Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,692 members, 7,820,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? (5419 Views)

Atheism In Decline And Will Be Defeated By Faith, Says Oxford Professor / The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion / Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 2:09pm On Jun 19, 2012
This question goes out to the religious people in Nigeria; What is the argument against atheism in Nigeria? .

Less that one percent of Nigerians are atheists. Is that really a good statistic?

As an atheist, I will put forward my reasons for atheism in Nigeria;

1) Relgion has failed Nigeria; When we look at christianity and islam in Nigeria, they have added to the corruption and poverty in Nigeria, rather than curb the corruption. Also religion has added to human rights abuse in Nigeria.
-Prosperity pastors ripping poor people off
-Religious southern politicians still stealing money.
-Religious northern politicians smuggling under-aged girls for marriage from North Africa.
-Pastors slapping young girls
-Boko Haram and terrorism

Not all religious people are corrupt but the important ones in Nigeria are quite corrupt. I will concede that most religious people have good intentions and not all religious people are bad. There is no guarantee that atheism will make Nigeria perfect. The evidence that we can point to is that the most peaceful countries (Peace index) and the most developed(human development index) are atheistsic or very secular.

2) Atheism is less divisive on deadly issues; Religion can unite people of the same faith but it can be deadly and divisive when it comes to people of different faiths. Nigeria is divided by religion into the north and south. Nigeria has the rare practice of having two sets of national laws with sharia differing from the common law.

Atheists from all backgrounds might not agree on millions of things but at least, they are not divided on a deadly/controversial issue like religion. Furthermore, atheist are more likely to focus on humans before God, gods or scriptures. Secular humanism?

3) Appreciation of our culture; Nigeria is not historically a christian or muslim country. Nigeria was a country of numerous tribal pagan religions. Christianity and Islam, by their nature, are not going to look favourably at keeping relics of paganism in museums and in villages alive, at least for tourism and history lessons for children. For instance, Japanese people keep their culture and history alive by maintaining Shinto shrines for people to see their heritage- Japanese people do not believe in religion (mostly atheists + irreligious) but they keep it for historical and cultural reasons.

While I personally do not believe in paganism, I think that we should keep our shrines and idols for people to see what our forefathers did in their time. This could also be a tourist attraction like the Shinto shrines in Japan

4) The commonwealth argument; The British who brought christianity to Nigeria are not as religious as Nigeria. Studies even show that about 40 percent in the UK are not religious and 20% are atheists. Why is this so? Why is it that the country that brought christianity to Nigeria is rejecting it and they (the UK) are better off than Nigeria? Does God love secular countries or are secular countries just more developed?

I would like to see counter-arguments (Arguments against atheism in Nigeria) or thoughts about the arguments I made. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 4:12pm On Jun 19, 2012
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Cheers01: 5:12pm On Jun 19, 2012
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 19, 2012
Great points. But i think we should preach more on tolerance and seek to have more educated and learned people on the pulpits instead of idiots who claim to have received a CALL from the Lord.... the christian gangster currently leading CAN is an example..
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Cheers01: 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2012
musKeeto: Great points. But i think we should preach more on tolerance and seek to have more educated and learned people on the pulpits instead of idiots who claim to have received a CALL from the Lord.... the christian gangster currently leading CAN is an example..

Agreed. We should have intelligent people speaking on the need to allow and be tolerant of other people's religion or disbelief.

However, we should focus more on giving the facts about religions; both the good and the bad. The preaching of tolerance wont work with people who have lost their loved ones to terrorists like Boko Haram or lost their loved ones to pastors who brainwashed them.

People act on information. Faulty information, faulty decisions.
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Cheers01: 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2012
musKeeto: Great points. But i think we should preach more on tolerance and seek to have more educated and learned people on the pulpits instead of idiots who claim to have received a CALL from the Lord.... the christian gangster currently leading CAN is an example..

Did you know that even India has atheist organisations?

-Indian Rationalist Association
-Rationalist international

Even India is developing; their middle class is growing while Nigerian middle class is shrinking
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 19, 2012
double post
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 19, 2012
PS: I'm having a hard time referring to you as CHEERS.. grin berra find beta user name.. like 'dontBanMeAgain' or something cheesy
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 19, 2012
musKeeto:

I'm quite aware of that. One of the reasons I became agnostic..

Most of the people I interact with here (below 30) do not believe in God. A friend of mine made his parents aware of his atheistic views. His parents didn't try to force him to temples. But out of respect, he joins them on pilgrimages to some 'holy' land.

