Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,549 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / . (11846 Views)

. / With The Uk Government Restrictions On Work: / My Experiences In A Uk Immigration Detention Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by kunlaxo: 6:56pm On Jul 11, 2012
AjanleKoko: Naijas sef.
Going about accumulating useless degrees. All in a bid to escape their destinies tongue

Guy u make more than a sence..I lost a very close friend of mine (school mate@Unilag)..just 2months ago under their hash weather after accumulating Lots of pally Bsc Unilag..Mba UK..ACA..Acca uk..CIS..he complained of cold in the evening before he died and in the morning he died..The guy was genious...so painful infact i cried.....vanity upon vanity.
Re: . by Iceslizer(f): 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2012
Now, THAT is scary..
Re: . by 1forall: 7:33pm On Jul 11, 2012
This has always been a no-brainer, we knew and said this would happen back when they were proposing the measures, they should explain what went wrong with their projections for the aftermath of their 'reduce net immigration' campaign. Didn't they foresee this? Lol cheesy
Re: . by baslone: 7:51pm On Jul 11, 2012
Donxavier: . But wetin man go do? Isn't like to get job in nigeria is easy like that. Unless you re extremely connected or extremely brilliant getting a decent job in Nigeria as at today is very tough with only few making the cut, while the rest languish in frustration and desperation. To me, all this talk of 'it is better to slug it out in naija than jand' is bullshit or 'if only nigerians would apply half of the determination to go abroad to hustle in their home they would make it' is utter bollocks. Naija is in a very bad shape with things getting worse daily yet I don't deny that some are thriving. I think it depends on what works for you.

If you are lazy, you are lazy! No two ways round Ȋ̝̊̅†. If you are destined to die broke, if you like- relocate τ̲̅ȍ the moon, nuttin would change! Dead brain ωȊ̝̊̅†̥̥ђ those papers is the bullocks. A̶̲̥̅ smart hustler will always make Ȋ̝̊̅† anywhere ι̥η the world! My opinion!
Re: . by FutureDon(m): 8:17pm On Jul 11, 2012
SimonAndal: Lol. So at last he changed it. He shoulda left the law in place and see UK crumble like *insert really poor country's name*

Hehe, you mean Greece? tongue
Re: . by FutureDon(m): 8:20pm On Jul 11, 2012
Going about accumulating useless degrees. All in a bid to escape their destinies tongue

Sir, you mean all Najias going to the UK for studies dey do so to 'accumulate' useless degrees?
Re: . by FutureDon(m): 8:27pm On Jul 11, 2012
kunlaxo:

Guy u make more than a sence..I lost a very close friend of mine (school mate@Unilag)..just 2months ago under their hash weather after accumulating Lots of pally Bsc Unilag..Mba UK..ACA..Acca uk..CIS..he complained of cold in the evening before he died and in the morning he died..The guy was genious...so painful infact i cried.....vanity upon vanity.

Hey Bro, sorry about your friend's loss. Shey na only UK get harsh weather?

1 Like

Re: . by member479760: 8:59pm On Jul 11, 2012
some of the schools go soon close if they block the goodies that make people flow in.
Re: . by iiiyyyk(m): 9:22pm On Jul 11, 2012
nakedall: some of the schools go soon close if they block the goodies that make people flow in.
very true, especially colleges.

if thaT policy is not changed, in the next two years uk will be goin from india to africa begging student to come and study. grin grin grin
Re: . by benlay(m): 10:25pm On Jul 11, 2012
I know the policy would not last, I just discussed this with a friend few weeks ago.
Re: . by maninmood(m): 10:44pm On Jul 11, 2012
Billyonaire: Which sensible Government will bar students from bringing in money into his country in exchange for knowledge ? Immigration in simple english is closing your gates against jobless foreigners. I wish everybody has my mindset, then UK will be begging people to visit them. Old school people.

From your recent posts, the aversion you have for UK is quite obvious. Bro, reduce the acrimony grin
Re: . by justwise(m): 11:25pm On Jul 11, 2012
Going about accumulating[b] useless degrees.[/b] All in a bid to escape their destinies tongue

Any idea where one can get useful degree?

1 Like

Re: . by justwise(m): 11:29pm On Jul 11, 2012
kunlaxo:

What loads of rubbish! How many foreign students have died of cold in the UK?

Anyway may the soul of your friend rest in peace.
Re: . by AjanleKoko: 8:29am On Jul 12, 2012
FutureDon:

Sir, you mean all Najias going to the UK for studies dey do so to 'accumulate' useless degrees?

