Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,611 members, 7,958,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 05:51 AM

25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? (4667 Views)

The Hard Truth About Your Salary / Why You Should Not Be A Banker - A Bank's Stakeholder / Court Awards N76m To Banker For Wrongful Sacking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by 377: 9:03am On Jul 09, 2012
After having my Bsc Banking and Finance with 2.1 and a Masters degree in Financial Economics and currently doing Msc in Financial Mathematics all in Nigeria.is it fare for a good spirited Nigerian to send me appointment letter and saying that my salary is 25000.i feel so depressed when i got that letter pls what do u advice me to do.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:08am On Jul 09, 2012
I wouldn't want to give a response that will make you more depressed. But, the truth is, that is what they are willing to pay irrespective of your numerous degree. I have realised that there are no jobs out there and companies are becoming more and more stingy by the day.

Companies want the best hands and experience counts a lot. It's not just about degrees.

So, don't lose hope and keep applying. You can also consider getting a more practical training, craft or trade instead of adding more university degrees.

Please that 25k is an insult except if you know you can gather enough experience from the company. If it is a marketing job, please don't bother.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 09, 2012
It is indeed horrible! Even salesgirls and cybercafe attendants (both without B.Sc.) are within that salary range.

However, I'd advise you to take the offer and gather some work experience. Build your cv with relevant job roles. Many good things don't usually come easy. Pray. Persevere.

Shalom!
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by violent(m): 12:18pm On Jul 09, 2012
I don't think it's fair...but it is what it is. If the company is not making enough profit or do not feel that your knowledge can contribute significantly to their bottom line, i can understand their reluctance to pay any more than that.

You should consider other options including a career in Academia and Research.

Also, I'd advise you draw up a list of Asset Management firms in the country and write a speculative application letters to each of them, you should ensure that each application gets into the right hands. This may sound extremely stressful, but i'd rather do this than stick with the ridiculous pay being offered and an uncertain future.

Your degree and knowledge is impressive, you should strive to find job in a place where you actually belong.

2 Likes

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 1:59pm On Jul 09, 2012
377: After having my Bsc Banking and Finance with 2.1 and a Masters degree in Financial Economics and currently doing Msc in Financial Mathematics al[/b]l in Nigeria.is it fare for a good spirited Nigerian to send me appointment letter and saying that my salary is 25000.i feel so depressed when i got that letter pls what do u advice me to do.

Hi,

Where in Nigeria do they offer the highlighted courses? I am impressed to know that these courses can be studied at a naija university. We are improving well!

Anyway, that 25K is too small. It is insultingly less than 200 dollars. That can hardly pay half a full month's rent. You should normally earn in the range of 1.8M-4.0M Naira per annum at any of the reputable asset management firms in Lagos.

Do as [b]Violet
has advised. Judiciously submit your CV to any finance and investment house that exists in Lagos and maybe Abuja. In fact, FCSL on 15 Ribadu Road off Awolowo Road, Ikoyi is currently recruiting management trainees. ARM is almost concluding its recruitment of entry level staff. Both companies are in Ikoyi; both companies pay above 2M on the average, per annum. Run there and submit your CV. Even sef, AIMS Asset Management, Investment Research Nigeria (Thaddeus Investment) and even CSL(FCMB investment and brokerage house) are all places you can submit your CV and be called for test before this month ends.

My fear is that you don't have any other selling point besides your impressive academic degrees. Have you ever written an equity research, debt research or economic research report in a professional capacity? If you have, then you may let me see a sample. If I am impressed with your writing skills, I may have your CV forwarded to someone who will favorably or unfavorably review it with the sole aim of hiring you.

T22.

3 Likes

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
@OP. It's isn't FARE but FAIR. wink. Nothing is fair in life. You just have to define yourself and work your way up. If you resign to fate and refuse to take charge of your future, you will continue to get what isn't fair in life.
The first job I did after graduating with good grades in engineering was a teaching job worth less than 15k/month. I didn't last beyond 3 weeks due to regular absence as a result of attending job tests and interviews in organizations. Now I earn more than 15 times that amount on a monthly basis.
It's just a starting point. Don't give up.

