Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,773 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:24 AM

Common Interview Questions And What They Mean - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Common Interview Questions And What They Mean (24721 Views)

All Job Interview Questions/answers Covered - Get The Free Ebook / Common Interview Questions And Answer Tips / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by Cuddlemii: 6:56am On Jul 07, 2012

FOR THE SALARY EXPECTATION QUESTION:

Never give a figure or salary range in an interview except you were pressured or compelled to.
The answer I always use is this, "Based on the industry, I am sure you are/your company is competitive. My priority is to gather experience and contribute to the company's blah blah blah blah" OR "industry standard"

Any good interviewer and HR person would commend you for answering wisely.

OTHER LIKELY QUESTIONS:

1) Explain a time when you excelled as part of a team:- They just want to know you are a team player (collective effort and good interactive skills)

2) Explain a time when you exhibited leadership qualities:- They want to know if you can live by example and motivate your colleagues

3) Explain a time you failed in your duties and how were you able to resolve it:- They want to know if you have perseverance and result oriented

4) Where do you see youself in 2/5/10 years?: Your goals and aspirations (If it will fit with theirs or improve it)

5) If you have an angry/frustrated customer/user, how would you handle the issue?- They want to know your personality, tolerance level and persuasive skills

6) What kind of Supervisor would you like to work with?- They want to know if you can work with the supervisors they have there or not

7) Do you function better independently or as part of a team- They want to know the pattern of your work or delivery.

cool What does empowerment mean to you?- If you think of the company as your own, you are liable to make sure it functions right. They want to know your entrepreneurial skill and risk taking skills to improve the company.

9) Define Customer Service in one sentence- Customers are the reason we do business. They want to know you have all the qualities to satisfy their wants, come back for more and refer others to your company's services.

10) How do you relieve stress/What do you do for fun?- [/b]The need to know they are dealing with humans and not robots. If your life outside work in not pleasant, your life at work would be cold. They need vibrant workers. Be realistic and don't use the I go to church or mosque or read the bible line.

[b]11) How many nibble are in a byte-
Tricky question. I was asked this, I didnt know the answer instead I started chewing/nibbling and got my interviewers laughing.

12) You have your manager, a customer and your friend on phone at the sametime. How would you handle that situation?-[/b]They just want to know how you prioritize in a work environment. The right answer is to inform you manager that you are handling a customer and would get back to him asap because a customer is top priority. After you have attended to the customer, you then return to your manager. Your friend is last on the list, you can chat some other time.

[b]13) I have interviewed several candidates today, tell me one good reason why I should pick you?-
They need you to sell yourself.

14) What do you know about the company?- They need to know you not just interviewing all over the place randomly. You are focused and mean business.
Research the company you are interviewing with, its history, mission statement,operations etc just incase you are asked about the company.

15) Why did you leave your former company? They need to know who they are hiring. Just to be sure you have no mental problem or have never been convicted of a crime that your slate in the labor market is clean

16) What didn't you like about your former manager?- Just to know how you function with your superiors. Not an avenue to start giving bad reports about your former manager. Its better you use constructive criticism to distract the question.

17) When you don't know the answer to something, what do you do?- Research and Google it(its the easiest way)

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by nkemmu(f): 7:38am On Jul 31, 2012
Nice one
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by irisblui: 2:13pm On May 22, 2013
VoodooDoll: Brain teaser questions:

As already commented above the trick here is to use approximations, also:

1) ask questions as the interviewer may give guidance;
2) make assumptions and announce them eg: the bus has a square shape and no seats or passengers and a length of x, width of y and height of z;
3) make assumptions about the golf ball;
4) let the interviewer know if you're making simple but useful assumptions eg: the golf balls are in the boxes they came in and each box holds 10 golf balls, each box is of length a, width b and height c; and
5) the key here is not your answer but the logical process and thinking steps that you demonstrate.

Best of luck.

Hi. Cld u pls help in answering A question like dis. I'v googled n googled n nothing rily came up. I'v had abt 2 unsuccessful interviews (customer service) bcz of dis ONE question: Explain a time in ur job when u worked in a team? Tell us abt a team project u worked on in ur past job? Pls rmbr to relate it wit a Customer Service role. Thanks
Re: Common Interview Questions And What They Mean by AMAgod(m): 12:23pm On Oct 21, 2014
Everything im this piece really helped me while I was on my way to the job am doing now...I was prolly ready for the interview. Thanks Mr Jarus

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / What Are The Things You've Learned The Hard Way? / A Graduate Of Ahmadu Bello University Has Resorted To Selling Of Woina.... Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.