Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

I Need To Know Something - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / I Need To Know Something (1380 Views)

Islam for muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need To Know Something by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 30, 2012
Some of the Muslim boys in my school were having a discussion on circumcision and I was reading close by so I overheard them.
The circumcision I am referring to in this case is Female circuncision or FGM to put it more correctly.
One of the boys was trying to proove that it was a Muslim thing and defended it by saying some things like it reduces promiscuity and bla bla bla and his companions at first expressed their disapproval of such a thing and then just kept mute because they didn't know the truth and deep inside they didn't think it is recommended in Islam to begin with.
I have only heard of male circuncision and I seriously doubt that there is anything like FGM in Islam but you guys should help me confirm this.
Anyone who has certain info in the issue.
Is there anything like FGM in Islam?
Thanks.

The wahabi and shia opinions are both welcome. tongue tongue tongue
Re: I Need To Know Something by LagosShia: 1:47pm On Jun 30, 2012

Fatma: When the subject of female circumcision is addressed, the word “Islam” is often succeeded. Is there any association between Islam and female circumcision?

Sayyid: There is no association between Islam and female circumcision. Female circumcision may commonly be practiced by some African societies. The fact that those who practice female circumcision may be Muslims, does not justify concluding that it is based on Islamic rituals or practices.
http://www.al-islam.org/wii-persp-edt2/8.htm

and also here is another excerpt:

Finally, I will briefly mention male and female circumcision. Circumcision for Muslim males is enjoined for cleanliness and for the same reasons it is enjoined among Christians and Jews. Some Muslims also practice female circumcision in a variety of forms. There is a lot of debate as to whether this is an Islamic or cultural practice. There is no reference to the Prophet (saw) advising circumcision of women or of its practice among his family.

There is a hadith of the Prophet (saw) that mentions female circumcision, but I am not qualified to judge its authenticity and reports I have read cast serious doubt on its authenticity. Assuming it is authentic, for the sake of argument, this hadith tells believers that if they do practice female circumcision they must only remove a very small amount of foreskin. In any case, it is clear that removal of sexual organs, sewing up the woman to ensure virginity, and performing the procedure with unsterile equipment and lack of medical training are all not approved of in Islam and rather are considered as evil practices.
http://www.al-islam.org/reflectionsnewmuslim/4.htm
Re: I Need To Know Something by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 30, 2012
Thanks a lot bro.
So lagosshia, what do you think? Is it allowed or not? Because you posted two quotes that kind of contradicted each other.
Re: I Need To Know Something by LagosShia: 2:05pm On Jun 30, 2012
there is no contradiction in the two passages i presented.the opinions are saying the same thing;that is a practice does not become Islamic simply because Muslims practice it.there is no basis to say it is an islamic practice and there is debate whether it is an Islamic or cultural practice.

from my view,if female circumcission causes harm and inflict injuries or oppresses the female and also it is something condemnable then it is haram.but if it is a cultural practice that does no harm or damage but symbolic and to promote chastity or virginity (i don't know how that works),then there is no harm.i think you should speak to a learned muslim woman and especialy one that have undergone the practice.i have limited knowledge in this sphere.i have no experience in it.
Re: I Need To Know Something by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 30, 2012
LagosShia: there is no contradiction in the two passages i presented.the opinions are saying the same thing;

Ok, this was why I said they were kind of contradicting,

Sayyid: There is no association between Islam and female circumcision. Female circumcision may commonly be practiced by some African societies. The fact that those who practice female circumcision may be Muslims, does not justify concluding that it is based on Islamic rituals or practices.

There is a hadith of the Prophet (saw) that mentions female circumcision, but I am not qualified to judge its authenticity and reports I have read cast serious doubt on its authenticity. Assuming it is authentic, for the sake of argument, this hadith tells believers that if they do practice female circumcision they must only remove a very small amount of foreskin.

But thank you soooooo much for taking time to explain.

