Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,492 members, 7,958,496 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:49 PM

Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash (8483 Views)

Google Has Banned Me From Using Their Services On My Android. / Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets / Mobile Phones ("GSM Handsets") Approved by the NCC for use in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by smlafolabi(m): 10:38am On Jun 11, 2012
Average Nigerian own a camera hand set now, and they are never tired to flash their handset and start covering events as they unfold. Average Nigeria with his or her handset is a reporter and you will see us everywhere at accident sites, street fights, music concerts, rally or street protest, even street dogs mating on the street - some Nigerians will cover it. This is not a blame topic but I just want to use this means to enable people to contribute on how we can positively use our handsets to make positive impact in the society. How do you explain this, someone is dying in a crash all you are busy doing is filming the scenario and not how to rescue the victims. someone right is being violated in the public by been striped Unclad and all some Naijas will do is to be filming the scenario with their handsets and broadcasting it on socia media.

We are in the information technology age but we should also learn to respect privacy of others and how sensitive and damaging the informations we broadcast with our handsets can be to the lives of our neighbours. Majority of the ill fated Dana aircrash victims got the news of their family member death on Blackberry broadcast, imagine people circulating unconfirmed photgraphs of airhostesses , pilots, family pictures, most of the bereaved family members are still in shock due to this fact.

@ saddyeek why the shut up, why not make your opinion known in a gentlemanly manner, your reaction indicated that we that agreed with this post have landed a blow on your ribs, are you guilty? @ nashville your suggestion is right, but also if you see a lady been beaten and striped naked in the public must we capture her unclothedness and start broadcasting it on phones,if nah your mama or sister be the victim will you do such. see the image of the illfated crash below taken from the accident scene- if watson nah your papa will you love the dead body of your family members to be displayed and circulated this way. If the whole civilised world can criticize the way Mohamed Ghadafi dead mutilated pictures are been circulated on smartphones, what are we arguing about. I will expand the scope of this society ills to other part of the world ( obviously its not only Nigerians now , its happens all over the world, our own is just very worse.) That was what formed the essence of this post, I was part of the subsidy rally and I love the role mass media gadgets played during the rally. we are not condemning Nigerians we are just intellectually trying to make this our society a better and civilised one. All these omo alata, omo elepo, danfo conductors, okada riders , even the very enlighthned and educated ones that have access to blacberrys , Iphones, should be very carefull and inteligent with the way they use their gadgets. Thank you all for your contributions.
[b][/b]

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Emmyk(m): 11:22am On Jun 11, 2012
Spot on
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by newbride: 12:57pm On Jun 11, 2012
poster, may God bless you in a million folds
these are the types of topics that should make front page but obviously,?
hmm na wa
there are some stupid topics like tonto in school uniform
who flipping gives a rats ar*e if she's in army uniform...
maybe nairaland needs to re-shuffle it's crew....hiss

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by inspirenet: 1:05pm On Jun 11, 2012
newbride: poster, may God bless you in a million folds
hmm na wa

On point
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by watergate(m): 1:08pm On Jun 11, 2012
You are spot on@poster.....May God enrich your wisdom and knowledge and add to ours too so we can deliberate on issues and share knowledge that will better our lifes and make our country a home for us all.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by miteolu(m): 1:11pm On Jun 11, 2012
FOB in action
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by saints2(f): 1:13pm On Jun 11, 2012
God bless you. A food for thought for all to ponder on as everyone of us is guity. Thanks all the same.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by kaiter: 1:17pm On Jun 11, 2012
Great thread [img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by pixey(m): 1:17pm On Jun 11, 2012
We are all used to it joor! Even in overseas. coolWe are all used to it joor! Even in overseas.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by tuaregx(m): 1:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
watergate: You are spot on@poster.....May God enrich your wisdom and knowledge and add to ours too so we can deliberate on issues and share knowledge that will better our lifes and make our country a home for us all.
....thank u so much...imagibe tonto in school iniform....this is what sexkillz calls “discomboluted ramblings“...it seems tonto dike,davido,and dbanj are shareholders on nairaland.......hahahahahahah
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Hazeezh(m): 1:19pm On Jun 11, 2012
nothing to say
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by megxo(m): 1:21pm On Jun 11, 2012
tuaregx: ....thank u so much...imagibe tonto in school iniform....this is what sexkillz calls “discomboluted ramblings“...it seems tonto dike,davido,and dbanj are shareholders on nairaland.......hahahahahahah
e be lyk o....dem too de disturb us wif doz 3
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by cold(m): 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2012
I fail to understand why some people tend to make these issues seem like they're only peculiar to Nigeria.Go on youtube & find millions of all kinds of random stuff from all over the globe.People will always use their smart phones either rightly or wrongly,the onus is on the person taking the photos or making the video to determine what to do with it & how best to apply it.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by megxo(m): 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2012
lyk 1 thread said "Nigerians saved BlackBerry from extinction" grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Depot(m): 1:24pm On Jun 11, 2012
Imagine a young nigerian lady walked in2 my shop,showed me a video of when her girl frnd ws having sex in skul dat she'll pay me 2 circulate d video dat she's no longer in gud terms wit d gal.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by mrperfect(m): 1:25pm On Jun 11, 2012
Interesting to read.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Bawss1(m): 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2012
With this line of thinking some will soon demand that smartphones should be banned at the scene of accidents.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2012
i worked with one very rich ,american woman, who was a trained doctor but runs school.up till now she still uses nokia 1100 , not stingy woman, though, but she will only tell u that she dont want phone that she doesnt use the functions. She only use simple phones. I think it is mentality. We do alot of competitions and under pressure to meet up. Thats why many people dont know what to do with the phone feauture. Our atitude needs to be changed individually.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by blumail: 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2012
Many of us are guilty of this & it's usually done without ulterior motives but thanks for d post, it'll really get us to be more calculative about our actions & consider its consequences.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
pixey: We are all used to it joor! Even in overseas. coolWe are all used to it joor! Even in overseas.
on point..i tey with yhu jorr
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by oge4real(f): 1:33pm On Jun 11, 2012
people are free to use their phones anyhow they like.Its a matter of personal preference.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by sunjetg: 1:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
I have said it before and I'll say it again-any body that was present at the scene of the Dana crashed aircraft just to record a video of the inferno has got a big share in the blames.They did not participate in the rescue efforts but they formed part of the crowd that made access to the scene for rescue operation almost impossible.I saw on tv where a handset was held very close to somebody wailing because he had lost his loved one to the crash...Shame to anybody that is guilty of this act!!
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by sadyeek(m): 1:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
smlafolabi: Average Nigerian own a camera hand set now, and they are never tired to flash their handset and start covering events as they unfold. Average Nigeria with his or her handset is a reporter and you will see us everywhere at accident sites, street fights, music concerts, rally or street protest, even street dogs mating on the street - some Nigerians will cover it. This is not a blame topic but I just want to use this means to enable people to contribute on how we can positively use our handsets to make positive impact in the society. How do you explain this, someone is dying in a crash all you are busy doing is filming the scenario and not how to rescue the victims. someone right is being violated in the public by been striped Unclad and all some Naijas will do is to be filming the scenario with their handsets and broadcasting it on socia media.

