Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon (16793 Views)

Enyeama Explains Row With Oliseh, May Quit Eagles / Keshi Cleared By FIFA Over Racist Comments / Greek Athlete Thrown Out Over Racist Tweet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by monkeyleg: 7:57am On Jun 28, 2012
Anti-racism campaigners have blasted a cartoon in an Italian newspaper depicting Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli as King Kong
The Italian forward is reported to be deeply unhappy at the cartoon and the Gazzetta dello Sport has apologised.

A spokesman for anti-discrimination group Kick It Out said: "Mario's very presence in the Italian team is symbolic on so many levels. The Italian media ought to champion this individual rather than singling him out as a scapegoat and somehow inferior to his international team-mates."

The drawing - published on the day of Italy's Euro 2012 meeting with England - showed Balotelli on top of Big Ben in a reference to King Kong on New York's Empire State Building. It has led to a number of complaints from readers prompting the newspaper to apologise.

A statement from Gazzetta read: "Some of our readers have protested regarding (Valerio) Marini's cartoon.

"Balotelli was depicted as King Kong. We can honestly say it was not among the best products of our talented cartoonist.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/race-row-over-balotelli-cartoon-103155578.html

1 Like

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by monkeyleg: 8:00am On Jun 28, 2012
Yet another go at Black people. I am just sick of this nonsense, even in 2012 we still have rubbish like this going on. We as a race need to get our act together and understand there is strength in number

4 Likes

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by damilola15: 1:05pm On Jun 28, 2012
It depends on the way you see it.
1. - King Kong dominating the British since Big Ben is synonymous with Britain.

2. - It is racist to depict a black person as a monkey/ape/gorilla/chipanzee (whatever).

My discerning mind sees it both ways.

1 Like

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 28, 2012
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by denitro(m): 3:50pm On Jul 01, 2012

7 Likes

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by supaeagles(m): 3:56pm On Jul 01, 2012
amazing talent, ghana's loss is italy's gain
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 01, 2012
Super Mario nothing do U joo, even though u're a naughty boy.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by valencia25(m): 4:02pm On Jul 01, 2012
Love watching this guy play

1 Like

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by BAMMZ(m): 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
Bùt i thot he was showing the world that he is black,bold and maybe a kingkung. That guy earned my respect by insisting ön being in italys squad and he proved himself so well. ALL HAIL KINGKUNG TELLI!
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Afam4eva(m): 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2012
That Italian newspaper should be banned immediately. This is not something to apologize over because it was a deliberate attempt to undermine Balotelli. That cartoon was explicit in personalizing him as King Kong.

1 Like

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by ololo12: 4:08pm On Jul 01, 2012
The cartoonist involve in this is stupid and a person!!!

Nothing do you my guy Balo Nwa mama!!!!

Go Ballo!!!!!
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by edicolove: 4:08pm On Jul 01, 2012
tonyfrenzy: Super Mario nothing do U joo, even though u're a naughty boy.

The problem with humans is there is never a balance. I have seen the cartton and don't see anything racist there. King kong is a dominating force, not a shameful representation. I can understand some people might be sensitive because of their environment but I think we might find ourselves taking some things too far. As much as racism exist, we must not get into paranoia. I don't think the Italian media after such a match would want to throw something racist at Balotelli. He was a hero that night. I just think the world in an attempt to leave one exreme is sliding into another extreme.

3 Likes

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Ronaldo200(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2012
Balotelli to score a hat trick today please!!! N

1 Like

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2012
He is a good player. So, maybe they are jealous. Don't just let them break your spirit Ghana man.

This should be a note to those who forgets their motherland and adopts a eurocentric lifestyle or view.

Bearing the name Silvio Bulosconi or whatever and claiming to be a patriotic Italian does nothing to appease these crackers. To them, you will always be a king kong or whatever name they choose to call you.

If you like make them born you for George Bush pocket or name your child Lord Lugard. You are still a chimp in their eyes.

It is high time our lost souls recognize that and start to put their acts together or forever be humilated and stripped of your dignity.

2 Likes

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by jpcomrade: 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2012
Mario is extraordinary in italian squad, i think nothing should be done by italians to make him feel unhappy, he has scored the best goal so far in this fiesta to fire the team to the final, he deserves to be celebrated,if pirlo cannot be cartooned in that manner obviously MARIO too does not deserve it,i think he should quit international football after this tournament.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by kosire(m): 4:15pm On Jul 01, 2012
Up my guy Mario. Show dem d stuff dat brought u into existence. U knw wot i mean nah. Jxt dnt mind d cartoon.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by SisiKill1: 4:16pm On Jul 01, 2012
What is even more disturbing is that this piece probably went through the whole publishing channels i.e copywriter to editor from junior editor to editor in chief etc and at no point during that process did anyone say. . ."Okay, this ain't right" undecided
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 01, 2012
edicolove:

The problem with humans is there is never a balance. I have seen the cartton and don't see anything racist there. King kong is a dominating force, not a shameful representation. I can understand some people might be sensitive because of their environment but I think we might find ourselves taking some things too far. As much as racism exist, we must not get into paranoia. I don't think the Italian media after such a match would want to throw something racist at Balotelli. He was a hero that night. I just think the world in an attempt to leave one exreme is sliding into another extreme.