I believe that if we preach more on tolerance instead of trying to 'debunk' each other's beliefs, then Nigeria (Bleep the world) would be a better place.

Tolerance not only between different religions, but also within the religion itself.. tithers vs non tithers, catholics vs pentecostals, holy spirit vs trinity, sunni vs shia.. blah blah blah
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 6:11pm On Jun 19, 2012
musKeeto: PS: I'm having a hard time referring to you as CHEERS.. grin berra find beta user name.. like 'dontBanMeAgain' or something cheesy

very funny at bolded. cheesy grin
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Cheers01: 6:38pm On Jun 19, 2012
musKeeto: PS: I'm having a hard time referring to you as CHEERS.. grin berra find beta user name.. like 'dontBanMeAgain' or something cheesy

I wanted to use a happy word because many people here on Nairaland judge you by ur username and not content.
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 7:01pm On Jun 19, 2012
Cheers01:

I wanted to use a happy word because many people here on Nairaland judge you by ur username and not content.

But I really miss logicboy. Hope logicboy01 has not been baned again?
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Cheers01: 7:04pm On Jun 19, 2012
2good:

But I really miss logicboy. Hope logicboy01 has not been baned again?

Both were banned.
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 7:09pm On Jun 19, 2012
Cheers01:

Both were banned.

lol. its really funny. You better beg Seun to unban you and try to be a bit civil in presenting your arguments to people.
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Cheers01: 7:11pm On Jun 19, 2012
2good:
lol. its really funny. You better beg Seun to unban you and try to be a bit civil in presenting your arguments to people.

I dont even know how to contact the guy called Seun. Never seen him comment.

But it's irrelevant
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 10:58am On Jun 20, 2012
I wonder how atheism will grow in Nigeria....
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by 2good(m): 10:59am On Jun 20, 2012
logicboy01: I wonder how atheism will grow in Nigeria....

You're back!!
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 11:01am On Jun 20, 2012
2good:

You're back!!

Yes...oo
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 1:16pm On Jun 20, 2012
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 3:35pm On Jun 20, 2012
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2012
The British who brought christianity to Nigeria are not even religious or christian;

Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Sisterfatie(f): 10:35pm On Jun 20, 2012
D argument against atheism in nigeria is simple. Those religious leaders aren't gonna let their source of income go dry.

1 Like

Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 10:42pm On Jun 20, 2012
Sister fatie: D argument against atheism in nigeria is simple. Those religious leaders aren't gonna let their source of income go dry.

hahaha. Nice one, Sister!

grin grin grin
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:47pm On Jun 20, 2012
Absolutely.
Historically, Africa is not Christian or Islamic.
These religions have been imposed by the conquerors.
Undoubtedly, it is preferable to be an atheist, to follow the religion of the slavers.
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 10:48pm On Jun 20, 2012
Ptolomeus: Absolutely.
Historically, Africa is not Christian or Islamic.
These religions have been imposed by the conquerors.
Undoubtedly, it is preferable to be an atheist, to follow the religion of the slavers.

Gracias Amigos!
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by caezar: 2:55pm On Jun 21, 2012
logicboy01:
This question goes out to the religious people in Nigeria; What is the argument against atheism in Nigeria? .

Less that one percent of Nigerians are atheists. Is that really a good statistic?

As an atheist, I will put forward my reasons for atheism in Nigeria;

1) Relgion has failed Nigeria; When we look at christianity and islam in Nigeria, they have added to the corruption and poverty in Nigeria, rather than curb the corruption. Also religion has added to human rights abuse in Nigeria.
-Prosperity pastors ripping poor people off
-Religious southern politicians still stealing money.
-Religious northern politicians smuggling under-aged girls for marriage from North Africa.
-Pastors slapping young girls
-Boko Haram and terrorism

Not all religious people are corrupt but the important ones in Nigeria are quite corrupt. I will concede that most religious people have good intentions and not all religious people are bad. There is no guarantee that atheism will make Nigeria perfect. The evidence that we can point to is that the most peaceful countries (Peace index) and the most developed(human development index) are atheistsic or very secular.

2) Atheism is less divisive on deadly issues; Religion can unite people of the same faith but it can be deadly and divisive when it comes to people of different faiths. Nigeria is divided by religion into the north and south. Nigeria has the rare practice of having two sets of national laws with sharia differing from the common law.

Atheists from all backgrounds might not agree on millions of things but at least, they are not divided on a deadly/controversial issue like religion. Furthermore, atheist are more likely to focus on humans before God, gods or scriptures. Secular humanism?

