Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

African Languages As Official In Government - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Languages As Official In Government (2940 Views)

African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. / Learning African Languages / European Languages Are Killing African Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 4:29pm On Jul 02, 2012
I am a AA and i here things like "we live in a globalized Village", "African languages don't have a lot of speaks", and "There are too many languages" and other stupid things like that about language policy in Africa. now as an American English is more or less "Official" in the nation but they also translate stuff in other languages like Spanish. but now on to Africa since most borders were made by Europe there is a language problem. the only nations that don't have colonial are Ethiopia, Somalia, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco but nobody cares about the Arabs/Berbers so moving along. as for nations with both colonial and native languages as working languages as interesting because the colonial dominates the native for example South Africa has 11 Official languages(Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tswana, Tsonga, Venda, Xhosa, and Zulu) and the dominate language is English and it was spoken by only 8.2%(year 2001), were Zulu is 23.8%. here is a link about South Africa's Problem
http://www.economist.com/node/17963285/

i will type more soon so stay toon grin
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by emofine2(f): 8:05pm On Jul 02, 2012
TerryCarr: I....."African languages don't have a lot of speaks", and "There are too many languages" and other stupid things like that about language policy in Africa...... the only nations that don't have colonial are Ethiopia, Somalia, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco but nobody cares about the Arabs/Berbers so moving along.

Lol embarassed
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 6:47pm On Jul 03, 2012
Lets take a look at Indonesia and Nigeria, like Nigeria it has colonial borders with a big population and a lot of languages. Nigeria has about 521 languages were Indonesia has about 742. now here where the things get fun. yes English is the language of trade but does it need the be Official? because Indonesia Official language is Indonesian(a version of Malay) and Indonesia is doing better than Nigeria. Cambodia and Niger were french colonies but one speaks Khmer and the other speaks French. why is this? Neo colonialism, Tribalism, or are African Languages not worth it? why can't the Nigeria's "national languages" be official with English

feel free to post
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 10:24am On Jul 28, 2012
Interesting...that the only subsharan africans who have their ethnic langauge as their national language is Ethiopia, and SOMALIA...

another reason why we are superior...

SOMALIS ARE NOT ARABS OR BERBERS BY THE WAY....WE ARE SOMALI. THATS OUR ETHNICITY...ETHIOPIANS HAVE 80 ETHINICITIES.
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by anonymous6(f): 12:23pm On Jul 28, 2012
TerryCarr: Lets take a look at Indonesia and Nigeria, like Nigeria it has colonial borders with a big population and a lot of languages. Nigeria has about 521 languages were Indonesia has about 742. now here where the things get fun. yes English is the language of trade but does it need the be Official? because Indonesia Official language is Indonesian(a version of Malay) and Indonesia is doing better than Nigeria. Cambodia and Niger were french colonies but one speaks Khmer and the other speaks French. why is this? Neo colonialism, Tribalism, or are African Languages not worth it? why can't the Nigeria's "national languages" be official with English

feel free to post

because it is not possible because of trade and if it is that mean one language in Nigeria has to take the top seat and that will bread tribalism, which won't make things better. Each region will not care to learn english which will make it more difficult for tribes to communicate with each other besides pigeon english to a extent in certain regions. However in Hausaland, many speak their native language completely over English, that federal is 50/50 with them there and in Yorubaland, they communicate in yoruba amongst themselves unless the person is non-yoruba, and in the east pigeon english supercedes there. So that Federal law that makes English a official language, well id doesn't pass trade as you mentioned.

Lastly the official language in Lagos State is Yoruba: http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/21351-lagos-house-adopts-yoruba-official-language.html
http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-books-art-culture/25586-lagos-assembly-use-yoruba-official-language.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TalkNigeria/message/45986?var=1
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by anonymous6(f): 12:26pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123: Interesting...that the only subsharan africans who have their ethnic langauge as their national language is Ethiopia, and SOMALIA...

SOMALIS ARE NOT ARABS OR BERBERS BY THE WAY....WE ARE SOMALI. THATS OUR ETHNICITY...ETHIOPIANS HAVE 80 ETHINICITIES.

Somalia is at war and has been since the 90's: "The Somali Civil War is an ongoing civil war taking place in Somalia. It began in 1991, when a coalition of clan-based armed opposition groups ousted the nation's long-standing military government."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Somalia_%282009%E2%80%93present%29

So I guess you need to rethink that thinking

Also their are Arab mixed race people in Somalia
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 5:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123: Interesting...that the only subsharan africans who have their ethnic langauge as their national language is Ethiopia, and SOMALIA...

