Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,168 members, 7,842,351 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria (18202 Views)

Get Free University Schoolarship,discover How2score 300 In Jamb Garranteed / Application For Tuition Free University In Norway Is On / Registration In Progress: Tuition Free University In Norway, Finland Sweeden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by ZIGGYCOM: 5:19pm On Jun 12, 2012
I love diz guy...i pray God b wit him.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On Jun 12, 2012
Leoejiofor: What of employment, he have nt done anything in area. Is only to construct road, nd graduating people every year. Without minding that , ther are some people that do not have job. The schools we have in nigeria today is ok, for us.
The school we have today is OK for you because you can pay. There are people that don't have the resources to pay for schooling. Those are the people that the Rochas foundation is targeting.

1 Like

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by AnotherOkija: 5:25pm On Jun 12, 2012
afam4eva:
What does a university have that a secondary school does not have little of. It's not like he's building a Harvard.

1. More detailed laboratories than your average secondary school..

2. More buildings and other infrastructures...

3. Costs more money to run a University than a secondary school..

4. Tuition may be free, but who will pay the PhD. Lecturers and Professors their salaries (and retirement benefits).

Afam, you attended a University (and I'm sure a good one too).. Now imagine your University... Now half of it... and think of how easy it would be to build half of it, fund it (tuition free and government grant free) and still run a half-decent University

1 Like

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by AnotherOkija: 5:26pm On Jun 12, 2012
afam4eva:
The school we have today is OK for you because you can pay. There are people that don't have the resources to pay for schooling. Those are the people that the Rochas foundation is targeting.

Thats why there are schemes like;

1. Scholarships

2. Grants.. angry

1 Like

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by kinguwem: 5:26pm On Jun 12, 2012
PapaBrowne: SUSTAINABILITY.

How do you sustain a university without any grants or tuition fees. Wouldn't quality be affected seriously.

Except he is going to use tax payers money to run it. Seriously,a university is totally different from a secondary school.
University administrators and lecturers in Nigeria are lazy. The main source of funding in universities abroad is research grants. Students also benefit from scholarships. If governments, corporate bodies and NGOs are committed, the project is possible.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 12, 2012
slimming:

Guy, that is Nigeria for you o.

I don't understand what your problem is. Rochas has been on this project for a long time now. what's bad if such good deeds are posted on nairaland for people to see. This same man gives a yearly sum of #50,000 naira cash cool to students who graduate from his free high school and make it into Universities. I know this because I benefited from it too. Stop hating. cool

1 Like

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by AnotherOkija: 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2012
kinguwem: University administrators and lecturers in Nigeria are lazy. The main source of funding in universities abroad is research grants. Students also benefit from scholarships. If governments, corporate bodies and NGOs are committed, the project is possible.

Once more.. The government already has so much on its plate to be concerned with Rochas' Free University scheme which is nothing more than an ill-thought out political move..

If he builds one, he should make sure he can finance it.. Government has no hand in Covenant, Igbinadion, Babcock and co...

And do you know what it takes for a university abroad to be able to attract sponsors of their project?! Do you think its as easy as getting sponsors for a Night of a thousand laughs?
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by AnotherOkija: 5:32pm On Jun 12, 2012
ekwah:

I don't understand what your problem is. Rochas has been on this project for a long time now. what's bad if such good deeds are posted on nairaland for people to see. This same man gives a yearly sum of #50,000 naira cash cool to students who graduate from his free high school and are now in Universities. I know this because I benefited from it too. Stop hating. cool

What does Rochas Okorocha do for a living...