You don't know the crackers with their fake smiles. They knew very well what they did. This is not the first time the guy has gone through this.

Crackers have a subtle way of sending you a message. They are very skilled at it.

2 Likes

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2012
To be sincere he looks so much APEish with that hair style.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by cold(m): 4:21pm On Jul 01, 2012
Racism will never go away,not even in the next millenia. So learn to live with it. You just have to develop tough skin or you'll continue to get yourself worked up
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Switup: 4:22pm On Jul 01, 2012
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed embarassed embarassedMario B@lotteli, king kong *shakin ma head* LHM(lawd Have Marcy) embarassedMario B@lotteli, king kong *shakin ma head* LHM(lawd Have Marcy)
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Siga: 4:31pm On Jul 01, 2012
Everyone is guilty of racism....within Nigeria...we have racist...Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo get am....even for your community....
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by edicolove: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2012
Olodostein:

You don't know the crackers with their fake smiles. They knew very well what they did. This is not the first time the guy has gone through this.

Crackers have a subtle way of sending you a message. They are very skilled at it.

Racism is not limited to whites. Anyone can be a racist. Trying to make racism a white thing I think is not right and won't end it. It is a human problem, not a white problem. The kind of "racism" you find here on NL is far terrible. The difference is that we have the same skin colour so we call it tribalism instead. But the same principle of "am more superior to you" applies.

1 Like

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by ACM10: 4:39pm On Jul 01, 2012
This is disgraceful angry angry angry angry angry They should be given lenghty ban and fined heavily to serve as a deterrent to others. Readers should pls boycot that racist newspaper
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by maclatunji: 4:39pm On Jul 01, 2012
That his second goal against Germany is perhaps the most clinical piece of finishing I have seen in a very long time.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by maclatunji: 4:42pm On Jul 01, 2012
Ronaldo200: Balotelli to score a hat trick today please!!! N

Spain are the best team in the world but Italy is a team you don't want to meet in any final, this might just end-up in a penalty shoot-out and no one knows how that will end.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by edicolove: 4:50pm On Jul 01, 2012
maclatunji:

Spain are the best team in the world but Italy is a team you don't want to meet in any final, this might just end-up in a penalty shoot-out and no one knows how that will end.

How are spain the best team in the world? Because fifa and the spain loving media say so? The are not even the fourth best team in this tournament. And they were not the best team in the last world cup with their scrappy 1:0 wins.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by stpat1(m): 4:51pm On Jul 01, 2012
racism cannot be erased. Its inborn. Don't southers refer to northerners as cows? Don't westerners call easterners omo nna? Don't easterners call westerners ofe mmanu?? The list is endless

1 Like

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Afam4eva(m): 4:52pm On Jul 01, 2012
Anyways, this is good for Balotelli because his best comes out when he is pissed off.
Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 01, 2012
edicolove:

Racism is not limited to whites. Anyone can be a racist. Trying to make racism a white thing I think is not right and won't end it. It is a human problem, not a white problem. The kind of "racism" you find here on NL is far terrible. The difference is that we have the same skin colour so we call it tribalism instead. But the same principle of "am more superior to you" applies.

I get your point. We may disagree as tribes which is natural and engage in healthy competition and heated debate. But I suppose we don't see or label a whole group of other tribe to be on par with animals.

I can find myself in the middle of a village of another tribe and won't be beaten to death because of where i come from. There is a high possibility that you could be crippled by venturing into an Italian village or some crackers town because you look different.

You don't know what that young man is going through. If you had been thrown bananas a number of times and the authorities turns a blind eye or give light punishment, then you would know what you are up against. Ask Samuel Eto too. If he were jewish, them jews will make sure the newspaper pay through their nose. But in our own case, everyone turns a blind eye and the madness continues.

If you wanna know how them crackers find this funny. Just go to any comment sections of newspaper that printed this story and read what average fake smiling cracker on the street thinks about you. It seems like it runs in their gene.

Besides, my black African brother can call me all sorts of names but let no damned cracker try it in my face or else will get Zidane's head butt.

3 Likes

Re: Row Over Racist Balotelli Cartoon by kiyosaki1(m): 5:03pm On Jul 01, 2012
KING KONG Balo WHY ALWAYS YOU ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria U20 Vs Mexico U20 - Toulon Intl Tournament (0 - 2) On 29th May 2013 / Bruno Fernandes Awarded Man United's Player Of The Year / WEEK 18 SURE Bankers Draw 3,13....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.