Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,033 members, 7,838,582 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others (7744 Views)

Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States / Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC / NCC Plans GSM 'Number Portability' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by myfriend1(m): 6:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
ncc is broke, the $280m collected from eac h of these service provider has finished and they need money that is it.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Revealedtv(m): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2012
naylove:
i thought your agitations were for <b>ginuwine <\b> reasons."BB SIGNALS....
#GBAGAUN!!!!!!!! grin it is spelt genuine

1 Like

Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by tessyade: 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2012
Ncc should think of better things to do. How on earth did they arrive at that amount? This is just a means of getting money to embezzle. Mtchew.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 13, 2012
I still Can't comprehend why the Telecoms coy were fined such heavily & the fine were to be paid to NCC, is it not we the subscribers that were rendered shitty services? What does NCC intend doing with the sum, We the end users should be givens bonuses (Airtime) as compensation, abi Na NCC they recharge my phone ni
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by rman: 6:24pm On Jun 13, 2012
NCC set international network parameters for the telecoms operators in Nigeria. This they feel will help the customers significantly because international quality of service ( QoS )if achieved simply means the network is good.

Unfortunately, the operating environment for telecoms bussiness in Nigeria in one of the most difficult you can get in the whole world. Some of the issues faced daily be these operators include:

- Power issues. Running of all base stations and switches on generator
- Multiple taxation
- Community issues. Every street/ town or village where these base stations are make unrealistic demands on these operators
- Government agaencies eg NESREA
- Vandals. People will be amazed at the number of sites vandalized across the country daily. Generators, diesel and fibre cuts almost on a daily basis.
- Multiple taxations. LGA, State and Fedral government collect tax directly from them.

These are just a few examples.

These operators have asked NCC to take some of these situations into consideration before these standards were set, but it fell on deaf ears.
Imagine NESREA shutting down a base station and NCC still penalising the operator for poor QOS in the same area. Double punishment.

If they continue to pay fine, how will they be able to roll out and upgrade their network?

Yes, standard QOS should be the target but fining these operators only compounds the problem because the QOS will continue to degenerate if they take this route.

Rewarding customers on their network may be a better idea.

If the FG can fix power and make telecoms base stations National infrastructure that comes with serious punishment if vandalzed, will seriously help boost this better QOS NCC is looking for.

1 Like

Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Widow(m): 6:32pm On Jun 13, 2012
Hmmmmmmn, Ok, Ok, when they do the shutdown. I will use morse codes to connect with my neighbor at the end of the street, who will further relay it to the next street, maybe we can build our own virtual network smiley
Does anybody here understand smoke signals?

And someone should wake up S.O.N and the likes to shut down Nepa for delivering poor services. grin
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 13, 2012
Nairalander lets reason naaa...if u say d 1.7billion shud be shared as credit to d 99million subscribers,den each subcriber will get only 17naira credit.....r u happy
U better stop ctiticising NCC, dey wud collect d fine and return it to govt. Purse...for our use...and as a lesson to d operators....chi ke na
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by manny4life(m): 7:28pm On Jun 13, 2012
soe: Nairalander lets reason naaa...if u say d 1.7billion shud be shared as credit to d 99million subscribers,den each subcriber will get only 17naira credit.....r u happy
U better stop ctiticising NCC, dey wud collect d fine and return it to govt. Purse...for our use...and as a lesson to d operators....chi ke na

Hear yourself out, for your use? I can see how well the govt has been puting your tax dollars naira to good use undecided undecided undecided

BTW, how did you come up with 99million subscribers? Half a token is better than none considering that Nigerians are the ones suffering and our govt is known for FRAUD. So I guess, using your FALSE 99million subscriber stats, N17 goes well for the folks for whom harm has been brought upon.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Tattooboy: 7:34pm On Jun 13, 2012
@op. I can't wait
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by godimento: 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2012
It's obvious NCC doesn't know what to do. Why is it that subscribers loss money due to poor network. Instead of NCC to ask network providers to credit every subscribers a certain amount. They want to collect find for their own interest. Rubbish. They should not even try it.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by zangiff(m): 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2012
Ncc my foot
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Clemzy16(m): 8:36pm On Jun 13, 2012
Imagine. Closure of telecommunication network because of poor services. Another way of looting money from them.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by yeswecan(m): 8:41pm On Jun 13, 2012
Let me give a practical bend to this report :

There is no such thing as MTN or Glo - GSM companies are brand names. Brand names or companies don't pay tax. You cannot impose a fine MTN because it (MTN) doesn't exist. Only people pay tax or fines. When you speak of a fine on GSM companies what you are actually saying is a fine on the share holders, on the staff , or, on the [b]subscribers[/b]. These are the three strands that make up any company on earth.

