Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,429 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? (4981 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Effects Of Divorce On A Woman..Men Take Note / Why This Rise In Marriage Failure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Damoche10: 1:46pm On Nov 26, 2007
Nairalanders,

I seek you candid and precise opinion why the number to divorce cases in our
country is on the rise. Go to our customary courts today and be amazed by the
number of married people dragging themselves to court to have their marrriage
dissolved. Can we all discuss about this so as to learn from the reason why this
is happening ? Are we now copying the whites(Oyinbo)?,
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Seun(m): 1:53pm On Nov 26, 2007
You don't know for sure that it's on the rise. You're just assuming. If it's on the rise, it's because of enlightenment.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Allyrose: 2:09pm On Nov 26, 2007
It is true that divorce is on the rise but certainly not because of enlightenment.
Unfortunately the world has become so fast paced that all most people want now is money or how to make money. so love and the real virtues of marriage are now second place. But if you really think about it, marriage isn't so easy and most of us especially this generation aren't that patient. So in case you r thinking of marrying anytime soon do it for love and i asssure u , u wont b running to any court. cheers! and goodluck smiley

1 Like

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by eddycapuro: 2:11pm On Nov 26, 2007
too much foreign movies grin
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Damoche10: 2:29pm On Nov 26, 2007
Seun,
It is like u are not getting the drill. It is a forum where we need
to talk about things happening around us so as to learn from
it and find a means to address them.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Damoche10: 2:48pm On Nov 26, 2007
Seun,
It is like u are not getting the drill. It is a forum where we need
to talk about things happening around us so as to learn from
it and find a means to address and talk about them for us to learn,
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 10:20am On Nov 27, 2007
Because women are getting smarter. Enough to realize that you can always survive without taking the abuses of a destructive marriage. Most women work too and have tasted independence and how pleasurable it is to "sleep" in your own bed without some blaring trumpeter serenading your ear drums every night.

No more "I am a full time house wife" crap! kiss

Yipppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Gamine(f): 10:33am On Nov 27, 2007
Divorce is on the rise

cos the more we imbibe western culture

they pass on every rubbish to us.

If u dont like someone why shld u marry the person

if u feel u can take care of urself and be all alone

why marry

is it by force!!

pls pple ooh, be reasonable!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by blueband(m): 11:22am On Nov 27, 2007
The reason why divorce is on the rise in Nigeria is multi-factoral.In my opinion

1.People marry for the wrong reasons.I think only love and true friendship should matter.

2.In the past instead of divorcing a woman,a man could easily just marry another wife and another and another.My grand father had 4 wives

3.With many people becoming exposed to western ideas and cultures we tend to think we can import these values into our own marriages as well.

4.Maybe monogamy is still alien to us.Religion(especially christianity) introduced monogamy into the Nigerian culture.You will see that divorce tends to be more amongst christians.The reasons are not far fetched.You can't marry another wife so why remain stuck in an unhappy marriage?

I am sure there are more reasons why people divorce .

1 Like

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by janami(f): 11:38am On Nov 27, 2007
cos nigerians seem to be rushing into marriage these days. just go out on a saturday and u will be amazed at how many "Abput to wed" and "just wed" cars u will see. they rush in, then rush out
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Frankies(m): 4:30pm On Nov 27, 2007
almondjoy:

Because women are getting smarter.  Enough to realize that you can always survive without taking the abuses of a destructive marriage.  Most women work too and have tasted independence and how pleasurable it is to "sleep" in your own bed without some blaring trumpeter serenading your ear drums every night. 

No more "I am a full time house wife" crap! kiss

Yipppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

We are earnestly waiting for you to announce your own divorce on this site.Well, no matter what happens I can't wish you for the worst.Because you still have time to remedy the situation in your marriage.

But a fuckwit like you does not even know the basics for a good and enjoyable marriage.

Why cant you an ill-mannered slowpoke accept your already humuliated being and get a life?

Idiot
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by dafman(m): 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2007
Gamine:

Divorce is on the rise

because the more we imbibe western culture

If u don't like someone why shld u marry the person

if u feel u can take care of yourself and be all alone

why marry

is it by force!!

please people ooh, be reasonable!
That's a smart one.
When people talk about independence and all that it pisses me off, for christs sake, stay single if you don't want any stress. The last time I checked there is no law against being single anywhere in the world.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 9:11pm On Nov 27, 2007
Frankies:

We are earnestly waiting for you to announce your own divorce on this site.Well, no matter what happens I can't wish you for the worst.Because you still have time to remedy the situation in your marriage.

But a fuckwit like you does not even know the basics for a good and enjoyable marriage.

