Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Your Take On Tribal Marks - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your Take On Tribal Marks (1901 Views)

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Take On Tribal Marks by superior1: 10:51am On Jun 30, 2012
I was born in the south west and given a 1-1 mark on my checks after 14 days. Atimes, i wonder what led my Grandpa to commiting such wickedness against me in the abscence of my parents (Fotunately for him, I never grew to know him).

Do you have tribal marks?
Can you allow it on your child?
How do you feel about tribal marks?

Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Ptolomeus(m): 5:11pm On Jul 03, 2012
What do you think of circumcision performed by Jews?
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 5:27pm On Jul 03, 2012
Tribal like I said is a Westernized word to put down indigenous groups in Africa and South America. Anyone who uses such a term is white-washed. That said, I am proud of people who choose to don ethnic marks. It shows their ethnic identity. Most ethnic groups in Africa do have ethnic marks whether it is on the face, arms, legs, etc.

1 Like

Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Ptolomeus(m): 6:54pm On Jul 03, 2012
Fulaman198: Tribal like I said is a Westernized word to put down indigenous groups in Africa and South America. Anyone who uses such a term is white-washed. That said, I am proud of people who choose to don ethnic marks. It shows their ethnic identity. Most ethnic groups in Africa do have ethnic marks whether it is on the face, arms, legs, etc.

Excellent answer.

Best regards!
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 8:44pm On Jul 03, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Excellent answer.

Best regards!

Thank you very much, best regards to you as well sir
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by ifyalways(f): 12:49pm On Jul 04, 2012
An adult deciding to go for tribal marks is same as an adult that went and got tattooed.
Giving tribal marks to a child ? I don't really subscribe though.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Ptolomeus(m): 4:28pm On Jul 04, 2012
ifyalways: An adult deciding to go for tribal marks is same as an adult that went and got tattooed.
Giving tribal marks to a child ? I don't really subscribe though.

Dear friend:
It's true what you say. Perhaps that sort of thing should be done to adulthood. But we all know that this is a time to be done.
Paradoxically, I have not heard criticism of circumcision practiced by Jews, nor the baptism of Christians.
Circumcision can be considered a mutilation, the circumcision Jewish and both Christian baptism, "make" to religious life to a child without the use of reason.
But anyway, I understand that your comments (in this context) is valid.
A respectful greeting.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by JallowBah(f): 5:53pm On Jul 04, 2012
I choosed to get marks, tattooed that is, on my face to show my husband how much I respect and love his culture.

If my daughter wants to get facial things done, she will have to wait until she is 16years, and knows exactly what she is going into. She is dark, but light enough that people will notice it fast, and in Europe, people look these things in a bad way. For me? Beauty, showing the world where you "belong".

I know many do this even to small, small babies, and I have to say I am not quite sure what I think..it makes me sad that you seem to feel bitterness for having this marks, instead of a feeling of proudness ( is that even a word? I`m not english.. ) of them.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 10:12pm On Jul 04, 2012
JallowBah: I choosed to get marks, tattooed that is, on my face to show my husband how much I respect and love his culture.

If my daughter wants to get facial things done, she will have to wait until she is 16years, and knows exactly what she is going into. She is dark, but light enough that people will notice it fast, and in Europe, people look these things in a bad way. For me? Beauty, showing the world where you "belong".

I know many do this even to small, small babies, and I have to say I am not quite sure what I think..it makes me sad that you seem to feel bitterness for having this marks, instead of a feeling of proudness ( is that even a word? I`m not english.. ) of them.

You are a Fulani judging by your name. I am proud of you for doing so, Finatawa ko finatawa, Allah hokke ma pullo debbo.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by JallowBah(f): 10:46pm On Jul 04, 2012
Fulaman198:

You are a Fulani judging by your name. I am proud of you for doing so, Finatawa ko finatawa, Allah hokke ma pullo debbo.

Eyh, min ko pullo. Min ko mi danedjo.

wink
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Ybutterfly: 10:03pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^^^^^uGly^^^^^^^^
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
JallowBah:

Eyh, min ko pullo. Min ko mi danedjo.

wink

Toy yudon? (I mean originally) min em lesdi Najeria
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by tobechi74: 11:35pm On Jul 05, 2012
Am ibo. My tribe dont gve tribal mike so i wont prescribe it to anyone.

I hate some tribal marks especialy wen its harsly done and 3 on each cheek coverin the face looking like a tiger

but i met dis gal. Her tribal marks added to her beauty. Gentle strokes.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 11:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
tobechi74: Am ibo. My tribe dont gve tribal mike so i wont prescribe it to anyone.

I hate some tribal marks especialy wen its harsly done and 3 on each cheek coverin the face looking like a tiger

but i met dis gal. Her tribal marks added to her beauty. Gentle strokes.

I think I would get some if I were not living in Western world, Westerners don't understand meaning of it, they treat everything traditional as if it is joke
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 05, 2012
grin grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Ptolomeus(m): 5:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
Fulaman198:

I think I would get some if I were not living in Western world, Westerners don't understand meaning of it, they treat everything traditional as if it is joke

Exactly.
I am a foreigner, living in South America, and I agree with you.
But do not forget that vision that foreigners have on some African traditions are the result of ignorance of the foreigners, and not the fault of Africans.
In my country we have traditions that many Africans may seem ridiculous to them ... but they are not.
We can not determine our actions, to the point of view of foreigners.
I send my best wishes, dear friend!

