Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here (7093 Views)

Hotel Accountants Let's Meet Here And Discuss / Professional Accountants In The House? / What Is The Average Pay Of Chartered Accountants In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by ofune: 11:23pm On Aug 16, 2012
I jus completed d finals stage of ICAN exams. I need a graduate accounting job. Pls send a mail if u v got sumtin 4 me. Email: lynkares4u@ymail.com
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by ade95: 1:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
musulumi: The is a thread you can throw up any challenge and difficulty you are facing and let us all team up and explore the individual competencies deposited in us. This thread can equally be useful for ICAN students, Accounting undergraduates to ask questions and let the experts answer you.
I have HND, ACA, i work too.
sir with ur HND. Qaulification did u suffer any inhumane discrimination b4 nd after getting job,nd wat ur advce 4 hnd holders
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by wakagirl: 4:38pm On Aug 21, 2012
Please i need to know if someone with poor maths background can study Accounting, its a matured student and on part time basis.
Thank you.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 22, 2012
Foremost... Accounting and Mathematics are two difference concept because the former revolve around the principle of double entry . And in answer to your question! With your weak backgound in Math... You can still do account,however, you will only have problem when you are not at ease with figures because being an accountant you work with figures based on the concept of every corresponding debit have a corresponding credit.

By and large... Having identified math as your weakness... You can actually work on it because as an accountant you will be require to make somes financial decision which involve some element of finance!
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Reuben2012(m): 8:56pm On Aug 23, 2012
i love this thread
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by yommy2sure(m): 8:32am On Aug 24, 2012
Hello house, pls does anyone know the minimum/maximum no of years/months it is expected of one to get chattered if on is taken for audit in KPMG (science background no exemption in any stage at all). Thanks.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by funkysamy: 12:43pm On Aug 24, 2012
hi,

if you are an acca student in the house, will like to let you know that i have copies of new and original versions of the of the 2012 f9 study pack and the revision kit for f6. if interested, kindly contact me on 08155276848.thanks
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by yommy2sure(m): 7:00am On Aug 25, 2012
yommy2sure: Hello house, pls does anyone know the minimum/maximum no of years/months it is expected of one to get chattered if on is taken for audit in KPMG (science background no exemption in any stage at all). Thanks.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 25, 2012
It is Kaplan or BPP.....
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Trulie(m): 7:27am On Aug 28, 2012
Am a corp memba. Read economics but wants a change of carear in accountinq 2ru ican..what are the requiremnts and can i register by myself without goinq to study centre for help (as i dont av d cost to do so)?
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Trulie(m): 7:31am On Aug 28, 2012
Just gone tru their site..pls can i make use of statemnt of result in place of transcript?
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by ofune: 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
Yes u can ur statement of result, ur call up letter n oda necessary certificates 2 apply 4 exemption.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Trulie(m): 1:08pm On Aug 30, 2012
@ofune. Thanx but i was told i would be asked to present an attestatn letter from a refree who by himself must be a charterred accountant..this is really givinq me some ache in d head as am servinq @d core part of benue state where such person(s) is/are not present.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Gbejohn: 5:53am On Aug 31, 2012
wonderful tread but job openings for ACAs would be appreciated
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Goldenskin: 9:13pm On Sep 01, 2012
musulumi: 1.what could have possibly been the error committed if a debtor's balance is having a credit balance?
2. Where is Withholding tax from corporate organisations remitted ?
Let us start our debate on these questions first

A credit balance in a debtors account implies your debtors have paid Ɣ☺u much more than they owe Ɣ☺u or a wrong posting into the debtors account

Withholding tax on limited liability companies should be remitted to the FIRS while that of partnerships,sole proprietorship or individuals should go to the respective state board of internal revenue

1 Like

Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by IdrisJimoh1: 1:10am On Sep 02, 2012
Please I need your help..
1) Am an AAT holder and accounting graduate with a first class honours. Also I'm already in the PE1 stage of ICAN but have not had a privilege to garner experience in any accounting firm. Please I'll appreciate it if anybody could link me up with a firm where I can acquire proper experience. I served in a bank but rejected their offer to be retained because it wasn't related to accounting profession for which I have passion.
I'll also appreciate any useful document or e-books on IFRS and the new PITA
PLEASE MY EMAIL IS jimmyjoiy@yahoo.com

2) Recently I got an invitation for training in an insurance company but not certain if the employment would be accounting related..please I really need to have experience in accounting firm.

I would really appreciate your advices and help on both issues above
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 02, 2012
You have a good background in Accounting and being a first class product! My kindly advice for you is to finish the ICAN first and then begin your job search in all these big multinational companies. Be rest assure! You are a good product.

And in respect of the E-books on IFRS and the PITA (Amended)... I will surely send you a copy of the PITA 2morrow when I got to office and about the IFRS....kindly visit these site for up to date info on IAS and IFRS.http://www.iasplus.com/en/standards.

