Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Malian Shrines Destroyed - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Malian Shrines Destroyed (595 Views)

Pastor Emma Of Mountain Of Prayers, Sapele Has His Properties Destroyed / Sex Destroyed Me; Took Away My Luck. I Need Help / Nigerian Secularity: Traditionalists Deserve National Holidays, National Shrines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Malian Shrines Destroyed by PastorAIO: 11:21am On Jul 01, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhaR3M09Yes

A hardline religious group occupying northern Mali has destroyed 15th-century mausoleums of Sufi Muslim saints in Timbuktu and have threatened to demolish the remaining 13 UNESCO world heritage sites in the fabled city, witnesses have said.

The attack by Ansar Dine group on Friday came just four days after UNESCO placed Timbuktu on its list of heritage sites in danger after the seizure of its northern two-thirds in April by rebels.

"They have already completely destroyed the mausoleum of Sidi Mahmoud (Ben Amar) and two others. They said they would continue all day and destroy all 16," Yeya Tandina, a local Malian journalist, said by telephone.

"They are armed and have surrounded the sites with pick-up trucks. The population is just looking on helplessly," he said, adding that the Islamists were currently taking pick-axes to the mausoleum of Sidi El Mokhtar, another cherished local saint.

"It looks as if it is a direct reaction to the UNESCO decision," Timbuktu deputy Sandy Haidara said by telephone, confirming the attacks.

The Islamist Ansar Dine group backs strict sharia, Islamic law, and considers the shrines of the local Sufi version of Islam idolatrous.

"Ansar Dine will today destroy every mausoleum in the city. All of them, without exception," Sanda Ould Boumama, the group’s spokesman, told AFP news agency through an interpreter from the city.

"God is unique. All of this is haram (or forbidden in Islam). We are all Muslims. UNESCO is what?" he said, declaring that Ansar Dine was acting "in the name of God".

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/06/2012630101748795606.html#.T-9Wz-PVzu4.facebook

(1) (Reply)

Igbos Are Non-compatible With Islam... Simple / Pastor Laments: Rich Church Members ‘snatched’ My Wife / Pope Benedict XVI Places The Middle East Under The Maternal Care Of “mother Mary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.