1 Like

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by 377: 7:13pm On Jul 09, 2012
I want to thank u all for ur advice.though i have finished d Masters in Financial Economics but d Msc Financial Mathematics am about to write my Final exams.though i dont have any experience yet on research or any other area.i believe God will see me true.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by DisGuy: 7:29pm On Jul 09, 2012
do a PhD they will consider a fair deal grin

but with the way things are in nigeria, many companies can get away with paying what they consider fair wages o
though they might have to deal with lots of new faces every other month

too many graduates chasing very little jobs
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by mcstan18(m): 7:53am On Jul 10, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

Where in Nigeria do they offer the highlighted courses? I am impressed to know that these courses can be studied at a naija university. We are improving well!

Anyway, that 25K is too small. It is insultingly less than 200 dollars. That can hardly pay half a full month's rent. You should normally earn in the range of 1.8M-4.0M Naira per annum at any of the reputable asset management firms in Lagos.

Do as Violet has advised. Judiciously submit your CV to any finance and investment house that exists in Lagos and maybe Abuja. In fact, FCSL on 15 Ribadu Road off Awolowo Road, Ikoyi is currently recruiting management trainees. ARM is almost concluding its recruitment of entry level staff. Both companies are in Ikoyi; both companies pay above 2M on the average, per annum. Run there and submit your CV. Even sef, AIMS Asset Management, Investment Research Nigeria (Thaddeus Investment) and even CSL(FCMB investment and brokerage house) are all places you can submit your CV and be called for test before this month ends.

My fear is that you don't have any other selling point besides your impressive academic degrees. Have you ever written an equity research, debt research or economic research report in a professional capacity? If you have, then you may let me see a sample. If I am impressed with your writing skills, I may have your CV forwarded to someone who will favorably or unfavorably review it with the sole aim of hiring you.

T22.

I SENT YOU A MAIL. COULD YOU PLEASE READ AND KINDLY REPLY SIR. GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 9:11am On Jul 10, 2012
377: I want to thank u all for ur advice.though i have finished d Masters in Financial Economics but d Msc Financial Mathematics am about to write my Final exams.though i dont have any experience yet on research or any other area.i believe God will see me true.

With no experience whatsoever, I fear that you are really on a long thing. Nonetheless, I follow you to believe that God can see you through. Indeed, you may still land a job that pays even more than 5Million per annum. It is all about the God factor, which is the greatest connection anyone can boast of.

If the 25k offer is in line with what you want to do as a career in the future, and if the office is not far away from where you reside, then I sadly suggest you accept the offer and do it and learn from people there while simultaneously applying for jobs elsewhere. Once you get a better offer, immediately drop the 25K job like a hot plate. As things stand now, you have good academic degrees but you cannot immediately add any noticeable value in the world of finance. This should count against you when negotiating salaries with unstructured companies (like the one that made you an offer).

Lastly, and repetitively, if it is finance (buy-side or sell-side) you want to do, and if the company making you the 25k offer does any of the things that interest you, then accept the offer and learn from seniors in the company. Learn as if your life depended on what you would be doing. Ask questions and try to know why they do the things they do and the impact of these things on business decisions. If you hungrily learn this way, then you are almost sure of acquiring a knowledge that many people with 2 years work experience cannot even boast of. Back in the days, I did this and it worked for me. In less than one year, I got to a level (knowledge-wise) that some people with 2 years professional experience in securities management can hardly boast of. It is all about being hungry for knowledge..All these 10 years work experience stories are just stories; some people with 6 years experience can be more knowledgeable on the job than those with 10 years experience. Everything mostly depends on one's exposure and the quality of people one has worked with and learned from; what one has been able to do over the past years. I am happy that many naija companies now largely promote skilled staff based on what they know and the quality of their contributions and value added, not how long they have been working in a field.

I will leave you to agree or disagree with my point of view regarding your initial query.

All the best omo oba!

T22.

1 Like

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 9:25am On Jul 10, 2012
Dis Guy: do a PhD they will consider a fair deal grin

but with the way things are in nigeria, many companies can get away with paying what they consider fair wages o
though they might have to deal with lots of new faces every other month

too many graduates chasing very little jobs

Dis guy, the highlighted is true. But let me add that such companies bring in people and once they see that these people can add value almost immediately (say after about 2-3 weeks of joining),then the companies will want to pay them for what they are actually worth because of the fear of losing them to competitors. No company wants to spend millions training staff. Many people want already made stuff. If you think I am making a bogus statement, then ask our sisters world over. cheesy

On the other hand, once the companies notice a below par or par performance after about 2 months of working, they are likely not to review salaries because of the assumption that they can in fact get other average staff once a group of average staff decides to leave.