At least 90% of degrees they get from the UK are useless. 90 percent are MBAs, the rest a smattering of something between MSC in IT or Msc in International Business. Do you know how many people I know with these degrees, still pounding the streets in Naija, millions of Naira later?

justwise:

Any idea where one can get useful degree?

In my opinion, medical degrees are probably the most useful, when you're talking degrees. All over the world, even in Nigeria, there's still some demand for doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. If you take the pains, you can prolly make a decent living for yourself.

90% of graduate degrees studied abroad by Nigerians end in 'Management'. Meaning, no particular skill is taught. I particularly abhor the mindset that pushes Nigerians to find the easiest program to get admitted to. Of course the Brits have figured it out, which is why there are various 'UK education consultants' permanently camped in Nigeria, marketing all kinds of useless degree programs. Useless in my context means, those programs are not useful in Nigeria, and cannot add any value to the nation.
Re: . by justwise(m): 8:59am On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

At least 90% of degrees they get from the UK are useless. 90 percent are MBAs, the rest a smattering of something between MSC in IT or Msc in International Business. Do you know how many people I know with these degrees, still pounding the streets in Naija, millions of Naira later?

In my opinion, medical degrees are probably the most useful, when you're talking degrees. All over the world, even in Nigeria, there's still some demand for doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. If you take the pains, you can prolly make a decent living for yourself.

90% of graduate degrees studied abroad by Nigerians end in 'Management'. Meaning, no particular skill is taught.

This is strange thing coming from somebody like you, what area of IT are you referring to? Tell me any sector that can function in this present days without IT, any?. I don't know where you get your 90% from but its highly random figure and to say that there is no skill in Management is false because even the ability to manage anything at all is 'skill' in itself.

Having the ability to manage a successful business is a 'skill' that very few people have.

Everybody will not be a medical doctor, doctors/hospitals need to be managed and it takes skills.

1 Like

Re: . by AjanleKoko: 12:27pm On Jul 12, 2012
justwise:

This is strange thing coming from somebody like you, what area of IT are you referring to? Tell me any sector that can function in this present days without IT, any?. I don't know where you get your 90% from but its highly random figure and to say that there is no skill in Management is false because even the ability to manage anything at all is 'skill' in itself.

Having the ability to manage a successful business is a 'skill' that very few people have.

Everybody will not be a medical doctor, doctors/hospitals need to be managed and it takes skills.

MBA in IT is useful for what?
I'd really like to know what kind of skills you'd possess with an MBA in IT and no work experience. Or what anybody would employ you to do.

Someone who hasn't even learnt how to do anything, what is the use of 'management' skill to that person? Most of the UK MBA graduates just show up back in Nigeria with little or no work experience. Many end up as bank markets or telco customer service personnel if they're lucky. Some take up music and fashion designing, which begs the question why they bothered to study MBA when they could have just as well have studied fashion or music.

At least, healthcare is an area where Nigeria is sorely lacking in personnel. People who studied engineering in Nigeria relocate to the US and end up becoming nurses and physiotherapists. That alone should tell you something. Oh, and by the way, there are healthcare related admin or management courses offered to people who have foundation medical degrees. Like the master in public health, and in medical administration. I'd be surprised if they allow you to study for those degrees with any bachelor's degree.

As far as I am concerned, it would have been better if you went to the UK to study art, music, or even fashion, than some of the nondescript degrees collected by Nigerians. At least then you would have a skill.
Re: . by AjanleKoko: 12:35pm On Jul 12, 2012
MBA in IT is useful for what?
I'd really like to know what kind of skills you'd possess with an MBA in IT and no work experience. Or what anybody would employ you to do. To 'manage' IT?
You can't manage IT if you don't have fundamental IT experience. You can't manage what you don't know. It's just like people studying for an MBA in Oil and Gas (some UK universities are offering that also!), thinking that would land you a job in the oil and gas sector.

Someone who hasn't even learnt how to do anything, what is the use of 'management' skill to that person? Most of the UK MBA graduates just show up back in Nigeria with little or no work experience. Many end up as bank markets or telco customer service personnel if they're lucky. Some take up music and fashion designing, which begs the question why they bothered to study MBA when they could have just as well have studied fashion or music.

At least, healthcare is an area where Nigeria is sorely lacking in personnel. People who studied engineering in Nigeria relocate to the US and end up becoming nurses and physiotherapists. That alone should tell you something. Oh, and by the way, there are healthcare related admin or management courses offered to people who have foundation medical degrees. Like the master in public health, and in medical administration. I'd be surprised if they allow you to study for those degrees with any bachelor's degree.