Best of Luck

1 Like

Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Ufeolorun(m): 9:13pm On Sep 02, 2012
wakagirl: Please i need to know if someone with poor maths background can study Accounting, its a matured student and on part time basis.
Thank you.
You can do it if you have the passion though a good maths background will help you in some areas like performance management and/or financial management but Accountancy has moved greatly from traditional book keeping/management accounting jargon to financial reporting(knowing Gaap/Igaap and and interpretation
in fact I usually tell people that there's now a fine line between Accountancy and Law( am not looking at taxation alone).Interpretation of financial reports have taken central role hence comparing accountancy to law makes more sense.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by wrexs: 12:45am On Sep 03, 2012
TEXZLEM: My professional colleague...let us share our view on this issue. Experience has shown that many people engage in Biz without doing feasibility report or Business plan.

As a professional Accountant... I am privilege to have written some plan for some biz owner. If you have written one... Let us discuss the content of forecasted cashflow,profit and loss, balance sheet and breakeven point. Assumption adopted.

Most Nig small scale biz do not have data... And they believe you to manufacture data off air and balance it all...

Thanks for this input. I own an Ltd Biz registered in 2010,and I've just realise the need to av a proper account record,but I dont know how to go about as I cant afford to higher a Pro. For now,I av a receipt booklet where I ensure transactions are recorded...Plz advise. My email add is wrex001@yahoo.ca
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by wakagirl: 5:58pm On Sep 03, 2012
TEXZLEM: Foremost... Accounting and Mathematics are two difference concept because the former revolve around the principle of double entry . And in answer to your question! With your weak backgound in Math... You can still do account,however, you will only have problem when you are not at ease with figures because being an accountant you work with figures based on the concept of every corresponding debit have a corresponding credit.

By and large... Having identified math as your weakness... You can actually work on it because as an accountant you will be require to make somes financial decision which involve some element of finance!

Ufeolorun:
You can do it if you have the passion though a good maths background will help you in some areas like performance management and/or financial management but Accountancy has moved greatly from traditional book keeping/management accounting jargon to financial reporting(knowing Gaap/Igaap and and interpretation
in fact I usually tell people that there's now a fine line between Accountancy and Law( am not looking at taxation alone).Interpretation of financial reports have taken central role hence comparing accountancy to law makes more sense.

Thanks, the passion and will is there but afraid of mathematical aspect of it and wondering if that will be an issue like an English student being weak in Literature doesnt make sense but not sure if both can be compared
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Elacutey(f): 11:21pm On Jan 10, 2013
want 2 sit 4 d pe1 dis may diet.pls I want 2 knw when is d right time 2 register 4 d exams and when 2 start attending lectures 4 it as I will b goin 4 nysc batch A dis march.pls I need answers urgently cos am so confused right now.thanks.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Sekso(m): 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2013
JARUS, sometimes you make some of us feel so dull with the way you over-simplify established areas of difficulty in the ICAN examinations.
I met you on a thread sometime ago where you stated that you studied for ICAN exam for 5 days and still earned yourself awards. Now, you are making people appear very foolish for taking AAA exam more than once.
I need you to understand that you may be operating at some level of genius and that does not make it criminal for others to fail where you passed with little or no effort. Its best you tell us the strategies you adopted to conquer the challenges of some tough courses like AAA rather than suggesting we are dumb. Patronage won't help here sir!
Perhaps you are part of the less than 10% who passed AAA in May 2012 diet. Either that, or you are on the same IQ level with them. Whatever your level of knowledge doesn't make it less shocking to have over 90% of candidates failing a Paper. To me, it is outrageous.
Regards!

1 Like

Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by nitrogen(m): 3:07pm On Jan 11, 2013
Sekso: JARUS, sometimes you make some of us feel so dull with the way you over-simplify established areas of difficulty in the ICAN examinations.
I met you on a thread sometime ago where you stated that you studied for ICAN exam for 5 days and still earned yourself awards. Now, you are making people appear very foolish for taking AAA exam more than once.
I need you to understand that you may be operating at some level of genius and that does not make it criminal for others to fail where you passed with little or no effort. Its best you tell us the strategies you adopted to conquer the challenges of some tough courses like AAA rather than suggesting we are dumb. Patronage won't help here sir!
Perhaps you are part of the less than 10% who passed AAA in May 2012 diet. Either that, or you are on the same IQ level with them. Whatever your level of knowledge doesn't make it less shocking to have over 90% of candidates failing a Paper. To me, it is outrageous.
Regards!
Are you sure about the bolded? I don't think there is any established area of difficulty in ICAN, in fact in most Exams, so far the questions set are not outside the syllabi, I think it is about reading extensively.

No need to even tell you that ICAN lifts questions from their past examinations, so if one does his assignment very well, then there is 70% assurance that one will pass (With God).