It takes no Phd, then, to deduce that a fine on any company is on the consumers - directly. And so is taxes. That is the stupidity of NCC's claim - They supposedly penalized the GSM companies for poor quality of service rendered to subscribers and impose a penalty on the subscribers.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by maasoap(m): 9:56pm On Jun 13, 2012
ajbabs: @miteolu,
This is not the first time NCC will punish those extortioners(mtn, glo, airtel ,etc)and as in the past money goes to the networks' customers, so also will it be this time around.
You didn't the stand of NNC at all. They said it is a fine which will directly go to the govt purse but not compensation to subscribers. They have made this clarification on many occasion.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by amosy007: 10:08pm On Jun 13, 2012
NCC = National comedians commission..
Buncha commedians *yawnz*
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by tribalism(m): 10:12pm On Jun 13, 2012
NCC, thats a wrong step in the right direction. be wise standard service in a non-standard environment. to whom much is given much is expected and vice versa.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by canuck(m): 1:30am On Jun 14, 2012
T.Moni:

In those countries you dont run over 15000 20KVA diesel generators 24hrs per day and consumes over 5000 litres of diesel per month to keep up the network.
In those countries you dont battle area boys every time you need to enter your base station to maintain or refuel.
In those countries you dont battle fibre vandals causing service failures
In thise countries you dont pay multiple taxations to all the organs of government.
In thos countries you dont communities making multiple demands on your base stations.

the networks are spending billions of dollar to expand and maintain the network. the investors are the most impacted in terms of revenue loss.

Yeah, yeah! Nigerians already pay more than 10 times the call rates of Kenyans, and there is no regular power in Kenya, Al-Shabab terrorists are blowing up Nairobi, etc.

Check-out the Telcos' profit margins in Nigeria versus other countries and you will see that Telcos are milking Nigerians dry!

Telcos should pay-up and step-up their services to the people jor.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by TMoni1(m): 3:55am On Jun 14, 2012
canuck:

Yeah, yeah! Nigerians already pay more than 10 times the call rates of Kenyans, and there is no regular power in Kenya, Al-Shabab terrorists are blowing up Nairobi, etc.

Check-out the Telcos' profit margins in Nigeria versus other countries and you will see that Telcos are milking Nigerians dry!

Telcos should pay-up and step-up their services to the people jor.

I am sure all of them are so wicked so much so that they have conived again the nigerian people after investing billions of dollar.
Brother! The question is not about the profit its about the multiplicity of technical issues that are unending and this telco spend huge sums of money to tackle all by themselve without govt help, even some of them created by the govt that wants to fine them.

The same reason malnufacturing companies are packing and leaving the country.

Nigerian enviroment is almost an impossible enviroment
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by tiwola: 4:43am On Jun 14, 2012
I believe they should be shut down. And here is why. First things first, I'm an MTN subscriber who has had his credit vanish periodically not less than 10 times since the last major 'vanishing series' that raised such hue and cry the last time.
Can't toss the line because it's the soul of my business. Can't complain because 180 doesn't work- it's purely a radio station now.
There's no mass action or subscriber protest like the last time, so the network continues to rob me of my credit with impunity.
Is it feasible that they return all monies subscribers lose on a day to day basis? No. They'd have to give away all the cash they make per day.
Can they pay these fines? Yes cos its simply a slap on the wrist for them.
Should they be fined at all? Yes. Their terrible services demand that they pay for duping Nigerians.
So why won't they pay? Simple. Because this is the first time they're being asked to do such. If they pay this, then a precedent would have been set and since their services won't improve anytime soon, they'll have to pay more fines soon enough.

So please, much as I despise this government, I'm with them on this. These conmen have to pay someone, even if its not me.

My only wish is that the money should be directed by GEJ into his electricity projects to help the telcos too. The use of generators at their base stations is one of the reasons we pay such high tarriffs afterall.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by yeswecan(m): 8:34am On Jun 14, 2012
tiwola: I believe they should be shut down. And here is why. First things first, I'm an MTN subscriber who has had his credit vanish periodically not less than 10 times since the last major 'vanishing series' that raised such hue and cry the last time.
Can't toss the line because it's the soul of my business. Can't complain because 180 doesn't work- it's purely a radio station now.
There's no mass action or subscriber protest like the last time, so the network continues to rob me of my credit with impunity.
Is it feasible that they return all monies subscribers lose on a day to day basis? No. They'd have to give away all the cash they make per day.
Can they pay these fines? Yes cos its simply a slap on the wrist for them.
Should they be fined at all? Yes. Their terrible services demand that they pay for duping Nigerians.
So why won't they pay? Simple. Because this is the first time they're being asked to do such. If they pay this, then a precedent would have been set and since their services won't improve anytime soon, they'll have to pay more fines soon enough.

So please, much as I despise this government, I'm with them on this. These conmen have to pay someone, even if its not me.

My only wish is that the money should be directed by GEJ into his electricity projects to help the telcos too. The use of generators at their base stations is one of the reasons we pay such high tarriffs afterall.

You are the definition of an economic illiterate. The fine you are pushing on about is on you - the subscribers, GSM companies don't pay tax or fines. The taxes and fines are paid by the subscribers. Its a roundabout cost.The only way you can fine them is through reduction of tariff - even at that you'd pay for it on a later day. The notion that MTN will pay a fine from its shareholders pulse or workers salaries is laughable. It is the subscribers that would end up paying these fines.

