Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,451 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria (1054 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / 5 Ways Pre-marital Sex Will Destroy You / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 11:44am On Jun 20, 2012
Atheism is inevitable, the only problem is the pace at which it grows. Atheism grows fast under certain conditions;

1) The internet;
Nigeria's internet usage is growing as more and more communication companies are offering new internet packages. The internet is where people can learn lots about any topic. Religion is constantly debated and attacked on the internet. Religions are not afforded the blasphemy laws or protection they have in the real world on the internet. There are millions articles on the evils of religion on the internet. There are articles showing the flaws of holy books. There are many debate videos on youtube where atheist debaters like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens defeat the religious debaters. Religions die on the internet, a wise saying says. It is therefore no surprise that theocracies always censor the internet.

2) Nigerians in diaspora/atheist countries;
More and more Nigerians are travelling out of Nigeria for study and work. Many of such Nigerians go to atheistic/secular countries like the UK, Japan, South Korea etc. which are all better developed than Nigeria. Some of these people take bits of the culture back to Nigeria on their return.

3) Religious problems;
Many Nigerians are turned off from religion after they see their religious leaders adding to the problems of Nigeria and while God continues to watch. They have seen pastors slapping innocent children accused of witchcraft, they have seen terrorists (Boko Haram) kill people, holy pedophilia etc.
Such Nigerians also ask why Nigeria upon all its religiousity is no better than countries that are irreligious.

4) Human rights;
European countries, America and other developed countries are now pushing for better human rights around the world, especially in Africa and the middle east. Human rights are quite secular when considering that free speech and the right to sexual orientation have negative implications for religion.
-free speech; bye-bye to blasphemy laws
-right to sexual orientation; gay is here to stay!

5) The rise of secular humanists and atheist organisations/people;
Many Nigerians including myself are dedicating themselves to seek equal treatment of non-believers in religion and for a better Nigeria. Atheists/skpetics/agnostics are always easy targets for bigotry and hatred in religious countries. Furthermore, many atheists feel that with education and proper information, people will be more likely to make better decisions. A higher literacy rate is key to reducing extremist behaviours. If we explain to people that we should put humans first, learn more about the world and focus human development through cooperation,, Nigeria will be a better place
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 1:04pm On Jun 20, 2012
You are one serious (evangelistic) atheist !
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 1:08pm On Jun 20, 2012
Uyi Iredia: You are one serious (evangelistic) atheist !

No such thing as an evangelical atheist.

If I told you that santa claus is not real, does that make me an evangelical anti-santa?

The truth backed with evidence has nothing to do with evangelism.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 1:13pm On Jun 20, 2012
Uyi Iredia: You are one serious (evangelistic) atheist !

By the way, I noticed that you couldnt address the facts of the thread
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by UyiIredia(m): 1:20pm On Jun 20, 2012
logicboy01:

By the way, I noticed that you couldnt address the facts of the thread

There are so many threads with atheist themes these days I am at pains to follow each one to a logical conclusion.

logicboy01:

No such thing as an evangelical atheist.

If I told you that santa claus is not real, does that make me an evangelical anti-santa?

The truth backed with evidence has nothing to do with evangelism.

You are the reason for the word and your active spread of the atheist philosophy is here the term evangelistic atheist derives its strength from.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 1:27pm On Jun 20, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

There are so many threads with atheist themes these days I am at pains to follow each one to a logical conclusion.

You are the reason for the word and your active spread of the atheist philosophy is here the term evangelistic atheist derives its strength from.

Your first statement is pleasing. Atheism is growing, at least on Nairaland!

There is philosophy of healthcare and people who push it in USA politics. It doesnt make healthcare a religion.

There is philosopy of science, philosopy of law.

Please, try again, you fail.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 3:21pm On Jun 20, 2012

Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by Ayomivic(m): 7:20pm On Jun 20, 2012
logicboy01: Atheism is inevitable, the only problem is the pace at which it grows. Atheism grows fast under certain conditions;

1) The internet;
Nigeria's internet usage is growing as more and more communication companies are offering new internet packages. The internet is where people can learn lots about any topic. Religion is constantly debated and attacked on the internet. Religions are not afforded the blasphemy laws or protection they have in the real world on the internet. There are millions articles on the evils of religion on the internet. There are articles showing the flaws of holy books. There are many debate videos on youtube where atheist debaters like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens defeat the religious debaters. Religions die on the internet, a wise saying says. It is therefore no surprise that theocracies always censor the internet.

2) Nigerians in diaspora/atheist countries;
More and more Nigerians are travelling out of Nigeria for study and work. Many of such Nigerians go to atheistic/secular countries like the UK, Japan, South Korea etc. which are all better developed than Nigeria. Some of these people take bits of the culture back to Nigeria on their return.

3) Religious problems;
Many Nigerians are turned off from religion after they see their religious leaders adding to the problems of Nigeria and while God continues to watch. They have seen pastors slapping innocent children accused of witchcraft, they have seen terrorists (Boko Haram) kill people, holy pedophilia etc.
Such Nigerians also ask why Nigeria upon all its religiousity is no better than countries that are irreligious.

4) Human rights;
European countries, America and other developed countries are now pushing for better human rights around the world, especially in Africa and the middle east. Human rights are quite secular when considering that free speech and the right to sexual orientation have negative implications for religion.
-free speech; bye-bye to blasphemy laws
-right to sexual orientation; gay is here to stay!

