Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,539 members, 7,819,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting (19043 Views)

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Questions Concerning Your Preferred Salary Scale During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Christine01(f): 10:20pm On Jul 08, 2012
Hmmm!!! I'm scared and worried at the same time.

I'm scared because I just read about what some people had to go through before they finally landed a good job. It is well!!!

I am worried because I feel I haven't done enough compared to some people's stories here.

After my POP, I went out to submit my CVs to some schools around my area I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Abuja. At a particular school, I was not even allowed into the compound. That experience was humilating, I tell Ɣ☺ΰ.

I'm not giving up yet,though its just a temporary job I need for now as I intend resuming for my M.Sc programme I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ January. I don't want to be idle and become a financial burden to my family.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by DisGuy: 10:27pm On Jul 08, 2012
Christine01: Hmmm!!! I'm scared and worried at the same time.

I'm scared because I just read about what some people had to go thrugh before they finally landed a good job. It is well!!!

I am worried because I feel I haven't done enough compared to some people's stories here.

After my POP, I went out to submit my CVs to some schools around my area I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Abuja. At a particular school, I was not even allowed into the compound. That experience was humilating, I tell Ɣ☺ΰ.

I'm not giving up yet though its just a temporary job I need for now as I intend to resume for my MSc programme I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ January. I don't want to be idle and become a financial burden to my family.

it all part of the process, you have to learn how to 'beat' oga gateman and gum popping receptionist grin

next time hook up with a friendly looking teacher/Administrator from outside the school who'd invite you or accept your CV to pass on
dey look face o, make you no go jam person wey in job dey borderline na competition be that

goodluck
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by member479760: 8:29am On Jul 09, 2012
My Babalawo gave Bintu Lofinda to use on the interview day - this really helped me to secure the job.

2 Likes

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by henryoshoremoh(m): 10:03am On Jul 09, 2012
AS FOR ME I HAVE NOT STOP, BROWSING THE INTERNET DAILY FOR CURRENT JOBS. AND TELLING PEOPLE OF MY NEED FOR JOB... IN FACT ITS HEART BREAKING BUT JEHOVAH BEING THE HEARER OF PRAYER WILL SURELY ANSWER MY PRAYER, IF YOU CAN HELP ME, PLEASE DO. I POSSESS HND IN SCIENCE LAB TECH AND RESIDE IN PORTHARCOURT
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 09, 2012
Waka the whole f trans amadi with volumes of cv's where the sign every where you go to is no vacancy

join community in ph to do gbege in front of slums b/c of employment(i be yoruba)

mail about ten to twelve applicatin every tuesday from the guidian

migrated to lagos to resume job hunting

did sraki bank( have forgoten the name) test and the bank close befre release of result

was invited by vigeo to phc for job exam only to take night bus and there was a horible hold up on our way to onitsha,cross with leg and took transport to onitsha.saw a full loaded bus that i taught was full but alas na mesinary dey inside. i did not leave onitsha until about ten o cloch when the test was to start. got to ph around one.never bothered to check the exam center again.

the story plenty but i thank god for his mercy, here i am today
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by mimicue(f): 10:19am On Jul 09, 2012
I love this thread so encouraging
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by afm4ever(m): 10:43am On Jul 09, 2012
Hmmm so interesting and inspiring thread i love it
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by JesusDWay(m): 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2012
Y'all need to witness the situation at Law School, for the last NIMASA test. See struggling and squeezing to enter the hall. In the process, some people were reported to have had their certificates damaged or lost yet, just one set was able to write the test while majority went back the same way they came. You needed to see people bringing their children to the test centre. May God help the young and upcoming in this country
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by 2dmax(m): 2:36pm On Jul 09, 2012
Dozieson: left nysc in 2009. While serving in jos,travelled to benin for first bank test. Ater nysc, i travelled from benin to lag for mobil test. Travelled from benin to ph for philips consulting test. I move to lag in 2010 to stay with my bro. I beacme his wife. Cook, fetch water, do all domestic works. I travelled from lag to umudike for grad assistant job test, was d only 1 dat made it to final stage in my dept. New vc came a councel the recruitment. I wrote dragnet test for coke and passed till today no calls for intw. Did imo state test and intw all d way from lag. Got the job but new gov came and suspend the job. To cut the story short am with etisalat to by God's grace. My dearest, it wasnt funny
bros I beg make I ffwd 1 cv to u?
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by naijababe2(f): 3:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
*sighs deeply*

