Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. (2344 Views)

Atheism In Decline And Will Be Defeated By Faith, Says Oxford Professor / The Deadly Deception Of intimate Atheism In The Church / The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 04, 2012
In a country divided between muslims in the north, and animists and christians in the south, how are atheists (non-believers) recieved?
Stuck between a religion of which practitioners kill non-believers (infidels), and one that discourages free will (must do else fire), and another that kills babies and de-humanises widows, how are people that encourage one to think for himself recieved? And what are their impacts on modern society?
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by mazaje(m): 1:19pm On Feb 04, 2012
SimonAndal:

In a country divided between muslims in the north, and animists and christians in the south, how are atheists (non-believers) recieved?

They are not received. . .Instead they are looked upon like aliens from space. . .Nigeria is not a civilized society, a society where people will get mad at you for not believing in mytholigies like witch craft is not a society where athiesm will be tolerated. . . .

Stuck between a religion of which practitioners kill non-believers (infidels), and one that discourages free will (must do else fire), and another that kills babies and de-humanises widows, how are people that encourage one to think for himself recieved? And what are their impacts on modern society?

Nigeria is not a modern society. . . . . .People live there as if they are in the pre historic era where it is OK to kill and discriminate on others because they belong to another religion. . . .
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 04, 2012
I was born into catholic family, who were born to pagans. I went to church every sunday (read: go or be flogged), went to fellowship every monday and thursday evening. Went to night vigil every other friday, told my most intimate thoughts to a priest, forced to memorize every psalm. But then something happened. Little by little I began to notice things about people I didn't (read: wasn't allowed to) see before (they were all bigots). I began asking questions (read: I tried to, but was flogged dearly by dad), I read literary works of other denominations, listened to our priest condemning other faiths to an eternity of anguish. Listened to other faiths condemning me to an eternity of anguish, or outright saying they'll kill me if I don't convert to their beliefs. And I asked more questions, which I then had to tell a priest in confession.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by plaetton: 3:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
As Athiests in Nigeria, muslims wish you dead on the spot, and christain look upon you as if you have stolen something very precious from them.
Many have even told me that people like me block their blessing from god and it is because of non-believers that god is withholding or delaying his promised blessings to the nation.
How pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by mazaje(m): 4:54pm On Feb 04, 2012
plaetton:

As Athiests in Nigeria, muslims wish you dead on the spot, and christain look upon you as if you have stolen something very precious from them.
Many have even told me that people like me block their blessing from god and it is because of non-believers that god is withholding or delaying his promised blessings to the nation.
How pathetic.

grin grin grin grin. . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by freshera: 5:17pm On Feb 04, 2012
Atheism is not intelligent. Supreme intelligence, infact all intelligence belongs to God.

Before outer space existed there was and there is still God. I love Him.

How did evolution or big ban.g think of creating male and female creatures?

Puhlease, you don't believe in juju right?

Go to Ilishan shrine, they will show you the day you were born inside a mirror koro koro.

Abegiiii, the spirit world exists joooooooor!
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by tpia5: 5:27pm On Feb 04, 2012
I'm not sure why these so-called nigerian atheists whine so much on the internet.

Like atheism is a new thing back home?

Any of you ever heard of tai solarin?

Most atheists of older generations did not spend their time sitting around and whining like you.

I dont know where you people come from- maybe mars, but here on nl atheists tend to be some of the most bitter, grudge carrying, malicious personas anyone ever saw.

Is there nothing that makes your lives purposeful?

Besides whining about religion that is.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by mazaje(m): 5:43pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

I'm not sure why these so-called nigerian atheists whine so much on the internet.

Most atheists of older generations did not spend their time sitting around and whining like you.

I dont know where you people come from- maybe mars, but here on nl atheists tend to be some of the most bitter, grudge carrying, malicious personas anyone ever saw.

When you come around regurgitation aged long mythologies and delusions you call it spreading the word, when atheist talk about your delusions they are whining, eh?. . .Clap for your self. . .
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by tpia5: 5:50pm On Feb 04, 2012
^Example # 1
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by plaetton: 6:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

I do agree with you. delusions can create purpose in the life of any one who subscribes to such.

And I guess because ahtiests dont have any delusions, that makes their lives purposeless.
Poor athiests.