We are in the information technology age but we should also learn to respect privacy of others and how sensitive and damaging the informations we broadcast with our handsets can be to the lives of our neighbours. Majority of the ill fated Dana aircrash victims got the news of their family member death on Blackberry broadcast, imagine people circulating unconfirmed photgraphs of airhostesses , pilots, family pictures, most of the bereaved family members are still in shock due to this fact.

[size=16pt]shut up! Without coverage how do people know what is going on!? Then tell us what are you suppose to use them for?
The arab spring that happend would it have happpend if the people that filmed it didn't, say they dropped their phones and help to put muhammad that set him self on fire out, or cover the protest that what happening, or videos of people shot or molested by authorites! How would the world know what is happening??

P.s
I am not saying 10 people arrive at an accident and 10 people take out their phones and film, maybe 2 and others help!
[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
OP,

I agree with most of your analysis especially on broadcasting the crash news on Facebook and Twitter. I thought that was thoughtless and distasteful especially since the reports were unconfirmed few hours after the crash.

However, filming someone whose right is being violated is one of the major advantages of smart phones. You can film it and report the offenders. It can be used as evidence even in court. If poeple know they can be filmed violating others' right, then they will think twice before doing it especially the police and military.

Same thing for protests. It also helps create awareness and let outsiders know what is going on in Nigeria. We cannot trust our new media to provide unbiased information, so its not that bad filming street protests as well.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by k2kay(m): 1:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
nice topic.........feels good seeing something reasonable in which people don't have to hurl abuses at each other to get their points across. bravo!
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by abakiki(f): 1:37pm On Jun 11, 2012
But have you not noticed that Nigerians do not actually catch the "action" but we always get to see an aftermath. why is that so?
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Kx: 1:39pm On Jun 11, 2012
Its pathetic,
Camera fones and cameras have taken the place of human sympathy and assistance.

Imagine if the good Samaritan in the bible was busy taking fotos and videos with his/her fone instead of rendering life saving assistance.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by theplanmaker: 1:41pm On Jun 11, 2012
We live in α technological jet age, Ɣ☺ΰ can't stop dis tins from happening. Even if dey r sometimes improper, ȋ̝̊̅ bliv dey r necessary for the spread of information. Just don't over do it simple
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by WhoIGoAsk: 1:44pm On Jun 11, 2012
makes sense
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by sunjetg: 1:44pm On Jun 11, 2012
oge4real: people are free to use their phones anyhow they like.Its a matter of personal preference.

U might be right but imagine your loved one(God Forbid though)burning in that carnage and all people could do was to have fun covering the scene just upload.
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 11, 2012
newbride: poster, may God bless you in a million folds
hmm na wa

All work & no play makes Jill a dull girl! Variety is the spice of life. cool
Re: Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash by kaiter: 1:46pm On Jun 11, 2012
I agree with most of your analysis especially on broadcasting the crash news on Facebook and Twitter. I thought that was thoughtless and distasteful especially since the reports were unconfirmed few hours after the crash.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nokia Xl Rm-1030 4gb Dual Sim Inches Android Windows Smartphone - Black For Sale / How Can I Download From Irokotv / How Do I Configure My New Bold 3 To MTN Internet Without Using BB Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.