Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,582 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? (20122 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by queensmith: 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2012
they will climb into your house- into your wardrobe, into your handbag, and into your stew. those lizards meeh. esp those little ones that walk around majestically in your own house? and then you are told not to kill them? i swear animals will soon start evicting landlords if care is not taken in that country.

they make brillians photographs though! my friends love em! lol
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by mrperfect(m): 9:41pm On Jul 03, 2012
I think it depends on our area.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by stagger: 9:46pm On Jul 03, 2012
If the lizards were not here, you would have real battles with insects such cockroaches and ants taking over whole cities. The lizards are an ecological check and balance.

God that put them in this part of the world is not confused.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by basisop(m): 9:48pm On Jul 03, 2012
'Lizyl the Lizard' some of our redneck lizards are rapist and with this ur name, I fear you might be a victim. So, run when they get too close.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by levos2007(m): 9:49pm On Jul 03, 2012
redsun: Honestly,i was talking to an english lady about those lizards this evening,how i missed them running around the house,even though they are suppose to be wild. When she asked me their names in english,i couldnt tell her because we just use to call them lizards. Though, we have native names for them,but i wouldnt make sense to her.

The male ones are bigger and red headed,while the female are smaller and greyish all round. That was as far as i could describe them to her. Can somebody please name the species in english?
Do you know england also has a lot of rabbits?
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by Pennywise(m): 9:52pm On Jul 03, 2012
I agree with OP.

We are not even talking of the ones in d House of Reps. Some stubborn, thieving lizards those ones.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by jennyb2: 9:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
because there are so many iroko trees and uncompleted buildings. lol!
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by blackboi(m): 9:57pm On Jul 03, 2012
LizyL: Ever since i moved here last year, i noticed the amount of lizards all over the place. Why are there so many?

Evidence of Bad government
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by superior1: 10:00pm On Jul 03, 2012
Because our presido is a Zoologist

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by kelessy(f): 10:01pm On Jul 03, 2012
D question dosnt deserve an ansa jare
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by codernoni: 10:01pm On Jul 03, 2012
Well u can like to start by changing ur username.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by emsquare(m): 10:02pm On Jul 03, 2012
tobechi74: Y are there so many thrash topic in nairaland

funny!
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by redsun(m): 10:09pm On Jul 03, 2012
levos2007:
Do you know england also has a lot of rabbits?

You can't believe the wild life in psychedelic london.If you look deeper,you will see them.Birds of prey,badger,foxes,fat rats and even poisonous nakes,adder.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by tintingz(m): 10:12pm On Jul 03, 2012
Cuz we Nigerians dont eat lizards like the chinese do, so they[lizards] have their freedom, always greeting nodin their head, lol
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by BigBenoski(m): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
LizyL: Ever since i moved here last year, i noticed the amount of lizards all over the place. Why are there so many?
here's wat u wana kno.. Reptiles like d Agama agama are poikilotherms (cold blooded). This means they are not equiped wit any physiological mechanisms to regulate there body temperature. So,they regulate there internal temperature behaviourally(e.g hiding under shades in hot weather and coming 2 bask in d sun when it cold). D tropics (wch naija is a perfect example) offer d lizards and most other animal species a perfect ambient condition for survival and ofcourse carry out its life functions like reproduction. Btw,r u aware dat d lizzards lay thr eggs in d earth and these eggs require a lot of warmth 2 hatch. Secondly,lizzards feed mainly on insects which is abundant in naija and some other tropical countries. There's little insect activities in the temperate regions (e.g uk whre u live) and this is d major reason a lot of bird species travel thousands of miles every year from uk 2 africa just 2 breed. This shud b enof bros

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by funshint(m): 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2012
meksroland: It was much cos the SW people and Hausas stopped eating them. Sorry
i 4 hail but WTF u included SW! BASTARD!!!
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by bohboh275(m): 10:25pm On Jul 03, 2012
Men i kill all this Lizards die when i dey small if to say na yankee i dey, dem go done charge me with Animal crudity and send me to a juvenile detention.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by levos2007(m): 10:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
[quote author=redsun]

You can't believe the wild life in psychedelic london.If you look deeper,you will see them.Birds of prey,badger,foxes,fat rats and even poisonous nakes,adder.[/quote
Birds are very common, i have seen foxes couple of times, but you can't belive the amount of rabbits over here, let me put this way, has lizard is common in Nigeria so is rabbit.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 03, 2012
You asked the question as if lizards are bad, when in fact they have there important role to play in society.

Nature works in amazing ways. You see, nigeria is in africa, and africa has many flies (which causes many diseases), thus lizards come into the picture, because lizards feed on flies, and to keep the lizards in check, hawks and csts feed on the the lizard. grin .
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by Skii(m): 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2012
Come to think of it...it is true o...when i was abroad i didnt see any lizard
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by levos2007(m): 10:33pm On Jul 03, 2012
There used to be alot of snakes in Cyprus.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by Korrection(m): 10:34pm On Jul 03, 2012
una go wound person for nairaland
onatisi:
nice question but why dont u ask the lizards i am sure they will have an explanation to give.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 03, 2012
Whitehorse: This OP funny o. Its like asking why are there so many dead and living rabbits all over scotland

U meant the gray squirrels that roam all over the United kingdom cos I have only seen rabbits as pets.

"In the United Kingdom, the eastern
gray squirrel which now has a population of over 2.5million has few natural predators. This has
aided its rapid population growth and has led to the
species being classed as a PEST . Measures are being
devised to reduce its numbers, including one plan for
celebrity television chefs to promote the idea of
EATING the squirrels". Culled from the guardian.

Lolz. @OP. Maybe we can start classifying lizards as bush meat but don't complain when roaches and all types of crawling insects invade your home.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by akpunku1: 10:46pm On Jul 03, 2012
bluejeff: Not as interesting as a male chasing a female, eventually catches her after so much resistance, and then mounts her. Usually gives me an ere.ction.

o'boy u don craze finish... Lolz
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by levos2007(m): 10:47pm On Jul 03, 2012
there are alot of them in South England
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by wellmax(m): 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2012
LizyL: no the comment was jus not necessary and trash was spelled wrong.

Teacher no teach me nonsence!
...And trash was spelled splet wrong. Olodo[s][/s]
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
OP

Its simple na - its because GEJ is the President. Blame it on GEJ.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by gurushill: 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
because bokom haram is there. lols

Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
OP,

Dont mind them. I also wonder why the police cant be arresting those Lizards and whats the job of the governor sef

Why cant fashola pass an Anti-lizard bill
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by davidif: 10:56pm On Jul 03, 2012
hahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhaa, this is soooooooooooo hillarious. I remember when i was in Naija, there were so many lizards. Someone should do some research on it hahaha.
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by nerodenero: 11:04pm On Jul 03, 2012
just wondering o... what's lizard's economic importance?
Re: Why Are There So Many Lizards In Nigeria? by druid06(m): 11:07pm On Jul 03, 2012
It's because we don't eat them. There's not enough natural predators. Our climate supports their breeding. They have short gestation period and they have enough prey to feed on ( Insects, Flies ).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abuja - Dubai Trip Advice Needed / Young Man Killed In Fatal Accident Over Voters Card Ahead Of Elections. Photos / UK Increases Minimum Wage Of Immigrants On Skilled Worrk Visa By 48 Per Cent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.