I remind you that this is a public opinion forum where every opinion is subject to scrutiny and criticism.
Since religion, especially those of others, affect our daily lives, it will remain a subject of great interest for everyone, especially those that suffer under its burden.
You seem to have more problems with certain idividuals rather than the opinions they present.
Who is the bitter person now?.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by tpia5: 6:30pm On Feb 04, 2012
^^^do i spend all my time whining and griping about atheism or atheists?

therein lies your answer.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by plaetton: 7:26pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

^^^do i spend all my time whining and griping about atheism or atheists?

therein lies your answer.
Wherever you live, I am sure that athiests do not threaten or interfere with your daily life. Here in Nigeria, Religion and Religious people threaten and interfere with my daily life. That is a fact.
Therefore, I will always be critical of religious ideas or posts that reinforces the many problems that religion causes us in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by tpia5: 7:29pm On Feb 04, 2012
^ you should consider seeing a mental health professional.

like i told you before, you're not the first atheist in nigeria so nobody knows why you're expecting a prize as if you achieved something.

atheists who preceeded you actually did productive things with their lives instead of sitting on their asses whining about everything.

have you ever thought about the fact that maybe your attitude is what people around you find irritating.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by Lasinoh: 7:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
You will think that those whose hands are filled with the 'blessings of God' would be fulfilled?
But, I never met such miserable bigotted, nasty human beings called Christians in my whole life.
What a God of hate and misery!
Twa!!!! cry
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by plaetton: 8:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

^ you should consider seeing a mental health professional.

like i told you before, you're not the first atheist in nigeria so nobody knows why you're expecting a prize as if you achieved something.

atheists who preceeded you actually did productive things with their lives instead of sitting on their asses whining about everything.

have you ever thought about the fact that maybe your attitude is what people around you find irritating.
Hah ah ha. You really make me laugh. Mental health proffessional?. HMMm.Thats a new one.
Athiesm is just an opinion, numbskull, its not a profession.
I can see that free thought and free expression of opinion really irks you.My attitude around people? What people? online people? You are letting your imaginations stray too far.

At least you are admitting that my athiestic viewpoint irritates you.
Oh poor you. Pele O.

@Op. you see what we mean. First, he says I'm from mars and now he thinks i need a mental health professional, simply because of my athiestic viewpoints.

And this poop is one of the few that thinks that bishop Oyedepo was right in physically abusing a poor innocent girl some time ago.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by tpia5: 8:11pm On Feb 04, 2012
^^look, crockpot, you're the one complaining about people around you giving you a hard time.

maybe they are doing so due to your attitude.

if you cant understand this simple english then too bad.

bye bye.

i"m not interested in your pity party.

if you're fishing for atheist of the year award, then have someone open a thread to that effect.

or go undercover using another id, and do the same.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by plaetton: 8:34pm On Feb 04, 2012
Again numbskull,
This is an opinion forum. You cannot come here to intimidate people simply because they repudiate your cosy worldview.
I 'd like to think that most people are having fun learning and exchanging ideas on this forum, even when f the opnions are opposites.
If you are not capable of articulating your own opinions or convictions in a public forum such as this, then may I suggest that you  go and suck on an egg or hug your teddy bear.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by Lasinoh: 8:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
*Gbam*

More please. grin
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by UyiIredia(m): 10:34pm On Feb 04, 2012
Pretty bad. I think there are some people who are reasonable and won't discriminate but it's more likely there'll be outright discrimination against you simply because of the fact that you're atheist. Case in point: I recently have been keenly following evolutionary arguments. I'm actually a YEC/ID'st but I do like to know the latest happenings for the sake of knowledge. Some of my mates who saw such material started calling me an atheist and one in particular accused me of being unsure of my existence. That simply because of the fact that I was browsing a topic that's hints at atheism. This experience gave me a small bit of what it feels like to be an atheist but to be candid I was disappointed because I expected them to ask before coming to conclusions.

This topic doesn't apply to atheist's alone it also applies to free-thinkers (not atheists but anyone irrespective of ideologies who is willing to consider others ideas not minding their ideological bias), people who think outside the box and are unwilling to be bound to socio-cultural norms. It is through the likes of these that societies have progressed.

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by mazaje(m): 5:23am On Feb 05, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Pretty bad. I think there are some people who are reasonable and won't discriminate but it's more likely there'll be outright discrimination against you simply because of the fact that you're atheist. Case in point: I recently have been keenly following evolutionary arguments. I'm actually a YEC/ID'st but I do like to know the latest happenings for the sake of knowledge. Some of my mates who saw such material started calling me an atheist and one in particular accused me of being unsure of my existence. That simply because of the fact that I was browsing a topic that's hints at atheism. This experience gave me a small bit of what it feels like to be an atheist but to be candid I was disappointed because I expected them to ask before coming to conclusions.

This topic doesn't apply to atheist's alone it also applies to free-thinkers (not atheists but anyone irrespective of ideologies who is willing to consider others ideas not minding their ideological bias), people who think outside the box and are unwilling to be bound to socio-cultural norms. It is through the likes of these that societies have progressed.

