Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO (2270 Views)

Rotary District Governor Mike Omotosho Walks To End Polio (photos) / WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free / Polio Spread Confined To Only Two Nigerian States - Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 09, 2012
The World Health Organisation has identified Nigeria as the country with the highest figure of poliomyelitis cases in the world.

The World Health Organisation Country Representative in Nigeria, Dr. David Okello, disclosed this in Lagos on Saturday, at the installation ceremony of the new District Governor of Rotary International District 9110, Dr. Kamoru Omotosho, for 2012-2013.

Okello, who noted that Nigeria was ranked alongside two other countries, Pakistan and Afghanistan, which are still grappling with the problem.

According to him, “Indeed Nigeria is now the largest contributor of global polio burden -nearly 60 per cent. Nigeria is also the only country in the world to have all three types of polio virus — Type 1, Type 3, and circulating vaccine-derived Type 2 viruses.”

He explained that the transmission of the disease in Nigeria poses a real threat to the global polio eradication effort.

Giving further statistics, he stated that of the 49 cases reported in the country currently, “two-thirds are from four particular sanctuaries — the northern states of Borno, Kano, Sokoto and Zamfara.”

He, however, commended the concerted efforts of Rotarians worldwide at eradicating the disease as well as committing their expertise and resources to improving the welfare of communities.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/07/08/nigeria-is-the-worst-hit-polio-nation-who/
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by dotcomnamename: 5:23pm On Jul 09, 2012
HNosegbe: The World Health Organisation has identified Nigeria as the country with the highest figure of poliomyelitis cases in the world.

The World Health Organisation Country Representative in Nigeria, Dr. David Okello, disclosed this in Lagos on Saturday, at the installation ceremony of the new District Governor of Rotary International District 9110, Dr. Kamoru Omotosho, for 2012-2013.

Okello, who noted that Nigeria was ranked alongside two other countries, Pakistan and Afghanistan, which are still grappling with the problem.

According to him, “Indeed Nigeria is now the largest contributor of global polio burden -nearly 60 per cent. Nigeria is also the only country in the world to have all three types of polio virus — Type 1, Type 3, and circulating vaccine-derived Type 2 viruses.”

He explained that the transmission of the disease in Nigeria poses a real threat to the global polio eradication effort.

Giving further statistics, he stated that of the 49 cases reported in the country currently, “two-thirds are from four particular sanctuaries — the northern states of Borno, Kano, Sokoto and Zamfara.”

He, however, commended the concerted efforts of Rotarians worldwide at eradicating the disease as well as committing their expertise and resources to improving the welfare of communities.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/07/08/nigeria-is-the-worst-hit-polio-nation-who/

So undecided ?
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by nikkyshyne(f): 5:42pm On Jul 09, 2012
I don't believe this shit. WHO should shove their statistics in their arse.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by ebamma(m): 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2012
naija i hail thee
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by ayox2003: 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2012
nikkyshyne: I don't believe this shit. WHO should shove their statistics in their arse.
So what do you believe?
Politicans unfulfilled promises, right?

Frawzey.
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by inspirenet: 5:51pm On Jul 09, 2012
ebamma: naija i hail thee

smiley
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by tinadtreasure: 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2012
It‘s really dishearting to hear this after the Government had poured in so much money? Cos i served in the north, passed out last month, precisely kano state, and i participated in the monthly exercise.
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by Homar(m): 6:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
Useless illeterate hausas and their stupid belief that by vaccination their women will become sterile . Stupid northern hausas .
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by mikeapollo: 6:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
Dont worry, Nigerians are the happiest people on earth. So say some foolish people, and some idiots believe too!
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
nikkyshyne: I don't believe this shit. WHO should shove their statistics in their arse.
Keep disbelieving every fact!
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by hardywaltz(m): 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
Imagine a Nigeria without the North most of our negative statistics will be positive. SMH

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by idirect(m): 6:14pm On Jul 09, 2012
Fresh Ogogoro Air grin grin
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by mhsanni(f): 6:26pm On Jul 09, 2012
Nigeria played a big role in preventing polio eradication worldwide. while d initial polio erradication campaign was goin on some places in d North refused to vaccinate deir children which invariably led to d persistence of an active reservour for d virus...Not only did we keep d virus active , we also succeeded in spreading it to previously declared polio free countriessad
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by angiemartinez(f): 8:35pm On Jul 09, 2012
i creatd a thread on dis b4, i tink d headline shud b northern nig d worst hit. Frm d LGA facilitators 2 d ward level, n 2 d teams r nt ready 2 eradicate polio. Its so sad, litle wonda my frnd always says d hausas r begers, so if polio is eradicatd hw kan day beg?
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by Litmus: 9:18pm On Jul 09, 2012
I believe, people in the North were suspicious of the Polio vacins because of the fear then and believed by many still today that HIV was introduced to Africa via Polio Vacins in DRC. Given this suspicion and fear who can blame them.
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 09, 2012
hardywaltz: Imagine a Nigeria without the North most of our negative statistics will be positive. SMH

And I was going to say this ooo. May the lord let us split.
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by walcolm(m): 6:08am On Jul 10, 2012
tinadtreasure: It‘s really dishearting to hear this after the Government had poured in so much money? Cos i served in the north, passed out last month, precisely kano state, and i participated in the monthly exercise.

i served in Ebonyi more than 10 years ago and i was involved in the vaccination exercise...i'm really shocked this thing is still around
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by AroOkigbo(m): 7:19am On Jul 10, 2012
No thanks to "nothing" (abi northern) Nigeria.
Always pulling us backward!
Re: Nigeria Is The Worst-hit Polio Nation — WHO by TheGeneral1(m): 7:32am On Jul 10, 2012
embarassed tongue grin NIGERIA'S PROBLEMS ARE UNCOUNTABLE! ALL WORLD NEGATIVES STATISTICS YOU ARE LEADING - HABBA!! YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF. SOON NIGERIA WILL OVERTAKE AFGHANISTAN IN SUCID BOMBING.

(1) (Reply)

Whiten Your Teeth Naturally With Banana Peels. / NMA Strike Update: Nigeria's Intractable Healthcare Crises; Why JOHESU Is Wrong. / Drinking Krest Bitter Lemon Does Not Prevent Pregnancy-dr Eric

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.