So Stressed Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.