As far as I am concerned, it would have been better if you went to the UK to study art, music, or even fashion, than some of the nondescript degrees collected by Nigerians. At least then you would have a skill. All I am saying is, don't waste your time and money.
Re: . by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko: MBA in IT is useful for what?
I'd really like to know what kind of skills you'd possess with an MBA in IT and no work experience. Or what anybody would employ you to do. To 'manage' IT?
You can't manage IT if you don't have fundamental IT experience. You can't manage what you don't know. It's just like people studying for an MBA in Oil and Gas (some UK universities are offering that also!), thinking that would land you a job in the oil and gas sector.

As far as I am concerned, it would have been better if you went to the UK to study art, music, or even fashion, than some of the nondescript degrees collected by Nigerians. At least then you would have a skill. All I am saying is, don't waste your time and money.
. Okay, how do you suggest a fresh grad goes about getting a job? I agree that some of the degrees maybe bogus but at least they are not just sitting down hoping something turns up in naija. I know what I am saying cos am set for masters in uk by september and it ends in management lol(supply chain management). Offcourse if I got a decent job I probably would put off the masters, but none yet. I have gone for some job aptitude tests but still nothing. I am still serving by the way. My point is I understand why many grads jump abroad for masters, at least if one uses the opportunity well one would better off if not for anything at least for the experience and I also heard your chances of getting a good job out of grad school is very high if you finish with high grades regardless of the recession or job situation. I suspect you had it easy as per starting your career and having a job, so it maybe hard to understand. I have not even finished serving yet but am already getting frustrated at the bleak job situation in the country, imagine guys that have been at home for a year,2,3 or even 5. Which is also why the endless debate about whether to stay in Nigeria like you alluded to earlier when u said something about escaping their destinies depends really on where you make money. I love Nigeria but there's no point in living here if I can't make a decent living here. If I go to the uk and I make it there fine. Same thing too, no point in suffering in the uk if nothing isn't working for you. Come back home. Different strokes for different folks. I know most people abroad want to come home, but they are angry at the state of affairs in the country. I have an uncle like that. His wife tells me anything they are away they all long to come back home, but when they step back in the country and see the way things are, it's a turn off. What makes it especially painful is thinking how the nation could have been if we just had good leaders, leaders that love their country. Sorry for the long rant, but am sure this sumarises well why many grads including myself are jumping abroad.

1 Like

Re: . by AjanleKoko: 1:35pm On Jul 12, 2012
^^
Well, what do you plan to do with the Supply Chain Management degree? It's going to set you back some couple of millions, less ticket and living expenses. Have you really thought about what you'll do with it? This thing is not a lottery, you know.

Yes, there aren't any jobs in Nigeria. Unfortunately so, but what would you expect?

Why not get a volunteer job for the experience? Or learn a trade even?
I hear these days, Canadian immigration is open only to tradesmen. I'm not being sarcastic; it is an option.
Re: . by TinTin18(f): 1:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
Ajalenkoko- Oh, and by the way, there are healthcare related admin or management courses offered to people who have foundation medical degrees. Like the master in public health, and in medical administration. I'd be surprised if they allow you to study for those degrees with any bachelor's degree.

I'm sorry but the bolded bit is where you're wrong. I've got a BSc in Computer Science and I've been offered a place at Warwick to study for a Masters degree in Public Health (MPH) and I also have a PhD offer in Health Policy. Need I say that I already have a Masters in Business Management so your health background theory is again wrong. At the end of the day, what the admissions committee is looking for are 1) your enthusiasm to learn, 2) your previous experience in the field of study or related and 3)your money grin.

P.S. I have no clinical experience whatsoever.
Re: . by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko: ^^
Well, what do you plan to do with the Supply Chain Management degree? It's going to set you back some couple of millions, less ticket and living expenses. Have you really thought about what you'll do with it? This thing is not a lottery, you know.

Yes, there aren't any jobs in Nigeria. Unfortunately so, but what would you expect?

I hear these days, Canadian immigration is open only to tradesmen. I'm not being sarcastic; it is an option.