This explains why Shell is doing everything it can to prevent some of its top staff from being poached by the almighty Total...Although the poaching is always happening; we see it here and there.

In general, employees will always move to places with better benefits. Utility is increasing in wealth for most people. If it were not so, then everybody would aspire to become secondary school teachers and earn less than 100K per month.

T22
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 9:34am On Jul 10, 2012
mcstan_18:

I SENT YOU A MAIL. COULD YOU PLEASE READ AND KINDLY REPLY SIR. GOD BLESS YOU.

Hi,

I didn't see it O. Would you kindly resend?

Thanks,

T22
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by 377: 1:35pm On Jul 10, 2012
My first degree was in Abia state university,masters in financial economics university of Abuja.Msc Financial mathematics National mathematical Center abuja.is a joint degree programme with Uniabuja.i want to thank every body for ur advice.the position d gave me is project development officer.God will help me.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by nitrogen(m): 1:42pm On Jul 10, 2012
^^^ Uniabuja
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by violent(m): 4:29pm On Jul 10, 2012
377: My first degree was in Abia state university,masters in financial economics university of Abuja.Msc Financial mathematics National mathematical Center abuja.is a joint degree programme with Uniabuja.i want to thank every body for ur advice.the position d gave me is project development officer.God will help me.

In which sector does this company operate?

In my opinion, you really can't complain of a lower wage if the company and the sector commands such. It wouldn't matter how brilliant your academics are. If my driver has an MBA from Harvard, i wouldn't really pay him a hundred grand because of his degree.

I know being out of Job is not easy, but sometimes, being pigeonholed in a company or a sector where you don't belong isn't necessarily better. Why, with a masters in Financial Mathematics would you want to work as a Project Development officer? angry angry You are bloody better than that mate!!!!

Get out there and network. Prove yourself and show people what kind of stuff you are made up. Write a sample proposal for a risk model and send it out to financial houses. Get on excel and design optimization spreadsheets that anyone will kill for. Truth is, people may not know what their company is missing until you show them.

Unfortunately, this is not as easy as i may be making it, but I've been there and i have done it, and i know it is doable. My experience is probably a lot worse than yours.

2 Likes

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2012
violent:

In which sector does this company operate?

In my opinion, you really can't complain of a lower wage if the company and the sector commands such. It wouldn't matter how brilliant your academics are. If my driver has an MBA from Harvard, i wouldn't really pay him a hundred grand because of his degree.

I know being out of Job is not easy, but sometimes, being pigeonholed in a company or a sector where you don't belong isn't necessarily better. Why, with a masters in Financial Mathematics would you want to work as a Project Development officer? angry angry You are bloody better than that mate!!!!

Get out there and network. Prove yourself and show people what kind of stuff you are made up. Write a sample proposal for a risk model and send it out to financial houses. Get on excel and design optimization spreadsheets that anyone will kill for. Truth is, people may not know what their company is missing until you show them.

Unfortunately, this is not as easy as i may be making it, but I've been there and i have done it, and i know it is doable. My experience is probably a lot worse than yours.

OP, highlighted is a way to go.

T22
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 11, 2012
@ OP,
It is "fair" not "fare". Please correct yourself.
Let me be very candid-
Apparently you have no work experience? And you have looked for a job, hence the two masters? Correct me if I'm wrong.
You can take the job, if and only if, you won't spend more than your monthly salary on transportation. Or you can choose to volunteer in companies and gather experience.
I wish you all the best.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by Saifullah01: 8:39am On Jul 11, 2012
I hope they restore part time programmes.... I fell in love with that financial mathematics at first sihgt, can anyone elaborate more on whether that collabo between uni abj and the math center is NUC accredited.?
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by DisGuy: 9:13am On Jul 11, 2012
who changed the topic? banker?
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 11, 2012
Saifullah01: I hope they restore part time programmes.... I fell in love with that financial mathematics at first sihgt, can anyone elaborate more on whether that collabo between uni abj and the math center is NUC accredited.?

