Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! (2010 Views)

At 19,i Am Yet To Choose A Career; Please Help / Advice Needed On Career,please. / Need Help With Choosing A Career? Please Read! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 4:23pm On Jul 10, 2012
I am a graduate of Computer Engineering and also hold a masters in Information Technology. I have worked in one of the leading Banks in Nigeria for the past six years and i am well payed. Though i work with the IT Dept, i do not have any IT certification! I do not even do any techie job at the Bank since my duty is purely administrative. I manage service contracts. I have been having sleepless night about my career of late because i feel i do not even have one! What will become of me if i leave the Bank. No experience, no certification. I am lost! I am willing to do some Microsoft certifications but i don't just want to cram and pass. I need to know the praticals but it is quite unfortunate that if i achieve this, i won't still apply my knowledge at the Bank because of my role and the certificate will expire afterwards. All my effort to redeploy to another unit within the department where i can gain some technical experience has been futile. I am 29 years and i have a feeling no company will employ me as a trainee. What certifications can i do that will land me a good job outside the bank?. IT Professionals, please advice.
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by yamakuza: 8:24pm On Jul 10, 2012
been waiting for ur thread since when you mentioned having sleepless nights on the other thread. Thankfully, your situation is not so dire. You have it better than most.

Just relax and get back to sleeping well.

ndidibabe: I am a graduate of Computer Engineering and also hold a masters in Information Technology. I have worked in one of the leading Banks in Nigeria for the past six years and i am well payed. Though i work with the IT Dept, i do not have any IT certification!

in IT, emaphasis is on know how, rather than certs. The qualifications you already possess are not mean, and can compare well with most of the certs out there. Add your 6 years experience too, and your CV is good to go.

Landing another job with your present qualifications and years of experience will be easy, but performing on that job might not be, depending on what roles you apply for.

I do not even do any techie job at the Bank since my duty is purely administrative. I manage service contracts. I have been having sleepless night about my career of late because i feel i do not even have one! What will become of me if i leave the Bank. No experience, no certification. I am lost!

you do have experience, and 6 years of it at that!

I wont advise that you focus on MSFT or other techie certs. Most people who start on that note end up getting tired of it and moving into management roles, where the money is, and where you are close to now.

Because of the type of work you currently do, i'll advise you look into these certs:

1. PMP/PRINCE2 - Project Mgt
2. ITIL - Service Mgt
3. CBAP - Business Analysis
4. CISA - Systems Audit, or any Risk Mgt cert
5. Six Sigma

I am willing to do some Microsoft certifications but i don't just want to cram and pass. I need to know the praticals but it is quite unfortunate that if i achieve this, i won't still apply my knowledge at the Bank because of my role and the certificate will expire afterwards. All my effort to redeploy to another unit within the department where i can gain some technical experience has been futile. I am 29 years and i have a feeling no company will employ me as a trainee. What certifications can i do that will land me a good job outside the bank?. IT Professionals, please advice.

why do you want technical or hands on roles? do you feel you will enjoy system admin, programming, database mgt or networking jobs better?
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 11:14pm On Jul 10, 2012
yamakuza: been waiting for ur thread since when you mentioned having sleepless nights on the other thread. Thankfully, your situation is not so dire. You have it better than most.

Just relax and get back to sleeping well.

in IT, emaphasis is on know how, rather than certs. The qualifications you already possess are not mean, and can compare well with most of the certs out there. Add your 6 years experience too, and your CV is good to go.

Landing another job with your present qualifications and years of experience will be easy, but performing on that job might not be, depending on what roles you apply for.

you do have experience, and 6 years of it at that!

I wont advise that you focus on MSFT or other techie certs. Most people who start on that note end up getting tired of it and moving into management roles, where the money is, and where you are close to now.

Because of the type of work you currently do, i'll advise you look into these certs:

1. PMP/PRINCE2 - Project Mgt
2. ITIL - Service Mgt
3. CBAP - Business Analysis
4. CISA - Systems Audit, or any Risk Mgt cert
5. Six Sigma

why do you want technical or hands on roles? do you feel you will enjoy system admin, programming, database mgt or networking jobs better?