Somalia and Ethiopia are only to countries with a non European language this is true but don't forget capitalism is taking over the world and with capitalism comes westernization
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 6:51pm On Jul 28, 2012
we dont give up our language just cause capitalism...

we may kno another language but we will never give up our language.

somalis have been trading with arabs, persians, indonesians, asians and ancient egyptians....we still got our language
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 7:13pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123: we dont give up our language just cause capitalism...

we may kno another language but we will never give up our language.

somalis have been trading with arabs, persians, indonesians, asians and ancient egyptians....we still got our language
im not saying you would but English is very aggressive it will slowly take control
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 7:18pm On Jul 28, 2012
Why does it matter.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

99 percent of West Africans also speak their ethnic languages.

grin

I don't see the big deal in using a language like English as ones official language since it is a world language now...
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 7:23pm On Jul 28, 2012

Everything about you suggest you are inferior! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

What important advancement has come out of language in this region?? grin grin grin grin It is the poorest and most failed in all of Africa!!!

Listen Bugs, I am going to participate in this thread so, you might as well run!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Don't insult my dignity or else!!! grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

To the other more civilized intelligent non barbarians here:

I think English is not a problem and is not a big deal. Speaking Portuguese, Italian or French to an extent is not helpful as they are not as big as English. In the end, I don't see anything changing anytime soon. Where I am from all the conditions have been created to have one native language as the official language since one Ethnic group expanded throughout the country but, what real difference will it make??

Just fake pride!

Real pride is development and building a prosperous country! That is what makes me proud!!! That is MY goal!!!

To conclude, English is not a big deal and a world language now rather than a British language. The others are so and so and maybe less useful. At least where I am from most of the trade, cultural aspects and other important things are done in the local languages while other things including education are in English!!
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 7:29pm On Jul 28, 2012
do you thnk if capitalism and westernization has affected somalia now it will in the future...

your forgetting that somalia is one ethnicity with one religion and one langauge...

countries whose langauge disapear in favor of english are countries that have many diffrent ethnicities so they just agree to speak english...

if somalis dont speak arabic, maybe less than 3 percent speak arabic, and we have been next to them and they have lived in somalia for hundreds of years...and we still speak our language...infact we have made arabs in somalia speak somali...

somalia is a country with one culture...so we actually make outsiders adapt to our culture and language....look at the bantu slaves...they speak somali and are muslim...look at the enslaved ethiopian oromos...they are now somali...and are part of the somali clan structure...they also are muslims and speak somali....

somalia is a country that is unified in language and culture..we make others speak our language when they come to our country....not the other way around...over 4 thousands years has proved this.

look at these white guys in the west...somalis in the west have made them speak somali...cause they were hanging around with somalis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxxAZGU-LvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faWdLDyyaJo&feature=fvst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8meYn_UFpJw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLA915406F45BA5732

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruXteS7zY-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0SZGW5l570&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL3798EE5B048356DB
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 7:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123: do you thnk if capitalism and westernization has affected somalia now it will in the future...

your forgetting that somalia is one ethnicity with one religion and one langauge...

countries whose langauge disapear in favor of english are countries that have many diffrent ethnicities so they just agree to speak english...

if somalis dont speak arabic, maybe less than 3 percent speak arabic, and we have been next to them and they have lived in somalia for hundreds of years...and we still speak our language...infact we have made arabs in somalia speak somali...

Your drunken rants make no sense shut the f-u-c-k up!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Which country has had their language disappear??
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 7:32pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim: Why does it matter.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

99 percent of West Africans also speak their ethnic languages.

grin

I don't see the big deal in using a language like English as ones official language since it is a world language now...
screw the world, Iran has very little English speakers and look at there nation i never seen Mahmoud Ahmadinejad speak English and they like there culture unlike Africans who jump and the neo colonial train to hell and say there languages are useless and there culture is "satanic" look at Japan and South Korea no English
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 7:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
TerryCarr: screw the world, Iran has very little English speakers and look at there nation i never seen Mahmoud Ahmadinejad speak English and they like there culture unlike Africans who jump and the neo colonial train to hell and say there languages are useless and there culture is "satanic" look at Japan and South Korea no English

Trust me when I say every important intellectual in Iran speaks English and read all important scientific journals in English...

Japan and Korea are different but, every important intellectual there also speaks some English.

