Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,659 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India (896 Views)

Lassa-fever Kills Corper Doctor, Kelechi-aaron In Kaduna / Nigerian Girl Dies In Thailand After Buttock Surgery Fails / Baby With 2 Heads Survives Risky Surgery In Afghanistan (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by larryhomie(m): 10:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
Kelechi was only about two weeks old when his parent noticed some changes in him which included fast breathing, sleepless nights and frequent fatigue amongst other things. He had problem ingesting good and had to be fed through his nose. Hospitals they visited gave several diagnosis which included Malaria, Fever and related ailments until General Health Center at Randle, Surulere referred them to LUTH. On the 21st of October 2011, the result of the diagnosis revealed that Kelechi had a grade 3/6 Systolic Murmur. Simpler terms describes it as an unusual noise in the heart commonly known as a hole in the heart. The Doctor that oversaw his case is Dr E.N Ekure, a consultant Paediatrician with LUTH. The doctor said the baby uses one lung to carry our four different funtions: Carries food, blood, water and air into the body. That's how scary it can be.

According to LUTH, Kelechi would need to undergo a surgery in India where the facilities for Cardiac surgeries are available. The doctors said treatment has to be done on or before the 27th of December 2011 else the child's current condition would escalate to other sides of this body. First, one side of this body (the left side) would become paralysed. More recently (this year), the child's parents where told that further delay of treatments would overtime cause the sickness to spread to and possible damage the brain.

The doctor's words are surfacing gradually. He has almost lost his left arm to some sort of paralysis (kind of bone related - Pictured above) and uses some kind of rubber brace to support the hand. The parents have being to the National Orthopaedic hospital, Igbobi and a corrective surgery was advised where some kind of bone replacement therapy would be performed. Kelechi can hardly stand up and does with the support of someone if he has to. He is already developing what feels like a lump in his lower back by his waist.

Baby Kelechi now has regular crises, he passes out and could become motionless at anytime. His heart acts like it pauses sometimes and beats unreasonably faster at other times. According to the parents, they have a standby "Okada man" that they can call at anytime to take them to the hosipital and have had cases that has gone as late as 12-1am in the middle of the night. For a while now, the child has been living on drugs and injections which cost them upwards 14,000 naira a piece for a two-week long effect.

The presumption is that all these auxilliary problems would be corrected by the surgery and time is seriously running out.

In 2011, a doctor from Thisday media certified Kelechi's story and subsequently ran a call for help on Thisday newspapers (Wed, 16th November 2011 publication - Page 46). A number of good willing Nigerians responded and they were able to raise 49,000 naira.

Summary: Kelechi was 2 weeks old when he started being sick, his hand started going bad at 2 months old with visibile damage at 6-9 months old. He was diagnosed of Systolic Murmur at the age of 8 months and today he is 1 year and 3 months old and nothing has being done. What's next for the innocent child?

We have heard the most of it. There are pictures and sources for you to confirm. Kelechi was advised to be referred for treatment on 27th December 2011, this is June 2012. The catastrophe the doctors envisaged have started showing up and this is not even the worst of it. We can't afford to wait until its too late. He's just a kid and deserves the right to life just like every one of us, that tells you the inspiration of this cause. We have every intention to spread this cause far and wide and reach more people even after Kelechi is fine and we hope you'll be part of it. Lend a helping hand and let your money write your name in a place that would never be forgotten by someone even if they don't know your name.

http://www.causefundr.com/causes-kelechi.html
Re: Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by Lenny5000(m): 3:04am On Jun 13, 2012
This just breaks my heart to pieces! The average Nigerian has his or her own personal crises to deal with... obvious reason why nobody even bother responding... What is killing me slowly is with the ridiculous amount Government is looting daily cant anyone come out with 4million naira which is actually Suya change (to them) and save the life of this precious baby? Is it a Crime to be born in Nigeria? Am just seeing this today and dont know how much anybody can do at this short notice... Every member hear contributing 100naira will fix this. Are you related to this Kid? Do you have updates? Pls keep us updated. Godbless
Re: Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by justwise(m): 6:37am On Jun 13, 2012
@op.

Are you related to the family?

1 Like

Re: Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by Lenny5000(m): 10:23am On Jun 13, 2012
OP,
Please answer some of the questions asked... You should also be on hand to give updates and follow this thread to see how it progress. Thanks
Re: Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by larryhomie(m): 7:44am On Jun 15, 2012
Lenny5000: OP,
Please answer some of the questions asked... You should also be on hand to give updates and follow this thread to see how it progress. Thanks

I am not related to the family in any way. I run into the kid, verified the situation and tried to help. I put up causefundr to help Baby Kelechi and see that we get him his surgery. All we can do now is help, hope and pray that people come through. We've raised quite some money and its seriously impressive. I hope we can meet the target so he leaves the country by next week. I am already talking to the Doctors and consultants so we can get him a hospital, transfer his medical records and so on.
Re: Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by justwise(m): 2:04pm On Jun 15, 2012
larryhomie:

I am not related to the family in any way. I run into the kid, verified the situation and tried to help. I put up causefundr to help Baby Kelechi and see that we get him his surgery. All we can do now is help, hope and pray that people come through. We've raised quite some money and its seriously impressive. I hope we can meet the target so he leaves the country by next week. I am already talking to the Doctors and consultants so we can get him a hospital, transfer his medical records and so on.

Why not allow people to donate to the hospital directly so that they will manage the fund on behalf of the family rather than paying into private bank account of an individual?
Re: Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by larryhomie(m): 3:19pm On Jun 16, 2012
justwise:

Why not allow people to donate to the hospital directly so that they will manage the fund on behalf of the family rather than paying into private bank account of an individual?

The account is that of the parents and i monitor it. What would you have me do? Use my personal account or give the money to LUTH? My dear people die there everyday and them, this Kid is just another case.

He is supposed to get surgery in India so it wont make sense to give money to a hospital. If the surgery was to be done here, you idea might sail through. Thanks for asking though.

We've raised about 1.1million and he should be leaving the country next week. Let's make up the rest.

www.causefundr.com
Re: Baby Kelechi Needs Surgery In India by Lenny5000(m): 1:33am On Jul 06, 2012
larryhomie: The account is that of the parents and i monitor it. What would you have me do? Use my personal account or give the money to LUTH? My dear people die there everyday and them, this Kid is just another case.
He is supposed to get surgery in India so it wont make sense to give money to a hospital. If the surgery was to be done here, you idea might sail through. Thanks for asking though.We've raised about 1.1million and he should be leaving the country next week. Let's make up the rest.www.causefundr.com

Larryhomie,

what happened to the site? It's suspended! Pls update us

Bless

(1) (Reply)

Here Is How To Prevent Your Breasts From Sagging / PLENTY Wonders:child Born With A Tail!!!!(see Pictures) / Fallouts From Sacking Student Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.