Why can't you an ill-mannered slowpoke accept your already humuliated being and get a life?

Idiot

You still dey ves? cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Still waiting for my "humiliation" package ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!  I have been divorced now for over 10 years and I am looking for a new "spouse".  Would you like to marry me Frankies? grin I am officially proposing to you via Nairaland--please do not turn me down as that would be the "ultimate" humiliation to my fragile ego.

Even you cannot spoil my great holiday season.  You have not written anything worth my attention in the past few days so I will keep looking out for "the new humiliating you"!  Till then--you are invisible.  Try and make some interesting contributions while you are about Nairaland.

Try programming, computers or technology sections of nairaland like I suggested.  As you know my specialty area is "Sexuality and Romance" as a real woman.  So go to your area of specialization and show us what you gat and let us see what a real man upstairs you are since you have failed woefully downstairs.  you are such a bad "fu-ck"! embarassed

Please meet me under the "mistletoe" for a kiss if you know what that means!!!!!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 9:24pm On Nov 27, 2007
Gamine:

Divorce is on the rise

because the[b] more we imbibe western culture[/b]

If u don't like someone why shld u marry the person

if u feel u can take care of yourself and be all alone

why marry

is it by force!!

please people ooh, be reasonable!

Why must the western world be blamed if we are making our own mistakes? Did they force us to imbibe their culture?

Just wondering.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 10:02pm On Nov 27, 2007
These so called Nigerians are copying the white people cultures

Sometimes I wonder if parents every think about the children’s future or the repercussion of getting divorce

Why say "I do", if you know damn well you can't stay in that marriage, I thought people get marry for better or worse, but no oh, these so called Nigerians women of nowadays are on another mission, all they want is money, greedy people

Some people excuses are his cheating or abusive, but you knew damn well that was who he was when he asked you to marry him in the first place, but some woman have these mentality a man will change after getting married, to be a new leaf

Am 100% against people getting divorce

1 Like

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 10:10pm On Nov 27, 2007
MoOdYLaDy:

These so called Nigerians are copying the white people cultures

Sometimes I wonder if parents every think about the children’s future or the repercussion of getting divorce

Why say "I do", if you know damn well you can't stay in that marriage, I thought people get marry for better or worse, but no oh, these so called Nigerians women of nowadays are on another mission, all they want is money, greedy people

Some people excuses are his cheating or abusive, but you knew damn well that was who he was when he asked you to marry him in the first place, but some woman have these mentality a man will change after getting married, to be a new leaf

Am 100% against people getting divorce

Hello Moody! cheesy

Really?  I wonder why "white" people never bothered to copy "polygamy" in black peoples' cultures or from the "real Nigerians as opposed to the so-called Nigerians". tongue

Hmmmmmmmmm!  Just wondering!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 12:02am On Nov 28, 2007
almondjoy:

Hello Moody! cheesy

Really? I wonder why "white" people never bothered to copy "polygamy" in black peoples' cultures or from the "real Nigerians as opposed to the so-called Nigerians". tongue

Hmmmmmmmmm! Just wondering!
Heyyyyyyyy Alomondjoy

White people loves to be stressful, and don't want to be bothered with unnecessary things, they don't have the strength and patience like the "Real Nigerians" do. That is why whenever anything goes wrong in their marriage, they find a shortcut out of it by heading to the divorce court,see that is why they won't settle or agree to a polygamy

And back in the days a real woman will stay and try to work out things with her husband, no chicken her way out the marriage.

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 12:45am On Nov 28, 2007
MoOdYLaDy:

Heyyyyyyyy Alomondjoy

White people loves to be stressful,

and don't want to be bothered with unnecessary things, they don't have the strength and patience like the "Real Nigerians" do. That is why whenever anything goes wrong in their marriage, they

find a shortcut out of it by heading to the divorce court,[/b]see that is why they won't settle or agree to a polygamy

[b]And back in the days a real woman will stay and try to work out things with her husband,

no chicken her way out the marriage.

My dear sister--I will not say anything to you at all.  So simple? We will discuss this in about 10 years from now ok? Let me give you time to catch up. You are still in "Disneyworld"! grin

Hmmmmmmmmm! lipsrsealed  No need at all, at all!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by MoOdYLaDy(f): 2:01am On Nov 28, 2007
Don't worry 10yrs from now your hears will be filled with good news from me cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy God is good, all the time, nothing is impossible when it comes to God tongue, with his mercy and guidance, my love and I will be fine

1 Like

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by spoilt(f): 2:06am On Nov 28, 2007
people have learnt that its better to be alone than unhappy.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Frankies(m): 9:02am On Nov 28, 2007
almondjoy:

Still waiting for my "humiliation" package ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! I have been divorced now for over 10 years and I am looking for a new "spouse". Would you like to marry me Frankies? grin I am officially proposing to you via Nairaland--please do not turn me down as that would be the "ultimate" humiliation to my fragile ego.

