Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,123 members, 7,953,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:59 PM

Our Own Yakubu Joins Drogba And Anelka At China - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Our Own Yakubu Joins Drogba And Anelka At China (879 Views)

Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar / Drogba And Toure, Who Should Be African Footballer Of The Year? (Poll) / Didier Drogba And Christiano Ronaldo Hot Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Own Yakubu Joins Drogba And Anelka At China by canadaik(m): 4:05am On Jul 01, 2012
BLACKBURN and Nigerian striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, is set to complete his move to Guangzhou R&F anytime from now, a top official of the Chinese Super League side said yesterday.

"The deal is almost done as he has passed his physical examination. We will make official announcement in days," vice president of the Chinese side, Lu Yi told Xinhua.

Yakubu, 29, arrived in Guangzhou on Monday night to finalise the proceedings of his transfer.

The Nigerian international admitted that he knew little about the Chinese league, saying that former Chelsea duo of Nicolas Anelka and Diedier Drogba played a part in his decision to come to China.

"To be frank, I hadn't watched a single game of Chinese league in England, but recently it has been a hot topic since the acquisition of Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba," Yakubu said.

"Some clubs in West Asia has offered me an even bigger deal than Guangzhou, but I noticed more and more high profile players are joining China. This has given me confidence," he added.

Less famous than the former Chelsea duo, Yakubu has been prolific as well. He scored 114 goals in 10 years in English leagues since he joined Portsmouth in 2002. He has been a regular for the Super Eagles since 2000 and scored 21 goals in 54 appearances.

Yakubu said that he is confident to become the top scorer of the Chinese Super League although this season is halfway.

"I will score at least 15 goals for the club, even though I only got 15-20 games to play this season," he said.

Guangzhou R&F is currently fourth on the Chinese Super League table. The club was reported to offer the Nigerian a yearly salary of 5 million Euros plus a bonus based on performance. But the club refused to comment on the report.

"The most important thing is that Yakubu has been our first choice, we believe he can be more successful than Drogba in China," Lu said.

Hilarious, our "best striker alive" is going to be the highest paid Nigerian player

(1) (Reply)

Team Nigeria Wins 1st African Youth Athletic Championships "Warri 2013" / Twitter Reacts As Manchester United And Chelsea Played Out A Goaless Draw / Ghana Vs Egypt Tommorrow At 5PM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.