Once again, which African country has given up their languages?? Which languages have been lost?? The answer is none! I think English is more useful than French, Portuguese and others but, I don't see anything changing.
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 7:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123, your inferiority complex is embarrassing. Posting a few white guys speaking Somali makes you proud? Go find out how many schools the native languages of Ghana are taught in!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Grow up! With me around you will always be second best or not counted at all!! You may be able to fool a few dumb Negros here but,with guys like me around you have no chance wink wink cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 7:46pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim: warya123, your inferiority complex is embarrassing. Posting a few white guys speaking Somalis makes you proud? Go find out how many schools the native languages of Ghana are taught in!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Grow up! With me around you will always be second best or not counted at all!! You may be able to fool a few dumb Negros here but, guys like me will always be around when the time is righ wink wink cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

i didnt bring this topic up...i was simply replying to the person who said somalia's national language would be english...as i showed...somalis influence the whites who already speak english to speak somali....

so if several thousands somalis keep their language and teach non somalis somali...what do you think of the millions of somalis in the horn of africa...i know ethiopians and kenyans who speak somali....

our language is more open for more people to speak than any other african language....because u dont have to be a certain tribe to speak somali....somali is an ethnic group that is is in all of somalia and half of kenya and ethiopia and all of djibouti...

even the somalis in china are spreading somali culture...lmao...my people are gangsters....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8iLLmvL4dA
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 7:46pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim:

Trust me when I say every important intellectual in Iran speaks English and read all important scientific journals in English...

Japan and Korea are different but, every important intellectual there also speaks some English.

Once again, which African country has given up their languages?? Which languages have been lost??
i would given up on more like neglected African languages
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 7:47pm On Jul 28, 2012
ghana is not a language its a country...

i know several ghanians...they speak twi...and not all speak twi....many tribes have their own language...your country is divided in langauge...your national language isnt even an ethnic one...but a european one....

lmao
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 7:51pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123: ghana is not a language its a country...

i know several ghanians...they speak twi...and not all speak twi....many tribes have their own language...your country is divided in langauge...your national language isnt even an ethnic one...but a european one....

lmao

My whole point has been that English is no longer a European language but, a world language!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

90 percent of Ghanaians speak or understand some Twi and it could be a national language but, what would that change??

Bring fake pride??

I want REAL pride!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 7:54pm On Jul 28, 2012
http://tw.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana

Oh yes! I am so proud now!! NOW I can live in bliss!!! I just read that in a Ghanaian language thank goodness grin grin grin grin grin

JOY JOY JOY!!!! grin grin grin grin

Give me REAL pride!! Give me development please!!!
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 7:55pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim:

My whole point has been that English is no longer a European language but, a world language!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

90 percent of Ghanaians speak or understand some Twi and it could be a national language but, what would that change??

Bring fake pride??

I want REAL pride!!

grin grin grin grin

Asante 14.8%, Ewe 12.7%, Fante 9.9%, Boron (Brong) 4.6%, Dagomba 4.3%, Dangme 4.3%, Dagarte (Dagaba) 3.7%, Akyem 3.4%, Ga 3.4%, Akuapem 2.9%, other (includes English (official)) 36.1% (2000 census)

thats the languages spoken in your country....that is sad...

lets look at the languages spoken in somalia...

Somali (official), Arabic (official, according to the Transitional Federal Charter), Italian, English

white some speak english and italian...less than 1 percent....somali is the official language...we are gangsters...
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 7:58pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim:

Bring fake pride??

I want REAL pride!!

grin grin grin grin
English language of today has no cultural value it is just a language of business
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 8:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123:

Asante 14.8%, Ewe 12.7%, Fante 9.9%, Boron (Brong) 4.6%, Dagomba 4.3%, Dangme 4.3%, Dagarte (Dagaba) 3.7%, Akyem 3.4%, Ga 3.4%, Akuapem 2.9%, other (includes English (official)) 36.1% (2000 census)

thats the languages spoken in your country....that is sad...

lets look at the languages spoken in somalia...

Somali (official), Arabic (official, according to the Transitional Federal Charter), Italian, English

white some speak english and italian...less than 1 percent....somali is the official language...we are gangsters...

You are reading the world factbook wrong... most of those languages listed are intelligible grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Like I said 80-90 percent of people in Ghana speak or understand Twi. most speak 2 local languages.

Why are we on this tangent though grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

What real benefit will come from making one language an official language??

grin grin grin grin
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 8:03pm On Jul 28, 2012
TerryCarr: English language of today has no cultural value it is just a language of business

That is why I believe one should learn it... What real difference will making a local language the official one make...