3) Appreciation of our culture; Nigeria is not historically a christian or muslim country. Nigeria was a country of numerous tribal pagan religions. Christianity and Islam, by their nature, are not going to look favourably at keeping relics of paganism in museums and in villages alive, at least for tourism and history lessons for children. For instance, Japanese people keep their culture and history alive by maintaining Shinto shrines for people to see their heritage- Japanese people do not believe in religion (mostly atheists + irreligious) but they keep it for historical and cultural reasons.

While I personally do not believe in paganism, I think that we should keep our shrines and idols for people to see what our forefathers did in their time. This could also be a tourist attraction like the Shinto shrines in Japan

4) The commonwealth argument; The British who brought christianity to Nigeria are not as religious as Nigeria. Studies even show that about 40 percent in the UK are not religious and 20% are atheists. Why is this so? Why is it that the country that brought christianity to Nigeria is rejecting it and they (the UK) are better off than Nigeria? Does God love secular countries or are secular countries just more developed?

I would like to see counter-arguments (Arguments against atheism in Nigeria) or thoughts about the arguments I made. Cheers!

Lol. What an absurd and inconsistent set of arguments to make!

1) Religion has failed Nigeria? Religion, has built Nigeria!!!
Being a Christian, I can't speak much for the Islamic religious institution, but here are a few things religion has done for us:

a. It has built us many schools: Loyola Jesuit College, Christ the King College, Regina Pacis to name but a few secondary schools. Loyola Jesuit College is the perfect example here. Many of its students have gone on to very good higher institutions in foreign countries (please I do not wish to get into an argument about brain drain) they will in time come back and give back to Nigeria. That's thanks to some Jesuits.

b. Economic empowerment! I'm catholic, and so I speak from that perspective. I went for a bazaar recently for a church we're opening in some far off village in Abuja. Ordinarily, nothing would take me to that remote part of town, but because I had been specifically invited by the priest, I went. At the bazaar, they auctioned off many items to raise money for the church. But most importantly, they auctioned off taxis, motorcycles, fans, sewing machines etc for the poor residents of that village so that they could use these items to generate an income for their families. That's a contribution from religion!!!

There are countless other examples that anyone with open eyes and half an imagination can come up with. Religious institutions are perhaps better than our government in actually assisting the very poor people in our society.

2) Again, what The world has issues mate! And they do not stop at religious differences. Have you heard of the Hutus and the Tutsis? In Rwanda, you have a country divided not along religious lines BUT ethnic ones. In fact, an extensive study of our history will show you that Nigeria's first cracks occurred along ethnic lines not religious ones so it is not clear that eliminating the current religious tensions would somehow unite Nigeria.

And to preempt you, atheism does not miraculously (pun intended) solve any of Nigeria's problems. Atheism is not a cure for illiteracy, ignorance or fanaticism as is evident from some of the comments on this forum.

3) Of all your points, this is the most laughable. You have NO appreciation for history. For if you understood the influence that religion has had on preserving culture the world over you would show more respect. For instance, in the Dark Ages of our history, it was Christian monks who preserved the texts of our natural sciences in those days and the texts of ancient cultures you would revere today. But the most laughable thing about this point is that I cannot see how religion stands in the way of the preservation of cultural artifacts.

4) I hate to repeat this point over and over again but you are in sore need of a history lesson. Amongst other things. Secularism and Atheism are two very different things! This UK, that you so proudly point to, was founded on the back of Christianity. It's roots are intertwined with those of Christianity. And have you watched a Republican presidential debate (this is the US not the UK, but what better example than the most developed country in the world)? Religion is very much a part of US politics even as the state is clearly secular. You must then ask yourself why religion plays such an important part of politics in this country if, as you say, atheism leads to greater development.

I think some atheists on this forum have turned this forum into a medium for religious bashing. I was jobless today and I stumbled on a Nairaland post during a google search. Since then, all I have seen on Nairaland is countless examples of shoddy, ridiculous arguments from atheists which are really just an excuse for religious bashing. I think that's sad. We should all be entitled to our own faiths, or lack thereof without fear of attack from people of conflicting faiths... or lack thereof.
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 3:52pm On Jun 21, 2012
@ Ceazar
I have been "praying" for someone like you to come along. Most religious people here avoid debates. Allow me to debunk you. grin

caezar:

Lol. What an absurd and inconsistent set of arguments to make!