M.sc Financial mathematics is a JDP (joint degree programme) by both the national Mathematical Centre and the University of Abuja. Lectures hold in the NMC while UNiversity of Abuja just issues the certificate.
Lectures hold only @ the Mathematical Centre, not at the University.
the course is NUC accredited.

1 Like

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 11:52am On Jul 11, 2012
oremiti: a lot of people in this contry are surfering , this surfer continue without closing date , but there is always solution to every problem , many people are lazy laziness ,But there is a global company that want to help lazy people the best poverty eradication company in the whole world , count yourself lucky if you read this post , do you know you can start business with zero capital and compete with cocane baron, this company stand the best of the best in the world , they will turn you around ,like me i have not invested kobo and i ma making hell of money everyday , i am not going to talk too much , i am not going to post link ,website or my phone number But loook very well you will see ,The easiest money on the planet , i am looking for buyer to buy my house so i can have more capital with this company , this company is ready to spoil u with money

Bros, haba, people hardly surf in Naija. If you said a lot of people surf in Cape Town, for example, I would agree with you because I have seen that myself. But bros, how many people can surf in Lagos, not to now talk of the entire naija?

T22

1 Like

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by ayox2003: 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2012
tanimola22:

Bros, haba, people hardly surf in Naija. If you said a lot of people surf in Cape Town, for example, I would agree with you because I have seen that myself. But bros, how many people can surf in Lagos, not to now talk of the entire naija?

T22

You must be kidding! Stop pulling our "Surfers" leg. Cos he actually meant "suffer". God bless Nigeria! cheesy

Frawzey.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by AjanleKoko: 12:40pm On Jul 11, 2012
Yes, it's fair.
Pay is not determined by the number of degrees you have. It's not a government decree. It is higher than the National minimum wage, after all wink

1 Like

Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2012
AjanleKoko: Yes, it's fair.
Pay is not determined by the number of degrees you have. It's not a government decree. It is higher than the National minimum wage, after all wink

Based on your wide industry experience, could you exhaustively enumerate the determinants of pay?

The theory is well-known, but a real world perspective, as is the case in naija, would be more than adequate.

T22
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by 377: 2:05pm On Jul 11, 2012
I dont know who changed my topic i was d person that posted it.anyway d Financial Mathematics is fully acredited by NUC and d lecturers are drawn from Unibadan,Unilorin,Uniabuja,Unijos etc.d course is run @ d center.u can call me on 08060278222 if u want to no more about d programme.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by AjanleKoko: 2:07pm On Jul 11, 2012
tanimola22:

Based on your wide industry experience, could you exhaustively enumerate the determinants of pay?

The theory is well-known, but a real world perspective, as is the case in naija, would be more than adequate.

T22

It's not exactly empirical. Some industries, such as the financial sector, FMCG, telecom, oil and gas, have extensive processes for benchmarking pay. They look at average salaries in their industries, global trends, local cost of living, cost of experience, demand, and a few other factors.

That is why you can get something like 3m starting salary in banking, 2m starting salary in telecom, and maybe 8m starting salary in oil and gas.
Apart from oil and gas, other industries generally look at what they consider to be your typical costs (Cost of Living), and pay you a markup on top.

Outside the regulated industries, there is really no salary benchmarking. Entrepreneurs will pay you what they feel they can afford. It would be hard to expect a company with around 10-15m annual turnover to pay any one individual a salary of N3m a year, considering their overheads and cost of capital. I'm a part-time entrepreneur myself, and I hire people. I would never pay that amount of money to any individual, unless he is delivering at least 200% of that amount in value.
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by tanimola22: 3:41pm On Jul 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

It's not exactly empirical. Some industries, such as the financial sector, FMCG, telecom, oil and gas, have extensive processes for benchmarking pay. They look at average salaries in their industries, global trends, local cost of living, cost of experience, demand, and a few other factors.

That is why you can get something like 3m starting salary in banking, 2m starting salary in telecom, and maybe 8m starting salary in oil and gas.
Apart from oil and gas, other industries generally look at what they consider to be your typical costs (Cost of Living), and pay you a markup on top.