How does he make his money?!
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 12, 2012
Another Okija:

1. More detailed laboratories than your average secondary school..

2. More buildings and other infrastructures...

3. Costs more money to run a University than a secondary school..

4. Tuition may be free, but who will pay the PhD. Lecturers and Professors their salaries (and retirement benefits).

Afam, you attended a University (and I'm sure a good one too).. Now imagine your University... Now half of it... and think of how easy it would be to build half of it, fund it (tuition free and government grant free) and still run a half-decent University

Bros I know what you are saying but I believe Okorocha is up to the task. He is not illetrate and definitely has good sustainability plans too. He has been providing free education for over TEN years now to thousands of kids yearly. I was one of them. cool
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by extension: 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2012
Pls is it possible to borrow a governor for three to six months on loan? We need owelle rochas in Anambra state. Imo state people how much? Anambra state is going,going,Rochas.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2012
Another Okija:

What does Rochas Okorocha do for a living...

How does he make his money?!

What I know as a beneficiary is that Rochas foundation is in partnership with some international organizations too. He is a damn wealthy man who is into all kinds of businesses both within and outside the country; owns hotels, lands, estates...the list goes on oga sir. Okorocha has a reputable source of wealth if that's what you wanna know. A super good one for that matter.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by chusemix247(m): 5:47pm On Jun 12, 2012
Uw I which dis is true let's wait n cee
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 12, 2012
at Another Okija: "The government already has so much on its plate to be concerned with Rochas' Free University scheme which is nothing more than an ill-thought out political move."

No no no! don't even go there at all! angry After saving lots of families and kids from the streets by offering them an opportunity non of the other damned politicians ever cared to provide, you have the guts to call his plans a politcal move why people dey behave like dis sef? Okorocha opened his foundation in the 90's, built five free schools across different regions in the country and is planning to further extend it to university level, and all you can say is it is an "ill-thought political move"[/color] I think you can make a better analysis bro. His foundation has nothing to do with his political ambition (He has reiterated that on so many occasions).

besides if I were to put on your glasses, what makes his move ill-thought?

2 Likes

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Mbuko91(m): 5:54pm On Jun 12, 2012
Businesstools: Let's wait and see.
the wisest talk so far! We need to exercise patience and not hurriedly conclude....when he started dis secondary sch.ish,people talked and so far so good,its been goin fine....it might just go fine....
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by rhymz(m): 5:58pm On Jun 12, 2012
Enough of the welfarist policies Nwanne biko...lets move to other sustainable developmental policies.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by aljharem(m): 5:58pm On Jun 12, 2012
commendable, @ those criticising

It is not about whether he does it or not, but able the idea behind it. How many governor have built universities outside their states or "zones". Nigerian learn to appreciate good gesture for once.

Kudos Roachas, even if you do not build ever single university at least your heart is one the right path. 2015 here we come

1 Like

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2012
doctokwus: Tuition free university is neither practical nor sustainable.Its either d report is wrong in d sense dat it won't b absolutely free or d funding will come frm somewhere dat wudnt benefit d state
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 12, 2012
doctokwus: Tuition free university is neither practical nor sustainable.Its either d report is wrong in d sense dat it won't b absolutely free or d funding will come frm somewhere dat wudnt benefit d state

They exist in Germany. That is tuition free. I'm even planning to apply to one of them soon.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by gtechnology: 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
May almight God continue 2 bless Rochas, this re d pp we re praying for,may u live longer by God's grace
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by solayemi(m): 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
[quote author=afam4eva]For those that are saying it's not practicable, do you know that the Rochas foundation already runs several schools free of charge in the six geo-political zones of the country.) afam! Do u know d difference btw secondary school and university @all?
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 12, 2012
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by ismhab(m): 6:18pm On Jun 12, 2012
Opoki: I LovE THIS MAN!
Marry him.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by foyeks2001(f): 6:29pm On Jun 12, 2012
miteolu: The Rochas Foundation, a charity organization dedicated to the educational development of the less-privileged, is developing facilities to open Nigeria’s first free university.

The Foundation currently owns and runs five secondary schools around the country offering free education to indigent students. The schools are located in Ogboko (in Imo State); Owerri, Kano, Ibadan, and Jos.