Thanks for your analysis. I am full of hope . I think i will start CISA straight away. To your last question, i am envious of the techie guys in my office. Most of them change jobs like pampers. I guess the technical aspect of IT Is lucrative. Maybe, i was wrong. By the way, your analysis was very superb. God bless you. I will lay my hands on CISA, ITIL and PMP.
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by yamakuza: 1:43am On Jul 11, 2012
ndidibabe: Thanks for your analysis. I am full of hope . I think i will start CISA straight away. To your last question, i am envious of the techie guys in my office. Most of them change jobs like pampers. I guess the technical aspect of IT Is lucrative. Maybe, i was wrong. By the way, your analysis was very superb. God bless you. I will lay my hands on CISA, ITIL and PMP.

glad i could help.

wont be surprised if they change jobs that often cos the pay/working conditions for techies isnt so great/varies from place to place, or cos it gets monotonous after a while.

u can as well get close to them and watch them work or read on your own (any mcp, mcitp, mcsa/mcse track u fancy), though i suspect a bank environment isnt the best place to learn hands on, as most of those tasks are outsourced.

Read the MSFT books on your own, but get the CISA/CISSP, PMP and maybe ITIL certs first.
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 10:23pm On Jul 11, 2012
yamakuza:

glad i could help.

wont be surprised if they change jobs that often cos the pay/working conditions for techies isnt so great/varies from place to place, or cos it gets monotonous after a while.

u can as well get close to them and watch them work or read on your own (any mcp, mcitp, mcsa/mcse track u fancy), though i suspect a bank environment isnt the best place to learn hands on, as most of those tasks are outsourced.

Read the MSFT books on your own, but get the CISA/CISSP, PMP and maybe ITIL certs first.

Thanks, my brother. Please how do i go about the CISA and ITIL exams? Do i need to attend any training? How much does the training + exam cost? Can you recommend any place for the training? If i study hard, how soon can i pass these exams?
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by yamakuza: 10:52pm On Jul 11, 2012
ndidibabe: Thanks, my brother. Please how do i go about the CISA and ITIL exams? Do i need to attend any training? How much does the training + exam cost? Can you recommend any place for the training? If i study hard, how soon can i pass these exams?

cost of training varies from place to place, buts its like N120k for each of the 2 you mentioned in most top notch schools.

ITIL exam is like N34k/$225 (confirm from Aptech, Karrox, www.exin.com or www.pearsonvue.com ) while CISA is like N100k/$600 (details on https://www.isaca.org/Certification/Pages/Exam-Registration.aspx)

ITIL is very easy to pass on your own, if you get the right book(s). Moreso, you are already in that line of work.

I would however recommend PMP or PRINCE2 over ITIL based on several threads in this section where they've been compared in the past.

CISA is voluminous, so you might want to attend a bootcamp for that (eg AJ Silicon, RythexConsulting); plus you also get to learn from someone who's doing the do ...
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 11:12pm On Jul 11, 2012
yamakuza:

cost of training varies from place to place, buts its like N120k for each of the 2 you mentioned in most top notch schools.

ITIL exam is like N35k (confirm on 2test.com or vue.com) while CISA is like 90k/$600 (details on www.isaca.org)

ITIL is very easy to pass on your own, if you get the right book(s). Moreso, you are already in that line of work.

I would however recommend PMP or PRINCE2 over ITIL based on several threads in this section where they've ben compared in the past.

CISA is voluminous, so you might want to attend a bootcamp for that; plus you also get to learn from someone who's doing the do ...

Many thanks, sir. I appreciate your kindness.
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by yamakuza: 11:34pm On Jul 11, 2012
ndidibabe: Many thanks, sir. I appreciate your kindness.

hope u've checked the links above?

heres the itil vs pmp thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/69178/itil-vs-prince-2-certification/

https://www.nairaland.com/158291/project-management-pmp-prince-2

http://www.google.com.ng/cse?cx=partner-pub-6465801557104924%3A8423452970&ie=UTF-8&q=pmp+itil+prince2&sa=Search&siteurl=www.nairaland.com%2F987351%2Fcute-guys-boring-just-like%2F2%23987351.74&ref=www.nairaland.com%2Ffollowed&ss=6376j4638896j16#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=pmp%20itil%20prince2&gsc.page=1
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:51am On Jul 12, 2012
Please since you work in the banking sector ,all you need is to consolidate yourself.
The first question is what do you want?i.e what career path you want to follow as you know it is wide ,which area do you want to throw your kirt.
once you identify this .we look it together
Thank You.
Taiwo Bakare(ACA,SAP FI Certified)
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 9:56pm On Jul 12, 2012
yamakuza:

hope u've checked the links above?