1) Religion has failed Nigeria? Religion, has built Nigeria!!!
Being a Christian, I can't speak much for the Islamic religious institution, but here are a few things religion has done for us:

a. It has built us many schools: Loyola Jesuit College, Christ the King College, Regina Pacis to name but a few secondary schools. Loyola Jesuit College is the perfect example here. Many of its students have gone on to very good higher institutions in foreign countries (please I do not wish to get into an argument about brain drain) they will in time come back and give back to Nigeria. That's thanks to some Jesuits.

b. Economic empowerment! I'm catholic, and so I speak from that perspective. I went for a bazaar recently for a church we're opening in some far off village in Abuja. Ordinarily, nothing would take me to that remote part of town, but because I had been specifically invited by the priest, I went. At the bazaar, they auctioned off many items to raise money for the church. But most importantly, they auctioned off taxis, motorcycles, fans, sewing machines etc for the poor residents of that village so that they could use these items to generate an income for their families. That's a contribution from religion!!!

There are countless other examples that anyone with open eyes and half an imagination can come up with. Religious institutions are perhaps better than our government in actually assisting the very poor people in our society.

I think you need a history lesson. Stockholm syndrome is wrong. The first christians came into Nigeria around 1471 (Portugese) while the British came some years later. The first school in Nigeria, CMS lagos was built in 1859. Before you talk about christian education or schools, you should know some facts;

-Christians/christiany r.aped and exploited Nigeria for over 300 years with slavery and colonization before building a school in Nigeria in 1859.
-The number of secular schools outnumber the christian schools

Furthermore, I was a catholic for 22 years. My states has many villages that have had catholic influence dating back to 200 years. Guess what? No development there.

For every child that the church feeds or educates, it is making thousands of dollars back in offerings and tax loopholes and also destroying the lives of other children with their teaching on condoms and accusation of witchcraft.

caezar:

2) Again, what The world has issues mate! And they do not stop at religious differences. Have you heard of the Hutus and the Tutsis? In Rwanda, you have a country divided not along religious lines BUT ethnic ones. In fact, an extensive study of our history will show you that Nigeria's first cracks occurred along ethnic lines not religious ones so it is not clear that eliminating the current religious tensions would somehow unite Nigeria.

And to preempt you, atheism does not miraculously (pun intended) solve any of Nigeria's problems. Atheism is not a cure for illiteracy, ignorance or fanaticism as is evident from some of the comments on this forum.

Yes, Atheism does not solve problems by itself. Atheism is a theological stance. However, atheism lacks the divisive power of religion. Religion can cause wars.

As for Tutsis and the Hutus, there was christian influence in some killings in Rwanda. Go and read about the genocide again. Your example shows how christianity can aggravate ethnic divisions.

caezar:

3) Of all your points, this is the most laughable. You have NO appreciation for history. For if you understood the influence that religion has had on preserving culture the world over you would show more respect. For instance, in the Dark Ages of our history, it was Christian monks who preserved the texts of our natural sciences in those days and the texts of ancient cultures you would revere today. But the most laughable thing about this point is that I cannot see how religion stands in the way of the preservation of cultural artifacts.

You are very wrong. Christianity is known to destroy culture. Religions can not stand other religions. Even in the bible, Idols of other nations got destroyed.
My village was known for sculptures and idols in the past however, thanks to catholics and anglicans, no more.

You are so very wrong on this point. You should even be apologising to me for even daring to negate my point! grin

caezar:

4) I hate to repeat this point over and over again but you are in sore need of a history lesson. Amongst other things. Secularism and Atheism are two very different things! This UK, that you so proudly point to, was founded on the back of Christianity. It's roots are intertwined with those of Christianity. And have you watched a Republican presidential debate (this is the US not the UK, but what better example than the most developed country in the world)? Religion is very much a part of US politics even as the state is clearly secular. You must then ask yourself why religion plays such an important part of politics in this country if, as you say, atheism leads to greater development.

It is funny that you did not talk about the seclarism and atheism in the UK where over 30% are atheists and many do not consider religion important in their lives. This is the same country that brought christianity to our country and they are discarding it because they know it is not for the 21st century.

As for the USA, it remains a secular state. Separation of church and state. 10-15% of Americans are atheists which translates to over 30 million american atheists. That is about half of the entire population of the UK.

