Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

The Taboo In Your Community. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Taboo In Your Community. (2828 Views)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / What Particular Tradition Do You Dislike In Your Community (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 8:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
Hello people, i just read through the story posted by a nairalander about killing of green snake being a taboo among okposi people of Ebonyi state.

So i'm force to ask the good people of Nairaland, as individuals from different part of this country, what are the taboos in your community? It can be killing of animals, or anything your village or community sees as a taboo.

@Mods, if this topic make it to front page, i will be happy, if it didn't, no problem. I just want to learn about other people's culture and taboos without having to visit the villages one after another and it will also give me an insight into how wide Nigeria is.

Thank you all for your anticipated contributions.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 07, 2013
4 yorubaland..it is a taboo 4 a child to sit on a morta....fetchin of water at nyt is a taboo....whistlin at nyt attracts snakes so it is forbiden..it is a taboo to eat nd xpct ur elder to clear d tabu...
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Tolexander: 9:59pm On Jul 07, 2013
In my culture, it is a taboo for a woman to urinate while standing(like a man) cos any gurl that tries it will have a prick grown beside her punney.

One must not nail down a nail where there are two dogs or hen(male and female) cos they will end up forking themselves and they won't dissociate until the nail is removed.

you mustn't turn your eyelid inward because if a fly perches on it, the eye will remain like that for life.

We must not put a beans under our armpits if our parent want's to beat us, cos we will faint.

If a name is written on a book, the book shouldn't be burn't cos if the book is burnt, the person whose name is written on it will go to hell fire.

If you kill a lizard or a toad, it mustn't stretch its limb to you cos it means it is abusing your mother.
One mustn't score zero to start an exercise book cos one will end up scoring zero throughout the whole book. And if you score zero, just tear it off.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:18pm On Jul 07, 2013
Tolexander: In my culture, it is a taboo for a woman to urinate while standing(like a man) cos any gurl that tries it will have a prick grown beside her punney.

One must not nail down a nail where there are two dogs or hen(male and female) cos they will end up forking themselves and they won't dissociate until the nail is removed.

you mustn't turn your eyelid inward because if a fly perches on it, the eye will remain like that for life.

We must not put a beans under our armpits if our parent want's to beat us, cos we will faint.

If a name is written on a book, the book shouldn't be burn't cos if the book is burnt, the person whose name is written on it will go to hell fire.

If you kill a lizard or a toad, it mustn't stretch its limb to you cos it means it is abusing your mother.
One mustn't score zero to start an exercise book cos one will end up scoring zero throughout the whole book. And if you score zero, just tear it off.
Interesting, bro from which community abeg?
Omavik: 4 yorubaland..it is a taboo 4 a child to sit on a morta....fetchin of water at nyt is a taboo....whistlin at nyt attracts snakes so it is forbiden..it is a taboo to eat nd xpct ur elder to clear d tabu...
I'm yoruba, i use to think that most of the things you mention above are mere superstition ooo, so some of them are truly taboo?
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 12:09pm On Aug 23, 2013
Make una talk na
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2013
Nigerians only?

1 Like

Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Enegod(m): 12:35pm On Aug 23, 2013
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 12:44pm On Aug 23, 2013
IvyBlue: Nigerians only?
... Noooo, not Nigerians only.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 23, 2013
GAY
gay
Anything about those.

1 Like

Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 1:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
donedy: GAY
gay
Anything about those.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:50pm On Aug 23, 2013
Omavik: 4 yorubaland..it is a taboo 4 a child to sit on a morta....fetchin of water at nyt is a taboo....whistlin at nyt attracts snakes so it is forbiden..it is a taboo to eat nd xpct ur elder to clear d tabu...

Same as my town. Also,in my town Umuoji,we do not pound palm fruit on Nkwo day,in Urumkpu,Uruaneke and Umuoma to be precise. More,you do not kill any animal sacrificed to the shrine.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 7:28pm On Aug 23, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Same as my town. Also,in my town Umuoji,we do not pound palm fruit on Nkwo day,in Urumkpu,Uruaneke and Umuoma to be precise. More,you do not kill any animal sacrificed to the shrine.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by daisyella: 1:54am On Aug 27, 2013
Hmmm some people r mistakening taboo for superstitious belief. Well, dere r some taboos I've heard of but d one I rili think its crazy is d one my mum told me abt reincarnation. For example dey said I'm my great grandmother reincarnated, and derez diz my cousin dey said is also d woman's reincarnate, so if incase me or dat my cousin dies, its a taboo for any of us 2 c each other's corpse. Its rili crazy rite?