Even you cannot spoil my great holiday season. You have not written anything worth my attention in the past few days so I will keep looking out for "the new humiliating you"! Till then--you are invisible. Try and make some interesting contributions while you are about Nairaland.

Try programming, computers or technology sections of nairaland like I suggested. As you know my specialty area is "Sexuality and Romance" as a real woman. So go to your area of specialization and show us what you gat and let us see what a real man upstairs you are since you have failed woefully downstairs. you are such a bad "fu-ck"! embarassed

Please meet me under the "mistletoe" for a kiss if you know what that means!!!!!

*spits after reading the last line of almondjoy post* My december resolution is to avoid any xmas tree around because of the nasty post.

@ almondjoy

Keep waiting till winter is over.You can't even get a hand wave from me let alone that.You will till eternity.MY wife read this.

almondjoy:

Still waiting for my "humiliation" package ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! I have been divorced now for over 10 years and I am looking for a new "spouse". Would you like to marry me Frankies? grin I am officially proposing to you via Nairaland--please do not turn me down as that would be the "ultimate" humiliation to my fragile ego.

Now I know why you want all to have a bad marriage just like you. You have said it all. My annoyance with you fool started after reading your post on '' should I know my e-mail password''

I still advise to leave the brothel and find a decent place to stay.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Frankies(m): 9:06am On Nov 28, 2007
almondjoy:

My dear sister--I will not say anything to you at all. So simple? We will discuss this in about 10 years from now ok? Let me give you time to catch up. You are still in "Disneyworld"! grin

Hmmmmmmmmm! lipsrsealed No need at all, at all!

There she goes again, wishing another fellow bad marriage.10years when she will divorce like you? or get fed up in her marriage?

Get a life , old woman.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by uchetobi(f): 11:50am On Nov 28, 2007
Because people seem to rush into marriages dese days due to pregnancy or pressure
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by mazaje(m): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2007
Frankies:

There she goes again, wishing another fellow bad marriage.10years when she will divorce like you? or get fed up in her marriage?

Get a life , old woman.

na wah ohhh why all the beef?
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by dot2002(m): 1:22pm On Nov 28, 2007
It good news because it break down the family as a unit, it makes things easier for us to improve the stock
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by herdey2tu(f): 1:47pm On Nov 28, 2007
@Frankies and Admondjoy
i love the chitchat between you two!!!Gives the forum some spice and flavour!!!!! grin

Anyways, i have a couple of reasons why the divorce and seperation rate are at an increase:

1. Both party are not as patient as our parent generation were.
2. Marriage for the wrong reasons.
3. Lack of respect and devotion.
4.Most marrying couples dont consider their marrital vows as a convenant spoken before God and man, and just say the words for saying sake; some married couples even remix the vows and skip the part of , for worse, in sickness and till death do us part, !
5.Couples do not have time for themselves, their relationship or time to build on their love.they feel exchanging the vows is the zenith of life.
6.Refusal to learn new things in the institution of marriage.

But everything as to do with EGO, PRIDE , ARROGANCE, STUPIDITY and LACK OF FAITH.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 3:04pm On Nov 28, 2007
herdey2tu:

@Frankies and Admondjoy
i love the chitchat between you two!!!Gives the forum some spice and flavour!!!!! grin

Anyways, i have a couple of reasons why the divorce and seperation rate are at an increase:

1. Both party are not as patient as our parent generation were.
2. Marriage for the wrong reasons.
3. Lack of respect and devotion.
4.Most marrying couples don't consider their marrital vows as a convenant spoken before God and man, and just say the words for saying sake; some married couples even remix the vows and skip the part of , for worse, in sickness and till death do us part, !
5.Couples do not have time for themselves, their relationship or time to build on their love.they feel exchanging the vows is the zenith of life.
6.Refusal to learn new things in the institution of marriage.

But everything as to do with EGO, PRIDE , ARROGANCE, STUPIDITY and LACK OF FAITH.

Look forward to more! The best marriage on Nairaland---Frankies and Amondjoy!  The perfect match made in Nairaland heaven.  We will never disappoint you.  Stay tuned! cheesy

Frankies:

*spits after reading the last line of almondjoy post* My december resolution is to avoid any xmas tree around because of the nasty post.