LagosShia:
from my view,if female circumcission causes harm and inflict injuries or oppresses the female and also it is something condemnable then it is haram.but if it is a cultural practice that does no harm or damage but symbolic and to promote chastity or virginity (i don't know how that works),then there is no harm.i think you should speak to a learned muslim woman and especialy one that have undergone the practice.i have limited knowledge in this sphere.i have no experience in it.

But I don't know any learned Muslim woman that has undergone the practice. . . . .
And asking the learned Muslim women I know if they've undergone it would be kind of awkward . . . . . . sad sad sad
Re: I Need To Know Something by LagosShia: 2:32pm On Jun 30, 2012
i said there is no contradiction because the hadith mentioned is said to be unauthentic.
Re: I Need To Know Something by maclatunji: 3:40pm On Jun 30, 2012
There is nowhere where it is said to be compulsory for FGC to be done. If you are convinced that it is harmful for the woman, don't do it. As far as I am concerned, just avoid doubt and let the girls be. Read these links:

http://www.islamicity.com/qa/action.lasso.asp?-db=services&-lay=Ask&-op=eq&number=7395&-format=detailpop.shtml&-find

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/438/
Re: I Need To Know Something by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 30, 2012
Thank you maclatunji.
Maclatunji, Are you wahabi or salafi?
I know you are not shia?

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: I Need To Know Something by maclatunji: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2012
fellis: Thank you maclatunji.
Maclatunji, Are you wahabi or salafi?
I know you are not shia?

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If not that I know you are clean (at heart), I would have banned you for 30 minutes for that question. I am a Muslim and don't do sects. The Islam the Prophet (SAW) brought and taught is still here and I follow that. I respect his companions and learn from them across board.

1 Like

Re: I Need To Know Something by Cheers01: 4:54pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

If not that I know you are clean (at heart), I would have banned you for 30 minutes for that question. I am a Muslim and don't do sects. The Islam the Prophet (SAW) brought and taught is still here and I follow that. I respect his companions and learn from them across board.

What is with your sadistic humor? Is this a power trip?

How can you seriously joke about banning someone for 30 mins for just asking a question? I fear you. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

As for fellis being clean at heart, do you believe that she doesnt know that female circumcision is not mainstream islam? Even I know that as a non-muslim. Fellis is just acting innocent.
Re: I Need To Know Something by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

What?
Just for that? Why would you have considered banning me at all? I don't understand.
I didn't have any bad intentions when I asked that question, walahi, and I even added smileys to the post so you would see that I didn't mean any harm, but it seems our ideas of humour are very different from each other.
I apologise, maclatunji.
Henceforth I will not try to crack any more jokes with you.

Cheers01:

As for fellis being clean at heart, do you believe that she doesnt know that female circumcision is not mainstream islam? Even I know that as a non-muslim. Fellis is just acting innocent.

I had never heard of anything regarding FGM in Islam, whether it is good or bad.
The conversation those boys in my original post were having, coupled with the fact that a pamphlet was shared to the Muslim females in my school, that pamphlet contained a Hadith about FGM, it said something about FGM brightening the face of the woman or something like that. These things made me unsure and I had to ask again to confirm. That is also true, walahi.

I could have googled the question to find out the answer but there are so many anti-Islamic sites run by enemies of Islam so I came here to ask instead because I was sure to get answers from Muslims here.
But what I got was to be accused of being an actress and to be threatened with a ban.
Re: I Need To Know Something by Cheers01: 6:14pm On Jun 30, 2012
fellis:

I had never heard of anything regarding FGM in Islam, whether it is good or bad.
The conversation those boys in my original post were having, coupled with the fact that a pamphlet was shared to the Muslim females in my school, that pamphlet contained a Hadith about FGM, it said something about FGM brightening the face of the woman or something like that. These things made me unsure and I had to ask again to confirm. That is also true, walahi.

I could have googled the question to find out the answer but there are so many anti-Islamic sites run by enemies of Islam so I came here to ask instead because I was sure to get answers from Muslims here.
But what I got was to be accused of being an actress and to be threatened with a ban.