heres the itil vs pmp thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/69178/itil-vs-prince-2-certification/

https://www.nairaland.com/158291/project-management-pmp-prince-2

http://www.google.com.ng/cse?cx=partner-pub-6465801557104924%3A8423452970&ie=UTF-8&q=pmp+itil+prince2&sa=Search&siteurl=www.nairaland.com%2F987351%2Fcute-guys-boring-just-like%2F2%23987351.74&ref=www.nairaland.com%2Ffollowed&ss=6376j4638896j16#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=pmp%20itil%20prince2&gsc.page=1

I just registered for the CISA training At AJ silicon today. I am preparing for the Dec exam. By the way, the training is only on Saturdays. Considering the volume of the course, will Satudays be enough to cover the curruculum
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by yamakuza: 1:13am On Jul 13, 2012
ndidibabe: I just register for the CISA training At AJ silicon today. I am preparing for the Dec exam. By the way, the training is only on Saturdays. Considering the volume of the course, will Satudays be enough to cover the curruculum

6 months is more than enough time to prepare.

if you read a chapter every night, you can finish the book in a month. 6 times/6 books in 6 months.

use the saturday lectures to ask questions, [s]not that you'll go there expecting to be taught/spoon fed oh[/s]!

#just saying

ps: why'd u choose AJ over Rythex?
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 6:15am On Jul 13, 2012
yamakuza:

6 months is more than enough time to prepare.

if you read a chapter every night, you can finish the book in a month. 6 times/6 books in 6 months.

use the saturday lectures to ask questions, [s]not that you'll go there expecting to be taught/spoon fed oh[/s]!

#just saying

ps: why'd u choose AJ over Rythex?

Proximity. You think Rythex is better?
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by yamakuza: 11:59am On Jul 13, 2012
ndidibabe: Proximity. You think Rythex is better?

not really. just gathering info.

from their sites, Rythex seems to run 2 day to 5 day programs while AJ programs are longer?

do you plan to take any other exam between now and november?

taking and passing a "cheap" exam like ITIL/MCP in the next 3 months can give you some experience/confidence ahead of the "tougher" CISA exam.
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 7:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
yamakuza:

not really. just gathering info.

from their sites, Rythex seems to run 2 day to 5 day programs while AJ programs are longer?

do you plan to take any other exam between now and november?

taking and passing a "cheap" exam like ITIL/MCP in the next 3 months can give you some experience/confidence ahead of the "tougher" CISA exam.

There you go, Bro. Not a bad Idea but i am not sure i can cope. Work + trying to concieve..lol.
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by yamakuza: 9:17pm On Jul 13, 2012
ndidibabe: There you go, Bro. Not a bad Idea but i am not sure i can cope. Work + trying to concieve..lol.

lol ... ok. triple congrats in advance !

http://www.theiia.org/intAuditor/itaudit/archives/2008/february/the-path-to-it-audit/

Happy reading!
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by ndidibabe(f): 5:26am On Jul 14, 2012
yamakuza:

lol ... ok. triple congrats in advance !

http://www.theiia.org/intAuditor/itaudit/archives/2008/february/the-path-to-it-audit/

Happy reading!

Thanks. The link was quite helpful.
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by weaseloo: 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2012
@ndidibabe

How is this working out for you? Did you complete your training? Have you been able to secure an IT position?
Would like to learn from your experience. Cheers!
Re: I Want To Revive My IT Career. Please Advice! by geostrata(m): 9:15am On Feb 11, 2018
any update

(1) (Reply)

Become A Real Estate Consultant, Register For Free, Get Paid And Thank Me Later / Should I Venture Into Yahoo Yahoo ? Advice ! / Facility Officer At Megamound Investment Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.