Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? (2456 Views)

Skye Bank Sacks 350 Staff Of Mainstreet Bank / 800 Sacked Mainstreet Bank Staff Protest / Aribank / Mainstreet Bank Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by adesteve: 11:16pm On Jul 11, 2012
I work with one of the International banks in Nigeria that starts with 'S' but i have been on the same grade (Senior Officer) for the past 3 years and i am poorly paid in relative terms. In view of current appraisals and 'goal-posts', salary increase is not guaranteed for now and not happy about our system and processes. You can say that i am dissatisfied! Just heard that Mainstreet Bank (formerly AfriBank), one of the nationalized banks, is recruiting experienced staff and i am being persuaded to apply. What do you think, my senior colleagues? Should i go and negotiate for the next two levels in MainStreet? Is the risk worth taking? Please, i need your sincere and frank advice.
@Moderators, please move this topic to the front page so that i can get maximum response. Thank you.
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by nitrogen(m): 7:27am On Jul 12, 2012
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by nitrogen(m): 7:28am On Jul 12, 2012
adesteve: I work with one of the International banks in Nigeria that starts with 'S' but i have been on the same grade (Senior Officer) for the past 3 years and i am poorly paid in relative terms. In view of current appraisals and 'goal-posts', salary increase is not guaranteed for now and not happy about our system and processes. You can say that i am dissatisfied! Just heard that Mainstreet Bank (formerly AfriBank), one of the nationalized banks, is recruiting experienced staff and i am being persuaded to apply. What do you think, my senior colleagues? Should i go and negotiate for the next two levels in MainStreet? Is the risk worth taking? Please, i need your sincere and frank advice.
@Moderators, please move this topic to the front page so that i can get maximum response. Thank you.
From a layman's view; sequel to the recent loss of jobs(including experienced employees), esp. in these nationalized banks, i think you should put into consideration job security and dont forget that patience is the key.
Btw, arent those nationalized banks to be sold off soon? (an assumption mind you) and that can be dangerous.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by adesteve: 9:41am On Jul 12, 2012
@nitrogen
Thank you...more good heads are better than one
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by Alamutatalo: 9:56pm On Jul 14, 2012
@adesteve,I'm a living victim of restructuring LOL!and I'll tell you it's not easy but look @ it from this angle,
Nxt 2 levels and confirmation after two months will give you an edge you can never get if you remain in your comfort zone and don't take the risk.
Pls join mainstreet on a higher grade and ensure you get confirmed in the shortest possible time,then move to anyother bank with your new grade.Months of deep reflection has made me realise the smartest thing a banker can do is to switch banks regularly.
Don't fear mainstreet bank will not be sold in the next one year!
Will be grateful if you can share how to apply or gimme a link somhw.
Email-alamutatalo@yahoo.com.One love!

1 Like

Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by Alamutatalo: 9:59pm On Jul 14, 2012
6months I mean
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by Omonla77: 10:44pm On Jul 14, 2012
@Alamutatalo

I quite agree with you. Considering MB while working for a foreign-owned bank would be considered 'foolish' by many but the question is this-is there any 'security' in banking job anymore? Bankers have become an endangered species!
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by benJAVA: 2:39pm On Jul 18, 2012
No more job security! no how long will u continue 2 live in fear of bin fired, i think by now u should b thinking of starting ur own business n save u n ur family 4rm future shock!
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by bayleaf(m): 1:58pm On Dec 04, 2012
adesteve: I work with one of the International banks in Nigeria that starts with 'S' but i have been on the same grade (Senior Officer) for the past 3 years and i am poorly paid in relative terms. In view of current appraisals and 'goal-posts', salary increase is not guaranteed for now and not happy about our system and processes. You can say that i am dissatisfied! Just heard that Mainstreet Bank (formerly AfriBank), one of the nationalized banks, is recruiting experienced staff and i am being persuaded to apply. What do you think, my senior colleagues? Should i go and negotiate for the next two levels in MainStreet? Is the risk worth taking? Please, i need your sincere and frank advice.
my brother, i know the bank you work in from what you have described and i also work there. to tell you the truth, most of my colleagues have moved over to union bank with better pay. if you have the opportunity, please take it.
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by Adesiji77: 5:12pm On Dec 04, 2012
@bayleaf....Please, how did your friends cross over to Union Bank? I am highly interested!
Re: Should I Crossover To Mainstreet Bank??? by bayleaf(m): 11:20am On Dec 07, 2012
Adesiji77: @bayleaf....Please, how did your friends cross over to Union Bank? I am highly interested!
well, one of our 'big oga' moved over there and he of course took his people along with him. but then, i heard they recruit from time to time.

(1) (Reply)

Do I Pay Or Not To Publish My FYP? / Qualification For Chevron Job / Nigerian Society Of Engineer Past Examination Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.