Well it's to get a good job. My thinking is if I can come out well and by that I mean finishing with high grades in supply chain management it would be easier to break into the manufacturing sector here in Nigeria. Companies like P&G,GE,Nestle, Unilever, Cadbury or the likes where that masters degree is quite useful or the logistics officer at any multinational especially the oil coys grin

Well it's to get a good job. My thinking is if I can come out well and by that I mean finishing with high grades in supply chain management it would be easier to break into the manufacturing sector here in Nigeria. Companies like P&G,GE,Nestle, Unilever, Cadbury or the likes where that masters degree is quite useful or the logistics officer at any multinational especially the oil coys(who no want better job). My plan is to intern in a relevant workplace as I study so I can add that to my CV. I chose supply chain because of it's wide range appeal to different sectors. And then also to marry my Gmat for now and still keep on applying. My hope really is to secure offers even while doing the masters, I heard many multinationals based in Nigeria come abroad to recruit Outstanding nigerian students and that there are career fairs abroad. All these opportunities are not available here. Also the change of environment brings with it a broadening of the horizon, and a chance for self improvement. This are my hopes as I plan to study abroad. How does one get a volunteer job?
Re: . by AjanleKoko: 2:16pm On Jul 12, 2012
^^
Unilever just completed a graduate recruitment exercise. That's probably the only way a fresh grad with no experience can get a job with them.
A corper who served in my department at work got a job with them earlier in the year. A Masters Degree is not a criteria for most graduate programs in MNCs, in Nigeria. Usually a good degree will suffice.

And to answer your question: Volunteer jobs abound, in volunteer organizations. Religious, or social entrepreneurship organizations. Most especially churches. Most of them maintain an extensive administrative network, and often need workers for little or no pay. Then there are lower-level jobs, in small organizations, or contract jobs. You could try to get some of them.

TinTin18:

I'm sorry but the bolded bit is where you're wrong. I've got a BSc in Computer Science and I've been offered a place at Warwick to study for a Masters degree in Public Health (MPH) and I also have a PhD offer in Health Policy. Need I say that I already have a Masters in Business Management so your health background theory is again wrong. At the end of the day, what the admissions committee is looking for are 1) your enthusiasm to learn, 2) your previous experience in the field of study or related and 3)your money grin.

P.S. I have no clinical experience whatsoever.

Okay.
So most likely, number 3 is the only reason they are admitting you. Reason 1 is hogwash in my view.
Re: . by TinTin18(f): 2:33pm On Jul 12, 2012

Okay.
So most likely, number 3 is the only reason they are admitting you. Reason 1 is hogwash in my view.

If that's how you feel, that's fine. I don't think so, neither do I believe so. At the end of the day, I wrote a proposal and had an interview with my prospective supervisors. I believe that as professionaLs/specialists in their areas of interest, if they didn't see the potential in me to contribute something significant to the research community, they wouldn't have made the offer (Phd).

Speaking of Public health here in England, you can apply whether you have a clinical background or not. And if you know about Public Health and Epidemiology, you'll know it involves a lot of statistics (lots and lots of data) relating to medical type stuff. At the end of the day, if you're good in maths and statistics with a functioning brain able to remember all the medical terms, you'll be fine.
Re: . by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 12, 2012
[quote author=AjanleKoko]^^
Unilever just completed a graduate recruitment exercise. That's probably the only way a fresh grad with no experience can get a job with them.
A corper who served in my department at work got a job with them earlier in the year. A Masters Degree is not a criteria for most graduate programs in MNCs, in Nigeria. Usually a good degree will suffice.

True, a good degree would get one in. And that's if you got it right the first time. For some, the masters gets you entry to what the 2.1 or the First offers. But the odds are very steep either way you look at it. That would mean coming out tops in the rigorous recruitment process and even then very few are chosen. I remember the cadbury recruitment last year when only 10 were chosen from 30000 as Graduate trainees. Do the maths. That's one in every 3000. The masters surely must give one an edge. I really dunno maybe people knowledgeable in how firms recruit in Nigeria at the moment can attest to the benefit of relevant foreign degrees and foreign work experience. I know most of the top dogs leading many industries in Nigeria now had a stint abroad during their careers. I have heard stories of how people secured jobs in naija after masters abroad with minimal work experience. One thing I know is relying on your first degree alone is too risky now to make it in this very competitive nigeria now. Unless one is a first class graduate or a genius one is likely to bite his fingers. I think with the masters the odds of getting a job is enhanced.

1 Like

Re: . by AjanleKoko: 2:54pm On Jul 12, 2012
TinTin18:

If that's how you feel, that's fine. I don't think so, neither do I believe so. At the end of the day, I wrote a proposal and had an interview with my prospective supervisors. I believe that as professionaLs/specialists in their areas of interest, if they didn't see the potential in me to contribute something significant to the research community, they wouldn't have made the offer (Phd).