5) The rise of secular humanists and atheist organisations/people;
Many Nigerians including myself are dedicating themselves to seek equal treatment of non-believers in religion and for a better Nigeria. Atheists/skpetics/agnostics are always easy targets for bigotry and hatred in religious countries. Furthermore, many atheists feel that with education and proper information, people will be more likely to make better decisions. A higher literacy rate is key to reducing extremist behaviours. If we explain to people that we should put humans first, learn more about the world and focus human development through cooperation,, Nigeria will be a better place

Thank you logicboy01 for remembring christians of this, what you are saying is true. This is the sign of end time, the time that truth , faith ,believe, would gradually died down and the evil things, an abominable things, incestuous things would take upper hand.
Master ( Jesus Christ ) had warned us against this when he said

And except that the lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's, shake whom he had choosen, he had shortened the days
.And then if any man shall say to you, lo ,here is christ; or lo,he is there; believe him not for false christ and false prophets shall rise and shall shew sign and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible,even the elects.But take ye heed: behold, i have fortold you all things. Mark 13 : 20- 23

The important lesson that christians should hold in this post can be found in the epistle of Paul to corinthians.It read thus.

.....WHEREFORE LET HIM THAT THINKETH HE STANDETH TAKE HEED LEST HE FALL.1Corinthians 10-12

Iam for Christ.
Thanks friend.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 8:26pm On Jun 20, 2012
Ayomivic:

Thank you logicboy01 for remembring christians of this, what you are saying is true. This is the sign of end time, the time that truth , faith ,believe, would gradually died down and the evil things, an abominable things, incestuous things would take upper hand.
Master ( Jesus Christ ) had warned us against this when he said

And except that the lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's, shake whom he had choosen, he had shortened the days
.And then if any man shall say to you, lo ,here is christ; or lo,he is there; believe him not for false christ and false prophets shall rise and shall shew sign and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible,even the elects.But take ye heed: behold, i have fortold you all things. Mark 13 : 20- 23

You talk as if evil did not exist in the past. The incestous things you mention happens many times in the bible. Slavery existed before Jesus.

Sorry but you and the bible are wrong.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by Ayomivic(m): 12:07pm On Jun 21, 2012
logicboy01:

You talk as if evil did not exist in the past. The incestous things you mention happens many times in the bible. Slavery existed before Jesus.

Sorry but you and the bible are wrong.

Yes, evil had been in existence from the beginning of the world. Incest may be happened in bible but God's law does not permit it ,christians must live by what comes out from God mouth not by what someone had done.

People had been worshiped Satan in the past they were redeemed by God and satan had been gained them to himself in different way before through paganism now atheism is one of the way.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 12:17pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ayomivic:

Yes, evil had been in existence from the beginning of the world. Incest may be happened in bible but God's law does not permit it ,christians must live by what comes out from God mouth not by what someone had done.

People had been worshiped Satan in the past they were redeemed by God and satan had been gained them to himself in different way before through paganism now atheism is one of the way.

So, I am a Satanist just because I'm an atheist?

Your forefathers were all pagans until the Europeans came with slavery and christianity. Honestly, you should be more knowledgeable about religion.

God in the bible permits inbreeding. Adam was the parent of Eve. Eve came from Adam's rib. Adam and Eve had children. Incest.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 3:20am On Jun 22, 2012
Ayomivic:

Did God not create the evil? angry
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by Murphy7h4: 4:18am On Jun 22, 2012
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 10:00am On Jun 22, 2012
Murphy7h4: Look good[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]

Spam?
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by Ayomivic(m): 1:52pm On Jun 22, 2012
logicboy01:

So, I am a Satanist just because I'm an atheist?

Your forefathers were all pagans until the Europeans came with slavery and christianity. Honestly, you should be more knowledgeable about religion.

God in the bible permits inbreeding. Adam was the parent of Eve. Eve came from Adam's rib. Adam and Eve had children. Incest.

I think you are right, that was a bitter truth, you are satanist indeed.

Yes,our forefathers were pagans even Europeans forefather were pagans too. They changed when they knew it was Satanic. Is you that need to be more knowlegeable about God ,Satan and lives.

can you allow your son and daughter to marry each other ?
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 2:58pm On Jun 22, 2012
Ayomivic:

I think you are right, that was a bitter truth, you are satanist indeed.

Yes,our forefathers were pagans even Europeans forefather were pagans too. They changed when they knew it was Satanic. Is you that need to be more knowlegeable about God ,Satan and lives.

can you allow your son and daughter to marry each other ?

I wouldnt allow my children to practice inbreeding.

So your forefathers were satanic? See this guy!

I am not a satanist. I dont even believe that he exists
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:49pm On Jun 22, 2012
There is no need for you to be evangelistic about it, if you have read the bible, it has been prophesied that during the last days, "the love of many shall wax cold". So I won't be suprise if people start turning their back to the things of God.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 4:16pm On Jun 22, 2012
TheShopKeeper: There is no need for you to be evangelistic about it, if you have read the bible, it has been prophesied that during the last days, "the love of many shall wax cold". So I won't be suprise if people start turning their back to the things of God.

What a fake prophecy!

When the bible was written, the world was majorly non-christian. Even today, only 1/3rd of the world is christian. The prophecy was just stating the obvious.
Re: 5 Ways In Which Atheism Will Grow In Nigeria by logicboy01: 10:16pm On Jun 26, 2012
Atheism will grow in Nigeria.....given the right conditions

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Reasons Why Celestial Church Congregations Don't Wear Shoes? / Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? / I Was Once A Sex Addict - Rachel Haight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.