Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Screenplay Excerpts - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Screenplay Excerpts (1010 Views)

Nollywood Script Writer: Screenplay From Nollywood; How To Write And Sell It / A Tale From The East: The Origin Of Arochukwu Kingdom (the Screenplay) / Excerpts Of My Screenplay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Screenplay Excerpts by sholay2011(m): 7:41pm On Jul 06, 2012
Please guys, check out these screenplay excerpts and criticise...

Re: Screenplay Excerpts by VillageBoi(m): 9:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
Hi Sholay, well done for writing and keep on doing it. Something that will help you out will be scriptwritng software. Personally I use Final Draft but if you can't get that yet Celtx is a 'free' scriptwriting software. A proper screenplay format will make your scripts much easier to read.

1 Like

Re: Screenplay Excerpts by sholay2011(m): 9:39am On Jul 13, 2012
tnx ....cityboi...lol
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by VillageBoi(m): 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
sholay2011: tnx ....cityboi...lol

You're very welcome, I hope you find the info to be a bit useful. Lol I be proper Village sombori!
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by sholay2011(m): 6:42pm On Jul 13, 2012
yeah...av registered wiv celtx to use it for my scripts but pls expatiate more on using it...
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by VillageBoi(m): 9:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
sholay2011: yeah...av registered wiv celtx to use it for my scripts but pls expatiate more on using it...

Hiya. Glad to hear you have Celtx now. I've only used it once because a short film we were making was written with it so I can't really comment on it - I just mentioned it here because it's free and you'll be able to format your scripts correctly. I use Final Draft. But I'm pretty sure like all scriptwriting software Celtx should be easy to get the hang of... have a play around with it.
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by sholay2011(m): 12:29am On Jul 14, 2012
villageboi...pls, av written some gud scripts (at least in my opinion), do u knw hw i can sell dem? cos frm ur previous.posts, u ve shot a short film before. tnx
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by VillageBoi(m): 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2012
sholay2011: villageboi...pls, av written some gud scripts (at least in my opinion), do u knw hw i can sell dem? cos frm ur previous.posts, u ve shot a short film before. tnx

Where you are based and what is your market? If you are in Nigeria then 'Nollywood' is the place to look at... try to find and have a conversation with producers where you are. They are far better placed to help you out.
Also are you talking about shorts or features? If 'shorts' - no one buys shorts. People generally make shorts as a learning experience before they try shooting a feature also as a 'calling-card', some even make a short version of a feature they want to raise funds for and other reasons. I also forgot to mention if you were talking about TV scripts?

You know what form you are/have written for go out and network with people in that field; this sort of thing will most probably not happen via the Internet. If you are in Lagos there are so many producers, production outfits and so on. You want it hard enough? Go out there and hunt for it and if your work is good enough you'll make it. In my opinion 'Nollywood' seriously needs GOOD writers.
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by sholay2011(m): 7:05pm On Jul 14, 2012
tnx v much. u re on point. i reside in Nigeria sha. tnx
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by sholay2011(m): 7:13pm On Jul 14, 2012
villageboi, cud u giv me ur e-mail so i can send one of my scripts to you for correction...?
Re: Screenplay Excerpts by VillageBoi(m): 10:46am On Jul 15, 2012
sholay2011: villageboi, cud u giv me ur e-mail so i can send one of my scripts to you for correction...?

If you right-click on my username you'll be able to find out more about me. I'll be honest with you here. I can give you advice but I wouldn't accept or correct a script at the moment. I just wouldn't have the time for it - I did see your thread - 'Scene 2 Of My Screenplay'. 90 pages of that would simply drive me mad.

Take things one step at a time; as Briareos mentioned and what we've spoken about here - first learn to format your scripts properly - There is a reason for that; it makes it easier to read. Squished up really hurts the eyes. Also with correct formatting one can immediately identify two main things 'Action/Dialogue' ratios which gives an idea of the pacing.

The first 3 shorts I made were complete rubbish but I learnt so much from making those mistakes and I was so proud of them. And as a filmmaker I am still learning; I will never stop learning. The growth should never end.

Use Google - find and download as many screenplays as possible - read them, learn the format (which is pretty easy), understand the pacing, try to see how realistic the 'dialogue' is... notice how much 'showing' VS 'telling' there is.
There is so much good information out there just type in any query and things will pop up.

Another BIG thing is every single day you go out with friends or meet people do this excercise - (Eavesdropping 101) - Listen to conversations and notice how people speak - kind of the same right? But the more you do it you'll realise each person actually speaks differently... that's when you find the Character Voice. By the time you add in distinguishable Character Traits and other things you'll have characters that are believable.

I'm not a writer but I am learning how to write and hopefully oneday I'll be able to write 'well'. Writing shorts and writing features are so different. With shorts there isn't time for full 'character development' so it all comes down to the 'twist' with features there is enough time to fully develop your characters and take them on a journey of 'change'.

Seriously just keep on learning, researching and practising. You CAN do it.

I'll leave you with a few of shorts; all very different and they all have mistakes in them but I learnt a lot.

Sweet Sixteen
- https://vimeo.com/36224825

Une Clope - https://vimeo.com/13021482

Don't Rock the Boat
- https://vimeo.com/5893159

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Richard Mofe-damijo [RMD] In N50 Million Embezzlement Scandal / Win Daily On NTA - Kalex Leaders' Yard Digital Quiz / Coke Studio Africa #cokestudioafrica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.