The Principal of the Rochas Foundation College in Jos, Mr Ugbobor Daniel, spoke of the ongoing preparation to establish the free university while receiving a bus donated to the Jos College yesterday.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/education/169992-okorocha-rochas-imo-state-governor-to-build-first-free-university-in-nigeria.html

afam4eva: For those that are saying it's not practicable, do you know that the Rochas foundation already runs several schools free of charge in the six geo-political zones of the country.

North East - Adamawa, Borno, Bauchi,Gombe, Taraba, Yobe
North West - Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Zamfara, Jigawa, Sokoto, Kebbi
South West - Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo
South East - Abia, Imo, Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi
South South - Edo, Delta, Akwa-Ibom, Cross-Rivers, Rivers, Bayelsa
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by foyeks2001(f): 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2012
miteolu: The Rochas Foundation, a charity organization dedicated to the educational development of the less-privileged, is developing facilities to open Nigeria’s first free university.

The Foundation currently owns and runs five secondary schools around the country offering free education to indigent students. The schools are located in Ogboko (in Imo State); Owerri, Kano, Ibadan, and Jos.

The Principal of the Rochas Foundation College in Jos, Mr Ugbobor Daniel, spoke of the ongoing preparation to establish the free university while receiving a bus donated to the Jos College yesterday.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/education/169992-okorocha-rochas-imo-state-governor-to-build-first-free-university-in-nigeria.html

afam4eva: For those that are saying it's not practicable, do you know that the Rochas foundation already runs several schools free of charge in the six geo-political zones of the country.

North East - Adamawa, Borno, Bauchi,Gombe, Taraba, Yobe
North West - Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Zamfara, Jigawa, Sokoto, Kebbi
South West - Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo
South East - Abia, Imo, Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi
South South - Edo, Delta, Akwa-Ibom, Cross-Rivers, Rivers, Bayelsa
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Abujafood: 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2012
[size=20pt]Pipe Dream![/size]
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by playmode(m): 6:46pm On Jun 12, 2012
NOISE grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by ifihearam: 6:50pm On Jun 12, 2012
This na real tales by moon light
This man is so unserious
Free university education my foot
Even the federal government will not dare
He should keep deceiving himself and his people.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 12, 2012
What a visionless leader!!!
Running a good university is not a joke.

Is he not the same guy distributing one hundred naira to students?
I am not surprised.

let him provide scholarships to indigent students, chikena!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by cigie(m): 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2012
this Rochas guy is doing great but i don't just see this one happening...forgive me if i sound pessimistic.
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Abali1(m): 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2012
I have never been one to shout praises to our politicians. But Rochas Okorocha is really winning me over to his side.
For those doubting if it is possible, have you asked how it was possible for this guys foundation to run FREE SEC SCH IN SIX GEO POLITICAL ZONES of the country EVEN BEFORE HE BECAME A GOVERNOR.
With his present position as an executive Governor, he can easily draw international grants to help the funding of this project.

PLZ NEVER SAY NEVER.

1 Like

Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by greall1: 7:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
I dont knw why some pple here critizice dis man.some govnors never dream what people can benefit from them. They are fter their pocket & way to embezzle.okrosha may god bless u & i
Re: Rochas To Build First Free University In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 12, 2012
When a politician no perform... Una go lament
If another politician perform... Una go criticize destructively

Abeg make una go sidan jor! Confused Nigerians...

Una gods of men...which wan dem don do? No be una money dem dey take build universities wey you and your children no fit afford, buy private jets and still tear your helpless siblings hot slaps say dem be "witch for Jesus"? Rochas no ask you for a dime yet e dey give you and your helpless siblings free education... and you say God no go bless am??

I'm with Rochas on this... afterall most Scandinavian universities na tuition free..even to International Students...

If na state funds sef wey e wan take run the school... I support, na still one of the dividends of democracy to Imo people...

I'm happy to know there's a beneficiary (Ekwah) of his humanitarian gesture right here on this forum...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Speculators Sell OAU Ife Land For N2.8 Billion / FG Approves Edwin Clark's Varsity / ABUAD Invigilator Throws Out Sheet Of Student Who Submitted With Left Hand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.