Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Interswitch Update - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Interswitch Update (2528 Views)

Any Experience With Interswitch's Quickteller (www.quickteller.com.ng)? / Interswitch ATM Fraud Alert! / Interswitch ATM/Debit Card - The Answer To Online Fraud? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interswitch Update by mellow(m): 2:28pm On Nov 24, 2007
Dear Customer,
This is to notify you that our services are being upgraded to a new, better and more secured system . You are now required to register your DEBIT CARDS, X-CHANGE CARDS, and CASH CARDS IMMEDIATELY on interswitchngr.com so as to enable your card to work on our new servers.

Only registered cards will work with the ATM machines.

Adhere to this instruction on receiving this message and click here to register your card. Our goal is to satisfy our customers to the fullest.
InterSwitch Network

I just recieved this message now on my Tahoomail. Please, have anybody recieved this kind of message before?

If yes, please, what is it about? I don't know if it is another fraudulant practice or not. Please, advice.

PS. Seun, if this is not the right place for it to be, Please, kind move it to the right section.
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Interswitch Update by iykedollar: 3:16pm On Nov 24, 2007
thats a very good SCAM. what they need is just ya info, as soon as you type the info they require the site will show you page can not be found, then all the info you have supplied will be rooted to the hackers email address. he will den reproduce another Atm card with ya info and cash out ya money just like that. SO BE CAREFUL,
Re: Interswitch Update by mellow(m): 3:19pm On Nov 24, 2007
Thank you very much. I suspected something like that that was why i need advice.

I have not giving them any info and will not do it. I will go my bank on monday and

have a chat with them.
[/color][color=#990000]
Re: Interswitch Update by Pain(m): 3:36pm On Nov 24, 2007
Its a Fraud. Its Called "Social Engineering" shocked
Re: Interswitch Update by edwinbald(m): 4:33pm On Nov 24, 2007
Hi All,

I felt compelled to write this to warn you all to disregard the alert.

I was sent this same information as an email from a friend today, On searching the internet for the name of the so called virus, I found this out that the alert is on Nairaland too.

This email/contribution on nairaland is a fraud/false alert with a dubious intent to get you to act-I mean hand over your personal information to whoever is behind this plot with the intent to defraud you of your money.

I was woken up this morning ( angrywith annoyance) by an unsolicited sms from Zenithbank( you know that type ), warning customers of this email asking for customers to change their PIN on the internet.

No company of repute gives you a link via an email, asking you to click it to access a website for you to change your pin.

If you received the email, place your cursor over the highlighted (red by me) excerpts from the email without clicking it (PLEASE don't click it, it may contain Trojan horse virus), and you will see that they are hyperlinks to another website, that had the purpose of harvesting any details you filed in there.

The link is connected to a fraud website.It is a plot to get access to your personal information.

FRAUD ALERT Card details and current PIN numbers. YOU ARE HOWEVER ADVISED TO CAHNGE YOUR PIN NUMBER IMMEDIATELY.

Besides, if anyone gains access to your account, using the Interswitch/Bank database, Interswitch/bank are liable, not you.

You are only liable if you carelessly gave out your PIN to someone else, like in this case.This means they will refund you back.

Why should a faceless email advise you to protect your ATM card by changing it online, without an official notification from your bank advising you otherwise.Banks/Interswitch care more for your money than you probably do.You saw what you went through to collect oneIf the threat was real, they would have contacted their customers individually, or offer an alert public announcement in the dailies and radios/TVs.

I just checked the name of that virus on wikipedia, it does not exist there.You can't even find it on the internet using Google, except on nairaland.It must be someone's figment of imagination.

I just checked Interswitch website too, there was no warning to that effect.

This is probably phishing. Wikipedia defines it and I quote

In computing, phishing is an attempt to criminally and fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. eBay, PayPal and online banks are common targets. Phishing is typically carried out by email or instant messaging,[1] and often directs users to enter details at a website, although phone contact has also been used.[2] Phishing is an example of social engineering techniques used to fool users. [3] Attempts to deal with the growing number of reported phishing incidents include legislation, user training, public awareness, and technical measures.