Professing unbelief in things like witches and wizards is enough to get you in trouble in some part of Nigeria. . . .Atheism i just a no no in that backward society. . . . .

1 Like

Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by Lasinoh: 5:56am On Feb 05, 2012
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGzFN_NalI[/flash]

Who wanno practice atheism in a place like Nigeria?
Full of Ogboni-Okija Holy-Ghost Phocking Chrisharian?
God forbid o! cheesy
I'd rather take my chances with 'junkies' in the modern world.
Twa!!! cheesy
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by UyiIredia(m): 9:33am On Feb 05, 2012
mazaje:

Professing unbelief in things like witches and wizards is enough to get you in trouble in some part of Nigeria. . . .Atheism i just a no no in that backward society. . . . .

There's hope though. I remain optimistic notwithstanding my present experience that Nigerians can, in the future, learn to treat atheists with fairness & respect.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by mazaje(m): 10:11am On Feb 05, 2012
That will be in the distant future, like 200 years from now. . . . .
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by tpia5: 10:20am On Feb 05, 2012
atheists [especially the nl ones] are the ones who dont treat others with fairness and respect.

you're now playing victim- were you promised visa to somewhere if you do so?

how sad.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by mazaje(m): 10:28am On Feb 05, 2012
tpia@:

atheists [especially the nl ones] are the ones who dont treat others with fairness and respect.

how sad.

What is wrong with this myth believer?. . . Didn't you read what Uyi Iredia wrote?. . . .
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by UyiIredia(m): 10:55am On Feb 05, 2012
tpia@:

how sad.

I couldn't care less. But I'm quite sure that if the position were reversed (with atheists as the majority) the atheists would indeed persecute the Christians. It is common for people of opposing ideologies to persecute themselves. However, one expects better of the Christians given the example of Christ and how Christianity itself got off to a rough start amongst the Roman pagans.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by manmustwac(m): 9:23pm On Feb 05, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

I couldn't care less. But I'm quite sure that if the position were reversed (with atheists as the majority) the atheists would indeed persecute the Christians. It is common for people of opposing ideologies to persecute themselves. However, one expects better of the Christians given the example of Christ and how Christianity itself got off to a rough start amongst the Roman pagans.
Can you give any examples of countries where athiests are the majority and christian and muslim minorites are being persecuted?
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by dare2think: 10:15pm On Feb 05, 2012
^^^^^^^

I think Uyi-iredia was just trying to make a point if the case was reversed and not asserting that such countries exist.

@Uyi-iredia

I'm quite pleased with what you wrote and I'm sure your experience will further enlighten to as to how people can be victimised for holding opposing anti-popular views. I particularly agree with your statement with regards to Christians;

one expects better of the Christians given the example of Christ and how Christianity itself got off to a rough start amongst the Roman pagans.

Its funny how some Christians forget about their [b]persecuted [/b]history and assume the role of the [b]persecutors [/b]when it comes to those that share other views.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by UyiIredia(m): 11:08am On Feb 06, 2012
manmustwac:

Can you give any examples of countries where athiests are the majority and christian and muslim minorites are being persecuted?

I can't give any. However, I can mention atheistic regimes (i.e regimes which followed atheistic ideologies) such as Communist China (under Mao) and the USSR which heavily persecuted Christians.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by UyiIredia(m): 11:11am On Feb 06, 2012
dare2think:

@Uyi-iredia

I'm quite pleased with what you wrote and I'm sure your experience will further enlighten to as to how people can be victimised for holding opposing anti-popular views. I particularly agree with your statement with regards to Christians;

one expects better of the Christians given the example of Christ and how Christianity itself got off to a rough start amongst the Roman pagans.

Its funny how some Christians forget about their [b]persecuted [/b]history and assume the role of the [b]persecutors [/b]when it comes to those that share other views.

Thanks for the compliment.
Re: Atheism In Nigeria: It's Reception, And Effects On Society. by thehomer: 3:01pm On Feb 06, 2012
tpia@:

Is it whining when one seeks like minds for discussion and commentary on the environment in which they find themselves?

tpia@:

Actually given the degree of ignorance and superstitious beliefs abundant in Nigeria, it is quite rare to find atheists in Nigeria.

tpia@:

Did the atheists of the older generation have access to the internet?

tpia@:

Really? The most bitter, grudge-carrying, malicious people on Nairaland are atheists? Are you serious?

tpia@:

Actually making complaints about religion especially when one considers the degree of influence and harm it is responsible for, I think that is something important that needs to be done and it is just beginning.

In the words of Voltaire, "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God / Dealing With Demon Power Assigned Against You / Pentecostal Church's Madness !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.