Outside the regulated industries, there is really no salary benchmarking. Entrepreneurs will pay you what they feel they can afford. It would be hard to expect a company with around 10-15m annual turnover to pay any one individual a salary of N3m a year, considering their overheads and cost of capital. I'm a part-time entrepreneur myself, and I hire people. I would never pay that amount of money to any individual, unless he is delivering at least 200% of that amount in value.

Thanks.

Hahaha, lol to the highlighted.

Truly, a company can only pay what it can comfortably afford. Fair enough!

T22
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by AjanleKoko: 4:11pm On Jul 11, 2012
^^
Come to think of it, how many of these one-man businesses are making a turnover of 15m a year?
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by nitrogen(m): 4:46pm On Jul 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Obviously, from the highlighted, it is only an indispensable employee that can zap almost 20-30% of the total revenue of a coy, but, how do one know whether the person about to be employed will be indispensable?, at least one wouldnt want to pay that large amount to the person without accessing his capabilities through workdone over a certain period, now, wont the unattractive and meagre salary offered at the onset drive him away (not forgetting that he is going to be an indispensable employee soon)?

If an employer is in that situation, what is the way out?
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by AjanleKoko: 5:13pm On Jul 11, 2012
nitrogen:
Obviously, from the highlighted, it is only an indispensable employee that can zap almost 20-30% of the total revenue of a coy, but, how do one know whether the person about to be employed will be indispensable?, at least one wouldnt want to pay that large amount to the person without accessing his capabilities through workdone over a certain period, now, wont the unattractive and meagre salary offered at the onset drive him away (not forgetting that he is going to be an indispensable employee soon)?

If an employer is in that situation, what is the way out?

All na negotiation plus risk.
I once hired someone (based on recommendation by someone I respect very much), and I paid exactly what the going rate would be if the person was working in, say, an ad agency. The job brief was business development. I fired the person after 4 months.

The next person, I offered half of what I paid person A. He complained and told me that was not his worth, but I asked him to prove himself before making any demands.. So far, not bad. I have recognized that I have to probably move the person further along the curve myself, till the point where he'll get a better offer and leave, but I must at least get the monetary value out of the person. Next person I hire after him will be better paid, because I'll be looking for more than what person B is offering right now.

I guess that is how entrepreneurs cope. For me, I get mostly young and eager people, sometimes youth corpers that a 30k salary will mean a lot to. Intersperse them with a few experienced people who will take up the bulk of your workload, and wage bill. The younguns will learn from the experienced people and take over from them, or fill in when the experienced guy gets fired or leaves. Yes, gets fired. We entrepreneurs are quite intolerant of incompetence, it usually costs us a lot of money we can ill afford grin
Re: 25,000 Naira Salary As A Banker: Is This Fair? by nitrogen(m): 10:37pm On Jul 11, 2012
AjanleKoko:

All na negotiation plus risk.
I once hired someone (based on recommendation by someone I respect very much), and I paid exactly what the going rate would be if the person was working in, say, an ad agency. The job brief was business development. I fired the person after 4 months.

The next person, I offered half of what I paid person A. He complained and told me that was not his worth, but I asked him to prove himself before making any demands.. So far, not bad. I have recognized that I have to probably move the person further along the curve myself, till the point where he'll get a better offer and leave, but I must at least get the monetary value out of the person. Next person I hire after him will be better paid, because I'll be looking for more than what person B is offering right now.

I guess that is how entrepreneurs cope. For me, I get mostly young and eager people, sometimes youth corpers that a 30k salary will mean a lot to. Intersperse them with a few experienced people who will take up the bulk of your workload, and wage bill. The younguns will learn from the experienced people and take over from them, or fill in when the experienced guy gets fired or leaves. Yes, gets fired. We entrepreneurs are quite intolerant of incompetence, it usually costs us a lot of money we can ill afford grin
Seriously, all these requires a whole lot of human resources management knowledge, and i dont even think an employer will want to employ best of judgement (use of discretion) method for stuffs like this.

Btw, i salute una entreprenuers o, not quite an easy task to manage all the Ms of production at the same time, especially with the unstable and unpredictable behaviour of one of the Ms (Man).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Read What Your Stars Say About You Here / The Doctor And Other Doctors...a Battle To Fight Later / Photo: See This Youngest Soldier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.