Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,361 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? (1063 Views)

Heavenly Reward Vs Earthly Reward: Hilarious Photo / PHOTO: The "Real" Face Of Jesus Uncovered / Did Anyone Ascend Into Heaven Before Jesus Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by bbpreye2: 9:36am On Nov 24, 2012
Why do catholics call Virgin Mary the mother of Jesus or Mother of God? Does God have a wife? Was Joseph not called the earthly father? Why is Mary not called like wise?

Why do they now call her Mother of God? God the father, God the son and God the Holy spirit has been there even before creation or before Mary came into this world. So why have catholics given him a mother?

Please Nairalanders what do you think?
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by k2039: 9:48am On Nov 24, 2012
John 1:1,It's obvious Jesus pre existed Mary.

John 1:14,Mary had to birth Jesus in human form.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by bbpreye2: 9:57am On Nov 24, 2012
k2039: John 1:1,It's obvious Jesus pre existed Mary.

That means she is human! Just like all of us! That means she is the "earthly mother" of Jesus and not the mother of Jesus or mother of God as catholics call her!

Holy Mary mother of God pray for us... Dammm!
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by k2039: 10:15am On Nov 24, 2012
.bbpreye:

That means she is human! Just like all of us! That means she is the "earthly mother" of Jesus and not the mother of Jesus or mother of God as catholics call her!

Mary is/was never the mother of God.
Yes,she was the mother of earthly Jesus,but God has no mother(it's blasphemous saying Mary is the mother of God)

2 Likes

Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by ijawkid(m): 11:13am On Nov 24, 2012
@OP.....if you believe Jesus was the invincible GOD incarnate(fully man and fully God when on earth) then you can conclude that mary is the mother of GOD.....kudos to the trinity dogma........
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by bbpreye2: 1:52pm On Nov 24, 2012
ijawkid: @OP.....if you believe Jesus was the invincible GOD incarnate(fully man and fully God when on earth) then you can conclude that mary is the mother of GOD.....kudos to the trinity dogma........

Binowei, God has no mother or father please! Stop the blasphemy!
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by truthislight: 1:59pm On Nov 24, 2012
.bbpreye:

Very simple!

Do you believe in the trinity?
Yes or no.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 24, 2012
truthislight:

Very simple!

Do you believe in the trinity?
Yes or no.

For once I will agree with you.Any one who claims to believe that Jesus is God but resents his mother been called the mother of God is a very big fool.This is simple logic.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by ijawkid(m): 3:45pm On Nov 24, 2012
.bbpreye:

ABEI Tubara??.......the trinity can lead you to that conclusion....I'm just saying.....
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:45am On Nov 25, 2012
Ofcuz mary gave birth to Jesus according to the flesh, catholic believe that, joshep is d father according to law (adoption), catholics believe that too! Mary isn't the originator of Jesus' divinity catholics believe that, Jesus exists eternally and is b4 mary, catholic believe that too! Jesus God the son, took human flesh in the womb of mary by the power of God and d working of the holyspirit, catholics believe that, and by taking flesh in mary's womb Jesus is both God and man (hypostatic union) catholics also believe that!
The last part is what follows, since Jesus wu is God took flesh and became Godman thru conception mary gave birth to Jesus who is both man and God. She didnt give birth to just a man, a man isn't Jesus, instead she gave birth to the word made flesh, God in human form.
Thus she is the mother of God.
Please note the statements above flows and an attempt to circumvent them will be illogical. The only way u can say mary isn't d mother of God is to claim like ijawkid and frosbel that Jesus isnt God.
If u go with ijawkid atleast u are free of hypocrisy, if u claim Jesus is God and mary isn't d mother of God then that is hypocrisy!
.bbpreye:
Why do catholics call Virgin Mary the mother of Jesus or Mother of God? Does God have a wife? Was Joseph not called the earthly father? Why is Mary not called like wise?

Why do they now call her Mother of God? God the father, God the son and God the Holy spirit has been there even before creation or before Mary came into this world. So why have catholics given him a mother?

Please Nairalanders what do you think?
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:48am On Nov 25, 2012
k2039: John 1:1,It's obvious Jesus pre existed Mary.

so mary gave birth to a man wu isn't God abi? Dat means mary didnt give birth to Jesus because Jesus is both God and man!
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:51am On Nov 25, 2012
.bbpreye:

did any1 say she isn't human??
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:52am On Nov 25, 2012
k2039:
Mary is/was never the mother of God.
Yes,she was the mother of earthly Jesus,but God has no mother(it's blasphemous saying Mary is the mother of God)
unless u are saying Jesus isn't God!
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Enigma(m): 8:50am On Nov 25, 2012
Ubenedictus: Ofcuz mary gave birth to Jesus according to the flesh, catholic believe that, joshep is d father according to law (adoption), catholics believe that too! Mary isn't the originator of Jesus' divinity catholics believe that, Jesus exists eternally and is b4 mary, catholic believe that too! Jesus God the son, took human flesh in the womb of mary by the power of God and d working of the holyspirit, catholics believe that, and by taking flesh in mary's womb Jesus is both God and man (hypostatic union) catholics also believe that!
The last part is what follows, since Jesus wu is God took flesh and became Godman thru conception mary gave birth to Jesus who is both man and God. She didnt give birth to just a man, a man isn't Jesus, instead she gave birth to the word made flesh, God in human form.
Thus she is the mother of God.
Please note the statements above flows and an attempt to circumvent them will be illogical. The only way u can say mary isn't d mother of God is to claim like ijawkid and frosbel that Jesus isnt God.
If u go with ijawkid atleast u are free of hypocrisy, if u claim Jesus is God and mary isn't d mother of God then that is hypocrisy!

