Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,312 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years (786 Views)

Nigerian Music Has Been Overtaken By Ghanaian Music’- IK Osakioduwa / Naija Music Has Come A Long Way (Songs U Listened To When U Were Younger) / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years by Fulaman198(m): 2:46am On Jul 08, 2012
It happened overtime as more and more Nigerians started to copy non-Africans, the music started to get more and more corrupted.

With the influx of Bollywood movies in Nigeria, Hausa people, Fulani people and other Northerners started to sing like Indians with autotune in their music. True traditional music in the North should not sound too different from music in Niger, Mali, Chad, Northern Cameroon, and other Sahelian countries, but due to lack of originality and a sense to copy others, Nigerian music from the North and South have become utter rubbish.

In the South, Nigerians have been copying Americans and Europeans. The music lacks creativity and sounds no different from actual RnB and hip hop. In all these songs, you hardly ever hear African languages, most of the music is in Pidgin English or Spoken English. Another thing that quickly tells you that Urbanized Nigerians have completely lost the culture of their forefathers.
Re: How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years by odumchi: 7:35pm On Jul 08, 2012
I think it depends on the particular genre you listen to.
Re: How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years by pleep(m): 11:36pm On Jul 08, 2012
I couldn't agree with this more, Nigerian music is just embarassing now.
With the influx of Bollywood movies in Nigeria, Hausa people, Fulani people and other Northerners started to sing like Indians with autotune in their music.
I always wondered why music from north nigeria sounded just like bollywood lol.

I think this is all evidence of a society in decline, last time i was in Nigeria i heard some of the most ridiculous music imaginable. The materialism and coonishnes really reflect modern Nigerian culture IMO.
Re: How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years by Fulaman198(m): 1:56am On Jul 09, 2012
pleep: I couldn't agree with this more, Nigerian music is just embarassing now.
I always wondered why music from north nigeria sounded just like bollywood lol.

I think this is all evidence of a society in decline, last time i was in Nigeria i heard some of the most ridiculous music imaginable. The materialism and coonishnes really reflect modern Nigerian culture IMO.

What it is is lack of pride for who Nigerians are, which I guess is kind of right, but I will never admit that Nigerian society is on the decline. We need people who are brave and courageous who truly love the nation to bring it back up. When I say Nigeria has some of the worst music in the world because it lacks originality (no music in Nigeria right now can be really classified as Nigerian music like Senegalese music can be classified as PURE Senegalese music, Malian music as Malian music, etc.) Those nations have far less resources than Nigeria, but yet they retain their cultures and identity. Nigeria is just a disgrace. Until Nigerians can stop pretending to be non-Africans then can we get somewhere
Re: How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years by kandiikane(m): 2:28am On Jul 09, 2012
You know what really annoyed me. How in psquare's video, oyinye or something like that all the women look almost oyinbo.

I don't have anything with having mixed people in a video but by going mainstream in America, all their videos are going to involved only mixed people without any variation.
I say this because majority of american black rappers only have mixed or oyinbo looking people with oyinbo features.

They even have the audacity to insult those who don't look oyinbo.

Mtcheeew!
Re: How Nigerian Music Has Gone From ONE OF The Best To The Worst In 40 - 50 Years by Fulaman198(m): 7:48am On Jul 09, 2012
kandiikane: You know what really annoyed me. How in psquare's video, oyinye or something like that all the women look almost oyinbo.

I don't have anything with having mixed people in a video but by going mainstream in America, all their videos are going to involved only mixed people without any variation.
I say this because majority of american black rappers only have mixed or oyinbo looking people with oyinbo features.

They even have the audacity to insult those who don't look oyinbo.

Mtcheeew!

These people are brainwashed by the west

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: VIDEO: Wizkid Performance In Toronto / Goldie Harvey Ft J-martins - Give It To Me / Asa Asika Releases Statement On Split With Davido

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.