@ almondjoy

Keep waiting till winter is over.You can't even get a hand wave from me let alone that.You will till eternity.MY wife read this.

Now I know why you want all to have a bad marriage just like you. You have said it all. My annoyance with you fool started after reading your post on '' should I know my e-mail password''
I still advise to leave the brothel and find a decent place to stay.

Please keep typing your rubbish so we can keep entertaining Narialand! As terrible as the marriage is, it has not hit "Divorce Courts" yet! Who cares where the wahala started or ended.  Just keep it going.  As you can see people are loving it!  I love it too! Dan-dau-du! cheesy  Your annoyance can shoot up your leaking AIDS-infected rectum like a meteor and you can explode in front of your village square in Gboko for all I care!  Who gives a damn about what you feel? undecided  You piece of smelly ghetto thrash!

You are very stupid!  Now I have to wait till after the winter for my "humiliation package"?  Like you have winter in your Gboko farm over there!  Idiot!  I see you can now use "quotation functions" almost perfectly now on Nairaland.  Well how about that--for I am impressed.  DUNCE!

BTW, how is your ever mentruating she goat of a wife with the "Biblical issue of blood"!   The one you are using for Chrismas ritual in Nigeria over there?cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  Has she learned to take a bath yet? grin Don't let me catch your filthy arses in ma neighbourhood.  You will be heading straight for the dog pound via animal control transports services!  You and your she-goat of a wife! Filthy Pigs!  Homeless piece of trailer park thrash like all-o-y'all--in your family!

OGUN A GBE RAAA! kiss
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by ifyalways(f): 3:17pm On Nov 28, 2007
because peole marry for the wrong reason.
because naija babes are becoming enlightened .
because people marry the wrong people for wrong reasons.
because divorce is an option when things get irredeemable.
because its better to be alive and divorced than married in your coffin.

almond and frankies grin grin grin grin grin keep the fire burning jare cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by almondjoy(f): 3:32pm On Nov 28, 2007
ifyalways:

because peole marry for the wrong reason.
because naija babes are becoming enlightened .
because people marry the wrong people for wrong reasons.
because divorce is an option when things get irredeemable.
because its better to be alive and divorced than married in your coffin.

almond and frankies grin ;[/b]D grin grin grin keep the fire burning jare cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I say we will not disappoint you!  The best is yet to come!  Stay tuned.  [b]Who no get shame no fit disgrace imself for public!
  If mad dog bite you make you bite am back so una fit exchange rabies! kiss

Your serve Frankies! kiss I am listening! I have done my duties on Nairaland and since no new topics to distract my attention from you--You have my undivided attention.  I am on to you and you only! Son of a fu-cking toothless bitch! kiss

I do not even know what the masturbating septuagenerian is doing in this topic.  This generational vagabond of a Frankies never had parents that got married---having grown up in several orphanages-not talk of divorce.  Only to end up with a she-goat of similar breed--molested at the orphanage they met in.  If you look futher a think you may be fu-cking your sis----Another ritual you are constantly engaging in. Your destitute illiterate Arrow!
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by maakano(m): 4:27pm On Nov 28, 2007
There are some reasons that can be adjudged for divorce increase in Nigeria

1. Women libration campaign is encouraging separation.
2. Religion also is contributing to it "one man one wife" so instead of marrying another wife as a remedy men consider divorce as the only solution.
3. There are many ladies around so it is easy for men to get one as wife without much stress unlike in the past that they have to labour for years b4
getting one.
4. Lack of fear of God, most people don't fear God while taking decisions especially women after eating the man's money they want to quit
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by herdey2tu(f): 5:24pm On Nov 28, 2007
ALL Nairalanders on this Forum, please lets raise our glasses, in a toast to the newest Bride and Groom; Admondjoy and Frankies, Long life the fires that sparks up the love between them.

To the Bride and Groom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 grin grin grin
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Frankies(m): 9:57am On Nov 29, 2007
herdey2tu:

ALL Nairalanders on this Forum, please lets raise our glasses, in a toast to the newest Bride and Groom; Admondjoy and Frankies, Long life the fires that sparks up the love between them.

To the Bride and Groom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 grin grin grin

This is not funny anyway. These days I seem to be annoyed with that fool that I called a friend ''almondjoy'' because of the way she talks senselessly. For me to teased about marrying her is like a disaster to me.

*sighs*

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Happens When A Woman Wants More Sex Than Her Husband? Or Vice Versa! / My Wife Want To Kill Me With S*x / Best Nylon Branding For Your Bread, Rice Flour, Beans Flour, Garri, Shopping Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.