In Ghana it is possible but, it is impossible in a country like Nigeria!! Which one would you pick?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 8:04pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim:

You are reading the world factbook wrong... most of those languages listed are intelligible grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Like I said 80-90 percent of people in Ghana speak or understand Twi. most speak 2 local languages.

Why are we on this tangent though grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

What real benefit will come from making one language an official language??

grin grin grin grin

THIS IS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT....so you admit with out facts that 90 percent of you can understand one langauge which is twi...but your content with keeping your national langauge as the same as the ones who enslaved and sold your people....woooooooooow.... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 8:09pm On Jul 28, 2012
warya123:

THIS IS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT....so you admit with out facts that 90 percent of you can understand one langauge which is twi...but your content with keeping your national langauge as the same as the ones who enslaved and sold your people....woooooooooow.... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

The history is more complicated and embarrassing than you are listing. shocked shocked shocked

Let us not get on that tangent from the barbarian era though...

I am content with keeping a language that is a world language as the official language to give the masses a chance to compete in the global economy grin grin grin grin.

What I am against FIRMLY is letting any local language disappear...

I believe knowing English will give the people in the country and edge over people like yours who are speaking a language known only by 6 million people grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

In the end, many of these languages have been written today but, are predominantly spoken languages....
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by PhysicsQED(m): 8:10pm On Jul 28, 2012
@ TerryCarr

http://globalpressinstitute.org/global-news/africa/rwanda/rwanda-changes-school-language-again-seeks-preserve-culture-increase-brain

"Just 8 percent of Rwandans speak French, and 4 percent speak English, according to the government."

Kinyarwanda (the indigenous language of Rwandans) is in use there officially.

Eventually they will probably broaden the scope of this initiative.
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by TerryCarr(m): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim:

That is why I believe one should learn it... What real difference will making a local language the official one make...

In Ghana it is possible but, it is impossible in a country like Nigeria!! Which one would you pick?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
you can always split Nigeria grin
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by SmoothCrim: 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
TerryCarr: you can always split Nigeria grin

Good luck doing it with the oil firmly in the South!

you would have to create up to 6 countries out of Nigeria for your vision to come true peacefully and even then there would be problems.
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by warya123: 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2012
SmoothCrim:

The history is more complicated and embarrassing than you are listing. shocked shocked shocked

Let us not get on that tangent though...

I am content with keeping a language that is a world language as the official language to give the masses a chance to compete in the global economy grin grin grin grin.

What I am against FIRMLY is letting any local language disappear...

I believe knowing English will give the people in the country and edge over people like yours who are speaking a language known only by 6 million people grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

In the end, many of these languages have been written today but, are predominantly spoken languages....

over 25 million people speak somali...its taught in OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, OHIO UNIVERSITY, UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA AND MANY OTHER UNIVERSITIES WITH SOMALIS IN NORTH AMERICA.

I CAN SPEAK ENGLISH AND SOMALI...MANY SOMALIS DO TOO...I GUESS YOUR AREA OF THE WORLD NEVER HEAD OF PRIDE...I WOULD KILL MYSELF IF MY NATIONAL LANGUAGE WAS THAT OF THOSE WHO ENSLAVED ME...

IS THIS YOUR WAY OF HONERING THEM...YOU KNOW AT ONE POINT THE LANGAUGE OF COMMERCE WAS ARABIC, BEFORE THAT IT WAS MANDARIAN...IN A HUNDRED YEARS IT WILL MANDERIAN AGAIN THE LANGUAGE OF CHINA.

WELL HOPEFULLY IN A HUNDRED YEARS...SINCE ALL YOU AFRICANS MIX TOGETHER AND DONT HAVE A NATIONAL LANGAUGE THAT IS UR OWN U WILL SLOWLY DISAPEAR AN BECOME ONE WITH NO IDENTITY...JUST LIKE AMERICAN BLACKS AND AMERICAN WHITES....

BY THE WAY...SOMALIS ARE ONE OF THE VERY FEW THAT WOULD GO BACK TO THEIR COUNTRY IF IT WAS PEACEFUL...THAS WHY WE STILL CARE ABOUT THE ISSUES BACK HOME...WE NEVER CAME TO AMERICA UNTILL 15 YEARS AGO.
Re: African Languages As Official In Government by PhysicsQED(m): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
TerryCarr: you can always split Nigeria grin

He's Ghanaian. He already said he opposes it because "we can't have another failed state in the region."

I would split Nigeria. Best to keep things simple.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Moving Objects In Your Body / African American Satanist Charles Taylor Sacrificed Babies To Surp Power / Look At This Jewish Ritual!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.