Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,488 members, 7,954,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:41 AM

Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? (5011 Views)

6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) / Indigenous Hausa Tubali Architecture / What Was Wrong With Our Indigenous Gods? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 2:42am On Jun 18, 2012
I've found msyelf listening to many songs and then wondering what they meant either because I don't understand the dialect being used or the idioms/figures used within the speech. So in order to help myself and everyone else, I decided to make a thread where we can post songs/music (in a Nigerian language) and ask for interpretations.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:43am On Jun 18, 2012
Okay, "Owu sa gi" song. What does that expression mean and where does it come from?
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by Afam4eva(m): 2:50am On Jun 18, 2012
ChinenyeN: Okay, "Owu sa gi" song. What does that expression mean and where does it come from?
I was also hearing that phrase for the first time. I think it means "If poverty catch you".
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 2:50am On Jun 18, 2012
ChinenyeN: Okay, "Owu sa gi" song. What does that expression mean and where does it come from?

Hmmm...
Let me listen to the song and get back to you.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 2:54am On Jun 18, 2012
I just listened to it and I think it's along the lines of what Afam said since the guy said "O wu sa gi, i ga amara ife".
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 2:58am On Jun 18, 2012
I Here's one that I need help comprehending. If you could skip to 3:35 of this album and listen to "Feriserima". Amazingly, I understand none of the words in it. I think it's because they aren't signing clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikzPf8gI6qg
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:59am On Jun 18, 2012
I thought I was the only one who was unfamiliar with that expression. Any idea where it comes from though?
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by Afam4eva(m): 3:01am On Jun 18, 2012
ChinenyeN: I thought I was the only one who was unfamiliar with that expression. Any idea where it comes from though?
I want to believe it originates from Ika, where the artist(WIZBOY) hails from.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03am On Jun 18, 2012
afam4eva: I want to believe it originates from Ika, where the artist(WIZBOY) hails from.
Oh. I see. Thank you.

odumchi: I think it's because they aren't signing clearly.
haha I know exactly what you mean. As for "feriserima", I have no idea.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 3:14am On Jun 18, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Oh. I see. Thank you.

Lol grin, thanks.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by AndreUweh(m): 7:05am On Jun 18, 2012
Owu sa gi------When you are too broke. It is a slang in used mostly in the south east towns. Origin is Abiriba.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by AndreUweh(m): 7:13am On Jun 18, 2012
odumchi: I Here's one that I need help comprehending. If you could skip to 3:35 of this album and listen to "Feriserima". Amazingly, I understand none of the words in it. I think it's because they aren't signing clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikzPf8gI6qg
This arist is very familiar with Ghana and Ghanian artists. Even one of his songs-Eddie Quasah was about a Ghanian.Probably, that song is from one of the Akan groups in Ghana. Peacocks speaks many dialects and I can remember he sang in Ikwerre dialect in one of his songs.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by ifyalways(f): 5:15pm On Jun 18, 2012
Owu isa mmadu is a very popular slang, well in my hood, I'm surprised to know that its "strange" to some of us.
I don't know about its origin but its a very very common slang in onitsha axis.
Owu na apam or owu na asam =im broke.
In the context which its used now ie the song, the singer is trying to say that "one gets financially wiser after courting poverty or difficult days"
Lol

2 Likes

Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 1:17am On Jun 19, 2012
Andre Uweh:
This arist is very familiar with Ghana and Ghanian artists. Even one of his songs-Eddie Quasah was about a Ghanian.Probably, that song is from one of the Akan groups in Ghana. Peacocks speaks many dialects and I can remember he sang in Ikwerre dialect in one of his songs.

ooh. Is that so...

No wonder. I was beginning to wonder why I didn't understand anything. Thanks a lot, Andre.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by Obiagu1(m): 3:08am On Jun 19, 2012
Kai, Igbo language don leave some people behind oo! cool
Owu is a very common word in Igboland. It's either "owu" or "owu ite" (poverty).

Owu sa gi ... = If you suffer poverty ...
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:43am On Jun 19, 2012
Obiagu1: Kai, Igbo language don leave some people behind oo! cool
Owu is a very common word in Igboland. It's either "owu" or "owu ite" (poverty).

Owu sa gi ... = If you suffer poverty ...
Alright, so then what about it's origins? I've heard Ika from Afam and Abiriba from Andre, and maybe (due to its very common/popular usage in the area) Onitsha.

I've never once heard that expression until I heard that song at a wake keeping.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by Obiagu1(m): 3:47am On Jun 19, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Alright, so then what about it's origins? I've heard Ika from Afam and Abiriba from Andre, and maybe (due to its very common/popular usage in the area) Onitsha.

I don't know the origin but I know the word when I was still a kid in Enugu.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 4:46am On Jun 19, 2012
This isn't anybody's fault. Rather, it's a perfect example of the dialectal variation in the Igbo language. In my own dialect, poverty is 'mgbei' and we don't have anything like 'owu'.

Prior to you guys' explanations, I knew that that saying (owu as gi, i ga amalu ife) had something to do with hardship/poverty but I didn't exactly know what 'owu' meant.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by Obiagu1(m): 4:50am On Jun 19, 2012
odumchi: This isn't anybody's fault. Rather, it's a perfect example of the dialectal difference in Igbo. In my own dialect poverty is 'mgbei' and we don't have anything like 'owu'.

Prior to you guys' explanations, I knew that that saying (owu as gi, i ga amalu ife) had something to do with hardship/poverty but I didn't exactly know what 'owu' meant.

I really doubt "owu ite" is anyone's dialect as far as I know, it's just a word that evolved.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 5:05am On Jun 19, 2012
Obiagu1:

I really doubt "owu ite" is anyone's dialect as far as I know, it's just a word that evolved.

Oh okay.

Anyway, here's another song I need help interpreting. The song is in Owere and the particular verses that I need help interpreting are: "shim ma shimalama o rii ihe m mere gi o, onye ripkoma chi ya adomara ya" (0:50) and "awa shiri umunna, a na shima onye ebebe emele m o, kajia achukwala nwa nihi na ofo eji egbu egbu ka e ji egbu nma mana m merenini na egbu ofo" (0:25 to 0:40).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBHs9KkEe2U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Lol, I know this one will be very difficult.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by ifyalways(f): 6:05pm On Jun 19, 2012
I'm preparing and having ofe owerri tonight so i'll translate this tomorrow. . . With enough owerri-ness flowing through my obara and akwara.

1 Like

Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by odumchi: 5:51pm On Jun 20, 2012
ifyalways: I'm preparing and having ofe owerri tonight so i'll translate this tomorrow. . . With enough owerri-ness flowing through my obara and akwara.

Lol. Take your time.
Re: Need Help Interpreting An Indigenous Song? by Nebukadineze: 1:39pm On Aug 16, 2013
Feriserima is of Kalabari language. The song is about Owu Miri, Mamiwata worshiping, which is/was ubiquitous in Kalabari culture
ChinenyeN:
Oh. I see. Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Were The Original Food Crops In Africa / Why Are Africans Losing Their Identity In The West: ? / Igbo Music styles and Genres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.