1 Like

Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 7:32am On Aug 27, 2013
daisyella: Hmmm some people r mistakening taboo for superstitious belief. Well, dere r some taboos I've heard of but d one I rili think its crazy is d one my mum told me abt reincarnation. For example dey said I'm my great grandmother reincarnated, and derez diz my cousin dey said is also d woman's reincarnate, so if incase me or dat my cousin dies, its a taboo for any of us 2 c each other's corpse. Its rili crazy rite?

woah! This is different, please what culture is this?
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 27, 2013
In Ilorin, one. Shouldn't back a baby with his/her legs showing or carry a baby from behind.
Its a taboo to fetch water from a well at night.
To look ur elders straight in d eyes.
To call d name of a child u named after an older person (e.g if a child is named after the elderly Alfa in ur area or family house, d child is called Oloko Alfa instead of d real name)
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 9:19am On Aug 27, 2013
Yettygal: In Ilorin, one. Shouldn't back a baby with his/her legs showing or carry a baby from behind.
Its a taboo to fetch water from a well at night.
To look ur elders straight in d eyes.
To call d name of a child u named after an older person (e.g if a child is named after the elderly Alfa in ur area or family house, d child is called Oloko Alfa instead of d real name)
Learning new things here.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by daisyella: 10:45am On Aug 27, 2013
Handsomeemmy:

woah! This is different, please what culture is this?
Ihitte uboma in imo state
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 11:30am On Aug 27, 2013
daisyella:
Ihitte uboma in imo state
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by AndreUweh(m): 9:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
Most communities in the Ihitte/Uboma/Obowu/Nsu areas name their communities after a prominent animal. fish or plant, as a result it's a taboo to kill or eat those plants or animals.E.g
Ụmụoke--children of Oke. They are not allowed to eat oke (rat)
Ụmụihi- the fish called Ihi is a taboo to eat.
ỤMỤELEM-do not ele (antelope)
Ụmụachara- do not eat achara
Ụmụenwe--do not eat or kill enwe (monkey).
This sort of practice is widely known in Imo and Abia state communities.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by daisyella: 10:19pm On Aug 27, 2013
Andre Uweh: Most communities in the Ihitte/Uboma/Obowu/Nsu areas name their communities after a prominent animal. fish or plant, as a result it's a taboo to kill or eat those plants or animals.E.g
Lolzzz, haven't heard of dat o.where r u from?
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:30pm On Aug 27, 2013
Andre Uweh: Most communities in the Ihitte/Uboma/Obowu/Nsu areas name their communities after a prominent animal. fish or plant, as a result it's a taboo to kill or eat those plants or animals.E.g
Do you mean strangers can't eat the fish as well?
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by AndreUweh(m): 10:33pm On Aug 27, 2013
daisyella:
Lolzzz, haven't heard of dat o.where r u from?
From same Ihitte/Uboma as you.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by AndreUweh(m): 10:34pm On Aug 27, 2013
Handsomeemmy:
Do you mean strangers can't eat the fish as well?
Not in that particular community.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Not in that particular community.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by daisyella: 4:02am On Aug 29, 2013
Andre Uweh:
From same Ihitte/Uboma as you.
Whao!! Dats kul, nyc 2 meet a brother smiley
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Nobody: 6:14am On Aug 29, 2013
In the caribbean...

Homosexuality is a big one.
And then there are others such as eating in public (if not at an event or outside restaurant), letting ppl know your personal business, speaking against God openly..etc etc.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 8:43am On Aug 29, 2013
*Kails*:
In the caribbean...

And then there are others such as eating in public (if not at an event or outside restaurant), letting ppl know your personal business, speaking against God openly..etc etc.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by UyiIredia(m): 10:11am On Aug 29, 2013
*Kails*:
In the caribbean...

Too bad.

*Kails*:
And then there are others such as eating in public (if not at an event or outside restaurant),

Sh*t. Hope they allow eating snacks at least.

*Kails*:
letting ppl know your personal business, speaking against God openly..etc etc.

Okay. We share the gay and atheism thingy. Can't say the same for eating outside and talking about personal stuff. I do know in some parts here, shaking with or using your left hand is, for some strange reason, a taboo.
Re: The Taboo In Your Community. by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:26am On Aug 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Too bad.

Sh*t. Hope they allow eating snacks at least.

Okay. We share the gay and atheism thingy. Can't say the same for eating outside and talking about personal stuff. I do know in some parts here, shaking with or using your left hand is, for some strange reason, a taboo.

(1) (Reply)

Bi A Ba N Gun Yan Ninu Odo Ti A N Se Obe Ninu Epo Epa Eni Ma Yo Ayo...yorubawiki / Igede Agba New Yam Festival Is Coming Up Next Week:by Preemoo Ntfoxy Bone / 10 Most Annoying Phrases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.