You see, MTN (and by extension all companies) are made up of three group of people. The share holders, workers and customers. A tax or fine on them is a tax or fine on one of the group. To test this theory you only have to look at the increase in tariff when there is an increase in tax . . .
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by twinstaiye(m): 9:16am On Jun 14, 2012
NCC is trying to save the consumers, and hear what lots of ignorant among them are saying here. It is like CBN asking a bank to pay a fine, and such bank is refusing to pay, NCC is the regulator of telecom companies in Nigeria, the quality of service is getting worse each day, and if it continues, you same consumers will say NCC is not doing anything. NCC had asked some of the telcom companies to pay fines in the past, which they do without much stress, but because they know this one might re-occur because it has to do with quality of service, they are dragging feet. For some of you that thinks the money can come back to the consumers, if shared around, each consumer cant get more than 10 naira, besides, it isnt because of the money, but to correct and instill discipline on quality of service. In the midst of all the problems being encountered by this telcos, they still make huge profit at the end of each financial year. Take for instance, MTN, with its 40 million subscribers, if they deduct 100 naira from consumers account, in a twinkle of an eye, they already earn 4 billion naira. Now imagine the number of consumers that had to pay more than 100 naira daily on poor quality of service, a service that wasnt delivered. NCC is doing its job, and asking for fine is part of it s job as stipulated by law. You same people will blame the government if it stand and watch the telcos milking us dry without commensurate services.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by jimharry21(m): 10:00am On Jun 14, 2012
mtn is rubbish for me personally
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Bawss1(m): 10:48am On Jun 14, 2012
yeswecan: Let me give a practical bend to this report :

There is no such thing as MTN or Glo - GSM companies are brand names. Brand names or companies don't pay tax. You cannot impose a fine MTN because it (MTN) doesn't exist. Only people pay tax or fines. When you speak of a fine on GSM companies what you are actually saying is a fine on the share holders, on the staff , or, on the [b]subscribers[/b]. These are the three strands that make up any company on earth.

It takes no Phd, then, to deduce that a fine on any company is on the consumers - directly. And so is taxes. That is the stupidity of NCC's claim - They supposedly penalized the GSM companies for poor quality of service rendered to subscribers and impose a penalty on the subscribers.

Textbook case of flawed logic.

No such thing as MTN or Glo?

Companies don't pay tax?

You cannot impose a fine on MTN because it does not exists?

A fine on a company is a fine on the consumers directly?
Directly?!
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by yeswecan(m): 1:05pm On Jun 14, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^

Perhaps I went extreme to make my point.

Companies don't pay tax? Yes. If you take out the people involved there is no company left- that's the economics of it. Buildings and equipments don't pay tax only people do. When you impose a tax on company it is a roundabout (I used the word direct to accent my point) tax on the people involved in the company. It's either it comes from the shareholders pay, workers salary or a slight increase in what the prices of goods/services would otherwise be - hence consumers. Its just like VAT. Maybe you can't see that because you only understand specious theories.

You can then see why "You cannot impose a fine on MTN because it does not exist". If you place a direct payment fine on GSM companies it would be an indirect-one on the subscribers - just like VAT. The distinction you have to draw is between who write the cheque and who fundamentally bears the cost.

I will take the liberty of posting a lecture on this shortly.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by yeswecan(m): 1:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by funshybam(m): 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2012
T.Moni:

In those countries you dont run over 15000 20KVA diesel generators 24hrs per day and consumes over 5000 litres of diesel per month to keep up the network.
In those countries you dont battle area boys every time you need to enter your base station to maintain or refuel.
In those countries you dont battle fibre vandals causing service failures
In thise countries you dont pay multiple taxations to all the organs of government.
In thos countries you dont communities making multiple demands on your base stations.

the networks are spending billions of dollar to expand and maintain the network. the investors are the most impacted in terms of revenue loss.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 14, 2012
ever since dis present NCC Chairman (jumal)took over office, to be frank noting is working out for us again in the telecommunication sector. I miss the time of engineer Ernest Ndukwe. He will be fighting for the telcos issues multiple taxations,vandals etc. Dis particular jumal just want to pour fuel to a burning house. Dis what happens when amateurs takes over positions. Please if its possible Ernest Ndukwe should please come back.
Re: N1.7bn Fine: NCC Plans To Shut MTN, Glo, Others by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 14, 2012
mutiply: Dese companies shud just bribe dem bt firstly, report d mata to sss cause its obvious dat ncc is broke,den invite nollywood camera men to film d exchange,its d reignin tin in town nw and it pays,ask otedola if u tink am lyin.
^^now dats really a gud idea grin
mutiply: Dese companies shud just bribe dem bt firstly, report d mata to sss cause its obvious dat ncc is broke,den invite nollywood camera men to film d exchange,its d reignin tin in town nw and it pays,ask otedola if u tink am lyin.
^^now dats really a gud idea

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Help Me Solve This Memory Problem With My Gionee M3. / What Are Your Popular Smartphone Myths / How To Use Esims In Nigeria (MTN, 9mobile, GLO And Airtel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.