You can read more up by going to (www)wikipedia(org) and type phishing

Same kind of email is currently circualting concerning e-Gold.

This below was what was sent to me purporting to be from e-Gold

Dear valued e-gold member:

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of the e-gold
account we have issued this warning message.

It has come to our attention that your e-gold account information needs to be
updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to
reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes
out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into
any future problems with the online service.

Once you have updated your account records your e-gold account
service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your e-gold records click on the following link:
http://www./signon?LOB=CONS&screenid=Update_Ac ct

Thank You.

On forwarding it to e-Gold, I got the following response below:

Hi , ,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you know the email you
received was not sent by e-gold Ltd. It was a fraudulent attempt to
compromise e-gold accounts through a scam known as "Phishing". e-gold will
never send you an unsolicited email asking you to access your account from a
link in an email or click on a link in an email. Please review the security
alert on the e-gold site for more information. If you clicked on the link or
if you opened the attachment, there is a strong possibility you may have a
Trojan virus on your computer!

Regards,
e-gold Abuse~

Finally,please be aware, and don't fall into the hands of these scammers, who don't do anything but daily think of creative ways of defrauding people of their hard earned money.

Cheers,

EB
Re: Interswitch Update by Richystar4: 5:32pm On Nov 24, 2007
I receive this mail below from a colleque

Dear All,

I believe we all use ATM cards. Pls check you balance and change your PIN.

FRAUD ALERT

This is to inform the general public that on Tuesday 13/11/2007, the InterSwitch Network Server hosting First Bank Nig plc, UBA plc, Intercontinental Bank plc, GTB plc, EcoBank plc and all other Nigerian banks on the InterSwitch network was infected with an Mpack Multi-Pertite Malware (a computer virus used by cyber criminals to access and steal information from a database).

Approximately 1,500,000 (One million, Five hundred thousand) ATM Card numbers; PIN numbers and other ATM Card data have been confirmed stolen.

Though it is still unclear how many ATM machines have been infected with the virus, computer security experts say 80% of ATM machines on the InterSwitch network would have been infected. As at 6pm local time, we had received 517 complaints of unauthorized cash withdrawals from ATM machines mostly in Lagos and Port Harcourt.

Currently, we have computer security experts and law enforcement agents working to resolve the situation.

However, to prevent unauthorized money withdrawals from accounts, all InterSwitch ATM Card holders are STRONGLY advised to visit the InterSwitch website IMMEDIATELY to change their ATM PIN numbers Via the internet as these fraudsters can withdraw money from any of the affected accounts even without physical access to the ATM Card since they have the ATM Card details and current PIN numbers. YOU ARE HOWEVER ADVISED TO CHANGE YOUR PIN NUMBER IMMEDIATELY.

Forwarding this alert to friends and family members would also help inform them and combat this fraud
Re: Interswitch Update by oYaTo(m): 5:48pm On May 26, 2008
I just received this mail today, . . . this one take another dimension o!

Placing my cursor over the "CLICK HERE" link, and i can see it redirects to another site "brightchidex.qupis.com/atm.php

These crazy people will stop at nothing!

TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS NATIONWIDE
We want to use this medium to wish all our customers both new and old ones a very prosperous season and also to assure you that Interswitch Nigeria Limited have been and will always give your ATM card (s) the maximum security that you will expect from us.
Therefore, due to high rate of internet fraud complaints we are receiving from some of our customers like using of their ATM card details to make transaction via the internet without their notice because they have one way or the other disclose their Interswitch ATM card detail to fraudsters, It is our pleasure introducing to you our new security plan called "MAXI-SECURE", It is a security plan designed to assign our customer's ATM card Internet Personal Identification number (iPin) different from the present personal identification number (pin) they use for their cash withdrawal with their Interswitch ATM card. This pin will only be used whenever you wish to use your Interswitch ATM card for online transactions while you use your present pin for cash withdrawal from any of the ATM machine of Interswitch bank nationwide only.
The main objective of the this security plan is to secure your account whenever you by any mistake disclose your Interswitch ATM card detail to fraudsters. This means that if you by any mistake, disclose your Interswitch ATM card detail you use for cash withdrawal to fraudsters that payment will not authorize from your account via the internet unless the fraudsters have knowledge of your maxi-secure security ipin.
This will be effective starting from 29th of June 2008. To securely register your Interswitch ATM card to this security plan: CLICK HERE, which after twenty four (24) hours of your ATM card registration to this security plan, your Interswitch maxi-secure security pin will be sent to you via email.
N/B::
Please note that starting from 29th June 2008 is only registered Interswitch ATM card to this security plan can only withdraw money from any of the ATM machines of Interswitch bank nationwide or make transaction via the internet using their Interswitch ATM card (s).
::SCAM ALERT::

We have realized that there is varieties of scam email going on nation wide using the name of this security plan (MAXI-SECURE) and our company name to fraud some of our customers. Please to prevent fraud always ensure that:
1) Any email you receive from our company is been sent via our official mailing identity: (info@interswitchng.com)
2)The registration of your Interswitch ATM card (s) to this security plan is done via the link provided in our email .
Also you can always help us fight fraud by forwarding any Interswitch scam email you receive via this mailing addresssadfraudalert@interswitchng.com) for other customers awareness and eradication.

Kind Regards.

INTERSWITCH NIGERIA LIMITED
PLOT 1648C OKO-AWO CLOSE
VICTORIA ISLAND CITY
LAGOS STATE
NIGERIA.
Re: Interswitch Update by Alireta: 6:54am On May 27, 2008
The Golden Rule: Never 'update' your ATM card details through ANY link in an email.

If you really need to change your PIN, go to the issuing bank and ask for how to go about it.
Re: Interswitch Update by niyyie(m): 8:36am On May 28, 2008
I did an analysis on this phishing emails here: http://www.davidajao.com/blog/2007/11/25/beware-of-fake-interswitch-emails/

The golden rule: Do not click on any link in an email purportedly from Interswitch.
Re: Interswitch Update by dejacrue: 11:20am On May 29, 2008
it's all scam even the advice that you should change ur pin online is also fake.i contacted interswitch about it and they said it's all false.just don't reveal ur pin 2 anyone n be careful about d website u use ur pin on.if u feel ur pin has been compromised, then go a bank's atm machine n change it if possible your bank where the atm bank acc is domiciled.

GOD will save us.
Re: Interswitch Update by adeshsam(m): 11:59am On Jun 05, 2008
Those who received this message has to be very very careful. The message is a SCAM. I received the message as well, but immediately i saw it i knew it were SCAM then i deleted it with immediate effect.

Regards
Re: Interswitch Update by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 05, 2008
the mail i recieve was direct from interswitchng.com i have given all my infor.i think it nt fraud.
i have contacted the interswitch,and its true.
Re: Interswitch Update by oYaTo(m): 9:43am On Jun 10, 2008
cao alvin:

the mail i recieve was direct from interswitchng.com i have given all my infor.i think it nt fraud.
i have contacted the interswitch,and its true.

what was the content of the mail? I don't believe interswitch should be contacting people by mail. . .we are not directly customers of interswitch. . .we are bank customers, who are the interswitch customers. Any kind of information should be done through your bank and not through interswitch and especially not by email.

You have given your info? I fear for u o! Just quick go comot ur money from account or better still go change ur pin and stuff, or even ask ur bank to de-activate ur external banking facilities. . .at least for the some time.

(1) (Reply)

Luminious Inverter, How Good Are They? / Do You Need Sourcing Of Export Contract? / Carton Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.