Speaking of Public health here in England, you can apply whether you have a clinical background or not. And if you know about Public Health and Epidemiology, you'll know it involves a lot of statistics (lots and lots of data) relating to medical type stuff. At the end of the day, if you're good in maths and statistics with a functioning brain able to remember all the medical terms, you'll be fine.

I would rather continue in devil's-advocate mode and say, well, they have to make an offer to somebody grin
You seem to have lots of degrees already, and you can afford it. Logical that they would be making you the offer. grin
Re: . by TinTin18(f): 3:12pm On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I would rather continue in devil's-advocate mode and say, well, they have to make an offer to somebody grin
You seem to have lots of degrees already, and you can afford it. Logical that they would be making you the offer. grin

Now that I see where you're coming from, I won't argue with you.

I'm sure you know that admitting crap students will affect their ranking on the league table. I'd hate to think that the top 15 unis in England will accept students just for their money rather than their ability to perform well and fly the institution's flag.

May I add that, I work for the health service but not in a clinical role. I'd like to believe that reason 2 i quoted above is also valid. I know you're sticking to and with reason 3 but that doesn't apply in all cases. Having said that, education(al) providers don't run a charity ;d. They're offering a servicer (per say).
Re: . by Vergil: 3:48pm On Jul 12, 2012

And to answer your question: Volunteer jobs abound, in volunteer organizations. Religious, or social entrepreneurship organizations. Most especially churches. Most of them maintain an extensive administrative network, and often need workers for little or no pay. Then there are lower-level jobs, in small organizations, or contract jobs. You could try to get some of them.

Okay.

You never answered his question. What happens is Unilever didn't work out like he said, jobs in Nige don't? Understand you said voluntary jobs. But obviously, he can't do that for 2, 3, 4 yrs now can he?

So what could be done? You still think going out of the country is a bad idea? Bearing in mind, it's just an option
Re: . by AjanleKoko: 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2012
Vergil:

You never answered his question. What happens is Unilever didn't work out like he said, jobs in Nige don't? Understand you said voluntary jobs. But obviously, he can't do that for 2, 3, 4 yrs now can he?

So what could be done? You still think going out of the country is a bad idea? Bearing in mind, it's just an option

I don't particularly think going out of the country is a bad idea.
But people go out of the country, spend lots of money on accumulating degrees I consider to be useless, and come back to the country - to pursue jobs all over again.

Fact is, the schools have figured this out, and have focused on marketing to Nigerians. That is the part I don't like. I personally think we're being exploited, especially now that they're on this so-called clampdown on immigration nonsense.
Re: . by Vergil: 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2012
Donxavier: . But wetin man go do? Isn't like to get job in nigeria is easy like that. Unless you re extremely connected or extremely brilliant getting a decent job in Nigeria as at today is very tough with only few making the cut, while the rest languish in frustration and desperation. To me, all this talk of 'it is better to slug it out in naija than jand' is bullshit or 'if only nigerians would apply half of the determination to go abroad to hustle in their home they would make it' is utter bollocks. Naija is in a very bad shape with things getting worse daily yet I don't deny that some are thriving. I think it depends on what works for you.

Guy! Don't mind them! They just chat/write all sort of cold rubbish
Re: . by Vergil: 3:59pm On Jul 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I don't particularly think going out of the country is a bad idea.
But people go out of the country, spend lots of money on accumulating degrees I consider to be useless, and come back to the country - to pursue jobs all over again. Fact is, the schools have figured this out, and have focused on marketing to Nigerians.

You miss a point he said. He says, instead of just siting around doing nothing, he could use that opportunity to do a masters, learn something with the free time, asides voluntary jobs (which a guy could have done for a year and still no job in Nige). So during the second year, instead of going on in a voluntary job; go for a masters (not everybody is into trading).
Although, he'd be spending money. Isn't this a good idea then? Or it's still a waste of money? Note, he could be fortunate to get experience from internships or something better.

So now, what's your take...?
Re: . by AjanleKoko: 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2012
Vergil:

You miss a point he said. He says, instead of just siting around doing nothing, he could use that opportunity to do a masters, learn something with the free time, asides voluntary jobs (which a guy could have done for a year and still no job in Nige). So during the second year, instead of going on in a voluntary job; go for a masters (not everybody is into trading).
Although, he'd be spending money. Isn't this a good idea then? Or it's still a waste of money? Note, he could be fortunate to get experience from internships or something better.

So now, what's your take...?

So long as he has a plan, that is entirely his responsibility.

Ah, well. Next thing people will accuse me of killing their dreams, or raining on their parade. embarassed
So I'll leave it at that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Relocate To JOS Or OSHOGBO??? / Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? / Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.