This thread just made me feel I'm not putting in М♈̷̴̩ best compared to what other people has done. Its encouraging as well. Phew! Now where do I start from Job search aint easy. *still searching with no hope lost*
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by anuforoudo(f): 3:51pm On Jul 09, 2012
Before I got a job in 2007, we had nobody in Lagos. We have slept at 17a Awolowo way Ikoyi, that tall building for 3weeks. We were operating from there untill my brother got a call from P.H to work with UBA, where he is still working till now. I got a contract job in Lagos months after and after two years the real job came. When we sat and looked at our back we thanked God for protection then. God has a plan for everybody. That is why when I see job seekers I try as much as possible to help them.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by mkoabiola: 4:05pm On Jul 09, 2012
Wat else can I say?This is d most interesting thread I av ever read on NL.so many intersting and funny stories.these ar not cooked stories,I was jus lafin while taking my time to read,God bless u all 4sharing ur wonderfu and interestin xperience. Am stil on job hunting anyway.bt let me shar just 1xperince.
I got an emergency kal 4an interview @AIT b4 getting dere dey were through wit dier interview.infact I did not tak my bath jus to meet up.lol blv my time is comin no MAN can stop me.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by ztar(m): 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2012
Dis thread got me inspired...n i also learnt dat though d naija system looks corrupt..but with d grace of God n persistent hustling something good might just smile my way...though i'm still a corper but i've learnt to smart searchin in earnest...@op..thanks for sharing
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by livapul86(m): 6:20pm On Jul 09, 2012
@OP: Nice thread, you've got going here. One thing I have realised from my Job search so far, is not about Who you know, but whether that Person you know actually KNOWS YOU, by that the Person has a stake in your life and in your job quest. My personal example, I happen to know and communicate with the Chairman of one of the foremost Nigerian banks but that hasn't helped me getting a job with his organisation or even recommendation to other companies.
Still on the job hunt while still trying to better myself.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by frikuenci(m): 8:40pm On Jul 09, 2012
N
mko abiola: Wat else can I say?This is d most interesting thread I av ever read on NL.so many intersting and funny stories.these ar not cooked stories,I was jus lafin while taking my time to read,God bless u all 4sharing ur wonderfu and interestin experience.

Same here. Am short for words. I have written quite a number of APT since February till date but seems not to scale through the huddles yet. Though the recruiting firm such as dragnet never mailed whether passed or failed.

Please house, I need to know is it ok to use reference area on Cv as "Available on Request"? Also is it a big deal if a Cv extends slightly into the 3rd page? I appreciate your response.Thanks.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by egbeman1: 7:46am On Jul 10, 2012
frikuenci: N

Same here. Am short for words. I have written quite a number of APT since February till date but seems not to scale through the huddles yet. Though the recruiting firm such as dragnet never mailed whether passed or failed.

Please house, I need to know is it ok to use reference area on Cv as "Available on Request"? Also is it a big deal if a Cv extends slightly into the 3rd page? I appreciate your response.Thanks.

Ur cv shouldn't be more dan 2pages and the reference stuff u wrote is meant for core proffessionals
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by taioluv: 8:39am On Jul 10, 2012
I love dis topic started by dis OP, as For me after seaching For job wt no luck and my age again is anoda issue,I haff decided to be my own boss pending till d JOB comes.I sell stuffs For male n female.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by vikkieb: 8:56am On Jul 10, 2012
chineds: acting as if you are making a phone call while you read and memorize addresses and contact numbers of job posts along major highways. It was not easy...
i can't stop laughing at this, it sounds just like me.lol. Getting a job has been as tough as the word itself. Am a lady that always believed i should make it on my own too and not rely on a man. I mean what if i was a man and needed to get married and cater for my family? This spirit got me on the streets of ibadan and lagos hustling since 2009 all to no avail.I was invited for an interview sometime ago @ikeja and i got there with my suit heavily socked as it was raining.it was an oral one and i was shivering and talking.*smiles*though i've worked as a marketer in an insurance coy, but am too loaded for such, i didn't feel fulfilled at it. Hmmmm the truth is i have given up on job search. Everyday i look @ about 7 certificates i laboured hard to get lyin fallow and i feel bad for my parent....But i promise to make it up to them! Am learning a handwork now
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by webcam(m): 11:52am On Jul 10, 2012
men its not easy track to get a job in this country......i work as driver,poutry attendant,site labour with my HND..THANK GOD now that i got a JOb via NL without knowing anybody in the small organisation i work now...within a year my life change....guy advice me on what to do to pot belle?i can remember the week that i dint eat any food from sunday to saturday because i dont have cash.BABA GOD I THANK YOU OOOOO
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by frikuenci(m): 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2012
egbeman1:

Ur cv shouldn't be more dan 2pages and the reference stuff u wrote is meant for core professionals

Thanks a lot. Will do reverse the changes made to my Cv.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 11, 2012
This is so encouraging,i'm still on the street searching for jobs,the tarred and rough roads in lagos have condemned my shoes due to walking from one place to another,to all those that are now working,i'll be very grateful if you could be of help,GOD bless.my email t_ogunrewo@yahoo.com,if you want me to send my CV it's my pleasure..
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Dazzled: 5:31am On Jul 12, 2012
I remembered my first test invite from NBC on dec 2010 @ ikeja durin my nysc,had to take nite bus from jos,got into lag dat same mornin of d exam,dropped my bag n raced to d venue. D crowd was too much,i was scared, d exam didnt start on time cos d venue was bn used 4 an event. We where al waitin til gate crashers joined d show, we waited till 3pm no exam,d pple workin wit d caterin coy had to share d reminant to food to willingly jobseekers, omo com c guys dey hustle 4 food join. D exam didnt start til 6pm,was able to write mine by 8:30pm due to d crowd,got home by 12midnite,jeez i was scared and my parents kept callin til i got home. Wat a first experience i wil neva 4getcheesy
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 17, 2012
anuforoudo: Before I got a job in 2007, we had nobody in Lagos. We have slept at 17a Awolowo way Ikoyi, that tall building for 3weeks. We were operating from there untill my brother got a call from P.H to work with UBA, where he is still working till now. I got a contract job in Lagos months after and after two years the real job came. When we sat and looked at our back we thanked God for protection then. God has a plan for everybody. That is why when I see job seekers I try as much as possible to help them.
i graduated from OSCOTECH esa oke,HND civil engineering,my email:t_ogunrewo@yahoo.com,i'll really appreciate if you could be of help,God bless
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Christine01(f): 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2012
Dis Guy:

it all part of the process, you have to learn how to 'beat' oga gateman and gum popping receptionist grin

next time hook up with a friendly looking teacher/Administrator from outside the school who'd invite you or accept your CV to pass on
dey look face o, make you no go jam person wey in job dey borderline na competition be that

goodluck

Thank you very much for the tips.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 22, 2012
My experience mixture of good and bad. I was called for an interview after a test... But I got to knw abt it late. So I have to sneak out from office forgetting to read the instruction that I have to come with my 2 copies of cv. Getting to the interview venue.... Everybody had their cv except me! I became worry?

I approach the receptionist if she can allow me to check my mail.... She arrogantly REFUSED. I decided to go out of the premises and I walk a little and I saw one company finance house... I approach the receptionist introducing myself as a consultant and I forgot one important document I needed for my client at the next office that I will appreciate if he can allow me to print from my mail. God willing... She allowed me and I got my cv out... However! I got my cv out but I didn't get the job. The lesson is that don't give up.

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 22, 2012
it is well

1 Like

Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Tinyemeka(m): 9:14am On Sep 22, 2012
Dozieson: left nysc in 2009. While serving in jos,travelled to benin for first bank test. Ater nysc, i travelled from benin to lag for mobil test. Travelled from benin to ph for philips consulting test. I move to lag in 2010 to stay with my bro. I beacme his wife. Cook, fetch water, do all domestic works. I travelled from lag to umudike for grad assistant job test, was d only 1 dat made it to final stage in my dept. New vc came a councel the recruitment. I wrote dragnet test for coke and passed till today no calls for intw. Did imo state test and intw all d way from lag. Got the job but new gov came and suspend the job. To cut the story short am with etisalat to by God's grace. My dearest, it wasnt funny