Quite well put. Although whether expressed as 'Theotokos' or 'Mother of God' the expression or concept needs to be understood in its proper context. Mary is human and Jesus is God and God is God. Mary was only the vessel chosen to be the bearer of God for the purpose of His incarnation --- not that Mary is the one who gave Jesus, God the Son, His 'origin' or for that matter who gave God the Father His 'origin'.

The need to understand the expression in context is similar to the need to understand The Holy Trinity in context; it is in part failure to understand The Holy Trinity in context that makes some people turn against the doctrine and come up with silly things like Jesus is an 'angel', Jesus is 'a god' or the most daft of all Jesus is 'just a man'.

On the other hand, the difficulty other Trinitarian believers have with Roman Catholics on this issue is the question of how far to take and appreciate the honour due to Mary; many do not believe in the idea of Mary as an intermediary, mediatrix etc.

cool
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by k2039: 8:50am On Nov 25, 2012
Ubenedictus: unless u are saying Jesus isn't God!
Ofcourse Jesus was never God

1 Like

Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by LilDonne(m): 12:57pm On Nov 25, 2012
Of Course. Mary is the mother of God n Jesus, cuz jesus is God accordin 2 d trinity. U haters, y was'nt ur grand mum picked 2 bear d saviour. Out of millions of virgins, the most high selected the blessed mary, d angels of God hails her xo as God. 'blessed is u amongst women, holy mary, mother of God' those ar d words of d God in form of holy spirit 2ru elizabeth. 'and d holy spirit spake through elizabeth' whether u like it or not, the truth is that WITHOUT MARY, YOU WOULDNT HAVE BEEN SAVED. She'z d pillar of OUR CHURCH.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by truthislight: 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2012
Enigma:
the difficulty other Trinitarian believers have with Roman Catholics on this issue is the question of how far to take and appreciate the honour due to Mary; many do not believe in the idea of Mary as an intermediary, mediatrix etc.

cool

you have stated the difficulty many people have with this mary issue, but i/we are interested in knowing what your own take is.

1. Do you also have that difficulties concerning her being a mediatrix ?

2. Are you home and dry with the act of using her as a mediatrix?

Please answer and choose clearly 1 or 2 of the options as to prevent ambiguity.

Hope you will not ignore this.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Enigma(m): 1:31pm On Nov 25, 2012
^^^ I do not believe in treating Mary as mediatrix.

I agree that honour is due to her and the Bible gives her this. See Luke 1:28 etc; also, look up something called The Magnificat.

cool
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by truthislight: 2:58pm On Nov 25, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ I do not believe in treating Mary as mediatrix.

I agree that honour is due to her and the Bible gives her this. See Luke 1:28 etc; also, look up something called The Magnificat.

cool

thanks for the clear answer.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by tintingz(m): 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2012
Hehehehehe! [size=13pt]Mary mother of God almighty?[/size] [size=17pt]blasphemy![/size]
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:04pm On Nov 25, 2012
k2039: Ofcourse Jesus was never God
and thou art entitled to thy opinion.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:08pm On Nov 25, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ I do not believe in treating Mary as mediatrix.

cool
not suprised, u reject the belief in the communion of saints so im not really suprised that u don't consider mary an intercessor.
Ur last paragraph i agree with.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by bbpreye2: 12:05am On Nov 26, 2012
Lil Donne: Of Course. Mary is the mother of God n Jesus, cuz jesus is God accordin 2 d trinity. U haters, y was'nt ur grand mum picked 2 bear d saviour. Out of millions of virgins, the most high selected the blessed mary, d angels of God hails her xo as God. 'blessed is u amongst women, holy mary, mother of God' those ar d words of d God in form of holy spirit 2ru elizabeth. 'and d holy spirit spake through elizabeth' whether u like it or not, the truth is that WITHOUT MARY, YOU WOULDNT HAVE BEEN SAVED. She'z d pillar of OUR CHURCH.

Ur saying without mary I would'nt have been saved? So ur trying to say its mary that saved me not my Lord and Saviour, Jesus?

I pity you!
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:21am On Nov 26, 2012
.bbpreye:

Ur saying without mary I would'nt have been saved? So ur trying to say its mary that saved me not my Lord and Saviour, Jesus?

I pity you!
she didnt say that, God "needed" to take flesh thru a woman, that was mary, no human medium no "d word was made flesh"
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Enigma(m): 8:38am On Nov 26, 2012
Ubenedictus: not suprised, u reject the belief in the communion of saints so im not really suprised that u don't consider mary an intercessor.
Ur last paragraph i agree with.

Where did I reject belief in the communion of saints?

cool
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:55pm On Nov 26, 2012
Enigma:

Where did I reject belief in the communion of saints?

cool
well it is here for all to see, all protestants reject d intercession of d saints in heaven, dat simply means u have rejected d communion of saints. Very simple, that is y u cant see mary as an intercessor.
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Enigma(m): 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2012
^^^ You are making a false accusation and, in any event, the point you are trying to make is really non sequitur.

cool
Re: Mother Of Jesus Or Earthly Mother Of Jesus? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
Enigma: ^^^ You are making a false accusation and, in any event, the point you are trying to make is really non sequitur.

cool
mayb it is, mayb it isn't. But yeah, u don't see mary as an intercessor. I bet i'm not mistaken. That is tantamont to rejecting d communion of saints.

(1) (Reply)

Dakar Mosque Decked In Christmas Lights. Can Such Happen In Nigeria? / Directives From Catholic Bishops Conference Of Nigeria Over The Spread Of Ebola / The Beast, His Name, His Number And His Mark.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.