Lol. What is the difference between you and christian sheep that run to their pastors for answers instead of finding out for themselves?

Sorry, I dont believe you.

But you now believe me when I say that Maclatunji is quite strict and on a power trip
Re: I Need To Know Something by maclatunji: 7:37pm On Jun 30, 2012
fellis:

What?
Just for that? Why would you have considered banning me at all? I don't understand.
I didn't have any bad intentions when I asked that question, walahi, and I even added smileys to the post so you would see that I didn't mean any harm, but it seems our ideas of humour are very different from each other.
I apologise, maclatunji.
Henceforth I will not try to crack any more jokes with you.

Awwwww relax sweetheart, I was joking too. The minimum I can ban you for is 1 hour that will let you know that 'banning you for 30 minutes' is a joke. You cracked a joke and I returned with a joke- now you are angry.

Don't fret, you will find me easy to relate with soon enough. We are cool now, abi?
Re: I Need To Know Something by maclatunji: 7:43pm On Jun 30, 2012
Cheers01:

Lol. What is the difference between you and christian sheep that run to their pastors for answers instead of finding out for themselves?

Sorry, I dont believe you.

But you now believe me when I say that Maclatunji is quite strict and on a power trip

Now, you I am not joking with. I guess there has to be someone like you here. I will let my mind work on the best way to relate with you and come up with quite an appropriate course of action.

Just keep your campaign to yourself and you will be okay most of the time.
Re: I Need To Know Something by Cheers01: 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

Now, you I am not joking with. I guess there has to be someone like you here. I will let my mind work on the best way to relate with you and come up with quite an appropriate course of action.

Just keep your campaign to yourself and you will be okay most of the time.

Yes sir

Re: I Need To Know Something by Cheers01: 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

Awwwww relax sweetheart, I was joking too. The minimum I can ban you for is 1 hour that will let you know that 'banning you for 30 minutes' is a joke. You cracked a joke and I returned with a joke- now you are angry.

Don't fret, you will find me easy to relate with soon enough. We are cool now, abi?

Are you talking to your girlfriend? See this funky dude. This is shameless pandering! grin grin
Re: I Need To Know Something by maclatunji: 8:17pm On Jun 30, 2012
Cheers01:

Are you talking to your girlfriend? See this funky dude. This is shameless pandering! grin grin

It is being nice to a young lady who is upset by my post. It is only a grouch that would feel comfortable with a lady being upset with him. You have really been trying hard to make me look like a dictator. That's not true of course, I am simply firm but soft at heart at the same time.
Re: I Need To Know Something by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

Awwwww relax [size=15pt]sweetheart[/size], I was joking too.
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

maclatunji:
The minimum I can ban you for is 1 hour that will let you know that 'banning you for 30 minutes' is a joke. You cracked a joke and I returned with a joke- now you are angry.

I am not angry jare, it's all good. smiley
Phew! Good thing we settled that.
I guess I just freaked out because I am not used to you yet.
Re: I Need To Know Something by LagosShia: 9:03pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

na lie!!!and if you feel no one can oppose you or argue with you,then feel free to ban me again.but the truth will always be said.

-what do you call someone who honors yazid? wahhabi aka salafist!

-what do you call someone who says tawassul found in the Quran leads to shirk and is forbidden? wahhabi aka salafist!

-what do you call someone who covers up for wahhabi terrorism?wahhabi aka salafist!

perhaps i could go on if i review some threads to get facts that can implicate Mac.those two points are enough to cast doubt upon your claim that you're simply Muslim.a Muslim does not hold those views.holding un-islamic views makes you a sect.we claiming to be Shia only see ourselves as preserving true Islam and being purely Muslim.
Re: I Need To Know Something by maclatunji: 9:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
^I think it is time that we held prayers for LagosShia whose need to have Wahabi/Salafist enemies is consuming his time and thoughts rather unhealthily. Let us show some love and put him in our prayers.
Re: I Need To Know Something by tbaba1234: 9:32pm On Jun 30, 2012
@fellis

First of all, there is no such thing as 'wahabi' (na adhu bi llah). Al-Wahab is one of the names of Allah. Using Allah's name as a derogatory term is disgraceful to say the least. Unfortunately, the shia see no problem with this. May Allah have mercy on us.