1 Like

Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by JallowBah(f): 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2012
Fulaman198:

Toy yudon? (I mean originally) min em lesdi Najeria

Well, I said I am white..wink I speak the language( Me nani seda pullo.. ), I have had fulani-blood running in my vains for 9months, and I probably know more about the culture than many fulani who grow up in Europe.
You tell me..
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by JallowBah(f): 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
Fulaman198:

Both yes and no.
It seems to me, in Norway that is, that people don`t think too much about it when it comes to black skin, and there are small cuts ( aka 1-3 1cm long cuts ) on cheeks, or one singel, tattooed line on the forehead. on arabic people, on the other hand, you notice it much more.

For many europeans its not a joke, but exotic? Yes.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by 2mch(m): 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2012
Beautiful. tongue
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Abagworo(m): 8:02pm On Jul 06, 2012
Its a very good culture that we Africans are killing. Even tatoos have been re-branded by Oyibo and we are now seeing it as a borrowed culture while it originated from here.

1 Like

Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by superior1: 5:26am On Jul 07, 2012
I still feel giving a defenseless minor marks to carry for the rest of his life is noting but barbaric. I prefer being the one making the choice. I cant for example even think of such being done to my daughters. Besides tribal mark is for recognition, the world seems to have gone beyond that stage now by ID card can do the job now
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by kengis: 9:44pm On Jul 07, 2012
Abagworo: Its a very good culture that we Africans are killing. Even tatoos have been re-branded by Oyibo and we are now seeing it as a borrowed culture while it originated from here.
well said !
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 2:16am On Jul 08, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Exactly.
I am a foreigner, living in South America, and I agree with you.
But do not forget that vision that foreigners have on some African traditions are the result of ignorance of the foreigners, and not the fault of Africans.
In my country we have traditions that many Africans may seem ridiculous to them ... but they are not.
We can not determine our actions, to the point of view of foreigners.
I send my best wishes, dear friend!

wow Ptolomeus I am really appreciative of you, you as a Westerner understand, I thank you for it. I would not be able to get a job in the West with true traditional Fula(ni) marks, I would love to have them permanently. I am a village man after all.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 2:17am On Jul 08, 2012
JallowBah:

Well, I said I am white..wink I speak the language( Me nani seda pullo.. ), I have had fulani-blood running in my vains for 9months, and I probably know more about the culture than many fulani who grow up in Europe.
You tell me..

lol you said that wrong, It is Mi nani fulfulde seyda or Mi nani Pular seyda (I speak little Fulfulde/Pular). Pullo is a Fulani person, Fulfulde and Pular are the names of the language from the different regions. I am proud of you for marrying a Fulani man though, I don't care if you are white, you are more than welcome here.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by JallowBah(f): 11:31am On Jul 08, 2012
Fulaman198:

lol you said that wrong, It is Mi nani fulfulde seyda or Mi nani Pular seyda (I speak little Fulfulde/Pular). Pullo is a Fulani person, Fulfulde and Pular are the names of the language from the different regions. I am proud of you for marrying a Fulani man though, I don't care if you are white, you are more than welcome here.

I know this, but I talk the way they do in Gambia/Senegal. They always ask anani pullo, I guess its dialect. Some of them say pula or pular.
And they do say me nani seda pullo, with seda in front of pullo/pular/fulfulde. I don`t know where your husband is from? Only in Gambia they have 3-4 different ways of talking fulani..
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by JallowBah(f): 11:33am On Jul 08, 2012
Fulaman198:

wow Ptolomeus I am really appreciative of you, you as a Westerner understand, I thank you for it. I would not be able to get a job in the West with true traditional Fula(ni) marks, I would love to have them permanently. I am a village man after all.

Then get them!
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by tpia5: 12:24pm On Jul 08, 2012
Dont know about the culture elsewhere, but in nigeria the town fulani do not get those marks.

Its usually the nomadic tribes who do.
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Ptolomeus(m): 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2012
Fulaman198:

Who is grateful am I, dear friend.
Thanks to technology we can exchange information, as well known cultured and educated people like you.
I am a student of African traditions, especially the Yoruba, but I have some understanding of the Fulani, a wonderful people of ancient traditions.
I congratulate you for being part of that wonderful people!
Consider me your friend!

1 Like

Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 8:48pm On Jul 09, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Who is grateful am I, dear friend.
Thanks to technology we can exchange information, as well known cultured and educated people like you.
I am a student of African traditions, especially the Yoruba, but I have some understanding of the Fulani, a wonderful people of ancient traditions.
I congratulate you for being part of that wonderful people!
Consider me your friend!

Thank you, you are my friend
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Fulaman198(m): 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2012
tpia@:
Dont know about the culture elsewhere, but in nigeria the town fulani do not get those marks.

Its usually the nomadic tribes who do.

Town Fulani are Hausanized
Re: Your Take On Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:55am On Sep 30, 2012
I've no beef with them.
Some are unattractive to me, but it's about culture and I am all for culture preservation so...I'm for it. smiley

As long as it is sanitary and performed in a humane fashion.

(1) (Reply)

4 Amazing Things About Igbo Traditional Marriages. / #blacklivesmatter: Twitter On Fire Over Killing Of Blacks / Igwe Nnewi Is 96-year-old Happy Birthday To The Longest Serving King In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.