When you claim that the UK and USA were built on christianity what you mean is that these countries were built on slave trade, genocide of the local indians, imperialism and exploitation. Thank you. Both countries were built on slave labour.

caezar:

I think some atheists on this forum have turned this forum into a medium for religious bashing. I was jobless today and I stumbled on a Nairaland post during a google search. Since then, all I have seen on Nairaland is countless examples of shoddy, ridiculous arguments from atheists which are really just an excuse for religious bashing. I think that's sad. We should all be entitled to our own faiths, or lack thereof without fear of attack from people of conflicting faiths... or lack thereof.

Telling the truth about religion is not bashing religion
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by Ptolomeus(m): 6:38pm On Jun 21, 2012
After that last intervention of Logicboy, our friend caezar need the paramedics!

Abrazo amigazo!!
Vamo' arriba la celeste!
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by MrAnony1(m): 7:30pm On Jun 21, 2012
LOL,

Logicboy good to have you back, I can't say I've missed you though.

Please tell me how atheism will develop Nigeria i.e. what does Nigeria stand to gain if it becomes an Atheist country?
(mind you secular humanism is not the same as atheism. Nigeria already has a secular government)
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 8:13pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ptolomeus: After that last intervention of Logicboy, our friend caezar need the paramedics!

Abrazo amigazo!!
Vamo' arriba la celeste!

Gracias Amigos!
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by logicboy01: 8:22pm On Jun 21, 2012
Mr_Anony: LOL,

Logicboy good to have you back, I can't say I've missed you though.

Please tell me how atheism will develop Nigeria i.e. what does Nigeria stand to gain if it becomes an Atheist country?
(mind you secular humanism is not the same as atheism. Nigeria already has a secular government)

Read the first post again.

Atheism alone can not develop a country; it is a theological stance. However;

-Atheism lacks the divisive ability of religion; less division among Nigerians
-Atheism will reduce the child abuse that comes with accusing innocent children of witchcraft and torturing/killing them
-Atheism will not give the chance of pastors robbing poor people with tithe preaching
-Less religious extremism

Furthermore, evolution is not taught or properly taught in schools. We dont even have science museums for fossils and evolution. Also, proper history of christianity and slavery or islam and slavery is not taught in schools. History shows that these two religions supported slavery. had to learn about Nigerian history concerning slaver in London

Nigeria is not secular. We dont have separation of church and state. When our politicians and legislators are allowed to use government money to support churches or Sharia law exists.
Re: The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? by MrAnony1(m): 9:47pm On Jun 21, 2012
logicboy01:

Read the first post again.

Atheism alone can not develop a country; it is a theological stance. However;
So is every other religion. Each is a theological stance in it's own right

-Atheism lacks the divisive ability of religion; less division among Nigerians
if all Nigerians were one religion, there will also be less division
-Atheism will reduce the child abuse that comes with accusing innocent children of witchcraft and torturing/killing them
Atheism will not necessarily reduce child abuse. Religion is just another excuse for the abuser An atheist child abuser could still abuse children for "pragmatic" reasons
-Atheism will not give the chance of pastors robbing poor people with tithe preaching

fraudsters will just find another cloak to wear and practice their trade outside religion
-Less religious extremism
More atheist extremism (case in point communist China)

Furthermore, evolution is not taught or properly taught in schools.
Personally, I think it is taught well enough
We dont even have science museums for fossils and evolution.
We don't even have proper museums at all in the first place

Also, proper history of christianity and slavery or islam and slavery is not taught in schools. History shows that these two religions supported slavery.
And what will be the relevance of this teaching in developing the child other than breeding a hate for religion/ I personally think Nigerian history is taught well enough
had to learn about Nigerian history concerning slaver in London
Good for you, you are free to pursue that if that's your field of interest

Nigeria is not secular. We dont have separation of church and state. When our politicians and legislators are allowed to use government money to support churches or Sharia law exists.
Nigeria is secular because the Nigerian constitution is not based on any religion. As for government money supporting churches, even in "secular" UK 20% of tax money goes to support churches and charities as gift aid. The Sharia law (not that I condone it in any way) is akin to customary law and is still subject federal laws an example of a parallel would be Amish laws observed by Amish communities in the "secular" USA. Another example is criminalizing polygamy in "secular" countries (There is no good unreligious* argument for this)

So far as it looks to me Atheism isn't one of Nigeria's most urgent needs. Nigeria offers freedom of religion and that is enough.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lord Have We Not Prophesied In Your Name? A Closer Look At Matthew 7:21-23 / What Islam And The Seventh Day Adventists Share In Common / BREAKING NEWS!!! Yobe State In Nigeria Is Boiling Now. Churches Are Being Burnt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.