The name given to us is Muslim, not shia or sunni... I do feel that some of the shia ideology and beliefs are severely flawed but that is a discussion for another day.

On the topic, Only male circumcision is mandatory in Islam, female circumcision is not.
Re: I Need To Know Something by LagosShia: 9:53pm On Jun 30, 2012
tbaba1234: @fellis

First of all, there is no such thing as 'wahabi' (na adhu bi llah). Al-Wahab is one of the names of Allah. Using Allah's name as a derogatory term is disgraceful to say the least. Unfortunately, the shia see no problem with this. May Allah have mercy on us.

The name given to us is Muslim, not shia or sunni... I do feel that some of the shia ideology and beliefs are severely flawed but that is a discussion for another day.

On the topic, Only male circumcision is mandatory in Islam, female circumcision is not.

Abeg,stop being deceptive.leave Almighty Allah out of this.you know "wahhabi" refers to followers of the man called Ibn Abdul-Wahhab.

the name given to us is Muslim.true.but is that what we are discussing here? is it names and name-calling we are discussing? the Prophet (sa) also referred to the loyalists of the first Imam,Imam Ali (as) as "Shi'at Ali".

you keep talking about "flaws".why dont we (only me and you in one thread) under the supervision of Mac Daddy hold a debate?i am looking forward to that.

PS:Shia can also describe themselves as "alawiyyun" (derived from the word "Ali"wink which means "alawite" figuratively (not to be mistaken for the Syrian alawites literally)."Ali" is also one of the asma-ul-husna (name of Allah s.w.t.).we are not ashame of that.so why is wahhabi derogatory? are you ashamed of your leader,Ibn Abdul-Wahhab?
Re: I Need To Know Something by LagosShia: 9:58pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji: ^I think it is time that we held prayers for LagosShia whose need to have Wahabi/Salafist enemies is consuming his time and thoughts rather unhealthily. Let us show some love and put him in our prayers.

i would appreciate all the prayers of my Muslim brothers.

however,as a piece of advice,do not be like Iblis.when the news came to the angels that one among their ranks would disobey Allah (swt) and fall short of God's favor and grace,the angels were all terrified.only Iblis was confident.his reply to the angels was:"I will pray for you".and you know what happened and who was disobedient and fell of short of God's grace.
Re: I Need To Know Something by Cheers01: 10:12pm On Jun 30, 2012
maclatunji:

Stop pandering and do your job!

Answer my question in the complaints section! Where is my thread?
Re: I Need To Know Something by tbaba1234: 11:38pm On Jun 30, 2012
LagosShia:

Abeg,stop being deceptive.leave Almighty Allah out of this.you know "wahhabi" refers to followers of the man called Ibn Abdul-Wahhab.

the name given to us is Muslim.true.but is that what we are discussing here? is it names and name-calling we are discussing? the Prophet (sa) also referred to the loyalists of the first Imam,Imam Ali (as) as "Shi'at Ali".

you keep talking about "flaws".why dont we (only me and you in one thread) under the supervision of Mac Daddy hold a debate?i am looking forward to that.

When you use the word 'wahabi', you use it in the context of insulting a certain group of muslims. That is what is unacceptable. Definitely another term can be coined for those you refer to.

I do not like where those discussions go, you guys always end up insulting someone... or it ends up being circular.

Right now, my focus is propagating Islam and passing the message.

1 Like

Re: I Need To Know Something by LagosShia: 12:24am On Jul 01, 2012
^
you are expressing opinion.if you cannot defend your opinion,then spare us.

(1) (Reply)

Qur'an: The Iron(57) / I Want Somebody To Help Me With Istikhara / Is Contraception Allowed In Islam???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.