PS. No offence meant, its just my one cent.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Sekso(m): 7:43pm On Jan 11, 2013
@ Nitrogen sir; no offence taken! Infact your words attune more to reality! However, I am not sure any reasonable institute should be comfortable with 90% failure rate. Neither am I sure that a all of these unsuccessful candidate did not reach the 50% pass mark. Nigerians are not that dull sir. The institute, am sure would do anything to attune to laid down policies on pass rate to further inflate or steady their integrity.
I have borrowed your cent but I need you to ponder on the foregoing sir. That AAA fell the mighty and I was not so small myself. But I thank God for the november diet. Now, I know that ICAN is not always a work-over like the likes of @ Jarius feel.
And, Jarius sir; take no offence too. Just teach us your methods.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Paulipopor: 8:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
Elacutey: want 2 sit 4 d pe1 dis may diet.pls I want 2 knw when is d right time 2 register 4 d exams and when 2 start attending lectures 4 it as I will b goin 4 nysc batch A dis march.pls I need answers urgently cos am so confused right now.thanks.
if you want to write PE1 in May, you should have started lectures first week in january. you can continue the lectures when you leave camp. The best time to register for the exam is first/second week in April, to avoid the late hour rush.

@Sesko AAA is not so difficult, i wrote it once too. You just need to read wide. I read from ICAN pack, Accounting Today (foreign) and attended lectures. Did lots of case study and thats all. I wish you guys the best.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Jarus(m): 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
Sekso: JARUS, sometimes you make some of us feel so dull with the way you over-simplify established areas of difficulty in the ICAN examinations.
Regards!

I was qualified already by May 2012.

And you need to go read those threads again. I encourage people, I demystify fears, I allay fears. If you see that as making people look dumb then there is nothing I can do it. I have in a couple of ICAN classes and one of the first things I do to my students to demystify these pessimistic mentalities. I build hope in people. I don't scare people, I don't believe any exam is insurmountable and if you want me to say ICAN is difficult I won't say it because i don't believe it is.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Jarus(m): 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
Regards!

I was qualified already by May 2012.

And you need to go read those threads again. I encourage people, I demystify fears, I allay fears. If you see that as making people look dumb then there is nothing I can do about it. I have taught in a couple of ICAN classes and one of the first things I do to my students to demystify these pessimistic mentalities. I build hope in people. I don't scare people, I don't believe any exam is insurmountable and if you want me to say ICAN is difficult I won't say it because i don't believe it is.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Sekso(m): 9:20pm On Jan 11, 2013
@ Paulipopor and Jarius; I admire your patience here! On other threads by now I should be running cos the insults would have been unbearable. I agree with both of you! Its just that ICAN sometimes mock preparations. One has to equally make spiritual efforts. I appreciate your mature contributions.
Lest I forget, @ Paulipopor; I am writing ICAN cos I need to conquer local challenges first before international. I also doubt if ACCA can do much better than ICAN with all the costs attached to the former. They are almost at per here in Nigeria so why bother myself? To make my decision finer, ACCA holders must now face ICAN. There are better career grounds to cover in recent times than pursuing ACCA. In a nutshell, I am not interested in ACCA at all.
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by nitrogen(m): 9:34pm On Jan 11, 2013
Paulipopor:
if you want to write PE1 in May, you should have started lectures first week in january. you can continue the lectures when you leave camp. The best time to register for the exam is first/second week in April, to avoid the late hour rush.

@Sesko AAA is not so difficult, i wrote it once too. You just need to read wide. I read from ICAN pack, Accounting Today (foreign) and attended lectures. Did lots of case study and thats all. I wish you guys the best.
That is the extensive reading/studying we are talking about, it is about leaving no stone unturned.

Btw, Sesko, I guess it is the late release of Nov diet results that is getting you tensed up, chill man! I believe the results will soon be out, and I feel that february till may is quite enough for proper preparations for the next diet given any condition.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Jarus(m): 10:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
ICAN will never say anyone fails if he scores 50% or above, which is half. That's fair in my opinion.

It doesn't matter if 90% didn't score up to half which is very possible.
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Sekso(m): 10:04pm On Jan 11, 2013
@ Nitrogen; I guess you caught me. Lol
Re: Professional Accountants, Let's Meet Here by Jarus(m): 10:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
My major problem with most students, right from my secondary school days up to university, up to ICAN, is that they easily get thrown offbalance anytime a question is not direct or a little off-syllabus. I don't believe exam should be about syllabus alone , there is nothing wrong in chipping in one or two general questions apart from the regualar 'define this', 'what is XX?', 'discuss 5 xtics of YY' and all those questions. In my FA old PE1, imagine being asked questions about excel, how to expand row etc. These are things you won't find in syllabus but clearly not out of order for someone in PE1 of ICAN.

Similarly, in last foundation economics, there was a question on 'currency redesign', obviously wantimg to test knowledge of economy in respect of Sanusi's currency redesign attempt. These are things you won't find in syllabus or even textbooks, but with common sense you should be able to answer this kind of question as an economics candidate in ICAN. With your ideas(mere listening to radio or hearing peppersoup joints gists or even reading politics section of Nairaland, you should be able to attempt this kind of questions and do well above average. But many students will expect direct, syllabus-programmed questions like 'what is elasticity of demand?'.

You're being trained to become a chartered accountant and even in practice there will be one-off, peculiar cases that will require your intuition.

Yet, 80% of ICAN questions are direct questions from syllabus which is enough to pass.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Countries With The Highest Salaries In 2015 (updated) / Nigeria Civil Defence Corps Application Forms On Sale For The 2012/13 Intake / "Between A Lawyer And A Blogger who is better at lying?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.