Na wa O! Strong man. Nothing do U.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Coldfaya(m): 3:50pm On Sep 22, 2012
webcam: men its not easy track to get a job in this country......i work as driver,poutry attendant,site labour with my HND..THANK GOD now that i got a JOb via NL without knowing anybody in the small organisation i work now...within a year my life change....guy advice me on what to do to pot belle?i can remember the week that i dint eat any food from sunday to saturday because i dont have cash.BABA GOD I THANK YOU OOOOO

Bros enjoi d pot belle ooo. U r paying it back 4 d days it starved.
E no easy sha but never giving up d hustle is d key. Me sef go giv my tori here now now by God
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 22, 2012
yuzedo: After my NYSC my papa don conclude say na me useless pass for family! grin

I was just busy nacking babes and seemed less concerned about getting job (in his mind), meanwhile I was writing part-time for an online mag & making small money.

My father had to make up with a very popular lawyer in Naija who used to live in our BQ b4 we had serious quarrel & he became a national figure. My mother till today hasn't forgiven my dad for reconciling with the schmuck. He still didn't get me the said job sef.
Dad was making contacts and rily trying to fix me up somewhere, while I maintained a non-challant attitude, unknown to him, I was making underground contacts. Submitting CV's indiscriminately, writing aptitude tests everyhow, etc.

Went for Cool fm audition, no show.

Went to the first and previously biggest ad agency in naija, couldn't even pass the reception. Dropping my cv was futile. I refused to give up, went online and researched and snooped and dug, got director phone number, oboy see 5-page sms na? The man replied immediately with numbers of 5 other directors and asked me to say I was from him for audience, finally got past reception, first director was so helpful (cos I spun a heartfelt tale of my keen desire to learn advertising and be the best + offered to friggin' work for free for six months to learn the ropes), but HR told me politely to f-uck off. Director insisted I come back and he'd fix me.

Didn't have to, my influential in-laws had gotten me appointment/tentative job at my fav radio station, Beat fm. Had also started interviewing at an international Private equity firm through a God-send I met during my NYsC,infact dat na story for anoda day. (B4 dis girl agree become my friend eh? I cry die! She use my self-esteem rub for ground. I gave up. And then kept trying, not knowing that my insistence was tied to my destiny).
Went to see the MD of Beat fm but he was wasting my time, so I left his office to rush back home and nack one very very hot chic I had just snagged. .lipsrsealed While nacking, the foreign guy at the PE firm was interviewing me on phone while she was sucking my **** grin
That man is now my boss! grin

Infact when I started flying to abuja and coming back same day on the firm's tab without offer letter, my dad still didn't know how far. He was surprised I finally got my act together and landed a good one without his gaddem help. Now he's proud of me. Praise da Lord!!!!!! grin tongue

On the level tho, I f-ucking paid my dues. Now I'm "living the life", car, sitting in exclusive meetings with some of the biggest boys in corporate nigeria and abroad, exposure to; 5-star hotels, finance, and making solid contacts. Sometimes I pinch myself.

Evening bro. i read your story and i see the type of job i crave for(Not the woman aspect though. Lol.). Been to a couple of tv radio and newspaper org. Sometimes been really embarrassed. How do i go about it please? I know that i need your help. I'm a graduate of mass comm with a 2.1. and done with my NYSC. Please reply. Ezekiel zeevin. ezekielobielum@yahoo.com.
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Omowhara(m): 12:21pm On Sep 25, 2012
dejiswaggs: So funny lol but I work for myself naa!
If anyone is intrested in akin alabi's ebook ''How I Made over 8 million In Nigerian in 2008 and How
you to can!'' pls inbox me now.
am interested and i want to know how.. My is mail omowharadj@yahoo.com
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by derus(f): 3:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
What a inspiring comments, all what i av 2 say abt job hunting is only Allah favor and mercy (with sincere faith , Hope and way forward)
Re: Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 06, 2012
Omowhara: am interested and i want to know how.. My is mail omowharadj@yahoo.com
akosilei@hotmail.com
pls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Degrees Vs Experience, Which Helps You Get A Job Faster? / Can One Get A Government Job Without Connection? / 1.2 Million Applicants Applied For 1,112 Nigeria Immigration Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.